Exclusive: The Good Wife Retains Lisa Edelstein!

Turns out Lisa Edelstein will be back on TV this fall after all!

House‘s departing taskmistress has booked a juicy multi-episode arc on CBS’ The Good Wife, sources confirm to TVLine exclusively.

The actress — who sent House fans into a tailspin last month when it was announced that she would not be returning to the Fox hit after failing to come to terms on a new contract — will play a lawyer and born poker player whose sexiness is enhanced by her obvious intelligence.

Additional details are scarce, but rumor has it Edelstein’s character — who turns up during the early part of the acclaimed drama’s forthcoming third season — shares a past with Will (Josh Charles). It’s unclear if said past is professional, personal, or both, but I smell a showdown between her and Alicia (Julianna Margulies).

Thoughts? Happy to see Edelstein land on her feet? Does this Good news at least partially offset the bad news of her House departure? Hit the comments!

Want scoop and spoilers 24/7? Follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Comments (319)

• yes yes yes lisa deserves

Comment by joana – June 23, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news!!!!!!!!!!! I haven’t seen The Good Wife yet but I’ll have to catch up over the summer. I am so happy Lisa will be back my TV so soon!!!!!

Comment by Sam – June 23, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She better enjoy these ‘multi-episode arcs’, as I’m not sure another show will invest in her for a regular gig. When you walk out on a show that loved you, leaving at the peak of a story focused on your character – well, it is a bit like a lawyer quitting on his client mid-trial.

Comment by John – June 23, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, because you have to work for someone no matter what salary they propose. If fox was so concerned, they should have made a decent offer.
      And no one HAVE TO do anything once the contract expire. If your contract say you have to work for 1 year, that’s all you owe them. And other actors found job after they decided not to renew there contract. Ever heard of David Caruso?

Comment by Aurore – June 23, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s be fair here. Lisa has supported that show more than any actor on their staff. She even promoted it every summer during their hiatus. No one else did that. She always, always praised it and the writers. Talked about how much she loved her job. Her character was part of the famous OT3 on the show, the only woman. She did everything she was supposed to. The ratings started falling and NBCU/Fox decide they need to make cuts. So they want the actors, who’ve done nothing to cause the drop in numbers to take the cut in pay. The choices made by those in charge of House are why the show loses fans. That’s not any of the actor’s fault. But the people who had no say in those decisions had to take the lowered sallary. Lisa was, along with Hugh and Robert, one of their best assets. The company lowball her. Give Robert the money and let her go. It’s not her fault the company did what they did. Robert refused to take a cut, if they hadn’t given him what he wanted he would’ve walked. He doesn’t want to be there, he’s made that clear. He’s there for the money only.

Comment by Hallie – June 23, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • well said, hallie! I’m looking forward to other shows snagging Lisa E after this arc, unless TGW gives her a contract role *here’s hoping* Any show would be LUCKY to have such loyal support from its actors.

And I’m actually THRILLED that she didn’t take a pay cut. Why should she if Robert didn’t have to. I’m glad she decided that she was worth more.

Comment by lipsticksocialism – June 26, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HL is the best (not one of the best) asset of House. LE promoted herself and fostered the HUDDY/HULI disgrace. Eventually she hurt HouseMD.

Hopefully TGW will not be negatively influenced.

Comment by maria-eleni – June 30, 2011 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! Thanks for the good news, Mike..Yea, make her a regular, please..Mike please interview Lisa, and pronto!!

Congratulations Chica!

Comment by tahina – June 23, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like her as an actress, I gave up on HOUSE a few years ago and THE GOOD WIFE IS my favorite show, so this is a very good thing and a brilliant idea for her to do this, quickly jump into a great crafted/written show and show us more than just Cuddy!

Comment by conor O'Brien – June 23, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think she will be fabulous! TGW is the perfect fit for her. There is no way she doesn’t have a “personal past” with Will Gardner. A showdown between her and Alicia is almost exciting as the prospect of a showdown between Tammy 1 and Tammy 2 on Parks and Rec!

