Law & Order: SVU Scoop: Danny Pino, Kelli Giddish Cop Series Regular Roles

Law & Order: SVU – The Next Generation” is taking shape, with the news that Danny Pino (Cold Case) and Kelli Giddish (Chase) are both boarding the NBC crime drama as series regulars.

Pino was just last week mentioned as among the show’s short list to fill the void left by Chris Meloni, who did not ink a new deal to return to the series. On CBS’ Cold Case, he for seven seasons played Senior Detective Scotty Valens.

SVU No Longer Looking to Collar Jennifer Love Hewitt

Giddish, meanwhile, will take on the role once mentioned in the same breath as Jennifer Love Hewitt, as a new lady cop picking up the slack when Mariska Hargitay scales down her workload come midseason. In addition to her runs on NBC’s Chase and before that Fox’s Past Life, Giddish recently guested on The Good Wife.

Mariska Hargitay Laments Chris Meloni’s SVU Exit: ‘I Love Him and Will Miss Him Terribly’

“I’m very pleased that we have two amazing actors joining the cast,” L&Overlord Dick Wolf said in a statement. “I know this combination will give us the opportunity to explore the world of SVU with new eyes.”

Says NBC entertainment boss Robert Greenblatt, “Kelli and Danny are two great actors who will join a proven cast headed by Mariska Hargitay as this exceptional series heads into a very promising 13th season.”

But what do you say, SVU faithful? Are you excited by either or both of these castings?

1. Nicole says:

I’m very excited about these two getting hired. I liked Danny alot on Cold Case and I think he will compliment, and help, Mariska’s acting alot in the first 13 episodes. And everyone on other sites are talking about them being young. They’re around the same age as Chris and Mariska when they first started SVU. This show needs this. Thank goodness Chris is gone is all I can say.

2. T says:

Rats…….no Kevin Alejandro. Really hoped he would get on the show. Indifferent about Kelli Giddish. Would’ve LOVED Jennifer Beals but not sure if she was even on their list.

3. Amber says:

Hmm. I don’t really like Kelli Giddish. I agree with other people posting that she’s pretty one-dimensional, uninteresting, and flat. But I do think she’s at the very least a step up from Jennifer Love Hewitt and she’s a little more age appropriate for the role. I didn’t want to see a 20-year old take over that part. I don’t know anything about the guy, but I think NBC made a horrible mistake in not meeting Chris Meloni’s demands. That show needs him, especially with Mariska Hargitay leaving. I guess if they end up sucking, they are easily replaceable as long as the show keeps going. NBC also made a horrible mistake in not jumping on the idea to hire Jennifer Beals.

4. Mary says:

SVU has been in decline for many years because of Neal Baer’s pimping of both Mariska and the guest stars in order to win Emmys. Many of the storylines were just ludicrous. Chris Meloni made me want to tune in as he is a fine actor and, even with some pretty poor material, he approached his character with passion. The reasons for him leaving are now irrelevant as SVU is now dead, no matter what happens this is now a completely different show without him, and I’m glad he’s moving on to bigger and better things in his career

5. sal says:

I’m disappointed by this casting. Why wasn’t one of these roles cast with an Asian actor? SVU takes place in NYC, right? But in 19 years of the original, 10 years of CI, and 12 years of SVU, not one lead actor or actress was Asian. In all this air time, only one minor character in Wong’s FBI psychiatrist? This is NYC, right? Is Wolf racist against Asians or what?

6. Carson says:

Umm…wow. Dude, you seriously need to see a therapist or something.

7. pbm says:

Very happy about Pino but I am NOT a Giddish fan, going all the way back to her stint on All My Children. I’ll still watch it but she may be the reason I quit watching (that and if the writing doesn’t improve from the past three seasons).

8. WB Frog says:

When will producers learn when a star of the show leaves, time to call it quits.

9. Bob says:

Everyone moaned and groaned every time someone was replaced on the original L&O. It managed to stay on the air for 19 seasons. This show is in its 13th year and still going strong. Adjust to the new reality, support the show, and it’ll be on a few more seasons. Would you rather not have it on?

• WB Frog says:

Hate it for the New Yorkers who depend on the L&O shows, but I don’t really care if it’s on any more or not. The original lasted 6 seasons too long, too. When Orbach left, the show dwindled creatively.

10. Lord Vader III says:

It’s funny how many people are talking about the bad writing on Chase but nobody is mentioning how bad the writing has been on SVU for the past few years.

That said, I think Giddish will be great and, out of all the guys originally listed, Pino is the one that I guess I can accept.

