Glee's All-Time Best Musical Number Bracket Tournament Begins! Start Voting, Gleeks!

There’s about to be a riot in the halls of William McKinley High School, and for once, Sue Sylvester is not to blame. Nope, we here at must claim full responsibility for launching Glee‘s All-Time Best Musical Number Bracket Tournament, a 64-player, single-elimination duel to the death that will once and for all settle the debate over which song-and-dance interlude ranks at No. 1 in the two-season history of Fox’s smash high-school dramedy.

Vote in Day Two! Glee’s Best Musical Number?
‘Umbrella,’ ‘Valerie,’ ‘Teenage,’ ‘Parade,’ and More Enter the Ring!

Every day around 4:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of bouts that will have you joyously reliving your favorite Glee moments and biting your nails wondering how in the heck you’re gonna decide between ’em. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming week, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Amy says:

So far that was pretty easy. It will be interesting to see what wins.

• JAXCRUZ says:

Why was “Teenage Dream” not a part of this voting list.
      It was the most downloaded ever… It should have definitely been a contender….

• AMANDA says:

My favorite glee number isn’t even in the bracket!! TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART!

• Eve says:

Total Eclipse of the Heart should totally be on there! Love that one! I also enjoyed Sam and Quinn singing I’ve Had the Time of My Life!

• Cody says:

My TWO favorite numbers are not in the bracket. Total Eclipse of the Heart and Rolling in the Deep. How did Hello make it in as the Jesse/Rachel duet over those two? CRAZY!!

• Augusto says:

I think I Take Me Or Leave Me should win the “Deep River” and another, Don’t Stop (Fletwood Mac) should be there too.

2. Eric says:

Lucky is much better than “Baby” but because it was by Klaine it will automatically win

• Kyle says:

Agreed! I so hate Kurt!

• K says:

Lucky was decent. It wasn’t great.

• Alice says:

I agree. I don’t think either of these should beat River Deep, Mountain High, personally, but I don’t know if anyone will agree with me on that.

• Ana says:

I agree with you. River Deep, Mountain High is one of the best duets on the show (come on, it’s ‘Tana and ‘Cedes, had to be awesome like that), IMHO, of course. Second only to the Kurt/Rachel duets (my top two of these are Happy Days Are Here Again/Get Happy and For Good <3)

• Formix says:

I totally agree.

• smccullough says:

Totally agree. Klaine seems to get all the nods when I’m mainly voting for the best song. I’m not as sold on Darren Criss as so many others are. He is good but IMHO he doesn’t blow me away like others feel. Love Kurt though. Lucky was a simple jazz type of song. Sweet subtle and so pure. It really got to me.

• Cathy says:

Totally agree with your comment. DC is way overrated. I didn’t particularly like Lucky but he wasn’t in it so in my eyes it was better…

• Angie says:

Agree 100%! Blaine and Darren Criss are overrated. Sorry to say I’m already sick of him after one season. His fans make plans to spam the polls, message boards, twitters of writers, etc to get attention. Many of them aren’t even Chris/Kurt fans, they are only Klaine fans because they know that Kurt is Blaine’s ONLY connection on the show.

• Ana says:

I have to partially agree with you. While I absolutely adore Darren and his awesome nerdy-ness, I cannot STAND Blaine. Don’t ask me why, maybe because I was expecting a much more well-rounded and awesome character for Darren than Blaine. So, I can’t stand Klaine either. I don’t even like Baby It’s Cold Outside that much, but since I hate Glee’s version of Lucky, I had to vote for Baby. It was a tough decision, though!

• Lily says:

Love “Baby it’s cold outside”, love Kurt, hate Blaine (too much of a big brother) , like Darren Criss…

• s says:

Heck to the Yeah

• Michael says:

Or maybe Justin Beiber’s fans are behind it.

Maybe some of us just like Baby better. I know that it’s a difficult concept to grasp. Just take your time trying to understand that we all don’t share the same taste in music as you. I’d hate to see you pull something.

• Chrissy says:

Baby it’s cold outside isn’t Beiber.

• DogBoy says:

I’d hate to see you pull something (like head out of your behind)– thinking that American classic from 1949 was by Justin Beiber.

