Fall TV Preview

Blind Item: Hit Show Takes a Flying Leap

Bones won’t be the only show doing the time warp this fall. Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that another hourlong hit with a crazy-rabid, er, passionate fan base will jump forward in time — but there’s a twist.

Unlike Bones, which is implementing a six-month bounce between Seasons 6 and 7, the show in question will pick up right where last May’s season-ending cliffhanger left off… and then flash forward at some point during the episode.

Hot for Summer: Your July Premieres Calendar

The insider wouldn’t reveal the exact magnitude of the time jump, except to say that it will be somewhere between three and 18 months. The source adds, somewhat cryptically, that, “Things are very different when the action picks up. A lot happens during that [skipped] time.”

Think you know which show I’m talking about? Hit the comments with your theories! Looking for additional clues? Follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello and you may get your wish!

Tags:

Comments (437)

• “Crazy-rabid” makes me think that it’s The Vampire Diaries because, well, one could make a *strong* argument that a werewolf bite’s effect on a vampire is sort of a supernatural version of rabies.

Comment by Rob J. – July 1, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Going with what everyone has said already – has to be “Castle”….bring it on, Marlowe, bring it on!!!!

Comment by Kelly – July 1, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It can’t be Castle… if only for the fact that Marlowe has already commented on their time jump. If the situation is already public knowledge, there is no reason to waste a blind item on it.

I’m thinking SVU, but probably because I’m a part of their crazy, rabid fanbase. It makes sense: they’ll pick up where the finale left off and show its fallout and the reason for Stabler’s departure, and then flash forward a few months to show life without Elliot Stabler.

If Chris Meloni is appearing in at least part of the beginning of the episode (and here’s to wishful thinking…), I’d imagine that TPTB would want to keep the information under wraps for a while, hence the BLIND ITEM. And the timing of the item fits. The two new cast members were just announced as signing on, and in order for them to appear as detectives in the season premiere, there is logically going to have to be some sort of time jump. The news of the casting would spark this information.

Comment by Emily – July 1, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One tree hill is the answer

Comment by Mr T – July 1, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first thought was HIMYM.

Comment by Terri – July 1, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “hourlong hit with a crazy-rabid, er, passionate fan base”

It’s Chuck…

“season-ending cliffhanger left off..”

“Chuck Versus the Cliffhanger” was the name of the last episode.

Comment by John Harnes – July 1, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sons of Anarchy is but since Kurt Sutter has already discussed it, I will assume it’s not that.

Comment by Jamie – July 1, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, I’m getting tired of time jumps. They quickly have become a lazy trick to refresh things without actually refreshing things.

Comment by AngrodTV – July 1, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “another hourlong hit with a crazy-rabid, er, passionate fan base”

Is any fanbase as “rabid” as Supernatural’s? They’ve even been called that!

Otherwise, any number of shows could fit a time jump. Including House and Fringe.

Comment by Kay – July 1, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • House has a rabid fanbase.

Comment by JB – July 1, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The words “rabid” and “crazy” belong to Supernatural fans above all.

Comment by Amy – July 1, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guesses are House, Chuck or Supernatural.

Comment by Captain – July 1, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • at first i thought house but now I am thinking castle much more realstic well shall see

Comment by Karen – July 1, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing the Vampire diaries :)

Comment by Lisa – July 1, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural for sure.

Comment by Ben – July 1, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking Desperate Housewives. They would pick up where it left off after the dinner party, show them hiding the body, then do a time jump. They’ve done a million time jumps already, so that wouldn’t be unexpected.

One thing though: does Housewives even have a passionate fanbase anymore? No? Oh well. Must be some other show!

Comment by Tvfan2011 – July 1, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thinking its the Vampire Diaries the aftermath of Stefan leaving and then he returns with Klaus.

Comment by Tilly – July 1, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know Castle will take place at the hospital right after Beckett’s shooting. Perhaps after that a jump in time with Beckett recovered??

Comment by Shannon – July 1, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s NOT Castle. Not because I don’t want to see this happen – but because we already KNOW that this is going to happen; anyone following the show KNOWS it’s going to happen. The reason I hope this isn’t refering to Castle is that it would make this the lamest blind item ever. If it is, DUDE – you’re slipping!

Comment by Withacy – July 1, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andrew Marlowe has already given this one away. That’s pretty much how he explained season 4 of Castle to open. Not a very “blind” item.
    From EW.com interview:
    “There may be a time cut, but we’ll probably most likely be picking up right after the events of the shooting and dealing with the aftermath. And then a time jump somewhere in the episode”

Comment by Nat – July 1, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could be CSI (the original not the clones). With Mr Fishbourne leaving and his character, at the end of the last episode, about to confess to killing Nate Haskell; the show would have to have time to deal with the after shocks and the fall out. Does Doc Ray go to trial, who gets to take the fall with him Catherine and Brass, who’s going to take LF place (nobody I hope), and when will Grissom come back for an extended visit.

Comment by ALS – July 1, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s absolutely got to be Fringe! Surely?

Comment by Sian – July 1, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is the picture a hint? Because it looks like Jensen Ackles or Joshua Jackson.

