Fall TV: ABC Sets Premiere Dates, Including Supersized Grey's Anatomy and Modern Family

ABC is the third network (following The CW and Fox) to unveil its detailed premiere plan for the fall TV season, and it features five “supersized” openers, including a double dose of Grey’s Anatomy and hour-long helpings of both The Middle (as we first reported) and Modern Family.

Fall TV Preview: TVLine’s Guide to What’s New

Remember, Cougar Town arrives midseason (now airing Tuesday at 9/8c, after the fall cycle of DWTS). Also on hold for later premieres are Shark Tank and the brand-new series Apartment 23 (to air Tuesdays after Cougar Town), Good Christian BellesMissingThe RiverScandal (from Grey’s creator Shonda Rhimes) and Work It. All told, the Alphabet network’s fall game plan looks like this

Friday, September 16
10 pm 20/20

Monday, September 19
8 pm  Dancing with the Stars
10 pm Castle

Tuesday, September 20
9 pm Dancing with the Stars Results Show
10 pm Body of Proof

Fall 2011 TV Grid: Where Did Your Favorite Shows Land?

Wednesday, September 21
8 pm The Middle (one-hour premiere)
9 pm  Modern Family (one-hour premiere)
10 pm Revenge [new series]

Grey’s Exclusive: Ellen Pompeo Weighs In on Mer-Der Fight: ‘He Needs To Get Over It, Quick’

Thursday, September 22
8 pm Charlie’s Angels [new series]
9 pm Grey’s Anatomy (two-hour premiere)

Sunday, September 25
7 pm Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (two-hour premiere, then one hour for the following three Sundays)
9 pm Desperate Housewives
10 pm Pan Am [new series]

Fall TV Recast Report: Happy Endings‘ Damon Wayans Will (Briefly) Live with Fox’s New Girl

Wednesday, September 28
8:30 pm Suburgatory [new series]
9:30 pm Happy Endings

Thursday, September 29
10 pm Private Practice

Shonda Rhimes Talks Private Practice Finale: What Addison Did Will Bite Her In the Butt

Sunday, October 2
7 pm America’s Funniest Home Videos

Tuesday, October 11
8 pm Last Man Standing (one-hour premiere) [new series]

Tuesday, October 18
8:30 pm Man Up! [new series]

Friday, October 21
8 pm Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (Friday time period premiere; always two hours)

Sunday, October 23
8 pm Once Upon a Time [new series]

NOT RETURNING FOR ABC: Better With You, Brothers & SistersDetroit 1-8-7Mr. Sunshine,My GenerationNo Ordinary FamilyOff the MapThe Whole Truth and V.

1. Sam says:

I can’t decide if I want Revenge to do well or not. On one hand, it has Connor Paolo and Emily Vankamp, but on the other I want Eric back on Gossip Girl. It’s like Sophie’s Choice up in here!

• april-ann says:

Let’s hope it does well. Connor Paolo was egregiously underused on GG anyway, so it’s their loss.

• A says:

it’s a really fantastic pilot, give it a chance! :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

REVENGE has a lot of frothy, soapy potential. And Connor gets, like, lines of dialogue and everything!

• april-ann says:

That, and his own storyline, too?? lol – I sure hope so! Frothy and soapy, I’ll take it! I’m still waiting (too patiently) for Dallas 2.0, thought it would be Dirty Sexy Money. They’ll deliver a great show with talent in spades, then just when we’re totally hooked………oh well, that’s ABC for ya.

2. Paul says:

Besides Castle that list is dull, dull, dull.

3. jen says:

why don’t i see Cougar Town listed? when does that return??

4. Brooke says:

Cougar Town??

5. Bookerguy says:

Cougar Town = Mid-season.

• Tracy says:

Boo to Cougar Town’s midseason return. At what point will ABC learn that they don’t do well with delaying the return of their shows? Even Lost took a hit in the ratings when they moved to the format of having it come back only in January.

• kris says:

Wrong. Lost gained viewers the first season they moved to the delayed January premiere. Also, the first half of season 5 made headway, but the show dragged and then they lost viewers. A full year and half later. Nice try though.

6. chris says:

Glad Revenge will get good lead-in support its first week!!! :)

7. Martin says:

What is gonna be in the Tuesdays at 8/7c timeslot until October 11th, DWTS Recaps maybe??, does anyone know??!!.