• Michael says:

While I’m pulling my head out of my behind, I have a strong feeling that I’ll find yours lodged in much deeper. Not what I was referring to when I blamed the Bieber fans.

• Marissa says:

I think Michael was commenting on the fact that Justin Beiber had all his fans vote for Javier Colon so he would win The Voice, and suggesting that perhaps Beiber fans did the same here since the song has “Baby” in the title. I could be wrong, but that was my immediate thought and I thought it was funny.

Baby is a classic song that has stood the test of time and was performed really well. Lucky is a great song, but as it was performed on Glee it seemed like they were trying to sell us something that I just wasn’t buying.

• Michael says:

You aren’t wrong and thanks for clarifying what really shouldn’t have needed clarification. The two posters just wanted to get in their snippy two cents. Too bad it wasn’t even worth that.

• John says:

Lucky is a great example of Good Glee – a focused character moment that organically culminates in a song (and a very cute scene with some great chemistry).

Baby It’s Cold Outside is a perfect example of Bad Glee – Take a sure-to-be crowd pleaser (one of the best standards from the brilliant Frank Loesser’s catalog), give it to your most popular couple, and force it in via a shoehorned-in scene that bares no relationship to the rest of the plot and is LITERALLY the only time the whole episode we even see them.

• Daniel says:

In fact, Kurt and Blaine have no chemistry while Sam and Quinn nail it! A good example of GOOD GLEE, and the main reason of why it’s so popular is: Don’t Stop Believeing, in the first and last episode of the first season. The scond season totally sucked.

• K says:

I don’t think we’re watching the same show. The chemistry between Kurt and Blaine was off the charts when they performed Baby, It’s Cold Outside. Sam and Quinn were boring, which is why they eventually were broken up. Lucky was an okay performance, but hardly memorable.

• Lily says:

I think what was meant by “Bad Glee” was that “Baby it’s cold outside” (BICO) did not seem to fit in the plot at that time… However, the duet was one step further to make Kurt believe that Blaine likes him… until Kurt finally realized a few episode later that Blaine was totally not interested in him…
          BICO was one of the only moments I felt the romantic chemistry between the two actors… Other than that… they just act like good friends…

• Nina says:

I disagree about baby being “bad glee” I think that it was just an opening to Kurt and Blaines relationship… and as you said it didn’t have really anything to do with the episode other than the fact that it was a christmasy thing. I believe that it was there simply to expand your knowledge on the relationship that was brewing.

• Michael says:

Are we voting on best musical numbers or best musical numbers most integral to the plot. Poker Face was one of my favorite duets of last year, but I’d hardly call it relevant to the plot or even to the situation in which it was sung.(And, for the love of all things NOT incestual, I hope that I’m not wrong.) Baby and Lucky were both sweet and well-sung songs.

3. Sil says:

This ound was really easy for me, and lol all my picks are currently winning

DSB remains one of my all-time favorites, it’s the begining of it all and the song will always the representative of Glee for me xD
    Toxic is crazy hot haha and I love Brittany so, easy pick.
    Baby It’s Cold Outside is heart-melting. I love love love Darren Criss and will probably be voting for each of his songs here, I can’t help it
    The last one was the hardest, cause both are amazing, but I went it RDMH, Naya and Amber and incredible, separate or together. I also prefer Naya’s voice over Lea’s so…

4. flutiefan says:

i hope one of the Britney/Brittany songs wins. even if Heather Morris doesn’t have the best voice (neither does Miss Spears), she freaking ROCKED those performances.

• s says:

Can’t stand Britanny at all so I didn’t vote for Toxic. Tik Tok sucked. My Favs of all songs are Don’t Stop Believing and River Deep Mountain High. Heather Morris’ vocals are good but don’t send me. Love Naya and Amber on this song. Love Lea’s vocals but Naya and Amber were the best. Don’t Stop Believing is my most favorite of all Glee songs.

• Teen Witch says:

Tik Tok deserves to win just for Brittany’s “Drink Responsibly” at the end. I die laughing every time I see that, Heather Morris has great delivery of her lines.