Comment by Jooshua – July 1, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see Supernatural doing this (we have the most rabid, passionate fans of any television show still on the air), but I’m not so sure it’s SPN yet.

Comment by Clarissa – July 1, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello tweeted one word title.

Comment by Taylor – July 1, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I had to choose among all the above mentioned, I’d say is House..they have a lot to explaining to do and they chose time warping–Cuddy gone and House had already made jail time and back to meeting the new Dean of Medicine at PPTH.

Comment by nitemar – July 1, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello just gave a clue on Twitter that the show is a one-word title show. That means House, Castle, Fringe, Chuck. I can’t think of others at the moment, and out of those four, the two with by far the most rabid fanbase are Fringe and Chuck. So I’m guessing it’s one of those (I’m purely guessing I don’t watch any of these shows!)

Comment by Annie – July 1, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Technically House is not a one-word title show. The title is “House M.D.”

Also, the fandom with the most rabid fans is definitely Supernatural (I know because I’m in all of those fandoms and when it comes to crazy-rabidness none of them compare to the Supernatural fans). However, Ausiello often forgets about Supernatural. So you might be right. It might be Fringe or Chuck indeed.

Comment by Nicky – July 1, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle??????

Comment by K – July 1, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s CASTLE. ;)

Comment by Vanessa – July 1, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crap. It’s “Supernatual.” So much for fallout of Sam’s wall breaking being a huge factor next season.

Comment by Kira – July 1, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love how you jump to conclusions…

Comment by Are You Kidding? – July 1, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s Supernatural. It could be a great twist!

Comment by timotey – July 1, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure it’s going to be The Event or V.

Comment by chadkk – July 1, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • right, it premiers right after the season premier of tru calling and a Smurf marathon.

Comment by tlbrownlie – July 1, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know if it’s the show behind the Blind Item, but we know that something like that gonna happen in Castle since May, from Marlowe himself

Comment by cami – July 1, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the picture looks like Dean Winchester

Comment by lester – July 1, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Terri… HIMYM.

Comment by LEGNA – July 1, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely House.

Comment by Emgee – July 1, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would totally make sense for FRINGE

Comment by MACK – July 1, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m betting it’s Castle. We want to see what happens right after Beckett gets shot, but we probably don’t want to see her recovering. A time jump of a few months makes sense.

I can’t see them skipping any time on Vampire Diaries. The whole second season only took place over the course of a few months!

Comment by SK – July 1, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s cute how people keep guessing anything but Castle.

Comment by Lisa – July 1, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Castle. Duuuuh.

Comment by sarah – July 1, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote is for Castle as well. It picks up right after the shooting and halfway through the epi is already months into the future with Beckett being fully recovered…

Comment by Babygate – July 1, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m probably on my own for this one but my guess is Vampire Diaries :)

Comment by Iwonder – July 1, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If that’s not Castle I’ll be very very very surprised!

Comment by Mirela – July 1, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s obviously Castle, not House.

Comment by Andrew – July 1, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle boat. Mainly because Marlowe hinted us before with a little time traveling and picking up where we left of. Yeah, mostly because of that.

Comment by Sara – July 1, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural. we’re the most rabid fan base, I mean we won the tv guide cover poll, come ON. :)

Comment by KP – July 1, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would rather it not be Supernatural. I would rather see things develop after last season’s finale, not skip through it all.

I would say the same about Vampire Diaries, but it looks like the “one-word title” automatically excludes that show.

Comment by Paige – July 1, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think its Chuck.

Comment by Bryan – July 1, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • o.f.f.s. It cannot be Castle. Between season six and seven anyone? Castle is not there yet. Bones is already discounted in the description. Cannot be Vampire Diaries or True Blood. ONE WORD TITLE ya mooks. It is so, so, so Supernatural. And yes, we are rabid beyond the pale. Deal with it. If someone could muster the SPN fanbase to deal with something other than a TV show we could fix the world. Because we are passionate, we vote, and we vote often and we network. I’m tellin’ ya we could achieve world peace if it suited us.

Comment by Jesmona – July 1, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How many time do we have to establish that the ‘between seasons 6 and 7′ is referring to Bones?

Comment by Jooshua – July 1, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And where does it even say one word title?

Comment by Amy – July 2, 2011 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Fringe people!

Comment by Paul – July 1, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote is for Castle. It just makes sense.

Comment by Melanie – July 1, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only truly rabid fan bases are CHUCK and SUPERNATURAL. The rest just have fan bases.

Comment by Randy – July 1, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It can’t be Castle because Marlowe has said we will flashback to the end of the finale, then jump ahead. Flashback as in already seen footage of Beckett’s shooting and the “I love you,” heard ’round the world.
    SPNL just did a big jump. I doubt it.
    It could be Chuck. I don’t want it to be, but it could be.
    Fringe seems like the best bet to me… They’ve got to explain a bunch of cliffhangers (who was that weird guy in the machine, etc), but devoting an episode to peace relations seems odd.

Comment by Frenchie – July 1, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smallville! Oh…Wait….damn….wishful thinking i guess. So sad to say goodbye to a show thats been with you half your life.

Comment by TJCrinc – July 1, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post