Blind Item: Hit Show Takes a Flying Leap

Bones won’t be the only show doing the time warp this fall. Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that another hourlong hit with a crazy-rabid, er, passionate fan base will jump forward in time — but there’s a twist.

Unlike Bones, which is implementing a six-month bounce between Seasons 6 and 7, the show in question will pick up right where last May’s season-ending cliffhanger left off… and then flash forward at some point during the episode.

Hot for Summer: Your July Premieres Calendar

The insider wouldn’t reveal the exact magnitude of the time jump, except to say that it will be somewhere between three and 18 months. The source adds, somewhat cryptically, that, “Things are very different when the action picks up. A lot happens during that [skipped] time.”

Think you know which show I’m talking about? Hit the comments with your theories! Looking for additional clues? Follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello and you may get your wish!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Blind Item, Fall TV Preview, News, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. bruitnery spearzz says:

OBVIOUSLY it’s got to be Sunny with a Chance,
    Duh guys , really??

2. melody says:

It’s definitely The Vampire Diaries. We ARE the most passionate, rapid fans considering a tv show

3. penelope says:

“another hourlong hit with a crazy-rabid, er, passionate fan base” -the only thing that came to my mind was Glee. (I haven’t seen the other comments :|)

• maggie says:

“Glee” can’t fast-forward 18 months because it would age the students out of high school. They would have to start over with a whole new cast.

4. Erin says:

Definitely The Vampire Diaries!!

5. maggie says:

It has to be “House.” They need to have House go to jail or a mental institution, get out and find a way to keep his medical license. That could easily be 18 months. That way they can show House back at work, rather than all the stuff resulting because of his driving a car into Cuddy’s house. And they can show the new person in charge of the hospital already established as the Dean of Medicine by the time House comes back.

6. Gilda says:

Like others, my first guess was Castle. It picks up with Beckett in the ER, but then jumps ahead to a few months later after they save her. I know some pretty rabid Castle fans. House could also work, too. What if it starts with him getting arrested in whatever country he’s in, and then he spends a few months in prison or something?
    But now I’m thinking, what about Fringe? It could pick up with the meeting between alter-selves, and then skip ahead a few month so the characters are firmly planted in the Peter-less universe? That’s my guess. Fringe’s fans are pretty dedicated.

7. Kristal says:

I really hope its Supernatural.

8. Kristyl says:

My thoughts are Castle. Will pick up right where Kate got shot and the ‘i love you’ from Rick; We will see all the complications of the gun shot and the outcomes – surgery hear about recovery time etc then it’ll jump forward after Kate has recovered and back on the job, the dynamic duo back to their fun teasing selves and hopefully much closer to a romantic relationship :) We can only hope

9. Ash says:

Could be Gossip Girl?

10. M. says:

It can actually be any show.House is the one who fits better.It can also be TVD,but I don’t think so.HIMYM wouldn’t fit,I mean,Lily and Marshall would have their baby,and the wedding…no.Could be Chuck,but I don’t think they’ll skip the part when Morgan is starting to get used to the intersect,cuz it must be really funny.Gossip Girl would be weird too,if they skip that time,what happens with Blair’s pregnancy?They wouldn’t be able to explore that.Anyway,I think it’s house.

11. zeo says:

well I’m going to say Chuck just because that’s the only scripted show I watch (besides TVD, but 1. I don’t like that show too much 2. I really can’t see them fastforwarding. It just would not make sense. I think people are just saying TVD as to not feel left out. 3. It’s not a one word title.)and also the spoiler seems to fit. I can see them picking up right after Morgan first downloads the Intersect and then fastforwarding a few months…

12. Amy says:

i put my money on Castle

13. Julio says:

Oh, come on — the headline totally gives it away! “Hit show takes a flying LEAP.” The time-traveling character on “Quantum Leap” was Dr. Sam Beckett. What current show has a character named Beckett? Duh, it’s “Castle.”

• tiavro says:

omg DUH! How could we all have missed that!

• Kristyl says:

That is actually quite clever. I had my money on Castle before I read your post and never thought of it that way but now that you’ve pointed that out it erases a lot of doubt :P

• Sirunen says:

But the very same Dr. Sam Beckett was played by Scott Bakula who also portrayed Chuck’s father Stephen Bartowski.
      So, the show could be Chuck…

• Muj says:

I think the big clue is the crazy-rabid fans,and thus it has to be Supernatural.

14. Faith says:

What about Grey’s Anatomy? We’re pretty rabid (ask Shonda) and it would be cool.

15. Ellie says:

The show having a one-word title and rabid fans makes me think it’s Supernatural. Other shows may be bigger hits, but their fans aren’t as crazy.

16. St.Jon Clark says:

Supernatural fits best and makes sense with all other news out there.
    Rabid fan base- there was actually a survey and Supernatural has the strongest online fandom: http://bit.ly/mP3UVM
    Between seasons 6 and 7- check
    Season ending cliffhanger needing resolution- check
    Post cliffhanger announcement that new season would not feature cliffhanger dependent character lending itself to the idea of a timejump- check and mate

17. trackerem says:

supernatural fans are called rabid by everyone, it’s the best clue given. has to be spnl!

• McKay says:

Rabid is the only clue that points to SPN but it can’t be SPN because it’s not really considered a “hit TV show”, it’s more a cult hit if anything. The clues point to Castle – primarily “leap” in the title. Leap = Quantum Leap = Sam Beckett = Beckett in Castle.

18. eviltwit says:

Fringe.

