TVLine Items: HIMYM Recast News, Sheen's Grim Two and a Half Men Fate, and More

When How I Met Your Mother launches its seventh season this fall, someone in Marshall’s life will look very different. Almost like an entirely different person. Because, well, he will be!

In the Season 6 finale, Marshall’s potential new boss was played by funnyman Dave Foley. Alas, the NewsRadio alum’s CBS pilot, How to Be a Gentleman, scored a pick-up and Thursdays-at-8:30 time slot, making him unavailable to return to the Monday sitcom.

So, who’s the boss… now? Enter funnyman Martin Short. According to New York Magazine‘s Vulture blog, Short has been cast in a recurring role as the new head of Marshall’s new company — which essentially means Lily’s man got his dream job.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Two and a Half Men fans may want to avert their eyes, or clap. (We don’t judge.) TMZ is reporting that producers are pondering killing off Charlie Sheen‘s character when the series premieres its ninth season — possibly by having the fictional womanizer drive his car off a cliff. In other Sheen news, TBS was lightning quick to refute RadarOnline’s claims that the cabler is in a bidding war to land a comedy series starring the embattled actor.

• In addition to the previously announced Miranda Lambert/Dia Frampton performance on Wednesday’s Voice finale, NBC has revealed that Fleetwood Mac legend Stevie Nicks will pair-up with Javier Colon; Train’s Pat Monahan will sing alongside Vicci Martinez; and OneRepublic’s Ryan Tedder will duet with Beverly McClellan.

Bruce Davison (X Men) is set to guest star on the season finale of Lifetime’s Drop Dead Diva, playing a “long-sitting and well-respected judge,” TVGuide.com reports. Season 3 resumes July 10.

Don Cheadle‘s Crescendo production company has signed a one-year first-look deal with Showtime, says Deadline. The actor stars opposite Kristen Bell in the cable giant’s upcoming dark comedy House of Lies.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Emily says:

Really excited to see the duets on The Voice.

• OMG!!! says:

I am freaking out cant wait to see Stevie and Javier what a great duet pairing! this is why i love this show way better than Idol has been in years its not a popularity contest like idol is its really about who truely has a good VOICE!!!

2. DJ Doena says:

I can understand wanting to get rid of Charlie (at least from a producer’s POV) but why not have him a Happily Ever After with Rose in Phuket or Europe or wherever…

• april-ann says:

Because Lorre has no class and doesn’t care about the fans. It would be nice if he took the high road, like maybe Herb told Charlie that Myra was single, so Charlie left to be with Myra. Regardless of Sheen’s personal life, there are many fans out there who really liked Charlie Harper. IMO the show ended the moment Chelsea appeared anyway and Lorre proved then that he didn’t care about the fans of this show.

• allie d says:

I agree — have him run away with Herb’s sister or with Rose (who can leave him stranded on an island somewhere so she can return to the show) or Teddy’s “daughter.” They can ponder about killing Charlie off all they want. Get it out of their system. Chuck Lorre can write an alternative ending on one of his vanity cards. But to kill off the central character in a comedy is just gruesome. I get enough sadness from the dramas I watch.

• aaronite_1 says:

I think it should be fairly easy to “weave in” Ashton into the family – just have him be Judith’s brother or Berta’s son! According to IMDB, his name will be Raymond.

And yeah, I think the show will really “jump the shark”, if they disrespect Charlie by having him drive off a cliff. In fact I can imagine people saying that other shows “really drove off the cliff” in future! I mean, they already have the guy heading off to Paris with the stalker of his dreams, why overwrite his exit?? Would miss Rose dearly though.

Oh yes, if they want more viewers then MORE RYAN STILES – he’s hilarious!

• Tucker says:

Yeah, if true, I get that Lorre wants to give one last finger to Sheen and make it so there’s no conceivable way he could ever return to the show. Killing off the character seems a bit gruesome for a comedy. It’s one thing when a star actually dies and you incorporate it into your storyline. It’s something else entirely to use it as a means to write someone out when there’s no context for that sort of thing within the show. Seems like it will have a detrimental impact to the show rather than letting it move on. Just say he disappeared and then reveal a few episodes into the season that he ran of with Rose somewhere, likely never to return. Then, just let it go.

• Ryan says:

They live in his house. If he dies, it makes sense he’d leave it to Alan and they wouldn’t have to move.

