Becki Newton on Life Beyond Love Bites — and 'Harassing' Michael Urie for an Ugly Reunion!

Get More: Commentary, Interviews

As much as we dig NBC’s rom-com anthology Love Bites, it’s time to face the facts: The romance isn’t destined to last beyond summer’s end. There’s been no official announcement, of course, but ratings are anemic, and odds are slim to none that NBC will extend the show’s run past its original nine-episode order.

So what’s next on the agenda for Bites‘ charming star Becki Newton? First, she wants to get back in the game and land herself another series. And in the meantime, she has her undying devotion to former Ugly Betty costar Michael Urie to keep her occupied.

“Michael Urie and I harass each other via text all the time,” Newton says with a laugh. Sadly, there aren’t currently any rumblings about revisiting the twosome’s ah-mazing 2010 cabaret act, but the bubbly star does offer this tidbit: “Michael and I need to tackle some sort of performance art in the future. I’m not sure what it is, but we will be reteaming for the rest of our lives on various projects.” Win!

Now, about that other plan… “I’ve discovered my love of sitcoms,” Newton tells TVLine. “There’s nothing specific lined up right now, but I did a pilot for CBS [titled Home Grown] which unfortunately didn’t get picked up. I had never done a mutli-cam show before, and I absolutely loved it.”

Translation: “The next step will be to play a sassy role on a multi-cam show!”

Newton says that “the live audience [on Home Grown] was pretty great. It reminded me of my days back in theater. It was so much fun to tackle a scene and if it didn’t work, the writers would fly in with new lines and you’d try that.”

The TV vet also calls her sitcom experience an “incredible challenge,” though one that actually made her long to venture further into the genre. “The hardest [part on a sitcom] is continuing when a line doesn’t work, and not completely falling apart,” she laughs. “On Ugly Betty, we’d run in, do a scene and try different things — and we knew when it was funny. In a sitcom setting, I walked in with a joke that I thought was the funniest thing I’d ever heard — and heard dead silence!”

Regardless of where Newton ends up, though, she says she’s always thinking of her old Betty counterparts. “I miss them all so much,” she says. “We all get together anytime we’re in the same place. They are my family and I really love them.”

For now, you can catch Newton in Love Bites on NBC Thursdays at 10/9c.

Comments (19)

• Becki Newton is a tremendous talent. It’s a shame that “Love Bites” flamed out prior to arrival, because I can honestly see her becoming the next Kristen Bell. She has that same appeal: gorgeous and yet funny, engaging and identifiable. All she needs is the right vehicle.

Comment by Robert Taylor – June 23, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would hope not, Kristen Bell hasn’t had the greatest career after Veronica Mars. I do see a similarity, they’re both charming and sassy. They should be sisters in something, they’d play off each other really well. I’m really enjoying Love Bites, it’s very different.

Comment by Lauren – June 23, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah, too bad it’s not sticking around. i was pleasantly surprised

Comment by jj – June 24, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her and Michael! I miss “Ugly Betty!”

Comment by Brittany – June 23, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Bites is a pretty darn adorable little show; and shockingly, actually really cleverly written to boot. I like it way more than I had expected. Shame it isn’t catching on.
    Ah well, it probably would have only stayed fresh for so long, maybe it’s for the best that what we do get is all good.

Comment by Matt – June 23, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Bites is actually i pretty good show the first two episodes were ok but the 3rd and 4th episode have been way better. at first i was kind of upset Becki Newton wasnt given a much bigger role but ive gotten used to it. Hopefully she gets another lead role in another comedy soon!

Comment by Jake – June 23, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only really like the mini-stories that Becki is in. The other ones are so-so. Her on the blind date was funny.

Comment by Kaiulani – June 23, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE her! Hopefully she lands something big soon so she can gain more exposure.

Comment by Danielle H. – June 23, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Becki Newton is amazing. She is doing so great on Love Bites. Im just glad NBC is letting us see the 9 episodes it made because I really love that show.
    Ugly Betty reunion yall, come on. MOVIE!

Comment by S – June 23, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Becki Newton needs to get a fabulous new vehicle STAT. (And I never say “fabulous,” so you know I mean business.)

Plus, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ugly Betty, but let’s be honest: with the way the show ended, anything now would likely be awkward. But I would love to be proven wrong!

Comment by Dirk – June 23, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She would be great as the mother on HIMYM.

Comment by Steph – June 23, 2011 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see her in true blood…

Comment by AT – June 23, 2011 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael and Becki are soulmates. They were born to act together.

Comment by Danielle – June 24, 2011 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes, they should have just done a spin off – the mark and amanda show!

Comment by katie – July 28, 2011 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that she would be great as “the Mother” on HIMYM…. TV gods, please pick her up!!!

Comment by lmorales10 – June 24, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Becki and Michael are a hoot together, onscreen and off! Would loveeee to see an Ugly Betty reunion! The show was just hitting its stride again when ABC axed it!

Comment by Kristen – June 24, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Love Bites – and think last week was the best so far. Greg Grunberg is always great. I hope it doesn’t get cancelled – though I won’t be surprised.

Comment by D – June 24, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HUGE fan of Becki here and miss her and the gang (including Halston) from “Ugly Betty” – that was a great show and the chemistry between the whole cast was incredible…I especially enjoyed her interaction with the Suarez family. “Love Bites” is pretty good, and I agree that the episodes are improving. If NBC doesn’t renew it, I hope Becki will find a great sitcom that will really kick a-s-s…(I’m new here so don’t know what is acceptable – not that I’m a potty mouth but there are occasions…)
    Anyway, good interview – she seems to be fun in real-life, too!

Comment by Ginni – June 24, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sad that Love Bites seems to have been set up to fail. I started to watch the pilot with the expectation that it would be a “chick show” that my husband would hate. He got home from work during toward the end of the second vignette and started half paying attention to it, and eventually he was standing behind the sofa cracking up and chastising me for not waiting for him. Now it’s a show we watch together every week, and every week he asks me, “This isn’t going to get renewed?!” And this is a man who hates almost every TV show.

Comment by Erin – June 25, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post