The Voice: Who Deserves to Win? What Was the Best Finale Performance? Take Our Polls!

If you’re a fan of the unpredictable, then you probably loved Cee Lo Green’s outfit — think Britney Spears’ “Oops!…I Did It Again” bodysuit by way of Transformers in the Thunderdome — during his duet tonight with Vicci Martinez on “Love Is a Battlefield.” You’ll probably also love The Voice‘s Wednesday-night season finale, during which any one of the four remaining finalists has a legitimate chance to take home the Season 1 crown.

Going into this week’s finals, I’d have bet my entire collection of Haley Reinhart iTunes downloads that the winner of NBC’s fledgling talent competition would either by Dia Frampton or Javier Colon. But tonight, Beverly McClellan was so stellar belting “Beautiful” with Christina Aguilera, and Vicci Martinez was so gut-bustingly committed on her two performances, that the ladies turned a two-way photo finish into an epic, four-horse stretch battle. (Here’s hoping everyone boxed their superfectas!)

I’m not going to weigh in with grades or extensive opinions on tonight’s performances — Update: Check my full recap which is now posted here at TVLine.com — but until then, you can vote in our handy dandy polls about which was your favorite performance and who deserves the win, then hit the comments to discuss everything from Allison Haislip’s general on-air horribleness to Blake Shelton’s general on-air awesomeness.

Tonight’s Set List
Javier Colon: “Stitch By Stitch”
Dia Frampton and Blake Shelton: Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down”
Vicci Martinez: “Afraid to Sleep”
Beverly McClellan and Christina Aguilera: Xtina’s “Beautiful”
Dia Frampton: “Inventing Shadows”
Javier Colon and Adam Levine: Michael Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror”
Beverly McClellan: “Love Sick”
Vicci Martinez and Cee Lo Green: Pat Benatar’s “Love Is a Battlefield”

1. Ablo says:

I don’t know. Those original songs weren’t very good. Dia’s sounded the most like a real song, but it wasn’t thrilling. Beverly’s sounded like a fake rock song from an 80’s movie. Javier was way off key. Vicky’s was one of he most boring songs I think I’ve ever heard — I kept nodding off.

C.D. kept saying only vote for the original songs — as if a person has to vote by what they say (I understand the iTunes part of the equation, but . . .). It’s a good thing that people have memories and favorites, because if those four songs were what it all came down to, I don’t know that many people would vote.

Also — they really need to work on the broadcast mix.

• Kate says:

I agree the original songs were kind of rough, but I think Dia’s sounded the most likely to end up on the radio. Bev’s reminded me of like a Bonnie Raitt song, which isn’t a bad thing but won’t send her to the top of a current Top 40 chart. I got bored during Javier and Vicci’s, but have enjoyed their performances in the past so I definitely agree that viewers can remember past performances rather than solely relying on these.

• bluedevil says:

I think, in general, the original songs for singing competitions suck because they’re songs arranged/assebmled+pushed to them in a week.

When they cover songs from other artists, on the other hand, these songs are all polished for weeks by the original artists, then by the competitors for however long in their heads/hearts (who likely have been fans of the original for a long time) and finally by the producers/coaches/mentors/… before the competition.

But, I still liked Dia’s and Viccy’s originals today. Beverly’s was fine but nothing special. Javier’s was utterly boring, but still 1000x better than Scotty’s

• jason says:

how the ____ is it that Dia’s original song is winning by such a landslide on favourite performance?!?!! All the duets were INFINITELY better than the original songs which lets be honest were all kind of a let down. I am completely confused by the voters of this site

• jesse says:

I agree, i was bored through all 4 of them. None of them will be a hit

• L says:

I could see Dia’s and Vicci’s making it. Beverly’s seemed a bit boring for too long before fully coming alive. Javiers is ok and that sort of stuff does sell so who knows.

Whatever you think of them, recall AI original songs. yikes! Heck even Love You This Big. Wow just wow. They really stuck that poor kid with a lemon. Of course most of the AI songs have not been world’s better.

• KK says:

Not saying that I love you this big was great song, but it’s still not a fair comparison. I love you this big was not written by Scotty. It was a song chosen by AI from millions of other songs,a song that professional music producers felt might be a hit .
          I wonder when the contestants found out that they were going to an original songs?

• Taylor says:

If I’m not mistaken, I don’t think the contestants actually wrote the songs.
            During Dia’s segment, she said something about working with a songwriter for Adele & Keane.

• L says:

infinitely better than the AI original songs though whatever you think of these and I really didn’t think they were that bad, Dia and Vicci I think could do pretty well with them, and Javier seems to have a following and that sort of song does tend to do ok, Beverly’s song seemed a bit slow for a long time though.

