Switched at Birth Preview: Fireworks, Drama and More Hunky Guys!

Nothing ratchets up family tensions like a social mixer with a very diverse guest list, so Kathryn’s (Lea Thompson) school fundraiser at the Kennish home on tonight’s Switched at Birth (ABC Family, 9/8c) proves to be the perfect recipe for disaster.

Summer TV Snapshot: Does ABC Family’s Switched at Birth Deliver?

“Everyone you can imagine shows up, and the fireworks definitely go off,” previews Katie LeClerc, who plays Kathryn’s biological daughter, Daphne. “There’s lots of drama. There’s lots of crazy excitement. There’s definitely some tears. And probably some laughter as well.”

Adds Vanessa Marano, who plays artsy, feisty Bay: “A huge fight breaks out between a few of the characters.” Could the girls’ complicated romantic entanglements – each is dating a guy from the other’s neighborhood – be the source of some of the fighting? Marano hints that the reveal will definitely cause trouble between Daphne and Bay, but adds, “I get her back. It’s cool.”

“More love interests will appear,” she continues. “There’s a new one for [Daphne]. There’s a new one for [Bay]. We have ADD when it comes to the masculine persuasion on our show.”

Even Daphne’s deaf pal, Emmett (Sean Berdy), will get in on the action. “Ooh, he gets a love interest!” exclaims Marano. “If I’m correct, he gets two.”

Emmett has “a nice little arc,” says LeClerc, adding, “I definitely think some of the choices that these characters make might surprise people.” Like, perhaps, Emmett developing more-than-friendly feelings for Daphne? “I think when you’re very intimately close with a friend, you can’t help but love them,” replies LeClerc. “I feel like they definitely love each other [as friends]. Over the course of the season, that definition might change a little bit.”

Brothers & Sisters Alum Joins Switched at Birth

Fireworks will also go off when Brothers & Sisters‘ hunky Gilles Marini guest stars in the season finale as Bay’s biological father, Angelo. As a musician, Angelo is “getting along great” with his artistic daughter, Bay, according to Marano. But Daphne will be less welcoming of the man she believed to be her father. “[He's] a big source of concern for Daphne,” says LeClerc. “She definitely feels abandoned. With that comes a lot of resentment.”

Meanwhile, “Bay’s just really trying to make everything work with intertwining the families,” says Marano, before adding with a smile, “I can’t say that that’s going well.”

Switched at Birth fans, are you excited for the fireworks to go off tonight? Who do you think catches Emmett’s eye?

1. Jess says:

It will be revealed that Emmett is actually gay, and his love interest will be the older brother Toby (Lucas Grabeel). Please don’t tell me I’m the only one that saw this?

• Layla says:

I completely agree with you. Having Emmett get with one of the girls would be cliche and playing on one theme way too much. I saw some chemistry between him and Toby when they first met, so I’ll be happy if THEY get together. Besides, poor Toby will be left out, otherwise, and Lucas Grabeel has played other roles that support the LGBT community. COME ON, ABC, DO IT! DON’T BORE US WITH YOUR HETERONORMATIVE MINDSET, ESPECIALLY SINCE BAY/TY AND DAPHNE/LIAM IS CUTE ENOUGH!!!

• Jaslyn says:

I think that would be a complete shock if Toby and Emmett became love interests, but wouldn’t that leave Bay out considering her current love interest is in the army and will be gone for like 3 years?

• frosty says:

I saw it in the first episode.

• Sammy says:

I thought the SAME THING!

They were giving each other cruisy eyes!! And you don’t cast Lucas Gabreel as a recurring and not have him play a gay!

• Thespia says:

Stop with the slash fiction! Nah, I totally see Emmett falling for Bay; he has that whole anti-hearing thing, and Bay has more chemistry with Emmett than with whats his face from the old neighborhood.

• co2l says:

I think that having Lucas Gabreel being not gay is fantastic. He doing such a good job being a straight bamf. My mom didn’t even relize he was “the gay kid” from HSM. I think him being gay in this would be redundent and stupid

• shannon says:

I think Bay is in to girls
      which is fine i just think thats what will happen

• Lais says:

I was hoping so much for Emmet and Toby to get together. But its hopeless..

2. Megan says:

I kind of want Bay and Emmett together. i think they have similar outlook on life and it is only right now that Liam is trying with Daphne.

3. terri says:

Bay and Emmett for sure. I saw that look

4. Bobby says:

i’m gay and I’d like to see more positive portrayals of gay kids on tv. i think abcfamily should go with the Toby/Emmett route for sure.

