Exclusive

Office Boss Race: Down to Jim, Dwight or Andy?

Here’s some grist for the watercooler for ya! Now that we know James Spader is being wooed to join The Office as a replacement for Kathy Bates’ CEO, Jo, and not for Steve Carell’s office manager, Michael, it seems increasingly likely (even inevitable?) that the sitcom’s producers will promote from within to fill the vacant post at the Scranton branch. And, as teased in this week’s Ask Ausiello, the current frontrunners for the job are Jim, Andy and Dwight. Assuming the execs need a little help making the big decision, we’ve compiled a handy list of each contender’s pros and cons. And, just to keep things democratic (the Fourth of July is coming up), we embedded a poll for you to weigh in, too.

JIM
Pros | Next to wife Pam, he is the sanest person in the office. Plus, though he still rocks the tousled hairdo of a slacker, he is ambitious (once ascending to the position of Michael’s co-manager).
Cons | We love Jim, and it isn’t fun to watch someone you love be thwarted, frustrated and undermined at every turn. (And can you imagine any other outcome, were he to try to ringlead this circus?)

ANDY
Pros | Since undergoing therapy for anger-management, he’s been as sweet as pie. As sweet as really sweet pie, in fact. And, maybe you haven’t heard? Dude studied at Cornell. La-di-da.
Cons | His past relationship and current crush on secretary Erin is a sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen. And there are IHOPS that serve less “waffle” than he does.

DWIGHT
Pros | History books are full of dictators that weren’t half as ambitious as he has been from day one.
Cons | Those same dictators weren’t nearly as bats*** crazy as he is. Forget it. He’s too over-the-top to even see the top from where he sits.

Taking all that into consideration, Andy is our pick. How about you? Make your voice (or at least your mouse-click) heard in the poll below!

TAGS: , , , , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Polls, Scoop, Spoilers

1. RJMoons says:

Here’s what I want, they can have James Spader be the boss for the first few episodes, then he quits because he cant be contained by an office. By that time Will Arnett’s new show will be cancelled(no offense Christina Applegate)and he will take over as the new boss.
    Or just go with Andy, what do I care.

• super says:

I really hope Will Arnetts show is as good as it looks so I hope it doesn’t get cancelled, but i wouldn’t mind seeing him on the office week after week.

• murley says:

having just discovered how charming and funny ‘samantha who?” was i am really hoping that the appelgate/arnet sitcom is a hit.

2. Michael says:

Dwight is too single-minded and I think that selecting him would close down a lot of avenues for the writers. Jim is too sensible and likeable, I’d imagine every episode becoming little more than Jim dealing with a problem brought about by one of his subordinates. To me the best candidate is Andy, although I think it would be essentially replacing Michael with a similar candidate and might be a missed opportunity.

Personally I’m still holding out hope for Catherine Tate. Has she definitely been ruled out?

3. Dick Whitman says:

Anyone but Dwight.

4. Sherry says:

I voted other. The show needs a new, fresh face as the boss. Viewers are completely aware of the range of the other characters (Jim, Andy, and Dwight) and (no dis to the writers) but after a show has been on for such a long time it gets harder to find fresh material. A new voice/face would make it easier for the writers and more exciting for the viewers. I thought the idea of bringing in a female boss would be excellent. Not only are you bringing in that exciting unknown factor for the writers and viewers, you’re turning gender roles on their head.

With that being said, I know they plan to delve into each office member a little more now in the coming episodes and seasons. I love that idea! We knew Michael Scott very, very well (maybe more than most in the office, especially relationship wise) and an adding of layers for the others would be amazing and would also keep viewers on. I think that’s doable without promoting. That wouldn’t make sense anyway, with Spader taking Bate’s bit. Spader would fill the position with someone akin to him or at least from the outside.

Either way, can’t wait!

5. Jen H says:

I still want Dwight. I hated how they massacred him in the interview. If I can’t get Darryl, then I’m all for Andy.

6. Em says:

I’m ok with Spader being there a little and moving up, but I think if they end up promoting from within then I’m done. We’ve tried Jim and Dwight being in charge and both were bad for the show as far as I am concerned. In what world would Andy impress anyone as a leader?
    Steve Carrell gave them plenty of time to prepare for his exit and it still seems like they are dancing around trying to figure it out.

• Jerry says:

I’ve got to agree with this. The writer’s have often done a really decent job with juggling stories and the like, but the really seem to have dropped the ball here in a big, big, big way. Dwight and Jim have both had their chance and it was weak sauce at best. The finale should’ve set up Scott’s replacement, not left is such an open-ended cliffhanger. I always wanted to see Spader get the position, but can’t say this move excites me enough to want to really keep watching. Was already on the fence as it was.

7. Josh says:

Anything that would potentially give Andy or Dwight more screentime is something that needs to be avoided. Their characters are positively insufferable, more often than not.

Having James Spader head the place for a few episodes, then Jim for a couple more, and THEN bringing in Catherine Tate (once her theater commitment is done) would be perfect. For me, at least.

8. ASH says:

Pam – SHe was “office manager.”

• Lisa says:

Agreed!! Makes the most sense to me, actually.