• L says:

I mean seriously any of those songs or I Love You THis Big??? They sure stuck that poor guy with a not sure what you call it.

• Rock Golf says:

Michael:

The clear and obvious inspiration of Cee Lo’s outfit on “Love is a Battlefield” were the wrestling tag team of Hawk & Animal – The Legion of Doom.

Compare: http://theultimatemoviereviewer.blogspot.com/2010/12/oh-what-rush.html

• L says:

Wow surprised Vicci came in last on the poll here! Anyway I’m gonna place her first, and then Dia. And then Beverly and Javier. Although it’s all kind of close. Unlike AI where Haley had a relatively easy win. Oh right.

Vicci kinda caught my attention early and held it enough to the end, although Dia certainly grew on me a lot. Beverly and Javier have certainly had some solid performances too.

Anyway whoever wins at least you can’t go crazy here unlike this season of AI.

Going in I kinda thought Javier had a 100% lock. Beyond him Vicci always seemed like she had a shot. Dia has done well on itunes apparently and may have a big following though, then again she barely won out last week. The onyl thing I can say now is that I am no longer 100% certain that Javier will win, although he still could very well and is probably still the front runner, although perhaps a weak one now that we hit the finals.

Imagine how refreshing had Haley been on this show and been supported and praised with people who can actually sing live (well Steven sorta praised her and he was the only judge of three who can sing live) and see how they could’ve built her up instead of the miserable Idol machine trying to beat her down.

• charlie says:

I agree that none of the original songs were that great, and I thought Dia’s was the best of the bunch. [All of them were inferior to some of the Idol originals, e.g. Kelly's "A Moment Like This" and Kat Mcphee's "My Destiny".] I felt sorry for Javier in that his song seemed trite and silly to me and didn’t really showcase his vocals very well. I also thought Dia’s performance was the best, but that may be because I like the uniqueness of her voice and song styling. The other three voices really don’t have any distinct quality to them IMO. I also thought that some aspects of the arrangement of Dia’s song could have been improved and showcased her voice better.

The duets were much more interesting than the original song solos, I thought. I liked the Dia and Blake duet best and the Javier and Adam
      duet next.

Hope Dia wins. She seems to me to have the possibility of a great career similar to that of Norah Jones.

• Colleen says:

So it wasn’t just me noticing the broadcast mix needed work. Dia’s original song was well, kinda cheesy, but she’s a diamond in the rough and I’m betting on her. Gooooo Dia! Good ear Mr Blake!!

• Michael says:

I wasn’t exactly a fan of any of the songs, calling Javier “off-key” only means that you know very little about music and melody.

2. B.Rich says:

Should and will win: Dia
    Best tonight: Beverly

3. larkwoodgirl says:

I think Dia and Javier were the best. I don’t know about anyone else, but I really got tired of bombastic vocal acrobatics. I prefer mostly music that is tastefuf, undersated, and lyrically complex.

• mick says:

kind of offended that you don’t think of Vicci and Bev as tasteful

• L says:

hmmmmmmmmm since when is Javier understated??? He reeled it in somewhat tonight, but wow, he was all over the place with over the top rolls and stuff many weeks, anything but understated

• matt says:

God I hope the fans of this website are not representative of who is actually voting! There is nothing original about Dia at all!! Just another emo clone voice, blah!

4. bluedevil says:

I loved afraid to sleep but maybe because it was not really an original song! It was sang and performed by Dido. Now, should that disqualify Vicky’s entry?

• jess says:

don’t see why since none of the contestants wrote their songs.

• bluedevil says:

But it was supposed to be original songs written for them. Wouldn’t you have a furore if, for example, someone sang Miss Lady Gaga’s You and I as their original song? You just can’t take someone else’s unreleased song and say that it’s an original. If I remember correctly, I think even in the video intro, Viccy stated that she “picked” the song and then CLo was reading the lyrics or something…

• amy says:

Vicci didn’t pick the song, the show did, she won’t be disqualified. Seeing as all four are musicians with albums and EPs of their work, I don’t get why they weren’t able to write their own stuff.

• jenna says:

completely agree! The top 4 were all seasoned performers aka they must have written their own work by now. It would be really interesting to hear them each do a song so personal to them

• bluedevil says:

I confess, I downloaded Dia’s song. At least she has co-written her song. Either lyrics or melody. Not sure about the others, though

• 69MICKEY says:

I thought it was AFRAID TO SING?