• Shindig says:

Indeed; I’ll be honest, the character was really one of the things that kept the jokes in the show. However, I’d be even more sad if Rose left. She’s definitely the most funny

• Luca says:

as long as the character is alive, the actor could be brought back and some fans will be yelling for that to happen.

by killing the character they are saying ‘he’s done, get the F over it’. Which is what they want because in their eyes, Sheen is a waste of their time. They asked him to get cleaned up, he didn’t do it sincerely. They demanded he get cleaned up, he flipped them the bird. No show wants to work with someone who is clearly mentally unstable and a risk to not show up, overdose, run his car into someone and end up in jail for killing the person.

3. flutiefan says:

because that would mean Rose is off the show, too. i rarely watch that garbage, but she’s the only character i like!

4. billk says:

I have said it before, I will watch the premiere to see how they explain it all. Then all bets are off. I look at it like a pilot. If Ashton and the cast hit a home run I might stick around, if not more time for other stuff.

5. Sam says:

Oh good… Pat Monahan. Why is someone so intolerably bland singing with the most passionate contestant?

6. Jane says:

I haven’t seen the words Martin, Short, and funny, in the same sentence for nearly 20 years.

• Cathy says:

Steve Martin is still funny sometimes but I don’t know how tall he is :)

• Q says:

funny is only in the same sentence as Martin and Short because he insists on being called, “funnyman” Martin Short, to remind you, in case you’ve forgotten.

And believe you me I have tried…dear lord I have tried :(

I Swear he went to the Mickey Rooney school of comedy, acting and mugging for a laugh

• jase says:

Goodbye Al Qada’s Rose

7. Kiran says:

lol!!! i actually think its funny…..drive off a cliff!! seems like perfect match for the character, given that two of charlie’s cars in eal life suffered a similar fate ofcourse without him in the car…….

• Suncatcher says:

That’s exactly what I was going to say! I vote for the cliff!

Otherwise, they might consider a good old fashion kidnapping of some sort? (Usually by the rebels of “Batavia”)… : )

Buh bye, Charlie.

8. Liz says:

Martin Short! That’s awesome! He’s hilarious, I can’t wait to see what they have him do.

9. Louise says:

That’s awesome news about HIMYM, I freaking love Martin Short and he is bound to create hilarious scenes with Jason. Marvelous news.

10. Joe says:

maybe in the hiatus Charlie has ruined everything in his life that should be important to him and he kills himself.

11. Lauren says:

Awwww man I love Dave Foley! I was looking forward to watching him on HIMYM next season. Martin Short has never really appealed to me. And unfortunately, as a Parks & Rec devotee, I doubt I will get to see Mr. Foley’s new show.

12. Sophie says:

When I saw that pic of Jason Segel I thought he decided to commit to his movie career and they were recasting MARSHALL. Way to scare a girl, TvLine.

13. juju says:

I’m fine with Martin Short as Marshall’s new boss. I love Dave Foley, too, but Martin Short can be funny if he reins himself in a little.

Now that Bruce Davison’s name has been mentioned, I realized he would make a dynamite new boss for House with Cuddy out of the picture. Davison could be very good as a sort of unctuous, annoying guy in charge who kills House with smiles while manipulating and besting him at every turn. (Like the character he played on “Seinfeld” who managed Susan’s trust.) As opposed to all the no-nonsense, humorless types they’ve cast for House to butt heads with in the past. I’d like someone more complex and more difficult for House to get around.

Oh, and I don’t care what they do with Charlie Sheen’s character. But it seems like it would be pretty easy to say that Charlie met somebody in Vegas and got married in a drunken haze (where he also gambled away the house in a poker game), but he woke up to find out he’s married to somebody really rich and crazy and now he’s being dragged along with her as she travels the world playing tennis or protesting against land mines or partying with Fergie and Princess Stephanie of Monaco, but they have a running gag where he sends back postcards from all the crazy places he and his new wife are visiting. Oh, and the guy he lost the house to in the poker game shows up to take his house and we have the plot from “The More the Merrier” and “The Goodbye Girl” where mismatched people have to share a house. There it’s a romance, but here it would be a new guy who agrees not to kick out Jon Cryer and the kid.

I just think sending his car over a cliff is kind of stupid and obvious and would prove Charlie Sheen’s point that Chuck Lorre is a hack. They enabled him for so long that finally booting him and killing his character seems pretty cheap.

• luca says:

You mean like all the folks that enabled Sheen by playing to his ego when he’s actually not that talented (or good looking since he totally let himself go) and they ignored his insane behavior, drug issues etc