8. JJ says:

Glad to see HAPPY ENDINGS on the schedule. I discovered it late and watched all 12 episodes in a single weekend. Very talented cast and whip-smart writing. Hope it gets solid network support and finds an audience.

9. anntistatic says:

and The River? Mid-season too?

10. Alex says:

Modern Family gets a one hour premiere? Yay!
    I’ll be watching Pan-Am, Suburgatory, and possibly Once Upon a Time, as far as new shows go. Hope they’re good!
    Glad to see everything is premiering by the end of October unlike a certain other network *glares at fox*

11. Boiler says:

Lets see there are probably 3 or 4 shows not returning that have to be better than Charlies Angels,Suburgatory, Man Up and Last Man standing. Would be nice to get rid of DWTS but as long as people keep watchung….

12. Sivat says:

Where is Cougar Town?? It’s supposed to be coming back in NOVEMBER, which is the fall!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Well, if history shows us anything, the DWTS finale airs on the final Tuesday of November (during sweeps), so I’d pencil in COUGAR TOWN for the first Tuesday of December.

13. Ellen says:

WOW – looks like I’m down to two ABC shows — Body of Proof and Modern Family. Talk about a network which has nothing to offer. Everything worth watching is on cable — the tide has finally swung.

14. Lee says:

Shark Tank? Is it now gonna be midseason?

• KnownAlias says:

I think it was just an omission; it was clearly on the upfront for Fridays @ 9pET, and nothing on this list is for that time slot.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nope; pushed to midseason.
        EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION will air in two-hour blocks on Fridays at 8, starting Oct. 21.

15. tahina says:

Yay! 84 days for Castle and counting! happy :)

16. Eric says:

seriously?? OUAT october 23 ?

17. nitemar says:

Will give a try to Revenge only..anything prior to 9pm wont worth watching.

18. Jason says:

Zzzzz.

19. JJ says:

Surprised that ABC is putting CHARLIE’S ANGELS in that early Thursday time slot. It’s one of the most competitive periods on the schedule with BIG BANG, VAMPIRE DIARIES, X-FACTOR, and COMMUNITY/PARKS.

• chris says:

Community & Parks & Recreation competition? LMAOOOO! Big Bang Theory has gotten weaker moving into an earlier timeslot.

Charlie’s Angels will kill all those shows for the premiere.

• Kevin says:

I agree JJ, 87 days left before the premiere of ANGELS.

20. Girish says:

Lol, I couldn’t stop smiling when I saw Claire (Modern Family) in pigtails!! Best pic ever on tvline!!
    Castle, Modern Family are a must watch and I’m excited for Revenge, Once Upon A Time and Charlie’s Angels.

21. Sophia says:

The only thing i like on this list is Castle. CASKETT FTW ♥

22. fernando says:

Charlie’s Angel FTW I hope its ABC next hit show, it really looks good and looks like it can be kick a s s. I am so glad ABC was smart and brought back Body Of Proof, Best show ABC has so far. I hope Desperate Housewives can take down The Good Wife, I’ll to see DH for at least two more years. I also hope Private Practice comes back this year with better ratings I need more years of this show and last but not least Happy Endings I am hoping moving it behind Modern Family will boost its rating hopefully to at least 7 or 8 million.

23. Amy says:

I am very glad for the vote of confidence for The Middle with an hour long premiere. What a great and hilarious show! Maybe now it will get the recognition it deserves.

24. Sa says:

Grey’s and Castle is the only ones that gets me watching. Maybe Private Practice too. And I might actually be pursuaded to watch Once upon a time. If the reviews are good.

25. nakedheat2356 says:

when will CBS’s shedule be out? or I missed it?

26. CJ says:

Thanks ABC fir 2 extra hours each week I was watching 5 hours a week last season and will be down to 3 this year. I was watching 9 hours a week 2 years ago and I’m in the desired demo!

27. Kevin says:

CHARLIE’S ANGELS and PAN AM are two series I’m always excited to watch. Don’t know how NBC and CBS going to hold up for their primetime dates to unveil in the fall.

28. Kat says:

What? They aren’t supersizing “Castle”? That’s the only ABC show worth supersizing!

29. TJCrinc says:

75 days till castle? oh how hard this will be to bear.

30. Sadnmad says:

Seriously can’t believe that “mr. Sunshine” isn’t getting another season.

31. sandra says:

I am so upset Better with you is not coming back, I just googled it to see when it will start only to find it has been axed. I would laugh through out the whole show, second to Modern Family