Fall TV Preview

Fall TV: ABC Sets Premiere Dates, Including Supersized Grey's Anatomy and Modern Family

Get More: Fall TV Preview

ABC is the third network (following The CW and Fox) to unveil its detailed premiere plan for the fall TV season, and it features five “supersized” openers, including a double dose of Grey’s Anatomy and hour-long helpings of both The Middle (as we first reported) and Modern Family.

Fall TV Preview: TVLine’s Guide to What’s New

Remember, Cougar Town arrives midseason (now airing Tuesday at 9/8c, after the fall cycle of DWTS). Also on hold for later premieres are Shark Tank and the brand-new series Apartment 23 (to air Tuesdays after Cougar Town), Good Christian BellesMissingThe RiverScandal (from Grey’s creator Shonda Rhimes) and Work It. All told, the Alphabet network’s fall game plan looks like this

Friday, September 16
10 pm 20/20

Monday, September 19
8 pm  Dancing with the Stars
10 pm Castle

Tuesday, September 20
9 pm Dancing with the Stars Results Show
10 pm Body of Proof

Fall 2011 TV Grid: Where Did Your Favorite Shows Land?

Wednesday, September 21
8 pm The Middle (one-hour premiere)
9 pm  Modern Family (one-hour premiere)
10 pm Revenge [new series]

Grey’s Exclusive: Ellen Pompeo Weighs In on Mer-Der Fight: ‘He Needs To Get Over It, Quick’

Thursday, September 22
8 pm Charlie’s Angels [new series]
9 pm Grey’s Anatomy (two-hour premiere)

Sunday, September 25
7 pm Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (two-hour premiere, then one hour for the following three Sundays)
9 pm Desperate Housewives
10 pm Pan Am [new series]

Fall TV Recast Report: Happy Endings‘ Damon Wayans Will (Briefly) Live with Fox’s New Girl

Wednesday, September 28
8:30 pm Suburgatory [new series]
9:30 pm Happy Endings

Thursday, September 29
10 pm Private Practice

Shonda Rhimes Talks Private Practice Finale: What Addison Did Will Bite Her In the Butt

Sunday, October 2
7 pm America’s Funniest Home Videos

Tuesday, October 11
8 pm Last Man Standing (one-hour premiere) [new series]

Tuesday, October 18
8:30 pm Man Up! [new series]

Friday, October 21
8 pm Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (Friday time period premiere; always two hours)

Sunday, October 23
8 pm Once Upon a Time [new series]

NOT RETURNING FOR ABC: Better With You, Brothers & SistersDetroit 1-8-7Mr. Sunshine,My GenerationNo Ordinary FamilyOff the MapThe Whole Truth and V.

Comments (65)

• I can’t decide if I want Revenge to do well or not. On one hand, it has Connor Paolo and Emily Vankamp, but on the other I want Eric back on Gossip Girl. It’s like Sophie’s Choice up in here!

Comment by Sam – June 27, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s hope it does well. Connor Paolo was egregiously underused on GG anyway, so it’s their loss.

Comment by april-ann – June 27, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it’s a really fantastic pilot, give it a chance! :)

Comment by A – June 27, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agreed, it was one of the better pilots. actually alot of abc’s pilots are strong this year with a few exceptions.

Comment by geekgrrl33 – June 27, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • REVENGE has a lot of frothy, soapy potential. And Connor gets, like, lines of dialogue and everything!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 27, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That, and his own storyline, too?? lol – I sure hope so! Frothy and soapy, I’ll take it! I’m still waiting (too patiently) for Dallas 2.0, thought it would be Dirty Sexy Money. They’ll deliver a great show with talent in spades, then just when we’re totally hooked………oh well, that’s ABC for ya.

Comment by april-ann – June 27, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Besides Castle that list is dull, dull, dull.

Comment by Paul – June 27, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN!!! However, I am looking forward to Grey’s Anaotmy & Private Practice!! Still mighty ticked about Off The Map, V, and Brother’s & Sisters!!

Comment by Debi – June 27, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The network sucks for not giving quality shows like “Off the Map” a chance.

Comment by Erin – July 2, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • V too, it was starting to get good again.

Comment by TJCrinc – September 15, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved “Off the Map”!!! Very disappointed that it was not renewed. This is why I hate getting into new shows.

Comment by Lacey – October 9, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree…

Comment by nakedheat2356 – June 27, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why don’t i see Cougar Town listed? when does that return??

Comment by jen – June 27, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cougar Town??

Comment by Brooke – June 27, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cougar Town = Mid-season.

Comment by Bookerguy – June 27, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boo to Cougar Town’s midseason return. At what point will ABC learn that they don’t do well with delaying the return of their shows? Even Lost took a hit in the ratings when they moved to the format of having it come back only in January.

Comment by Tracy – June 27, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wrong. Lost gained viewers the first season they moved to the delayed January premiere. Also, the first half of season 5 made headway, but the show dragged and then they lost viewers. A full year and half later. Nice try though.

Comment by kris – June 27, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Revenge will get good lead-in support its first week!!! :)

Comment by chris – June 27, 2011 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is gonna be in the Tuesdays at 8/7c timeslot until October 11th, DWTS Recaps maybe??, does anyone know??!!.

Comment by Martin – June 27, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see HAPPY ENDINGS on the schedule. I discovered it late and watched all 12 episodes in a single weekend. Very talented cast and whip-smart writing. Hope it gets solid network support and finds an audience.

Comment by JJ – June 27, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s an awesome show!!

Comment by Cindy – June 27, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! I started watching that show from the very beginning, and I can honestly say I was really upset that its season finale came so early. REALLY looking forward to its return!

Comment by Amy – June 30, 2011 03:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and The River? Mid-season too?