• Thespia says:

I’d love to see Bay with Emmett, but Toby and Emmett works too; it’s chertainly a bigger case of opposites attracting. Toby is unabashedly spoiled, while Emmett is a total deaf advocate and very proud. Toby’s character is still not as fleshed out as the others. He’s very funny when he does get sceen time.

• Inky says:

As entertaining and a plot twist as Toby/Emmett would be (i.e. seeing how they overcome the deaf barrier as well as dealing with fam and society) I think they have played up too much of Emmett’s love for Daphne(romantic or not)to dirvert from it.

And I’m a Emmett/Daphe shipper all the way, so i may be a bit biased.

5. Leah says:

I’m all for Bay/Emmett or even Emmett/Toby. I just want Liam and Daphne to get together. They’re so cute

• Thespia says:

Liam is cute but their relationship doesn’t feel quite epic; Liam seems very bland like he’s not acted very much and isn’t able to convey passion on screen. Plus he didn’t defend Daphne when his friends picked on her; grrrr!

6. frosty says:

so i’m not the only one who sees the emmett/toby connection.

7. owlcity says:

look people i dont wanna sound mean but really a gay couple?? seriously we all know Emmett is in love with Daphne but is afraid to admit it i mean come on he said he wanted a girl who was funny hot smart and into motercycles…(Daphne duh!)

• Inky says:

I agree. With the sudden influx of gay tv relationships in tvculture, it seem very cliche for them to suddenly come out and say “OH!btw, emmett was gay all along, and so was toby, but this was not intially established because…we…just…thought of it.” It’s a little late in the game, ya know? Add to that the D/E love connection(romantic or non) it would be tots awk.

8. owl city says:

also he said SHE would HAVE to be DEAF ! ;)

9. just me says:

It’s gonna be Bay. I read some episode summaries for upcoming episodes and they say ‘Bay and Emmett become closer’ & ‘Bay and Emmet become more serious about eachother’.. So obviously its Bay that cathes Emmett’s eye ;)

10. Becca says:

I’m more of a fan of the whole Emmett and Daphne thing, but I know that it’s going to be Bay. The thing I wounder is do they start going out or does Emmett not know who he likes more?

11. Cammie says:

I’m all for Bay/Emmett, but Daphne/Emmett is my second. I don’t see Emmett/Toby, considering Toby flirts with girls quite often, and Emmett described his perfect other as deaf, smart, and a girl. I’m not against gay relationships, I just don’t see it happening in this series.

And Bay and Emmett, according to Wikipedia, will get together eventually. Even though Wikipedia articles could be written by anyone, It was confirmed by several other websites as well.

As for clichés, this is ABC Family. Cliché is practically everywhere, especially in dramatic series (plural?). ABC Family is dramatic… very dramatic. ;)

• Inky says:

I think the Emmett/Bay relationship will be used to bring to light Daphne’s love for him. She’s sorta oblivious. :/

12. Thespia says:

This show has quickly become a favorite; who hasn’t had the discussion about having to wear a tired old dress to a fancy party? I love that there is a show with lead deaf characters on TV, and both sets of moms and daughters are always full of drama, but with a sweet edge. Switched is a nice mash up of Gilmore Girls and Everwood; drama, tears and humor, always entertaining.

13. Kevin Mulcahy Jr. says:

Every Switched at Birth episode title is also the name of a famous work of art! I put together all the paintings with a description of each episode here http://bit.ly/SWITCHEDcode including the next 2! What do you think?

14. Omgitsme10 says:

ABCFam has done more than enough to celebrate pride if you ask me. Not EVERY SINGLE SHOW needs to have a gay character as a hook…it does get old. Just bc you want it ‘politically correct’ and therefore feel like someone has to be homosexual doesn’t mean everyone shares your sentiment.

15. forkuu says:

any one else bothered by vanessa maranos speech patterns?
    soooo annoying…

16. lafy says:

OMG I love this show and I think Emmett is really cute I can wat for January I think Emmett and Daphne should go out cosbi don’t trust Bay n I really don’t won’t him to broke Emmett heart

17. Alexis says:

I’m kind of thinking Bay might be gay or become gay in the future. I mean there has been hints like Toby commenting on Zarra and her possibly being a thing and then again when Lana says she has a love interest and reassures Bay it isn’t her. In the beginning I was totally shipping Daphne/Wilkes but I guess that’s not playing out. Le sadface