• Lolie says:

Double agreed. I think it would be funny if Pam talks her way into the job, like she created the “office manager” job for herself, and then finds herself in way over her head and keeps running to Jim to bail her out.

Also–why isn’t Darryl in consideration? He actually seems to be the likeliest choice.

• Snsetblaze says:

It always seemed to me that the manager needed to have sales experience since he goes to see clients at times. Daryll did not really have that type of experience (or the educational background it seems). Pam would be okay because she is good at managing others even though her sales experience isn’t great.

• Jim McD says:

Really great idea. Wow. That could be a lot of fun.

9. molly says:

Other than his disastrous interview, I don’t get why darryl isn’t in the running any longer? He’s still my first pick, even w/o an updated resume…

10. Amanda says:

I really don’t want anyone to be promoted from within. I’d much prefer Catherine Tate or someone else to take the job. Hate to be THAT KID, but. Hey.

11. Luke says:

Oops, meant to say Darryl is NOT listed here.

12. Grignac says:

Whoever becomes boss will be boss for exactly 1 more season, that’s how long it will take for this to be cancelled.

13. Kat says:

We’ve seen Jim and Dwight play manager, neither with much success. Those stories have been told. It’s time to promote Andy. Wasn’t he essentially the Dwight of the Stamford branch all those years ago? Andy as the boss would be much more interesting, maybe revisiting some anger issues. He’s also the most Michael-like to allow for conference room shenanigans and retaining the Office formula. Jim as manager would only be interesting at this point because James Spader’s character intimidates him.

The series finale should end with Pam as the boss.

14. Amber says:

My vote is for “Other”. Steve Carell left a huge hole in the show with his departure and it needs to be filled by an outsider. Bring in some new blood, someone who is already somewhat of a beloved comic actor. I absolutely agree with other people posting, it would be great if Will Arnett’s show got canceled so they could get him. =) I think The Office would be a fabulous fit for him. I also agree that The Office has had a lot of time to deal with this, and I’m shocked they’re still trying to figure this out. It seems like it should be easier for them to get someone funny and well-known as a replacement.

15. Jon says:

As long as it isn’t Catherine Tate, I’m fine with whomever is chosen.

16. James says:

Please let Catherine Tate be the boss! She is so great!

17. tnsmoke says:

I like Jim best of the 3 but voted for Andy because Jim is funniest when he plays off someone superior to him making dumb decisions. Jim and Dwight’s pranks have been gold and when they made Jim co-manager the writers took that aspect away and made Jim too stiff. I think hiring James Spader in Jo’s old position is brilliant and think it’s only fair that Andy, Dwight or Jim get the regional manager job, tho Darryl or Kelly would be cool, too.

18. Spencer says:

I think it should Meredith or Kelly!!! Haha. I would like Andy, though. And can I just say that he and Erin need to get their act together?!

19. Elf says:

I think back to when Sherman Potter replaced Henry Blake on M*A*S*H. Blake was all nonsense, and a participant in the nonsense himself. Potter was practically Blake’s opposite, but he let the nonsense continue because he realized that for that particular situation, it worked and it worked well. So Jim can keep pulling pranks on Dwight within limits, Creed can keep on doing whatever it is he does and Ryan can wear dresses all he likes but he’ll never get that Section 8. The new boss can be saner and more compentent than Michael Scott and his/her character arc would be in trying to keep from descending to everyone else’s level of insanity.

20. Mike says:

Is it too late to toss in Portia de Rossi? She can just reprise her role as Veronica Palmer. NBC please!!!

21. Mandy says:

I would love to see the new boss be Darrell. The man rose up from the warehouse. How much would that annoy everyone? Plus, it would put some tension in the Andy/Darrell bromance. There would be lots of struggle with him trying to stay the cool guy while still being the boss.
    That, or Jim. Jim would be a great boss and maybe with his whole speech to Michael about being the best boss he ever had, he could find someone to mentor in the same way.
    PS I hated the character James Spader played in the interview episode. Sooo skeezy. I really don’t want to see him on the show. Anyone but him!

• timshel says:

Agree with you about James Spader. Did not enjoy at all. Used to like the guy but not on board with him being on The Office.

22. Sean says:

I’m still holding out hope for Daryll.

23. C says:

What about Darryl? Wasn’t he one of the front-runners?

24. Peter says:

Choosing between the three, gonna have to go with Andy. An ‘only sane man’ as a boss doesn’t really work for me so Jim’s out. Just within the logic of the show I can’t see Dwight being manager working after what he pulled last time. That really just leaves Andy.

25. Jason S says:

I think Toby should be the boss. HE is my favortie character and I wish he had a bigger role in the show. His wishy-washy sad sack ways could be hilarious if he is walked over all the time. Or they could create a power crazy arc for him. Or put him and Kelly in relationship.

26. Jason says:

Wait it took two people to write those four paragraphs?

27. Jon B says:

At first I was really pulling for someone outside from the show, but after watching the last few episodes I started rooting for Andy to take over. Ed Helms is starting to become a better known actor with his movies (The Hangover and Cedar Rapids) just as Steve Carell did before The Office began with The 40-Year Old Virgin. But if they don’t go with him I just pray it isn’t Catherine Tate.

