Glee, Vampire Diaries Lead Teen Choice TV Noms, Linda Hunt Gets In on the Action

Fox’s Glee and The CW’s The Vampire Diaries are TV’s heaviest hitters heading into the 2011 Teen Choice Awards, having amassed nine nominations each. Modern Family and Gossip Girl also made a solid showing with five nods apiece, while Nikita netted four.

In addition to scoring a nod for Choice TV Comedy, Glee also has Cory Monteith up for TV Comedy Actor and Jane Lynch vying for Choice TV Villain. In the TV Scene Stealer races, Glee has four contenders: Amber Riley and the luminous Dianna Agron, and Chris Colfer and Mark Salling.

Additionally, the Glee cast is nommed for Choice Music Group, while Colfer is up for Choice Red Carpet Fashion Icon.

Turning to the bloodsuckers, Vampire Diaries will battle Fringe, Smallville (R.I.P.), Supernatural and Teen Wolf for Choice Fantasy/Sci-Fi Show, while series leads Nina Dobrev, Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley landed in the acting races. Joseph Morgan (aka Klaus) is up for Choice TV Villain, Katerina Graham and Michael Trevino scored bids for Scene Stealers, and both Dobrev and Somerhalder rightfully netted nods in the Choice Hottie categories.

In addition to Choice TV Comedy, Modern Family reaped nominations for Ty Burrell and Scene Stealers Sofia Vergara, Eric Stonestreet and Rico Rodriguez. Gossip Girl will battle Bones, House, Make It Or Break It and American Teenager for Choice TV Drama, Blake Lively, Penn Badgley and Chace Crawford grabbed acting nods, and Ed Wetswick will vie for Choice Villain.

Nikita is up for Choice Action Show (versus Burn NoticeChuckHawaii Five-0 and NCIS: LA), and its three leads landed in the acting races.

And in an amusing twist, NCIS: LA‘s 66-year-old Linda Hunt snagged a nom for Choice TV Action Actress.

The Teen Choice 2011 ceremony will airs August 7, on Fox. The polls are open now; register to vote here.

1. Colleen says:

And don’t forget Linda Hunt! Cause living in a tv world where the phrase “Linda Hunt, Teen Choice Nominee” exists about makes my year.

2. Sam says:

Oh good god, what the bloody hell is going on with the drama noms? Even when I was a teenager I knew that Bones sucked.

3. gabriela says:

OMG OMG OMG So happy to see Tom Welling AND Erica Durance (her for the first time FINALLY) There

4. Chmarin says:

Hahaha. At least when I see these nominations, I know the Emmys aren’t the worst awards show.

I’d nominate these shows (most of them, that is) if I wanted to create a mock version of the Emmys. It’s ridiculouuuuuus. But then again, it’s the teens. Their collective taste level is equal to Charlie Sheen’s liver. It’s NON EXISTENT.

I do, however, belong in the “teen” category. For one more year, that is. I don’t think I’ve met more than two or three of my peers who like watching the same shows as I do (Breaking Bad, Treme, Justified, Mad Men, Louie, etc.)

• Amy says:

Not to interrupt your smug satisfaction, but several of these nominees are also very good. “Fringe”? Linda Hunt? “Modern Family”? All deserve more praise than they get — at least, from pretentious little kids like you.

5. Lauren says:

Seriously, Dianna Agron and Amber Riley are scene-stealers? The only time Amber Riley steals a scene is when she’s singing, and Dianna Agron doesn’t even have that. How are they in acting categories and not Lea Michele? Glee is Lea Michele. She is the best actor/singer on the show. Without her, it would suck worse than it already does. She is the one saving grace. And Bonnie from VD for a scene-stealing acting nom? Jeez. She’s worse than Agron and Riley. At least I don’t watch their scenes and actively think of ways their character could die.

• Lily says:

Dianne Agron sang very well in at least 2 duets : with Chord Overstreet (Lucky) and and Lea Michele (Mash up I feel pretty/unpretty)… But I agree that Amber Riley should not be a scene stealer… I think Glee should not win any awards this year… except for maybe Cory Monteith… for playing a jerk in Glee in a convincing way…

• Lauren says:

Actually the only thing that came to mind as a scene-stealing moment for me was the Pretty/Unpretty duet. I was very impressed she held her own with Lea Michele. I think that was her best performance hands down on the show. But I still think Lea Michele acts and sings circles around her and should be getting the nomination. She’s good enough for a Golden Globe but not a TCA?

6. JJ says:

How is it Lea Michele & Leighton Meester, who are the best/fan & critic favorites, for the respective shows get nominations? Did Leighton not get a nomination since she’s won for the past two years?

7. Sharon says:

Yes!!! Bones finally gets the recognition it deserves!!

8. S says:

Ed Westwick for villain again?!! And Leighton Meester isn’t nominated! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

9. LUke says:

Yeahhhhhh…. @Sharon, I don’t think a Teen Choice nomination is anything to get excited about for Bones. They’re pretty much awards for The CW and ABC Family… If anything, that nomination is signalling its downfall. lol

10. Aly says:

WTF! Leighton is not nominated?!

11. --- says:

Why isn’t Pretty Little Liars nominated it’s way better than Secret Life!

12. karo says:

Oh well Hugh Laurie is nominated too, How old is the man, 52? But he is still hip and trendy, Lol.

13. Lily says:

Can’t see Glee win a lot except for maybe “Choice Music Group”, best comedy actor and Chris Colfer as TV scene stealer…

14. Géraldine says:

No Naya Rivera though she absolutely stole the second part of S2 of Glee neither Lea Michele… I’m confused there! :-(

Anyway, I don’t think that Glee will win a lot of prizes this year and besides, it would be deserved ’cause the last season really sucked!

15. Kate says:

Have i missed something, i love Bonnie and Tyler but im sorry CAROLINE STOLE SEASON 2! How is Candice Accola not even nominated she waqs the best character by far this season!

Then Glee Colfer over Dianna for red carpet fashion icon, sorry but no, we hardly ever see Chris on the red carpet yet Dianna is always on it and always looks the best!

And then how did Leighton Meester not get anything, again the best character is Blair BY FAR on GG!

16. diana says:

OMG so funny and awesome that Linda Hunt is getting nominated. That made my whole day…even teenagers like her! She makes that show!

17. Ava says:

What about Jared Padalecki or Jensen Ackles from Supernatural, definitely worthy in the acting category!!! And Hottie!!!!Come on!

18. Amy says:

Very shocked that Lea didn’t get nominated. Doesn’t make sense to me since she is so talented. Also a bit disapponted that Leighton and Candice didn’t get nominated…

19. danielle scott says:

My vote gose too the vampire diearies they are an amazing show and deserve all the votes they get people keep voting love you guys:)x

20. meme2266 says:

Where is Leighton? Chace barely had any storylines this season. This is quite surprising.

21. Phileo says:

They SNUBBED NAYA RIVERA?!!!? X(

22. Gisselle says:

The vampire diaries will obviosly winn all theirr categories since its the TEEN choice awards all us crazy teenagers will constantly vote for VD.

23. Agnes says:

Dianna Agron is amazing!!
    She is the only reason I watch Glee so yeah I hope she wins!!!
    Also I guess Leighton didnt get nominated because she is nominated for the roommate as best actress or something!!
    But why is CANDICE ACCOLA not there!!
    Caroline is so much better than Bonnie!!!

24. me says:

vampire diaries will beat glee…they have to

vote for vd