19. McKay says:

Guys, it is NOT SPN! The absolute only clue that could ever point to it being SPN is that the fans are rabid! Everything else points to Castle!

1) Flying Leap…odd choice of words but read again. Leap = Quantum Leap = Sam Beckett. Beckett = Castle.

2) Hit show. SPN isn’t really a hit. It’s on a 3rd rate network and can only really be described as a cult hit (don’t go mental it’s an honest truth and I used to be a fan).

3) Castle tends to stick to a more real time idea with months passing between hiatus. But with the last finale, they want to finish that part of the story and then probably switch forward to avoid dealing with any recovery time.

4) Time jumps in SPN aren’t exactly something shock worthy – they jump forward in time, back in time, Goundhog day the show – it’s hardly a shocker!

The clues point to Castle, it HAS to be Castle – leap is the big clue here.

20. Pam says:

it’s gotta be Chuck!! :D

21. Nate says:

Supernatural. That is my guess. Rabid fanbase? Check.
    An insider says “Things are very different when the action picks up. A lot happens during that [skipped] time.” Since the end of Season 6 and the CW’s press release of Season 7 as Sam and Dean being alone and facing a threat they have never seen before? We know Cas will have limited involvement….things sound like they will be very different. Check!

22. alessio says:

I haven’t been through all the comments (too many, sorry), but if someone has already mentioned it – my bad, but I think it’s THE MENTALIST. Any thoughts?

23. Sarah says:

First thought that came to mind: Gossip Girl. With that pregnancy cliffhanger and this, it’s definitely possible. And GG fans are rabid.

TVD… Is possible too but I don’t think they will be able to flashforward from the problems created from May’s cliffhanger.

24. John says:

It’s probably not this, but my out of left field guess was The Killing. Perhaps due to the backlash from the end of last season.

25. Thais says:

To me, it definitely sounds like Gossip Girl.

26. Abby says:

Vampire Diaries. Stefan has got to travel some with Klaus and to further down this “dark” road before he comes back to deal with the repercussions at home… I don’t thunk it would be interesting for him to be gone, off camara doing these things and we don’t hear or see him for several episodes. But that’s me.

27. Chance says:

Being involved with all these shows, the only show with the most rapid fans is Supernatural.
    But Supernatural is a underrated show so that takes out the hit factor.
    In the creator told the fans that there picking up where they left off at the end of Season 6.

So im thinking either Castle or Fringe fit the bill.

28. Jooshua says:

In ask ausiello someone asked if the answer to this blind item was Supernatural and he replied ‘Nope’

So it’s not Supernatural.. it’s got to be Castle

29. David Shore says:

Its house… cause I said so.

30. Leah says:

I put my money on Castle.

31. TJCrinc says:

i would vote castle and chuck. Castle, because it takes a long time after a surgery like beckett will go through, in order to recover back to where you can be the run and gun work of the NYPD. and i think chuck would be it because the very last episode of last season was called “Chuck vs The Cliffhanger”

32. Krista says:

Ausiello tweeted that it is a show with a one-word title. So, Vampire Diaries, Private Practice, etc. are all out. I think it has to be Castle.
    1) Every episode is about solving a case. Beckett’s down for the count and has to recover to be up to detective work.
    2) Castle follows real time (anyone else REALLY missing WriteRCastle’s tweets since the show’s out of sync with the real world?)
    3)AWM already said there would be a time leap.

So, the only thing this blind item would add to what Castle fans already know are the statements that “things are very different” and “a *lot* has happened during the skipped time.”

33. Josephine says:

what about Criminal Minds… that one is already said to take a time jump… and that would be a way of explaining how they got ride of Seaver and brought Prentiss and JJ back very fast… and it is already confirmed that the two of them will be back from the beginning…
    Plus that fan base is rapid as well after all they mannaged to get their two favorite girls back… plus the season joke comment would also fit with CM, if it had any other meaning than the direct Bones one

34. Yogi says:

Its sons of anarchy

35. Ang says:

It’s Dexter article on tvguide.com

36. Sarah says:

Dexter or criminal minds are both including time jumps since the finales

37. Megan says:

This is exactly how “Rescue Me” started last week, but that’s two words. It could be anyone or all of these shows.

38. Jooshua says:

Was this ever answered? Because I have been thinking about it for a seriously long time..

39. Cheyenne says:

I was thinking NCIS, but not sure that would be a blind item seeing as everyone (well, the fans anyway) already know about it…

40. Marissa says:

Fringe! How else are they gonna get Peter back…

41. HELLO! says:

Seriously – if it premiered tonight – Castle.

42. Ken says:

Castle jumped 3 months from where it started the episode ~.~

43. Jloo says:

I’m almost positive it’s House. I saw a write-up about how Taub is struggling with being the father of two children the same age by the end of the first episode. While this could mean the women are still pregnant the write-up showed a pic of the actor with two children about 18 months old. For the record: I think this story line on House is cute but totally off-base when it comes to House.

44. LCY says:

What about Grey’s Anatomy? Fast forward to Mer+Der together (to spare us that whole redux) and Xtina 6months plus preggers?

45. Laura says:

Hey All…(Spoiler Alert)…I do believe that it was Castle, they had a time jump on last night’s episode.

46. Crystal says:

It’s Supernatural. If you watched the clip that was going around the internet last week, then you’ll know the seventh season premier starts off right where the sixth season finale ended. AND we certainly are a bunch of rabid fans!

47. Jon says:

My vote is going to Supernatural.