Ratings: True Blood Premiere Ties All-Time High

The much-anticipated Season 4 premiere of True Blood bit into one of the series’ biggest audiences ever on Sunday night, drawing 5.4 million total viewers, HBO reports. Though previous accounts had the fresh episode falling just shy of the show’s previous record of 5.44 million (set by the penultimate episode of Season 3), HBO is touting the premiere as having matched that all-time high. And no matter how you slice it, the premiere was up 6 percent versus the Season 3 launch.

An 11 pm rebroadcast of the opener added an additional million viewers, for a combined audience of 6.4 mil for the night. Demo numbers have not yet been made available.

True Blood Premiere Post Mortem: Series Creator Alan Ball Weighs In On The Big Twists!

Elsewhere on Sunday night, Nate Ford and his Leverage team returned with confidence, drawing an audience of 3.42 million total viewers — up 10 percent versus the TNT series’ Season 3 opener — including 1.35 mil in the coveted 18-49 demo (on par with a year ago).

Falling Skies: Burning Questions Answered!

Leading out of Leverage, Week 2 of Falling Skies scored an audience of 4.2 mil, with 1.9 mil falling in the 18-49 demo. While that marks a drop of 29 and 25 percent, respectively, from the sci-fi drama’s out-of-this-world premiere numbers, the tallies are still strong for a basic cable drama.

Lifetime’s Drop Dead Diva dropped 17 percent from its premiere, delivering 2.4 million viewers.

1. Metallicangel1 says:

Not surpised at Leverage. Best show of the summer!

2. spikesgrl says:

Sooo happy to see Leverage getting some love!!

3. Emily says:

Yay for Leverage! Such a good show.

4. Lauren says:

I haven’t watched True Blood since season one, but I watched the premiere of season four and have gotten re-hooked. God I love Eric.

5. jenny says:

Whoo hoo! LOVE True Blood. :)

6. Michael says:

I thought the TB premiere was underwhelming but congrats to it. I’m sure episode 2 is much better (I have yet to watch it but I’m assuming that’s why HBO made it available so quickly, so that people wouldn’t be discouraged in waiting a week).

• Noelle says:

Michael, I think you make a good point. There may have been a push to make the second episode available quickly since the season premiere could be viewed as weak. I, for one, watched episode two already and, as a result, am more optimistic about this season than I was after the premiere.

• Michael says:

I figured as much. My sister watched the second episode last night and classified it as “exhausting” (in a good way) with new twists that definitely made them excited for the rest of the season. I would watch it but don’t want to have to wait two weeks for a new episode.

7. Sivat says:

The premiere was very good, so I’m not surprised the ratings were high. Team Bill FTW!

8. Annika says:

Too bad the True Blood premiere SUCKED. And not in a good way…

9. Pam says:

For Dish subscribers, it has an HBO free preview weekend, ergo, you probably had a lot of people, like myself, who watched it who normally do not get HBO. They did the same thing for the first episode of Game of Thrones.

10. Katrina says:

I watched TB at 9 and it was great!! I loved every second. Then I watched the second episode on monday and it was even better!!! This is going to be the best season yet. Cant get enough.

11. Danielle H. says:

It’s funny how no one in the real world can actually verify ratings though; we just have to take them for what they are and hope we are being shown the truth lol! I had to come back to the article because you had to change it to reflect what HBO came up with..

Anyway, about the actual premiere, I caught it on DVR the next night ( I watch nothing live). It feels like a totally different show to me. It was for sure a catch up episode, quite like the first eppy of season 3 was as well. I’ve heard that the 2nd eppy makes up for what we were missing in this one though. I enjoyed it, just not as much as season 1. I don’t think anything will ever top how the show felt in season 1.

12. Ashley says:

True Blood got a 3 demo , better than a lot of big networks shows.

13. AndyLuvr says:

Enjoyed the first episode of “True Blood’s” first season but the second episode? I’m thinking now that episode two should have been the season opener. It’s fantastic. But I get that the show needed the obligatory set-up episode for the season.