Comment by anntistatic – June 27, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family gets a one hour premiere? Yay!
    I’ll be watching Pan-Am, Suburgatory, and possibly Once Upon a Time, as far as new shows go. Hope they’re good!
    Glad to see everything is premiering by the end of October unlike a certain other network *glares at fox*

Comment by Alex – June 27, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lets see there are probably 3 or 4 shows not returning that have to be better than Charlies Angels,Suburgatory, Man Up and Last Man standing. Would be nice to get rid of DWTS but as long as people keep watchung….

Comment by Boiler – June 27, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Cougar Town?? It’s supposed to be coming back in NOVEMBER, which is the fall!

Comment by Sivat – June 27, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, if history shows us anything, the DWTS finale airs on the final Tuesday of November (during sweeps), so I’d pencil in COUGAR TOWN for the first Tuesday of December.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 27, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, if DWTS stays true to form it will wrap up on 11/22, leaving 11/29 free for Cougar Town and Apt. 23 to premiere.

Comment by abc123 – June 27, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yep, good call, since November sweeps ends the next day (11/23).

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 27, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW – looks like I’m down to two ABC shows — Body of Proof and Modern Family. Talk about a network which has nothing to offer. Everything worth watching is on cable — the tide has finally swung.

Comment by Ellen – June 27, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’ve got to watch Castle! If you like Body of Proof you’ll like Castle too! Trust me it’s funny, smart, and it’s a cop show!

Comment by Christine – June 27, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Watch Castle, one of the best show on tv right now!

Comment by Girish – June 27, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Give Happy Endings a chance too. It’s very much a competent sitcom.

Comment by Gravity – June 27, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shark Tank? Is it now gonna be midseason?

Comment by Lee – June 27, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it was just an omission; it was clearly on the upfront for Fridays @ 9pET, and nothing on this list is for that time slot.

Comment by KnownAlias – June 27, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope; pushed to midseason.
        EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION will air in two-hour blocks on Fridays at 8, starting Oct. 21.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 27, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! 84 days for Castle and counting! happy :)

Comment by tahina – June 27, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep! I was going for Sept. 12, but what is one more week at this point? I miss Nathan ;(

Comment by Lisa – June 27, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously?? OUAT october 23 ?

Comment by Eric – June 27, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Worth the wait, IMO.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 27, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • true !! but why so late?

Comment by Eric – June 27, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will give a try to Revenge only..anything prior to 9pm wont worth watching.

Comment by nitemar – June 27, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zzzzz.

Comment by Jason – June 27, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised that ABC is putting CHARLIE’S ANGELS in that early Thursday time slot. It’s one of the most competitive periods on the schedule with BIG BANG, VAMPIRE DIARIES, X-FACTOR, and COMMUNITY/PARKS.

Comment by JJ – June 27, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Community & Parks & Recreation competition? LMAOOOO! Big Bang Theory has gotten weaker moving into an earlier timeslot.

Charlie’s Angels will kill all those shows for the premiere.

Comment by chris – June 27, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree JJ, 87 days left before the premiere of ANGELS.

Comment by Kevin – June 27, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol, I couldn’t stop smiling when I saw Claire (Modern Family) in pigtails!! Best pic ever on tvline!!
    Castle, Modern Family are a must watch and I’m excited for Revenge, Once Upon A Time and Charlie’s Angels.

Comment by Girish – June 27, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is among the best photos ever taken of anything.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 27, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Definitely! Great choice Matt!

Comment by Girish – June 29, 2011 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing i like on this list is Castle. CASKETT FTW ♥

Comment by Sophia – June 27, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie’s Angel FTW I hope its ABC next hit show, it really looks good and looks like it can be kick a s s. I am so glad ABC was smart and brought back Body Of Proof, Best show ABC has so far. I hope Desperate Housewives can take down The Good Wife, I’ll to see DH for at least two more years. I also hope Private Practice comes back this year with better ratings I need more years of this show and last but not least Happy Endings I am hoping moving it behind Modern Family will boost its rating hopefully to at least 7 or 8 million.

Comment by fernando – June 27, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are obviously addicted to soap operas. Stick to daytime.

Comment by Jane – June 28, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very glad for the vote of confidence for The Middle with an hour long premiere. What a great and hilarious show! Maybe now it will get the recognition it deserves.

Comment by Amy – June 27, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey’s and Castle is the only ones that gets me watching. Maybe Private Practice too. And I might actually be pursuaded to watch Once upon a time. If the reviews are good.

Comment by Sa – June 27, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when will CBS’s shedule be out? or I missed it?

Comment by nakedheat2356 – June 27, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t know when CBS schedule comes out as does NBC. I really want to see CBS be number one no more.

Comment by Kevin – June 27, 2011 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks ABC fir 2 extra hours each week I was watching 5 hours a week last season and will be down to 3 this year. I was watching 9 hours a week 2 years ago and I’m in the desired demo!

Comment by CJ – June 27, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHARLIE’S ANGELS and PAN AM are two series I’m always excited to watch. Don’t know how NBC and CBS going to hold up for their primetime dates to unveil in the fall.

Comment by Kevin – June 27, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? They aren’t supersizing “Castle”? That’s the only ABC show worth supersizing!

Comment by Kat – June 27, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 75 days till castle? oh how hard this will be to bear.

Comment by TJCrinc – July 6, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • everyone else hot for castle yet?

Comment by TJCrinc – September 15, 2011 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously can’t believe that “mr. Sunshine” isn’t getting another season.

Comment by Sadnmad – September 21, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so upset Better with you is not coming back, I just googled it to see when it will start only to find it has been axed. I would laugh through out the whole show, second to Modern Family

Comment by sandra – September 29, 2011 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post