• Marissa says:

Am I the only one that thinks Heather Morris is terrible at delivering her lines? She half-whispers everything and has almost zero emotion. It’s okay if I am the only one, I’ll be annoyed by her all by myself, I’m just curious.

• Marijke says:

I think its how shes supposed to deliver them cuz she is supposed to sound kind of confused and dazed.. personally i love her lines because their just so random.. but thats just me :)

5. Grignac says:

No “Sing”????? No “Raise your Glass?” Not even in the top 64 songs????? It makes it difficult to play when your favorite songs aren’t seeded.

• Amy says:

Raise Your Glass should definately be there!

• Corinne says:

I too am wonder why Raise Your Glass is missing from the list, especially when they put The Safety Dance on there. Also missing from the list is Landslide, WTF.

• Ben says:

Unless I missed it, Bad Romance isn’t on there either. Who decided these?

• suzyq says:

Simmer down, just because a song is not in this round, it doesn’t mean it won’t be in future rounds.

Look at the paragraph above that starts with “EVERY DAY around 4:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a NEW set of bouts…”

• Corinne says:

There’s a link for all the songs that will be voted on, it is a shame Bad Romance isn’t on their, but Poker Face was.

• Volcfom says:

Yes, but if you look at the link for the top 64 picks, none of the aforementioned songs are on Slezak’s list.

• Marijke says:

agreed!! that sucks i loved Bad Romance!! and it wasnt on the full list i dont think either.. :(

• Marcus says:

Raise Your Glass was an awful cover of a great song.

• Biddy says:

I totally agree Raise your glass should be but not totally sold on Sing. Some of the pairings in the table are bizarre! Am i the only one thinking there are a few too many Kristin Chenoweth and Matthew Morrison songs on the 64 table?

• Emily says:

YES! I was thinking the exact same thing. I personally don’t think there should have been any on there at all. I mean, I love Kristin, but I don’t even remember any of the songs she sang on the show.

• F says:

The only song Kristin sings with Will that doesn’t make me want to punch someone is ‘Alone’, which wasn’t featured

6. Amy says:

My all time fav Glee song will always be Don’t Stop Believing. I was lucky enough to see them on tour last Sunday at the O2 arena in London and the first song they sang when they came on was Don’t Stop Believing. :)

7. znachki says:

Since I can’t even remember “Take Me or Leave Me”, I guess you can tell how that went…

• Nina says:

I loved take me or leave me simply because it was a great song. It showed the anger between lea and Ambers characters that with each word shifted and grew into something even better.

8. Anissa says:

So excited to see Dream On in the running later. I know it has no prayer but that is my happy place w/ both of my crushes in an audition battle to the death ;)

9. Tulip says:

Where’s “I Feel Pretty/Unpretty”? Or “When I Get You Alone”? Or “I Wanna Sex You Up”? Those are my three favorites!

• Amy says:

I Feel Pretty/Unpretty is number 5. On the left, on the bottom half :)

• Lauren says:

So’s ‘When I Get You Alone’ No. 11 on the right. I didn’t really like I Wanna Sex You Up so not too bitter that’s not there. But really agree that Bad Romance should be vs Born This Way instead of Poker Face. Can we vote for that?

• Lauren says:

I wish they had twice the amount of entries. A lot of significant songs are missing IMO, and I’m sure none of us would mind a twice as long event. And in order to be a true representation of our favourite song, all of the significant songs should be on there. Also, it makes me sad that Tik Tok has gotten any votes at all. DSB should be thoroughly kicking it’s ass. How is Tik Tok in any way better than DSB? IMO it’s one of the worst songs performed on the show, along with ‘Friday’ and those Bieber songs.

10. L. says:

Voted for Take Me Or Leave Me, it was amazing. I also liked RDMH, but I preferred TMOLM.

11. Meghan says:

Voted for Don’t Stop Believing, Toxic (hands down!), Baby It’s Cold Outside (amazing – I have listened to this on repeat many times), and River Deep Mountain High (which I think is one of the best covers of this song – ever – and a great song to work out to!)

12. R says:

Lucky for the win :D it was adorable

13. Roderic says:

I can tell right now this contest is going to be dominated by Kurt and Blaine so there’s no use in me even getting involved.