28. Joyce says:

I thought it would be perfect if James Spader was boss for several episodes, and, once Catherine Tate’s theatre gig was up, for her to become the new boss. As much I love Andy, Jim, Darryl and Dwight, I think we need someone new to be manager.

29. jules says:

PAM! And if not, then Darryl. And if neither of those, then Andy.

But definitely NO to Dwight or Jim.

30. t.t says:

if not katherine tate then Darryl or Kelly

31. topoopon says:

Of the 3, Andy… but I prefer Gabe, Darryl, or Ryan.

• Truthiness says:

I’ve never preferred Gabe for anything, except maybe the unemployment line (I have nothing wrong with the actor, just the character).

32. Justin says:

I would prefer either Catherine Tate, or Darryl.

33. Truthiness says:

Andy would say “Ri di dit do” not “la di da.”

34. andre says:

Pam, for sure. After all, she learned everything DIRECTLY from Michael. :D

35. John Harnes says:

It has to be Pam!

Come on folks — Pam is the natural choice to run the office. She is just as nutty as anyone in the office but — well — she maneuvered herself into becoming Office Manager when there was no position of office manager. She actually was Michael’s right hand in the office. I find it strange she did not even apply for an interview.
    Pam’s appointment sets up conflicts immediately between herself and Dwight and of course her very own husband Jim. This is a comedy and I honestly believe it developers need Pam (Some one with her special style) to move The Office into a new crazy place to be for its fans!

36. Emgee says:

I’ll say it again. I don’t care really, because I’ve given up on the show. It ceased being funny at the end of the fifth season, though there were sporadic good moments through 6 and 7, but for me, the show officially ended with Micheal’s last episode.

37. cct says:

I hear Charlie Sheen is looking for a job.

• Fish says:

No, no, NO! Charlie Sheen is good, but not “The Office” material. If they got him, it might be 99% sex jokes and 1% no jokes. :( It’s either Andy or an outsider. But it should be a REALLY GOOD OUTSIDER. Case in point: it’s highly unlikely, but my vote’s on Jim Carrey.

38. Justin says:

The way they set it up on the season finale was as if Jim was already the “boss” by the way that the handled the situations during the finale. I thought it was kind of a “given” who the boss was going to be. Jim makes the best sense. I’ll be surprised if it is anything different.

39. ed says:

With Spader’s name being tossed around as a replacement for Bates, how about another “Boston Legal” alum; William Shatner?
    He has certainly displayed his range of acting ability over the years. Bringing him in as a new character would definately give the writers a wide open vault of possible twists and turns not to mention possible puns and bon mots bouncing off the various well know rolls that he has made famous.

40. Sarabi says:

PORTIA DE ROSSI!

41. Matt says:

Please not Andy. I’ve found him increasingly grating over the last few seasons. They kind of ruled Dwight out already. Darryl isn’t even remotely close to being lead material. Just give it to Jim; he’s the most qualified for the job, and the writers haven’t really given him much to do recently.

42. Winnie says:

Please, not Andy! I’m already really weary of the Andy/Erin romance. It’s not funny or poignant like Jim and Pam’s romance was, and both the Andy and Erin characters have become too silly and superficial. They have become annoying, but not in a funny way. Jim and Pam worked because you wanted to root for them to get together — with Andy and Erin I find myself rooting for the episode to quickly move onto to something else. Michael Scott managed to be annoying and funny at the same time, and I don’t think that’s an easy thing to accomplish. The character of Andy is only funny is very small doses — same with Erin.

43. edawg says:

Loving Pam or Daryl, but as a guy who owns every season of the Office, if Catherine Tate joins, I’m done. She is AWFUL! Seriously, I don’t know what the hub-bub about her is? She wasn’t funny on her British shows and she was beyond awful on the finale. (Jim Carrey had 30 seconds of screen time and was more interesting.)

44. Kristi says:

Andy. Oh, please let it be Andy. Or Catherine Tate (I want them to wait for her commitments to “Much Ado” to end!) I like Jim too much and agree with you on that. If Dwight were the boss it’d be just FAR TOO MUCH DWIGHT for my taste. I like him in small doses but – the thing about Michael was, he was a lovable and unintentional asshole where as Dwight is just an asshole.

Andy would fill the Michael Scott-shaped hole nicely. He’s not as mean-spirited as Michael can be, but he’s just as clueless as to ripples he may cause. If we can’t have someone like Catherine Tate, I’d much prefer Andy.

45. cameron capeci says:

Any body forgotten about the fingerlakes guy? Well must i say jim carrey is alot like steve carrell or better known as michael scott. There both funny and the finger lakes guy is perfect for the job. The search comitee said that he was really good. Yet again jim carrey is a weird yet funny guy just like michael scott. I dont want thr confidence guy that knows nothing about paper on there or catherine tate who will fire the person with the loweet sales u never know u could probably end up seeing a show without dwight or jim. Thoses two make the show funny. Why not add another antiserious guy like the fingerlakes guy/jim carrey. If jim carrey doesnt get it id like to see andy bernard as the new manager of dunder mufflin.