5. Vicki says:

Boy Blake sure got Christina’s goat a couple of times. Then at the end, he was pointing to Dia saying “Vote!” Christina looked ready to scream. Even Carson was commenting how he would like to give Christina a hug but he likes to stay healthy. Looking at the poll results..perhaps Christina knew something.

• me says:

Christina knew that Dia blew away the competion on itunes in previous weeks, that’s why Blake could gloat.

6. Ablo says:

Oh and excuse the double post, but I meant to comment on Michael’s comments about how stellar Bev and Vicci were — no, no they weren’t. Beverly can really sing, but as indicated above the original song was bad — and her duet with her coach showed promise, but they couldn’t leave the song alone. 95% of the phrases were way, way, overdone. Every once in awhile Beverly would just sing a pure line and it was good. Vicci was her usual self — just on the edge of being good, but just not there.

• Kate says:

Yeah, I want to like Vicci a lot because she is spunky but she tends to come up just short. Her voice definitely cracked trying to hit some of those notes tonight.

• Daniel says:

Really? You actually think you can criticize Vicci as not being good enough? She’s rocked every performance. Dia is nothing more than a coffee shop singer, Bev could rock out a few bars, but Javier and Vicci will sell out stadiums. Vicci’s performances are memorable because they were GREAT while Dia has just been so-so. And when she sings low it sounds goofy and out of place. As for Christina and Bev “couldn’t leave the song alone”… well Ablo, you sir/ma’am, are an idiot. It’s Christina’s song, she can sing it and arrange it ANY way she wants too.

• Ablo says:

Christina can do that if she wants. Idiot that I am I realize that. Doesn’t mean she should however. And if her goal is not self-aggrandizement but helping her team member — she should have realized that she was hurting, not helping, Bev.

7. Danielle Notaro says:

Why is everyone so in love with Dia? She’s got a good voice but there are currently several female voice out there like hers.

• Maria Jim says:

I agree with you. I don’t know why the people voting in this site are all Dia fans. I don’t think she’s that great.

• GavinStrick says:

youtube Meg & Dia’s “Roses” or “Monster” to get the Dia appeal, with her band of nearly a decade, Dia writes infectious modern pop songs. Although out of her demo, I’ve become a fan, and all my votes went to her last night (although I believe that Javier has merit, and I actually think that his original single has a real shot at being a radio hit.)

8. Name That Tune says:

All four of the finalists gave great performances.
    Who will win? Dia
    Who should win? Beverly – based solely on that duet with Christina. Gorgeous performance. Still have tears in my eyes.

• el says:

Agree with all of this. Dia will win based on the strength of Heartless alone. Beverly should win because of her passion and performance.

• jenna says:

Bev’s performance with Christina was incredible. By far my favourite of the night. I’m not a huge fan of the song but it was so beautiful (ironic) and not something i was expecting

• C says:

Beverly and Christina was my least favourite duet of the night.

• GavinStrick says:

“Beautiful” was a good song choice for the two of them, but ugh, it seemed to go on forever. I don’t get the Beverly love, yeah, she has a good voice, but her sound is really dated, and her act is hammy. I think that she has a future performing at an Indian Casino or some minor Vegas Hotel off the strip.

9. Taylor says:

I liked Dia’s original song. I even found myself singing the chorus afterwards.
    I didn’t think I’d like Vicci’s, but I did.
    Bev’s was entertaining, and definitely stood out.
    Javier’s was just off. I couldn’t get into at all.

Really hoping Dia wins it! There’s a Facebook war going on with my news feed, but Dia’s winning :D

10. Drew Melbourne says:

Gotta agree that the sound mix was off on several performances. I’m not even sure if Adam’s mike was on during Under Pressure at the beginning! And several performers had to struggle against the music.

I’m on team Dia, but I do think it’s a little silly that they’re presenting her as an innocent waif. She’s done 2 or 3 albums before with her sister. Have been listing to “My Ugly Mouth” on YouTube which is way catchier than any of the new songs presented here.

11. echo says:

It will be such a f*%king disappointment if Dia wins – the only fake contestant on The Voice. She and Blake still selling the stage fright, inexperience lie to the bitter end while leaning on the meg & dia voting base at the same time – it’s sickening. I’d be happy if any of the others won.

• Thrice says:

Bitter people will be bitter. Dia is the most talented person, let’s be honest. And that’s not acting, she’s just quite shy when not performing. The whole argument against Meg & Dia is stupid. They never had a HUGE following, and Javier also had a record deal at one point AND had songs that charted on the Billboard Hot 100. Hypocritical of people to bash Dia for her music past, but never mention Javier.