Comment by Amy – June 23, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t breathe! This the best news ever! My Queen is back!

Comment by Kaarina – June 23, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELL YEAH!!!!

Comment by bella – June 23, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll have to spend the summer catching up. I don’t watch the show, but I’ll be interested to see Lisa Edelstein. It’s sad for House since this means they truly did blow it with negotiations and there’s no way to correct the problem or go back to her with a new plan. Guess they have to lie in that bed now. She wasn’t what made House, but they wrote last season so poorly they destroyed House the character and their “metaphorical” cliffhanger really needed her to resolve. Unbelievable how they lost their way!

Good for Lisa! She will do well.

Comment by Lucy – June 23, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shares a past with Josh Charles? Well, yes, Bobbi Bernstein. Remember that night in the Hotel d’Espana?

Comment by Anna Lawrence – June 23, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know, I’m glad LE’s got another gig, but I can’t say I’m a huge fan. But I am a huge fan of TGW and they’ve always done a great job with incorporating the guest actors into their world – it’ll be interesting to see what they do.

Comment by Eurydice – June 23, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m not looking the good wife,
    but will now LE wil be on it !
    Here in the Netherlands is it on tv, so there I’m happy about.
    sorry for my bad english!

xx

Comment by kelly – June 23, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My two favorite actresses Julianna and Lisa in my favorite show? It can not get better than this!

Comment by sietsx – June 23, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooh, I wonder if she’ll be Will’s ex-girlfriend (can’t remember her name, the sportscaster) older sister, the one that he dated in college after Alicia?

Comment by sonja – June 23, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooh you are so right. Good call.

Comment by Sera – June 24, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this point it’s an upgrade for Edelstein! Good for her!

She’s very talented, and TGW is solid writing right now so it will be good all around. Too bad House lost their way, but Hooray for her!

Comment by Luc – June 23, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could be a shrewd more by the producers of TGW because Lisa Edelstein will bring with her a much younger fanbase.

We’ll see whether it’s a good move on Edelstein’s part. On one hand, it’s to her success that she got another role right away after leaving House. On the other, Christine Baranski, Julianna Margulies and even Archie Panjabi are much better actresses and this may really show up her limitations.

Comment by Pat – June 23, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or finally provide a chance for her to show the depth and that she runs with the big dogs.

Comment by Luc – June 23, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is been working with Hugh Laurie for the past 7 seasons. He is not exactly a bad actor, is he?

Comment by Deos – June 24, 2011 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news ever!!! The Good Wife is an amazing show and I love to see Lisa in it. Can you just imagine? Juliana and Lisa together! It’s gonna be epic, although I’m gonna miss Cuddy so much this year…not looking good for House right about now…

Comment by Laura – June 23, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HouseonFox will start to feel her loss. Too bad they didn’t fight harder for her. She will excel. Excited for her!

Comment by Luc – June 23, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really really happy for Lisa Edelstein.. She is a great actress.. I will miss her on House.. Gotta move on .. I never watched the “Good Wife” Maybe I will start…Yeahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kris – June 23, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh gosh, no, please no! I love this show! Now the insane fangirls will follow her *facepalm*

Comment by NNOOOOOOOOOO – June 23, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hadn’t thought about this… you’re right… oh no… I’m still excited about this though, I’m a huge fan of Lisa. I’m not sure if she will be able to keep up with the likes of Julianna, Christine and Archie, but I’m pretty sure the writers will do something great. If there’s anyone or anything in this world I always trust, is The Good Wife and its writers.

ANd I’m sure Lisa will do an amazing job with the amazing material I’m sure she will get. She did great with the poor material she got at House, so I think we will finally be able to really see her talent with this.

Comment by Roma – June 23, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My feelings exactly. Dammit. Nothing against LE, she’s really talented, but I’m going to need to stay far away from the internet if I want to enjoy her on TGW.

