Premiere Ratings: FX's Wilfred Digs Up Record Numbers, Plus Burn Notice, Rookie Blue

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

There are no fleas on Wilfred. FX’s adaptation of the Aussie series debuted Thursday night to 2.6 million total viewers, 1.2 mil of which landed in the coveted 18-49 demo. That makes it the best comedy series launch in FX history.

Leading out of Wilfred, the season premiere of Louie drew 1.6 million total viewers/1 mil in the 18-49 demo, representing a 47 percent increase over the show’s freshman opener.

Among other Thursday fare:

* ABC’s Expedition Impossible took 7.1 million viewers along for its maiden ride, while scoring a 2.3 demo rating. That’s on par with what Rookie Blue did in the same Thursdays-at-9 time slot a year ago.

* Speaking of Rookie Blue, its second season premiered to 5.9 mil (its best audience since mid-August of last summer) and grabbed a time slot-winning 1.6 rating.

* Over on USA Network, Burn Notice returned to an audience of 5.2 million, down from its June 2010 premiere (6.6 mil) but up 20 percent from the midseason opener that aired last November. The cabler’s spiffy new Suits in turn delivered 4.64 mil and a 1.6 demo rating, improving on Fairly Legal‘s Thursdays-at-10 numbers by some 47 percent.

* NBC’s Love Bites bit it, again, dropping double digits in both audience (to 2 mil) and in the demo (0.8).

Comments (34)

• I wonder if those numbers will continue to be as good next week.

Comment by V – June 24, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, they’ll drop. It was awful. The pooping in the shoes was the only funny bit, unless you watch it totally stoned, then it was probably funny.

Comment by KevyB – June 24, 2011 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watched it totally stoned, still not funny…

Comment by Nick – June 25, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • mustn’t have been very good gear then

Comment by damian – June 26, 2011 01:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • actually, the whole thing was hilarious. you have to have aspergers or whatever to possibly not laugh at this show every 2 seconds

Comment by Ben – June 26, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, you have to laugh at stuff that is either not funny, or stuff that has been done a million times already. Oh, he dug a hole HAHAHAHA! Oh, he’s mad about a ball TEEHEEHEE! Oh, he kissed the Hobbit, HEEHEEEEEEEHEEEEEEE! I laughed ONCE, at the boot-crapping, and that was just a chuckle.

Comment by KevyB – June 27, 2011 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I watched the original Aussie version, and it was funny for about two episodes until you realized it was a one-trick pony and that all episodes are variations of a rather simple-minded theme.

P.S. Even someone with Asperger’s Syndrome could detect that. Pity you can’t.

Comment by filmex – June 28, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOVED It!…it was werid and funny.it reminded me of FRANK and Donnie from Donnie Darko…cool show and who ever is playing the dog is great.

Comment by NickC – June 25, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, man! I forgot to watch it! Was it good?

Comment by Amber – June 24, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it. Fingers crossed the ratings stay high!

Comment by Will – June 24, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Loved it. Great show, keep em coming.

Comment by Jezeus – June 24, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is Elijah Wood a series regular for this show because he did a spectacular job!

Comment by Cam – June 24, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you kidding? He’s the lead.

Comment by Duh – June 24, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • no, Imbd had him on the show for 5 episodes while Wilfred and his owner were on for 13.

Comment by Cam – June 24, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yea and everything said on imdb has always checked out. right.

Comment by qwerty – June 24, 2011 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it. Even though there were places where I was like “wtf mate?”, I think it was amazing. I hope the have high hopes for the show.

Comment by bfmgzax – June 24, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Got so so reviews but I thought it was decent. Not your normal premise. I thought it was sufficiently (and I don’t like using this word) quirky to continue watching the series.

Comment by Matt – June 24, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just curious are you american?

Comment by Reece – June 24, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant new comedy. Love the writing, so clever. This is going to be a HUGE success!

Comment by tamiwami – June 24, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funnier in Australia, get away with alot more lol

Comment by Brett – June 24, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wilfred is THE ONLY TV Series EVER that I have watched and WiSHED I could appear in it – even as an EXTRA!

EVEN AS THE EXTRA ‘extra’ DOG IN THE ‘DOGSTAR’ episode in Series 2.

Oh, YES, America, WILFRED is a gem!

I want my Biach to have WILFRED’s puppies!

Comment by John Conlan (Australia) – June 24, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hilarious. I just want to dress up like a dog, find some cute girl to adopt me, and jump 30 feet in the air to catch a frisbee

Comment by mike daily – June 24, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Rookie Blue & Suits. They will remain on my DVR to save lists.

Comment by Kristy – June 24, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think BN’s numbers will increase when they factor in DVR’s. I DVR’d it and watched it after work. Fantastic start to this season! Can’t wait to see where they go.

Comment by Jenn – June 24, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked the premiere for Burn Notice, but it was weird in that it could also have served as a series finale. Put this episode after the last season finale, and it kind of “wraps up” the major storyline and ends with…”what will he do now?”

Comment by darclyte – June 25, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I felt the same way the entire time. I really thought that it should have been the finale and this premiere would have started with the “now what” stuff, or that this season should be Michael going after everyone, instead of it being in the past with one left to go. But… we’ll see how it plays out. Really hope the numbers get back up to the 6 mil mark!

Comment by Luke – June 25, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A great first outing. Haven’t seen the Aussie version, but anything that takes the stink off of Louie is a hit in my book.

Comment by ra_runkle – June 24, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now THERE’S a perfect example of whether you will like Wilfred or not. If you don’t get Louie, then this imbecilic crap will be HILARIOUS! If you are one of the many that has realized Louie is the best comedian out there, Wilfred will seem like fresh dog vomit.

Comment by KevyB – June 27, 2011 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was pretty awful. I’m not sure what I was expecting from a show about a guy talking to a dog. I supposed I wanted something quirky, with at least a character to like. But Elijah Wood is pretty awful and not believable in this role at all. I may be in the minority, but I found it very disappointing.

Comment by Justin – June 24, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did laugh while watching it, but there’s something off about it. It’s very misogynistic and dark–I’m all for a dark comedy, mind, but this was dark in an unpleasant way. Probably because the character of Wilfred is really unlikable.
    I’ve never seen the Australian version, I don’t know what it’s like, so I can’t compare. But this seems like a highly masculine fantasy world come to life, which kind of abuses the idea of dog-as-human. Who hasn’t given their dog a human voice and wondered what they’d be like if they could talk? Wilfred certainly isn’t how I think most dogs would come out.

I’ll give it a couple more goes, but even Elijah Wood’s sympathetic character may not be enough to make this watchable or even likable.

Comment by redreh – June 25, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who found it awful.

Comment by V – June 25, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I really really loved Suits and am glad it did well and will definitely be watching again next week! A much better “legal drama” than Fairly Legal. Though I do prefer its original title, “A Legal Mind”.

Comment by Alex – June 25, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I DVR’s “Wilfred”, even though it didn’t look that great to me, just because Elijah Wood was in it. I found it to be hilarious.

Comment by side3 – June 27, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And of course Louie was great…. probably wouldn’t appeal to the 20-30 year olds who are not that far along in their life but for those of us who are older or in the middle of a similar situation, it was spot on… Gads…. what a sister….

Comment by Doug-H – June 27, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post