Pilot News: Jennifer Finnigan Is USA's Wild Card

Get More: Casting News, News, Pilots

Jennifer Finnigan is leaving her monotonous Better With You betrothed life in the past, in favor of some crazy Vegas antics as the star of Wild Card, a pilot for USA Network.

Jason Patric Lands Lead in FX’s Powers Pilot

Per our sister site Deadline, Finnigan has landed the female lead in the procedural, which follows two Sin City lawyers as they solve the legal problems of its misbehaving inhabitants and visitors the morning after. The Deep End‘s Ben Lawson, who is currently recurring on Covert Affairs, co-stars as her legal counterpart.

Undercovers Star Gugu Mbatha-Raw Set As Female Lead In Fox’s Pilot Touch

Previously known for her work on Close to Home and before that The Bold and the Beautiful, Finnigan is the second member of the Better With You family to score a new gig following ABC’s cancellation of the freshman comedy: Her former onscreen fiancé, Josh Cooke, will recur on the upcoming sixth season of Showtime’s Dexter.

Comments (23)

• Is this being developed for the fall? Or mid-season?

Comment by Mikaylah – June 29, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she can overcome her showkiller track record.

Comment by SMidnite – June 29, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Close to Home lasted too long to count as a killed show.

Comment by Brooke – June 29, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They weren’t married on Better With You, just together. I’ll miss that show something awful! She sure does like playing lawyers, though.

Comment by Nancy – June 29, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1-Yeah they were not married nor engaged as the word “betrothed” implies.

2-What does one have to do to get Jake Lacy back on the screen. He was the best part of Better with You!

Comment by Eli – June 30, 2011 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unfortunately it’s another show about lawyers. Time for Hollywood to come up with another profession.

Comment by Jon – June 29, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why doesn’t someone write a show about plumbers or construction workers? And considering it’s been the subject of movies more than once, why has noone written a show about the restaurant profession. I worked at a bar for three weeks and got enough material for at least a season. Aw shoot, i shouldn’t have said that. This will now be a pilot on Fox next spring….

Comment by jj – June 30, 2011 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch it for Ben Lawson.

Comment by Sue – June 29, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW! The same exact plot as The Defenders!
    It’ll surely work! :P

Comment by theDus – June 29, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same exact thing!!

Comment by jason stackhouse – June 29, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You have thoughts, Jason Stackhouse? Never knew!

JK

Comment by Danielle H. – June 29, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jennifer Finnigan! So I really hope that it wil be a hit!

Comment by Niki – June 29, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was just about to say this is a Defenders ripoff, and I didn’t even watch that show.

As for killed show, I think 2 seasons can count. To me, I’d actually rather be axed in season 1. At least then you straight up failed. But I have watched many of my favs die in season 2 which says “We were good enough to come back but perhaps not good enough to go further”. Sucks.

See: Jericho, Shark, Pushing Daisies, Dirty Sexy Money, Eli Stone, Stargate Universe, Life, Boomtown (only season 1 was any good), and Human Target (Really gonna miss this one)

Comment by Ryan – June 29, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ben Lawson has been on alot of shows in the past couple years i.e. The Deep End, Love Bites, Covert Affairs, and more. I’ve been wondering when he’d find a starring vehicle. USA has the touch of gold on its shows, so good luck to him and her. It is a Defenders rip-off though, and we all know how well THAT went…

Comment by Danielle H. – June 29, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She always plays a lawyer it seems. I like her though. I really loved Better with You…I’m going to miss it. :(

Comment by Robin – June 29, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. If only Megan Masters’ columns were half as fun as “Better With You” was.

Comment by filmex – June 30, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s a better drama actress than comedy actress, I always felt she was trying too hard in BWY. I love Josh Cooke though, I’m sure he’ll be awesome on Dexter.

Comment by Lauren – June 29, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the exact same thing about her on BWY! I liked the show overall but sometimes I cringed when she was on screen. She was grat on Close to Home though so hopefully this show will be the right kind of balance for her.

Comment by Eva – June 30, 2011 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry “great” not “grat”

Comment by Eva – June 30, 2011 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought this seemed familiar, name and environment:
    “Zoe, a Las Vegas blackjack dealer, becomes an insurance investigator, so she can raise her nieces and nephew, after their mother (Zoe’s sister) died in a car accident.” – IMDB
    On Lifetime, for a couple years with Joely Fisher, 2003-5

Comment by Ro – June 30, 2011 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Should have said Wild Card was name of previous show.

Comment by Ro – June 30, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Same plot as the defenders, which I find annoying because I really liked that show and it got cancelled, and now they are making another one with the exact same plot??? and surely the characters won’t be as funny.. but I am happy for her, I do like her.

Comment by ade – June 30, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hasn’t anyone heard that fantasic background music…who are they, where can I download…fantastic–sound!

Comment by Veshay – September 6, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post