TV's Gay New Yorkers: Who Might Now Be Heading for a Wedding?

Dust off your virtual tuxedo or LBD, because New York State’s decision to legalize gay marriage — the largest member of the Union to do so — means that splashy same-sex weddings are now on the table for LGBT characters from New York-set TV shows, past and present.

Who might be heading for a legal wedding? Let’s take a look at whose registry you might soon be shopping from….

1. sarah says:

Carol and Susan would make it official for sure. So would Will and Vince. I would most like to see Serena get married to a hot lady though.

2. klutzy_girl says:

Definitely Diana and Christie! And yes, I was also thinking Carol and Susan from Friends. I wonder if their first wedding was a civil union.

And I can’t think of anyone else.

3. Eric says:

Hello. Justin was not Betty’s brother, but her nephew… :)

4. Stefanie says:

Not all queers with partners in NY (or anywhere else) will or want to get marriage now that NY has made it legal. I am a native New Yorker and queer and happy that same-sex marriage will be legal very soon in my home state, but marriage is not the be-all-and-end-all for everyone, even though of us in long-term committed same-sex relationships. Marriage has a long history of inequality, sexism, and oppression, and no matter how many states (or the nation for that matter) make same-sex marriage legal, not everyone who is bisexual, lesbian, gay, queer, etc. will opt for it.

• Indeed says:

Amen!

• lipsticksocialism says:

well said, but it’s still important for it to be legalized (not that you’re saying it’s not). It’s all about personal choice.

• Lola says:

Well said, Stefanie! I’m a married hetero and marriage isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. I am always telling my kids not to get married, just live together if it’s right for you and while it’s right for you. While divorces are a dime a dozen, who needs the legal hassle. Good luck to you and your partner, whatever you choose to do.

5. ck says:

Definitely Chuck & Nate from “Gossip Girl.” ;)

6. Rory says:

Erm, I completely disagree with Mark St. James… he had some true character growth toward the end of the series and showed a definite willingness towards finding someone to settle down with… but being how you thought Justin was her brother, I can see how you’d mess that one up…

7. Richard says:

Ben was not Will’s adopted son on “Will & Grace”, he was Will’s biological son who had with a surrogate.

8. S says:

Omg I miss Ugly Betty so much. There were some really amazing characters on that show.

• Amy says:

I so agree. And yes, TV Line, Marc was an AWESOME person by the end of the show! Too bad they never watched it enough to know that, or whether Justin was Betty’s brother or nephew.

9. tvgirl48 says:

I think Will and Vince would definitely get married if it were legal. But Jack? Only if Kevin Bacon came around!

10. Danielle H. says:

When the heck did Dr. George Huang come out on SVU? I’ve seen like every eppy and I had no idea!!!!

11. lipsticksocialism says:

love remembering some of the oldies :) thanks for this article.

12. CMJ says:

Dwelling on the past is generally not a good idea. Dwelling on the past of fictional indviduals is pathetic.

• Lola says:

Boo, hiss. The article was a fun summer read. If you thought it was going to be a waste of time, you didn’t have to click on “read more.” Just sayin’.

• Simon Jester says:

@CMJ – That would make *commenting* on the past of fictional individuals downright moronic, no?

13. Lola says:

Fun article. How about Michael Ausiello, will he tie the knot??? So happy for all the LGBT community in NY – it’s about time!!!

14. Mr. Furley says:

You forgot Burt & Ernie.
    Could a Teletubbie or two be far behind?? ;)

15. Alex says:

Oh please please please let George Huang get married! That would be the perfect sendoff for BD before he goes to Awake! <3