11. Linda says:

I was hoping for David Conrad. Hopefully he will land on something else soon.

• Andrew says:

Same here. I was hoping JLH from Ghost Whisperer would get cast too. Oh well. Who knows, maybe they’ll keep him in mind if and when Danny Pino decides to quit…LOL

12. Desert Cat says:

I remember that when Robert Patrick joined “The X-Files”, I was initially horrified by the idea, but because David Duchovny had been phoning it in for so long I gave it a shot and ended up becoming a big fan of Robert Patrick’s because I enjoyed his performance. Unfortunately, I do not have the same investment in SVU. I’m done. Good luck to them.

13. Gretchen says:

I will still watch–L&O survived through many cast changes in the leads. The only difference here is SVU has had the same leads for a long time, but if changes worked with the original, why not this one?

There are so many great actors from L&O that should have been considered and “transferred” to SVU, though. How about Jeremy Sisto or Anthony Anderson? L&O fans know them and like them, they fit with the franchise.

• HGFM says:

There is a big difference between the original and SVU changing casts. L&O changed cast members regularly over its history and that practice started early on. And none of those characters pushed into the position of being “the star(s)” of the show. SVU had become all about Benson and Stabler.The longer that went on the more difficult it will be to change over successfully.
      As to bringing characters over from other L&O shows, that wouldn’t work. L&O has been off the air for a year and the actors have moved on to other things. I can’t see either Sisto’s or Anderson’s characters playing well on SVU. The same thing with the detectives from LOLA and especially the ones from LOCI.

• Gretchen says:

The leads on L&O changed regularly–and I disagree that the focus of SVU has been Benson/Stabler. Even if it were, there was a focus on many of the L&O leads who came and went over several seasons, it just wasn’t a 13 season run.

Having L&O oldies transferred would at least have stars who have worked in the franchise previously in the show. Sisto would be great as an SVU detective. D’Onofrio I can’t imagine, though, gotta agree on that, much as I adore him on LOCI!

14. Andrea says:

I don’t mind Benson and Stabler leaving, since I only watch SVU infrequently and replacing characters has always been part of the L&O model. However, Pino and Giddish are bland choices to me, and they don’t inspire any desire to view SVU more frequently. I agree with the poster who suggested transplanting L&O: UK’s Matt Devlin from across the Pond. THAT would have been interesting to watch!

15. jay says:

Why does NBC keep casting this girl??? Two failed shows in back to back years….why, why, why???

16. :) says:

Nooo! No one can ever be as perfect as Chris and Mariska in their roles. At least we have 12 other seasons to watch over and over again. :/

17. Helen says:

I’ve always liked this show – I watch it’s reruns during the day. Sad for the changes, but glad that the show stays around. And frankly, happy for all of the actors. I like that my two favorite ADAs are coming back. I will continue to watch SVU. (How many of us call it Law & Order SUV?)

18. Joy says:

I’ve never even heard of either of these 2 actors. I am VERY disappointed. This is one of my favorite shows and it looks like it’s going to crap-out this season. :( I will at least attempt to watch it when it comes back, but I have a feeling without Christopher Meloni, after Mariska Hargitay’s episodes are done, there won’t be much of a show left. Fin and Munch are good guys, but I totally watched for Benson and Stabler. Sad, sad day for L&O SVU. I truly believe this will be it’s last season. :(

19. Lana says:

Will not watch any longer. Chris Meloni was partly responsible for the show’s success. I predict the show will be cancel at the end of the season. I just have to live with the reruns

20. Eriane says:

Pino is an amazing actor, with an interesting career in independent movies where he showed how good actor he is. Meloni choses not joined the new season, so sorry, welcome Danny Pino.

21. lowry says:

Thank God they didn’t go with Jennifer Love Hewitt.

22. BethRyan says:

I love danny pino & cold case and i cant wait for him to join this, stupid that the others are leavi g L&O , it will just ruin it. I thoght they were staying and danny was just joining not replacing , i will continue watching but not if i dont enjoy it,

23. Brice says:

The show is pretty much over. Wolf made a huge mistake on this one. Even though I believe Mariska Hartigay could carry the show without Stabler, they are the driving chemistry of the show. Their onscreen relationship was incredible. Ice-T and Munch enhanced this chemistry. I am done. The two new actors have no chemistry with Benson or Ice-T. Chris Meloni will be sorely missed.

24. Debbie M. Davila says:

I didn’t not know that Danny Pino have joined the SVU family, until now. I love him. I have watched all the episodes of Cold Case. Now I can watch him on SVU.