TVLine Items: Gandolfini Eyes Office, OLTL Vet Returns, Breaking Bad End Date Talk, and More

Could Tony Soprano be the next Michael Scott?

That’s perhaps what the folks over at NBC were hoping when they recently met with The Office fan James Gandolfini. Alas, Variety hears that unfortuantely (or not?) the former HBO mob boss just wasn’t interested in joining Dunder Mifflin’s ranks on a full-time basis. Of course, James Spader is now the front-runner to come aboard the sitcom in the wake of Steve Carell’s exit.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

One Life to Live fan fave Erin Torpey is returning to Llanview before the ABC sudser signs off in January. According to TV Guide Magazine, Torpery will not appear as Jessica — the role she mastered for over a decade, and since 2003 has been played by Bree Williamson — but rather as a new character who will nonetheless afford Torpey the chance to reunite with one of her former co-stars “in a fun, special way” this September. Please say it’s “mom” Erika Slezak!

• Is the end near for AMC’s Breaking Bad? Showrunner Vince Gilligan tells Collider.com that as of now, “Season 5 should probably be our last season. But…check with me a year from now, we’ll see if I change my tune.” Season 4 arrives Sunday, July 17.

The Marriage Ref‘s Season 2 premiere on Sunday drew 4.57 million total viewers while scoring a meager 1.6 demo rating (down 20 percent from its Season 1 finale and tying an all-time low).

• NBC has posted unaired episodes of the short-lived Perfect Couples online. Check out “Perfect Pants” here, and “Perfect Daughter” here.

Hellcats alum Sharon Leal and Lincoln Heights‘ Russell Hornsby will both guest star on the fourth episode of USA Network’s Suits, says The Hollywood Reporter. Hornsby, who this fall stars in NBC’s Grimm, will play a businessman from Jessica’s (Gina Torres) past, while Leal appears in the same episode as a consultant.

Carly Foulkes aka the T-Mobile pitchgirl has landed the role of Retro Girl on FX’s Powers pilot, comic book creator Brian Michael Bendis told the Sirius radio show Geektime.

World Without End, the eight-hour followup to last year’s The Pillars of the Earth miniseries, has locked in its cast, says Deadline, and it includes Cynthia Nixon (Sex and the City), Miranda Richardson (Rubicon) and Ben Chaplin (Murder by Numbers).

Access Hollywood Live has been renewed for a second season, with Billy Bush and Kit Hoover continuing as hosts.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (21)

• UGH, I HATE James Spader!

Comment by jrs – June 27, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is too good of an actor to be on the crap called The Office.

Comment by Midori – June 27, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second this!

Comment by rebecca a. – June 27, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Ganfolfini an Italian wizard from Middle Earth?

Comment by km – June 27, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT ABOUT MAKE IT OR BREAK IT? IT WAS RENEWED OR NOT? PLLLEEEASE.

Comment by claire – June 27, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope James Spader gets the gig.

Comment by Kristen – June 27, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of all the characters that interviewed for the job, I would go for Spader. But I really wasn’t high on any of them. Gandolfini would have been a really inspired and interesting choice. But I think they should just promote Jim (or maybe even Pam!) and let the supporting players shine a bit more.

Comment by Buffy Freak – June 27, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought they were taking Powers seriously. That T-Mobile spokesgirl is irritating. She drives me and most people I know nuts. I hope Brian Michael Bendis was joking when he said that.

Comment by Sean Carter – June 27, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of course, if you know the series, then you know the character of Retro Girl is the focus of the story, but only because she is dead. So hopefully Carly Foulkes won’t be so irritating playing a dead body…

Comment by David – June 28, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The marriage ref? Really? Can’t believe that thing is still on.

But Breaking Bad should not end if they can still bring more good stories!! It is one of the best and would hate to see it go.

Comment by Bennett – June 27, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone but James Spader! Giving up on The Office if they bring back his character in any capacity

Comment by Dave – June 27, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erin Torpey? I think it’s a nice gesture, but there are far more vets I’d rather see return before the end (Nathan Fillion). And more importantly, people I don’t want to see leave so soon (Kelly).

Comment by Jessica – June 27, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they’re having Kelly and Joey leave so that (hopefully) Joey can return at the very end (as Nathan Fillion) hopefully with Kelly along with him. It would suck for the actor playing him now just to get replaced by Nathan for one lousy day and then ride off into the sunset with Kelly. Besides AMC is getting a TON of returning vets for their ending… I’m hoping that OLTL gets the same treatment as well. It’s still WAY early though to be worried about that. They stop shooting in late October/November I think.

Comment by Dan – June 27, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not that it’s very important, but The Marriage Ref had 1.6 demo (not 0.6)

Comment by msmaka – June 27, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fixed, and no it isn’t ;)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 27, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad should never end . . . NEVER! That would be Kafkaesque Yo!

Comment by Heisenberg – June 27, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanx for the Perfect Couples links. I’ve yet to try them (I’m hoping that it’s accessible to Canadians), but I think it’s great that the network is at least giving us a chance to see the entire season. Such a shame it was cancelled. I was really enjoying it, and Fox’s Traffic Lights.
    As for James Spader, he was by far the best/interesting character to try out for the job, but I think he may wear off his welcome very quickly. I would rather see a low-key guy (or woman) take over the role, and gradually come to be a force to reckon with over time. Shame he lost all his looks too. He used to be a really good-looking man when he was in his twenties.

Comment by sashay – June 27, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, all Canadians, don’t bother trying out the Perfect Couples videos. Just another show that we’re not allowed to see. I blame Stephen Harper myself, because we’ve got to blame someone.

Comment by sashay – June 27, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would you suggest that we watch unaired eps of Perfect Couples? Do you not like us? Did we say something to upset you? Do we offend in some other way?

Comment by Joe B. – June 28, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kill BREAKING BAD after 5 seasons, you must be smoking the stage props. Original content, great actor as your base that has fans across all ages.

I agree you can only run the same storyline before you need to move another direction, thus… Walt now has his goal completed, make $ for family. Bring in new actors in Season 4/5 give them more airtime and push Walt into a Godfather role that just hands out orders, let the new actors gain subplots and run the show longer. Bob would be a great person to take the co-lead. Bring another Mafia type series over where the characters are established already.

We know that Marie has a shoplifting problem from S1, that has not been retouched ‘yet’… Hanks partner going to another city gives a new location/sub story. Revisit the people from Walt’s school. Let’s not forget, Gus has multiple-operations giving hundreds of possible subplots.

9.3 – 9.8 imdb rating, why kill a good thing.

Comment by FIBER0PTIC – June 28, 2011 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty sure Erin Torpey appeared on OLTL once before after she left as the grown-up Megan, Jessica’s baby that had died. That was when Vicki died and went to heaven, no? Will she be appearing as Megan again?

Comment by Amber – June 29, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post