• Dani says:

You’re right, Klaine will probably dominate this tournament because Glee fans who are bitter or resentful toward the popularity of them as a couple will only post negative, self-defeating comments instead of voting earnestly for who they think should win.

If you don’t think either Kurt or Blaine deserves to win a match-up, then speak with your vote, not just defeatist comments.

14. Romy says:

As EPIC the pilot version of Don’t Stop Believin was I prefer the Regional version ’cause it was a real ensemble song

15. rg says:

Surprised that “Teenage Dream” and “Raise Your Glass” aren’t in here.

16. Vivi says:

there’s no way “Lucky” can beat or even get close to “Baby, it’s cold outside”. I think that is one of the best performance on the show!

17. Kara says:

Baby, It’s Cold Outside makes me so happy, Christmas season or not. <3

18. S says:

Don’t Stop Believin’ will probably win the whole competition, it’s Glee signature song.
    I loved the different arrangement they did with Toxic so I voted for it over Push it.
    Both Lucky and Baby It’s Cold Outside were lovely but BICO was such a nice surprise and Kurt and Blaine’s voices compliment each other so well that I had to choose it over Lucky.
    River Deep, Mountain High is one of my favorite duets of the season and even though Lea and Amber are powerhouses, Amber and Naya’s voice are perfect together.

19. Taylor says:

Now this is a bracket I can get into!!
    DSB is iconic and will be tough to beat.
    Toxic wins for its unique style and difference from the original.
    Baby was just an awwwww moment for viewers.
    The last one was tough, but I remember laughing the entire time Naya & Amber powered through River Deep, Mountain High. It was enjoyable :)

20. Raya says:

…Rose’s Turn is against Don’t Rain on My Parade in their first bracket.

Whoever made this is a cruel, cruel person.

• Pearl says:

My thoughts exactly! I’m not sure I’ll be able to choose. This round was pretty easy (Don’t stop believing is iconic, I love Brittany so Toxic was an obvious choice, I want to have Lucky at my wedding, it was so cute, and about the last ones I don’t even have an opinion), but I’m terrified about the next rounds…

• Grace says:

Agreed. I wish both Kurt and Rachel had gotten the Adam Lambert treatment in the first round (competing against themselves). I love me some Santana and Mercedes (and Charice and K-Chen…), but It should rightfully come down to Rachel and Kurt in the final solo round!

• Jax says:

Yes! I agree. Actually, I think the winning song should be on that they sang together. All of them were absolutly outstanding but I think any of the ones from Wicked should win.

21. DK says:

Oh, come on, no Back to Black. I’m glad Songbird’s on there, but seriously. Back to Black was the best song of the frickin’ season.

22. Rowling says:

“Lucky” was not different enough from the original for it to warrant even being in this bracket challenge. It’s a real shame to see so many great renditions of numbers missing from this tournament, only to be replaced by carbon copies of the original version. Glee is best at taking numbers and re-inventing them with their own personality, let’s showcase that aspect of the show in this challenge, please.

23. onno says:

This is going to be interesting between dream on and my other fav from season 1 the rachel/mommy duet but this round was easy

24. Teresa says:

Hey Michael,

I realize this is off-topic, but I felt you should have written up a conclusion to the AI Tournament of Moments. We had the final 2-moment bracket, and we could learn the winner by clicking on the poll results… but it felt incomplete.

So please do a concluding blog on the winning performance for Glee.

25. Tiffany says:

I’m about to get all wah-wah whiny, but I’m pretty disappointed Schue and April’s “Alone,” “Raise Your Glass,” and “Landslide” didn’t make the bracket. Okay, done.

26. Jo says:

If we’re talking vocally, Toxic was way better but because it was about five thousand times more awkward because Mr Schue got involved, I’m voting Push It.

• Kate says:

TOTALLY agree with you! I hated that Mr. Schue performed Toxic with them, so I voted for Push It. Plus, Push It still makes me laugh.

27. SpyKi says:

If Don’t Rain On My Parade doesn’t win the whole thing I will kill a unicorn.

28. SpyKi says:

Who put “Unpretty/I Feel Pretty” against “Happy Days/Come on Get Happy”? Neither of those should be out first round!