• jamie says:

well considering Meg & Dia won the official Myspace band vote (in 2006) to perform on warped tour and performing on warped tour a total of 3 times I would beg to differ that they have quite a substantial following

• MS says:

It might not have aired on TV. But on online interviews and such she’s mentioned it several times actually. Don’t know why the producers didn’t broadcast that part but that surely should not be her fault, should it?

Plus as Thrice above mentioned, Javier had a very successful career and even charted on Billboards, which none of the other competitors could say. Everyone of the finalists is a performing artist. They are not unknowns and the show is not about discovering unknown talents. So I find it quite hypocritical when someone complains about Dia and gives a pass on everybody else’e careers.

• tigreauneon says:

well i beg the differ because i went to see meg & dia at the warped tour in san diego and they had a very small audience. not even half of the people knew their songs (i sang every one of them, but thats just because i love her voice). anywwaysss she was quite shy on stage and you can tell she is not faking it. to me she seems real and i appreciate the fact that she does not to scream every single word in her songs to prove she has talent.

• michelle says:

Javier at least mentioned that he was signed to a major label which is really all I want Dia to admit to. The fact that she (or the show who knows) hasn’t even mentioned Mia & Dia is very fishy

• Someone says:

I agree…no one talks about everyone else’s past experience in the industry but all of a sudden you see warped tour and what not when you search Dia on the web and people are like “oh not fair! Not fair!” I mean really…it’s old and obnoxious how arrogant some arguments are just to bash her.

• Snsetblaze says:

I think part of the problem is Dia until tonight never mentioned her musical past – she just said she was a children’s author (but never mentioned if she was published either). Javier was always up front about his record deals. And I’m a Meg & Dia fan who has their albums.

• J says:

you yeah, and you’re soo “believable”

• kim says:

J what are you talking about……

Snsetblaze I think you hit the nail on the head. I really don’t know why they keep introducing her as a children’s author

• J says:

You know what, the most unique characteristic of Dia is that she also writes children’s books. If you need to define her in 10 words or less, wouldn’t you highlight what differentiates her the most? Otherwise everybody is a singer/songwriter who plays instruments and sings for a band. Boring!

• mick says:

It might be an interesting side fact but the fact that that is her main selling feature makes it come across that she is an author first and a singer second. Not exactly what you want to come across to your audience

• GavinStrick says:

It is the producer’s choice not to mention that her group had a recording contract with Warner Records, not Dia’s, she talks about it on her blog and in interview. I think that the show wanted to play up Javier’s story of not quite making it–2 people on the show being dropped by major labels might have come off as loserville so to speak. I do think that claiming her as an (unpublished apparently) children’s book author was silly when in fact Dia has been a working musician for at least 7 years.

• elsa says:

I like Dia and don’t mind if she has a stage persona or a following, but she’s not the most talented person here.

• Dec says:

Respectfully disagree with your “fake contestant” comment. Having seen Meg and Dia perform before, that is just her demeanor on stage. Besides, no stage really is as big of a platform as national television watched by millions. You speak as if the Meg & Dia fan base is huge. A majority of the other contestants have also had record deals and traveled. The Voice doesn’t claim to feature contestants that are new to the industry. All of that being said, overall feelings tonight: I LOVE Vicki’s voice, but I found the song itself disappointing, and one of my favorite performances had to be Christina and Bev’s duet (although, I did roll my eyes I bet that she chose one of her songs to do.) I think the Top 4 of this show are all amazingly talented.

12. babs says:

Was pulling for Vicci, but the song was way weak–didn’t have the dynamic range that she’s so good at delivering.
    Javier’s song was boring too. And he over sang it.
    Dia had an ok song, but I didn’t think her performance was all that.
    Beverly did ok until the end of hers–she was just pushing it so hard.
    Of the duets, Beverly and Xtina did well.
    I love the craziness of CeeLo and Vicci, and I thought their voices blended the best of any of the duets.
    I bet Dia wins it. Blake has a whole Wheaton+ of followers and Dia has the most of any of the contestants.
    Oh, and I love you Michael Slezak!

13. Dorcella says:

I enjoyed all of the ladies singing tonight. Dia was the best out of everyone. Well. if Bieber nation have there way Javier will win.

• Jane says:

Fan girls voting for Javier (when they possibly never heard him sing or fairly listen to all the songs b4 casting a vote). Since internet counts so much – one reason I think Javier will win. But hey – he does have a great voice. I’m still pulling for Dia – her original song stood out among the rest.