Comment by Finn – June 23, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t worry guys. Do you really think the topic starter “NNOOOOOOOOOO” watches TGW? That was a lame attempt to stir TGW fans against Lisa. Don’t feed the trolls, and it will be fine.

Comment by Sandy – June 23, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA. Now her crazy fans will take over message boards and demand that she get an Emmy and start bashing Julianna all the time. Ugh!

Comment by anna – June 23, 2011 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You wish, sweetie. No, her “crazy fans” will be enjoying the show and hope that you, Hams, will finally leave us alone.

Comment by San – June 23, 2011 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Erm…I think it’s the other way around. Whenever someone expresses their dislike or indifference to LE the LE/Cuddy/Huddy/Huli (blech) fangirls always assume that it’s a Jennifer Morrison/Cameron/House/Cam fan talking even though most of the time they didn’t even mention Jennifer/Cameron to begin with! I hope someday the (crazy/obsessive) LE fans will learn to get over their irrational hatred of Jennifer Morrison/Cameron and stop bad mouthing her and her fans! If you lurve LE good for you! Kindly leave others to their own preferences and opinions!

Oh, and some friendly advice; the Huddy fans are pretty much known as the worst/rudest/ most childish part of the House fandom and comments such as yours only perpetuate that opinion. Do yourselves a favor and support LE without having to bring down others and making yourself and the actress you love look bad. Peace.

Comment by Teresa – June 24, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sorry, not true. Most of the LE supporters couldn’t care less about Jennifer Morrison. She is not interesting enough for them to care, to be honest. It’s a a very limited group of JMo obsessive fans (or rather fans of her character on House) who have been infiltrating boards and stirring the pot. Every single LE bashing thread starts with the same comments, strangely similar in grammar, style and message of blind hate.

I seriously hope that JMo’s new show stays on air for a while, so her fangirls can take their bitterness someplace else and won’t invade nice and respectful fandom of TWG. If it won’t happen, then we’ll take measures, rest assured.

Comment by klizma – June 24, 2011 12:18 PM PDT
          • paranoid

Comment by anonymous – June 25, 2011 10:27 PM PDT
  • She must be so thrilled to finally be part of a good show.

Comment by Micha – June 23, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sounds good. I think Edelstein had taken the Cuddy character about as far as it could go. It was the right call to move on.

But, I warn you, if Alicia crashes her car into any property owned by Edelstein’s character I’m done with The Good Wife! Let’s hope The Good Wife writers make better use of Edelstein.

Comment by Tom – June 23, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A very good actress on a very good show! Good for her, and for us!

I’m still sad because of what the writers did to Huddy. Honestly, couldn’t they have given House a happy ending with Cuddy? They should have ended the show like that this season, with them bickering but still loving each other. Now it won’t ever happen…

Comment by Liz – June 23, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • J’suis trop contente !! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ .

Comment by Pitchousse – June 23, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’m going to throw up
    C’mon TGW is too good and intelligent for her

Comment by TGWFan – June 23, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most importantly, TGW is too intelligent for you. Try better next time.

Comment by Mem – June 23, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol hameron. Try again next time. It didn´t work here.

Comment by Lena – June 24, 2011 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazeballs! I’m so glad Lisa e will be back where she belongs! On prime time tv!

Comment by Sinead – June 23, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel sorry for TGW fandom and producers, good luck guys, you’ll need it!

Comment by jade – June 23, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping she would end up as the new captain on Castle.

Comment by Alex – June 23, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m okay with this. Just don’t make her an enemy of Alicia’s. She has enough of those. Now that Kalinda’s gone, what she needs is a friend. I bet she’d make a good divorce attorney for Alicia, if it ever comes to that.

Comment by DrewH – June 23, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She already has a divorce lawyer, David Lee. Just saying.