29. Laure says:

-The pilot version of DSB is brilliant and defines Glee
    -Toxic has amazing harmonies
    -BICO was sweet and more original than lucky
    -Take Me Or Leave Me is just brilliant. You can’t go wrong with Lea and Amber

30. Sheikia says:

Who the hell put Dream On and Lady is a Tramp against each other?!

And Rose’s Turn and Don’t Rain on my Parade?

31. Sheikia says:

And where is Don’t Stand So Close to Me/Young Girl?!

• SpyKi says:

Haha, that was awesome. Biggest omission I can see after one look is Total Eclipse of the Heart, that’s way better than almost every song on there.

32. Kev says:

Baby It’s Cold Outside is just a creepy song in-general no matter who is singing it. It’s one person forcing another person to stay when they are trying to leave. Hello rohypnol anyone?

33. Joann says:

I agree. Not fair!

34. Caroline says:

Pitting “River Deep, Mountain High” against “Take me or Leave Me?” You are a cruel, cruel person.

• Zahra says:

True!!! I cant decided which one.
      Too hard.
      But I think I have to go with “River Deep, Mountain High”

35. I.C. says:

Please remove Listen NOW and put Somewhere Only We Know instead… Now please. Where is Somewhere Only We Know? I’m waiting… I’m waiting…

Also, remove Poker Face NOW and put Bad Romance instead.

Thank you.

36. Nicki says:

For Good should be on here, best thing about the finale.

37. Eric says:

Out of all the songs they have sung….you guys have not picked a good 64…In fact i think i could pick a better 64 songs than you guys did

38. Joann says:

Is it too late to change some of these?? Please remove Bust A Move, Dreams and Home and put in Somewhere Only We Know, Bad Romance and For Good!!!

39. Shannon says:

I think For Good should have definitely been there, it’s one of the few performances to make me cry!

I voted for Don’t Stop Believing, Toxic, Baby It’s Cold Outside (I love Kurt and Blaine!), and River Deep, Mountain High. :)

40. Tom says:

Really easy except the last one! Struggled to choose, they were both really impressive vocally.

41. Larry says:

It’s a shame that some people used this forum to be hateful. And to a lot of the questioners, did you bother to read the article?

42. George says:

Seriously, Michael?!?! The last 64-player “Sing Off” (American Idol) that we all participated in… NEVER FINISHED! No conclusion. No announcement of a winner. And now you want us to invest in another Number Bracket Tournament? Will you follow through on this one?

43. megan says:

almost none of my favorite glee songs are on here ): i disapprove

44. Kali says:

i love baby, it’s cold outside. It was so sweet <3
    i had it on repeat for days, haha.

45. Kate says:

Ok everyone is moaning but i am not because this is the only list with sense as it includes RUN JOEY RUN!!!! I have yet to meet someone who doesnt love that number!!!

• Cathy says:

Allow me to introduce myself…

Apparently you were not around in the 70s when that song was played frequently. Ugh.

46. DC says:

Seriously Michael? No Bad Romance????

47. Grace says:

I love this.

Firework?? With a billion and fifty ridiculous Rachel Berry performances, with My Man and Papa Can You Hear Me and Taking Chances, you’re going with Firework???

48. OhTheStupidity says:

people, get a grip. it says there are going to be 64 songs. this is just round one.

49. Diogo says:

Well I voted for Don’t Stop Believing, although I prefer the Regionals version. Tik Tok is also good ;D
    Toxic of course (I’m looking at HeMo)
    Lucky… I jus’t don’t like Darren Criss’s voice that much, and Sam and Quinn were perfect.
    The last one was very hard, because I love both songs… but I voted for Take Me or Leave Me because Lea and Amber were very power!

• s says:

I was beginning to feel I was alone in my feeling about Darren Criss. I’m relieved to see I’m not alone. He is good but his vocals IMHO aren’t as heart warming as many people talk about. I love Chris Colfer and Lea singing Happy. That was the best as well as Don’t Stop Believing. I know I might be in te minority but Criss sounds so autotuned just not my favorite.

• Biddy says:

Yes maybe a bit auto tuned on CD format, but once you hear him live thats when you hear how good his natural voice can be.

50. Laur says:

I love Defying Gravity and Dancing With Myself…