• Emily says:

I died a little inside when Bieber endorsed Javier on Twitter. If Beliebers follow suit, it’ll be like the MTV Movie Award Twi-fest again, where people vote mindlessly (or single-mindedly, however you want to put it). If Javier deserves it, then he’ll win without the help of someone who has followers who make it their occupation to make Bieber items trend on Twitter…I’m afraid I can’t respect any fanbase that believes they made “The Color Purple” trend because it’s Bieber’s favorite color (seriously?). And it’s very possible he can win without their help. But if it’s a tight race and he gets pushed over the top this way, that’s taking it away from the real winner.

• GavinStrick says:

How ironic would it be if Beebs followers put Javier over the top? The Voice tried to level the voting playing field by restricting how many votes an individual can make, but they didn’t consider someone like Bieber who has a virtual army of followers manipulating the vote, LOL.

14. Jane says:

Best performance: Beverly
    Best original song: Dia
    Who should win: Dia
    Who will win: Javier (sigh)
    Overall: All great. Voice finalists felt more refreshing than this year’s AI finalists

15. Aiden says:

I’d love for Dia Frampton to win. I feel like all 4 contestants deserve it, and the battle winner is more unclear especially after tonight. However, I’m most drawn to Dia’s talent and uniqueness out of all of them. Vicci and Beverly gave it their all and it made for an amazing show, but I see myself in the future following Dia’s career. Honestly, though, it’s not certain right now because they all gave stellar performances.

Regarding the songs, I loved Dia’s “Inventing Shadows” out of all the originals. They weren’t the best songs written, but I actually caught myself singing along during the second half of this song. It felt like she wrote it herself. For the duets, “Beautiful” with Beverly and Christina was absolutely mesmerizing. All the artist-coach duets had their own unique punch.

16. T says:

Both Javier and Dia were awful tonight. Dia’s duet with Blake was so bad I had to mute my tv. Which really sucked since until I tonight I liked Dia a lot. Both Bev and Vicci kicked serious butt in all performances, and despite what people here are voting I am still keeping my fingers crossed that North America realizes that Dia isn’t all that.

• davey says:

I don’t know what show you were watching but Dia and Blake’s duet was the coolest of the night. So much fun.

Loved Beverly and Christina’s duet even though it was one more ego trip of Christina.

Cee Lo and Vicci had me in stitches. Oh the drama! Oh the costumes!

• ishes says:

My fingers are crossed, too. Dia is not all that.

17. Beth T says:

I liked Dia’s original song the best – but I thought she sounded awful – off key the whole time. Even the iTunes track sounds strained.

I wanted to like Vicci’s song and duet, but the execution of both were off. I’ve never gotten into Javier, though I did like his duet with Adam.

Bev won the night for me – and all my votes.

• L says:

I liked her song and it was a bit haunting but it was a touch rough at times seemed a little off key at times and such, maybe nerves.

Wow not sure how you can say Vicci’s execution was off! Certainly not on Love Is A Battlefield.

Bev was solid, although some of her Beautiful didn’t quite sit with me and too long a stretch of her solo song seemed a bit flat and boring to me.

18. JC says:

For real? do any of you actually listen to javier sing? i read these comments that he over sings but if you actually listen to his songs he always starts with subtlety and adds the flavour at the end. all the greats do it the same way. let the man sing! he has the vocal chops and control to do it so let him do it! y’all sound like you’d rather listen to a 4 verse church hymn at the old folks home! get with the times!

19. davey says:

Beverly gave a rousing performance tonight. But her song wasn’t great and I don’t think she should win.

But I thought all the woman surpassed Javier tonight.

I think all these four might get a record deal of some sort and Dia and Javier will both get recorded no matter who wins.

20. Sivat says:

Bev was great and she had the best song. Voting for her!

21. Pamela says:

Dia.

22. Michael says:

America already knew who they wanted to win and I don’t think tonight’s performances could have swayed votes. But I’m still wishing Beverly much success and luck. (It’s too bad her song was so vapid, but she still put her soul into it!)

23. Sherrie says:

Beverly was BY FAR the BEST of the night.

Dia’s duet with Blake – she sounded AWFUL.
    Vicci – she did good – but she was pitchy on some of the notes.
    Javier – did not like the MJ duet and his song was okay but didn’t like it that much. Just don’t get all the hype over this guy.
    Beverly – The Duet was AMAZING and her song was AWESOME.

Already bought both on iTunes.

Beverly was also trending here in Houston and her song was trending World Wide on Twitter. Lovesick BABY!

24. NedPepper says:

I’m a big fan of this show. All four are great. But I want Dia to win. But I like Vicci and Beverly too. I wouldn’t be disappointed if one of those ladies snuck up and won. I don’t want Javier to win. He’s talented, but overrated. But he seems to have the most ITunes downloads and probably will get the stupid teen girl vote. They ruin every show. The truth is that he’s bland with a pleasant voice.