Comment by Alli – June 23, 2011 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Incredible news!! TGW has become my second favorite TV show, after House of course. I’m glad Lisa was able to secure a role in one of the best TV series we have right now, she deserves it, and will surely be missed in House.

Comment by maria – June 23, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just gotta say, that this comment rocks. Manages to voice appreciation for LE’s acting without bashing House in the process. A rarity around here.

Comment by Katie – June 25, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting…. They also shared a past on the great Sports Night.

Comment by Midori – June 23, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the Good Wife but not really a Lisa fan (didn’t she used to be on Felicity?).

But if anyone can make her appealing to me it would be the good Wife.

Comment by Jeri – June 23, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that Josh Charles and Lisa Edelstein get to “have a past” again! Her recurring role on Sports Night as a college one night stand from his past were hilarious!

Comment by Brth – June 23, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is fantastic news! I’m so happy Lisa Edelstein has landed an arc on a quality show. I haven’t watched The Good Wife since the S1 finale so I’ve got a lot of catching up to do lol.

I too have “moved on”.

Comment by Jane2 – June 23, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was quick! I wasn’t a fan of House these past couple of seasons, but I could definitely see Lisa fitting right in on TGW. But please don’t ruin the Will and Alicia so soon!

Comment by em – June 23, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like TGW and thats cool but I wanted her back on House! ARG!!!

Comment by Jaded – June 23, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wanted her back on House too. But that’s in NBCU/Fox’s hands. Until then, I’ll support her in any show she gets a role in. Maybe someday they’ll wise up. I’m glad that she got this.

Comment by Hallie – June 23, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST NEWS OF THE WHOLE SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can be happy again after the HOUSE fiasco!
    I absolutely love TheGoodWife and Lisa will fit perfectly and shine :)
    cannot wait!

Comment by JOY – June 23, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping Castle would pick her up for the new Captain, but this works too. Still, Edelstein, Fillion, and Katic? I still wonder about what might have been.

Comment by Spike – June 23, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited! Make her a regular!

This does make me feel a lot better! Honestly I was getting fed up with House and probably wouldn’t have watched next season anyway. Lisa leaving House will just make it a lot easier to leave House behind.

Comment by JB – June 23, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gosh, please no. I don’t want anyone to stand in Alicia and Will’s way. Plus I can’t stand Edelstein. I just really dislike her, but that’s not the problem. As long as she doesn’t mess with Alicia, I’m okay with it. Please, just don’t let her get into Will’s pants. Please.

Comment by Giovy – June 23, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lisaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yes yes

Comment by nena – June 23, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know right? Today is a good day. :D

Comment by Hallie – June 23, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wowowoowowowowoowowowooww best news ever!!!!! I´ll start watching The Good Wife just to see Lisa rock my tv again. Congratulations lady. And btw ignore negative comments. They come from Jennifer Morrison fans who can´t stand the fact that you got an amazing role so fast.

Comment by Pedro – June 23, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t know about this , I am kind of freaking out on the news , I was deeply hoping Lisa would return to House , as a regular or guest star , I have some problems concerning The Good Wife , which I consider more of a shipping show than a court drama , but then House is also one , but at least , the main characters ( House and Cuddy ) had a well written history with each other and there was real chemistry between the actors . The Good Wife , on the other hand , the relationships / hook ups seems forced , more for the ratings than anything . I have not watched the series , nor do I attend to , even with Lisa on board .

Comment by Tracy Murray – June 23, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you haven’t watched the show how can you judge its characters and their relationships with each other? There’s nothing forced about The Good Wife. NOTHING. When you say “at least , the main characters ( House and Cuddy ) had a well written history with each other and there was real chemistry between the actors” I realize that you truly have no idea of what you’re saying. Every single character on The Good Wife has a perfectly developed background, and each relationship has a perfectly written premise. And don’t even get me started on the actors chemistry, cause they all have a chemistry you can feel through the screen, and that’s part of why the audience feels so connected to each and every single one of these characters. These are the best group of actors a TV show could ask for. They are like the Meryl Streep of the TV world.