• Christine says:

I’m not stupid and not a teen. I don’t think Javier is attractive. I have never read or watched Twilight. I do, however, like his voice. Just because you disagree, doesn’t mean I’m a “stupid teen girl”

• GavinStrick says:

Whenever a favorite doesn’t win one of these shows it is always the “stupid teen girl” vote that puts them over the top (see Allen, Kris for a prime example.)

25. Debbie M says:

I’m sorry, but I wish that they would have kept it where you could not see the contestants and judged them entirely on their voices. I just am so put off by Beverly’s neck tattoos that look like she belongs to the Arayan nation ant the head shaking that I cannot enjoy her vocals. And I keep thinking that we already have a Melissa Etheridge, why do we need another one. The “Hooooo” and the head shaking lose me every time. That being said, I did download several of her songs because I don’t have to see her to enjoy the performance.

• tvlover says:

and…i think you’ve just demonstrated the exact reason for the message in the song ‘beautiful’~ sorry you’ve internalized society’s standards of so-called ‘beauty’ to such a degree that you see bev in this way.

26. Emily says:

Does anyone else think Javier sounds like Ne-Yo, who also performed tonight?

27. RM says:

That’s why American Idol doesn’t do originals. People have no frame of reference by which to evaluate them. Originals are refreshing for singing shows. Kudos to The Voice. When contestants go on to make albums, no one aside from Susan Boyle would release an album full of covers. We’ll see who goes to win it. The Cee Lo and Vicci duet of Love Is A Battlefield was wild. When would Vicci ever get a chance to do that performance again?

28. Sophie says:

These finalists were soooooo much better than any AI finalists of recent years…perhaps ever. The songs were also better than the treacly AI ballads. TheVoice has room for improvement but it got many things right. Dia will win. I pray Beverly is signed by some indie label. She needs to be on stage singing.

• Monee says:

Any finalists, perhaps ever? I respectfully disagree. Yeah, if you look at the long ten year history of Idol, there are certainly finalists you have to scratch your head about, but that’s ten years. Are any of these guys going to be Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, or Jennifer Hudson? I doubt it. Kelly and Carrie have a longevity I don’t see happening with any of these people. Dia has really benefited from the fact that Idol has never pushed a FEMALE “arranger” of songs. All of it’s “artists” have been males. What this show does have on Idol is the theatrics.

29. bluedevil says:

It would work on radio but not on tv, sorry

• bluedevil says:

oops, placed in a wrong place

• Volcfom says:

Very true (I know the comment to which you are referring). No one wants to watch a two-hour show of people’s feet and the coaches’ reactions. It’s a shame no one pays attention to radio because it would be a great show.
      My method to keep it mostly about the voice was to FF through all the back-story and mini-interviews. I just watched the performances.

30. Manuel says:

I think either Beverly or Vicci should win; but if iTunes is any indication, “the voice” will be Dia, which I would be fine with because she reminds me of a young Vanessa Carlton, and I love Vanessa. My favorite performances were the Christina/Beverly and CeeLo/Vicci duets.

31. darcy's evil twin says:

I simply don’t know what to think.
    I personally find Javier somewhat boring.
    I like Dia even though I’m not sure I want to listen to an entire CD of Dia songs. Liked her duet with Blake!
    I was a bit disappointed in Vicci tonight. Singing a Pat Benatar song is a bit like singing Anne Wilson – dangerous. I thought Vicci had the chops to handle Pat Benatar.

And despite the fact there’s nothing “current” about Beverly, I probably enjoyed her performance the most. She sounds like a combination of several singers (Bonnie Raitt/Melissa Etheridge/Wynonna Judd). Of course there’s not much “current” about Michael Buble but he’s all over the radio.

32. Amie says:

I think the whole point of the “voice” is backfiring. Dia was given a great song tonight and it fit her voice really well, but she is not the best singer in the competition, she’s the prettiest. Yet people will vote for her even though she lacks emotional connection to the songs she’s singing.

• bluedevil says:

Actually, I think she was consistently the most emotionally connected to her songs. Her arrangement/performance of Heartless was spot on. You could hear the lyrics as she sings, and the slowed down arrangement exactly matched the meaning of the song. Arrangement of Losing my religion was also excellent and the connection with the lyrics was even better than Heartless.

But yes, she doesn’t have the strongest voice. Yet something somehow maker her voice very listenable,attractive, and slightly addictive.

Javier oversings.

Vicky gives 100% to each of her performance. But it’s always these war dances a little too much aggressiveness and no subtlety.

Beverly is great. I like her. She’s always connected with her song and also gives 100% to each performance.

33. J says:

Ha… love the Haley reference.

Anyway, I really really would love to see Beverly win. She, not Vicci, is the real underdog of this competition, and I completely feel her passion whenever she sings, whether she’s belting out those notes or reeling it back as she did in that hair-raising performance with Christina. On the other hand, she is so 90’s and I cannot picture her making it in today’s music industry. It’s a shame :/.

Ok… rant about Dia:
    Sure Dia is a sweetie and has a cool, indie vibe to her, and sure her sound can be considered unique, but her voice itself is less than stellar. It’s weak, she’s breathy, her tone is SO affected. She is completely style over substance. I am still not getting why everyone is going crazy about her. I played the Youtube video of her singing and closed my eyes to just listen to her voice – it was shaky and actually a tiny bit unpleasant. I think she’s a cool chick (I mean she has major indie cred with her previous Meg & Dia life) and I like her, but then again, I think that may also be part of the reason why so many people are loving her. Not many people like her walk onto televised talent competitions like this so she’s automatically become the cool, original, unique girl of the show. But in reality, there are a ton of people like her out there in the indie scene with just enough style to cover up their weak voices. I wonder what will happen if she wins…no more Meg & Dia? She goes mainstream? She loses the indie charm?

I definitely think Dia got lucky with song choices in this competition. It’s the songs that have made her shine more than she typically would have. Flashback to when she sang Bubbly – because that song is so overdone, and because her voice was nothing outstanding, that performance was completely forgettable. There. Proof that it’s the songs that have been carrying her throughout this competition and not her voice. I guess she deserves some credit for changing it up with Heartless, but face it, any female doing Heartless would have been deemed creative.

34. Snsetblaze says:

I liked all four songs and will download them (though not by 10 a.m. tomorrow – only doing one for the official vote). I have yet to buy one of the idol songs (even Kelly Clarkson’s was lame).

Both the duets with Adam and Ceelo were interesting. First, I am sick of that Michael Jackson song. But Javier outsang Adam on it (it sounded like Adam was straining).

As far as Ceelo – he also sounded like he was straining. He is not a rock singer.

35. Snsetblaze says:

I was a little confused though – before the show, from the way it was advertised, I thought all the singers were writing their own songs. That was a little unclear – during the show, I got the impression that the songs were not written by all of the contestants.

36. ishes says:

Why Dia? What is wrong with Bev and Vicci? They are 2 strong women in the rock world. Dia is a snooze feast compared to Vic and Bev. Vic and Bev rock and that is what we need. It is time for a female rock star. Dia/Javiar are the opposite of Bev/Vicci. But in the end the voters will play it safe and go with Javiar.

37. jaxguy says:

I like all the finalist. They all did a very good job with the material they were given. I wasn’t a big fan of Love Sick, but Bev did do a great job with it. I don’t get the trashing of Javier. He is a terrific singer. I like Vicci, but I didn’t love her song either. There are many things about Dia I like, but I’m sorry, I don’t get the lavish praise. I probably would buy her records and she’s extremely attractive and likable, but her voice is not earth shaking. If her take on Heartless gives her the win, it will be strange because Kris Allen, the inferior talent to Adam Lambert, won AI with a similar version of the song. Nothing special for me. The best performance for me tonight was Beverly and Christina with Beautiful. ABSOLUTELY GREAT! Doesn’t matter a whole lot to me who wins. I wish Jeff had at least been in the final 8. I think he would have been a better choice than Casey. She had a zero chance to make the final, but I think Jeff may have been the best singer in the contest. He was a victim of the “sob story syndrome,” that has been turning off viewers on every reality show the last 2 or 3 years.

• Fah says:

Jeff was a victim of singing a horrible song choice horribly one week and losing the competition.

He has a good voice, but that song didn’t work for him.

38. samanthajackson says:

I don’t complain about contestants with a selling musical past, like Dia or Javier (and I’m not sure, but Nakia seemed a professional as well). The problem for me is that this show pair artists like them, with people at the first esperience, like Xenia or Devon. Now, how can a med student compete with a selling recording artist?

So, dear show, take a direction: OR kind of established artists, OR fresh faces. Just don’t mix them next season, pretty please.

• bluedevil says:

I thought the singing competition for beginners is called american idol. They (Xenia, Devon and co) had a choice to compete on the voice or idol and chose the voice. It’s an open fied on the voice. What can you do, if people think they can compete with current artists and choose to sing here?