The Good Wife is one of the most flawlessly written shows right now. It is definitely the single one best show on network TV. I love House. It used to be my favorite show (until The Good Wife came along). But even in its best time, the writing on House didn’t hold a candle to the one on The Good Wife. And now that House is basically a joke of TV writing there aren’t even words for me to explain how superior The Good Wife is.

Comment by Roma – June 24, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited for this! I’m kinda hoping that there won’t really be a showdown, but either way, TGW is my favorite show and I love Lisa Edelstein. Really smart move, TPB!

Also, *insert comment about House sucking here*. Can’t be bothered to come up with one, even though the intention is still there.

Comment by Rania – June 23, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news! She’s a great actress and will do well. Too bad for House.

Comment by Stan – June 23, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Todos tem direito a dar uma opinião, mas o que eu como fã da LisaEdelstein espero é que a RESPEITEM ela é uma atriz excelente se não fosse assim ela não viveria da profissão por tantos anos
    Não gosto de TGW, mas pela Lisa eu vou assistir e aplaudirei de pé

Comment by BETEDELSTEIN – June 23, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! I’M SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!! LISA WILL BE GREAT IN TGW :D:D

Comment by niki – June 23, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell YES!!! Welcome back Lisa!!!! Can we make her a regular??? She outgrew House anyways…

Comment by Babygate – June 23, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She must finish in the series that launched to stardom!People do not forgive to leave House!

Comment by fontana – June 23, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news that I have gotten in a long time!!! I didn’t think TGW could get any more fantastic but it just did.

Comment by Reanne – June 23, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She didn’t get to.keep her salary so she quit to do guest starring role on a show with low ratings that will probably get canceled anyway and isn’t offering no where near what she made on house. Sorry but actors so don’t deserve al that money. She’s a greedy bitch who stuck it to those house producers as well as all you crazy ass Huddy fans who are borderline pyschotic!

Comment by alex – June 23, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ummmm talk about pyschotic? *backs away slowly from this post* Wow…just wow.

Comment by Jen – June 23, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “She didn’t get to keep her salary so she quit to do guest starring role on a show with low ratings that will probably get canceled anyway and isn’t offering no where near what she made on house.”

Well, that doesn’t make any sense if she was really after getting as much money as possible, does it now? So what does that tell you? That it probably wasn’t about the money.
      So was she being greedy, or did she give up a good salary on [H] for a much lower income as a guest actress on other shows? It cannot possibly be both at the same time. Since the first thing is in fact exactly what she did, I think we can safely exclude the possibility of her being greedy ;-)

Comment by Claudia – June 24, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have her replace Julianna Margulies and the show would be watchable

Comment by Joe Jackson – June 23, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have her replace Julianna Margulies and the show will be cancelled in a week.

Comment by anna – June 23, 2011 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stop stirring the TGW fandom, Hams. You are too stupid to pull it off. Remember, karma is a bee.

Comment by LE and JM Fan – June 23, 2011 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe you should take your own advice sweetie. Karma pretty much bit you fangirls in the a** and slapped you in the face! lol

Comment by Fed Up With Huddy fangirls – June 24, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, “sweetie”. JMo’s show is this fall, have you forgotten about your favorite actress? Or maybe you just love JMo only because you hate Lisa E? In any case, tell your five other friends to get ready. You PO’d enough people to feel that bee sting. We are a patient bunch but enough is enough. Bzzzzzz.

Comment by Fed UP with Lisa E Hate – June 24, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Umm… Lisa switched from a good but old and tired Mersedes to Ferrari within a matter of week(s). You suggest we should be upset about it? OK then. If that’s what called karma, I am ready to get slapped some more. Two of my favorite actresses are on the best show on TV, and I couldn’t be happier. :)

Comment by Lex – June 24, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post