• Kate says:

I agree. I think if the show is going to stay in this short format of about 6 weeks then just go for people like Dia and Javier who have been out there for awhile, since they aren’t really going to grow much anyway. But if the show runs longer in the second season I think they should go more toward the beginners. I think it would have been fun to see the coaches get to spend more time with the contestants who really need it. Xenia had a unique voice but she only got 2 solos before the finals which really wasn’t enough time for Blake to pull her out of her shell. I really like the coaches, but if the show has seasoned performers like Javier, Dia and Bev their presence isn’t quite as necessary other than to hold hands. You saw in the videos where Dia was making her own musical arrangements, etc. so Blake was mainly just a cheerleader.

39. jw says:

I watched the entire two hours, but can’t remember anything except Mercedes on “Glee” now owns “Beautiful” and that the only thing that happened was that Vicci and Cee Lo were absolutely brilliant.

40. lisa says:

I was prepared to vote for Dia or possibly Javier tonight but i wound up voting for Bev

41. cmp says:

I think Dia is going to take it even though each one had a real moment tonight. I loved Dia’s duet with Blake. It’s the best I’ve seen him all season. Beverly was great with Christina but not so in her original song. Javier for me was so-so in both solo and duet. Vicci is a little powerhouse and I got a real kick out of her duet with CLo. She really does command attention. I’ve enjoyed the bond each coach has with their contestants and the show over all. I think AI could learn a thing or three from this production. Good luck all!

42. BrandoC15 says:

Michael, that’s ballsy! I don’t think you culd live with yourself if Dia or Javier loses! Keep your Haley stash safe!!!

43. K in SD says:

Wow. I hadn’t seen the show in a few weeks and I was disappointed at the lack of growth among all the contestants. I’m shocked to read the comments because I thought Javier was the solid winner! His singing tonight was strong, his genre seems consistent with popular sales right now, and he was the ONLY one singing an upbeat message.
    Vicci’s one of my favs, but her song was too low for her range to be demonstrated for a competition. Beverly’s performance was not meaningful to me (but I loved duet w/Xtina!) Dia’s breathing drowned out her voice – why haven’t they trained her to get away from the mic when she’s inhaling?? Maybe she just needs to stand up straight? Most singers need to, right?

44. judy says:

I think it will be close, so, did you vote? I’m pulling and have done my voting for Dia. She became my favorite when she did “heartless”. I have like her all along though, she’s had some really good performances.
    Vote now.

45. Matt says:

Dia is the prettiest, and sang a Kanye West song so she will win

46. Sandy says:

Lone dissenter here.
    I honestly liked Javier’s original song and performance and I don’t think it would be a tragedy if he won.

Vicci & Cee Lo’s “Love is a Battlefield” duet was my favorite performance of the night. I was disappointed in her original song performance but she’s still my second favorite and I would be delighted if she won.

I actually think Dia and Bev had very strong performances and both deserve to win (I think Dia will will actually).

That is all.

47. Eurydice says:

Ok, first I’m going to put my bitch face on and say that Nigel & Co. can take some lessons here – not only on how to have effective mentors, but on how to reach new heights of crass commercialism. So, there I was, awestruck at Bev and Xtina’s duet, Bev purely joyful to be performing, Xtina dialing in down so we can hear why she’s a great singer – and I’m thinking, figures Xtina would pick her own song, but she’s being generous with her performance, and “Beautiful” is kind of an anthem for the show, anyway. And the final notes haven’t even died down when Carson’s evil, dead-eyed, pumpkin head takes over the screen to start blatting on about a new NBC show that’s coming out in the WINTER…starring a runner-up from American Idol. And then we cut straight to a commercial for that same show, with the beautiful brunette from American Idol singing the same song Xtina chose for her bald, tattooed protege. Seriously, that level of cynical planning is practically Byzantine – compared to that, Nigel and JLo are still paddling in the kiddie pool.

• Alex says:

I thought the biggest crime committed was having a former American Idol finalist on the show. Katherine McPhee who I’ve never liked and never will.

48. Joan says:

I loved Vicci and Cee Lo’s “Love is a Battlefield”, but partially because of the kids. They were so cute and talented with their dancing and the girl next to Vicci in the begining was fierce.

49. Eurydice says:

And now, I can say some less cranky things. I think any one of them deserves to win. They all gave great performances with a lot of passion. Of the original songs, only Javier’s was the complete package – it moved along, it had a hook and it showed off his voice. Bev’s song was repetitive and kind of disjointed, like two boring songs slapped together, and it didn’t allow for her range – Vicci’s song was an unmemorable shout-fest and Dia’s was the kind of indie drone sound that doesn’t interest me.

I loved all the duets and even the guest performances, and I love the free-wheeling feel of the show, even thought I’m sure it’s scripted to within an inch of everybody’s life. Bev’s my favorite, but I’ll be happy no matter who wins.