America's Got Talent: Hendrix Meets Beethoven!

Has America’s Got Talent found its Season 6 winner? I generally watch NBC’s talent extravaganza with one eye on a basket of unfolded laundry, but on Wednesday night’s audition show, uni-monikered Elew — who says he tries to bring rock-guitar technique to the piano — stopped me mid-sock-sorting with an impressive twist on “Sweet Home Alabama.” Ch-ch-check the video, then weigh in on who impressed you from the New York City auditions!

1. Ellyn Ritterskamp says:

Elew opened for Josh Groban in Charlotte June 10, and was fantastic. He used the metal sleeves to hit the piano strings a couple of times.

2. Lisa says:

Elew was too bangy. Some of what he did was okay, but much of it was just noise. Landau Murphy, though… man, he was amazing!

• Buffy0531 says:

I agree about Landau. What an unexpected treat!

• Stephanie says:

Yep. It’s all about Landau. I liked Elew and thought it was entertaining, but he hit a LOT of sour notes and there was toooo much banging. I like that he’s different, but Landau–man, that was FABULOUS. I can’t believe you didn’t comment about him. Not only was his voice fantastic, it was a complete, delightful surprise. He had never auditioned before for anything? Great day! He was so comfortable, effortless, and I can’t imagine how a stylist and manager can take this guy. His life is never going to be the same, ever, that’s for sure.

3. Lampshade says:

I saw Elew open for Josh Groban in Raleigh two weeks ago, and I can attest to the fact that he is amazing! Last night’s audition did not do him justice at all! At the concert, he performed Mr. Brightside, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Teenage Dream, Sweet Home Alabama, Clocks and an array of other rock songs, along w/ snippets of the Peanuts theme and the theme to Young and the Restless. He was funny, amazing and thoroughly entertaining. But the really funny thing was that all through his performance in Raleigh, I kept thinking to myself, this guy should go on America’s Got Talent, lol.

• elewfan says:

I agree 100%. We saw him with Groban in Charlotte just before the Raleigh venue. At first I wasn’t too sure of his style but about 5 minutes in to his performance I thought to myself that “this guy is a genius”. He played like he had 8 fingers on each hand. I instantly became a fan. Can’t wait to see what he does in the future!

• Candy says:

I totally agree with you! I saw him open for Josh Grobin in Cincinatti and thought his array of music and talent was incredible!

4. Brenda says:

I saw Elew open for Josh in KC on May 25th. I can’t believe I saw an act from America’s Got Talent prior to seeing it on the show.

5. Teresa says:

I didn’t think it the most pleasing sound, but I loved that Elew was doing stuff with a piano that I’ve never seen before. It reminded me of the way Harpo Marx played the harp. People who trained in the instrument were always astounded by the sounds he was able to produce.

I’d love to see more of this guy. Especially after reading these comments from people who have seen him live. It sounds like he’s not just a novelty act.

6. Julia says:

I don’t watch the show, but this clip had me interested. I would have liked to have seen it. Too bad we Canadians aren’t allowed to watch clips from NBC.

7. JohnDoe says:

I must be the only one that thought he sucked. Banging on piano keys is not pleasing. 300 years of Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, and Brahms, etc. can’t be wrong.

8. Hobodeluxe says:

Ouch my ears. That was sloppy playing imo. Just because it’s loud and full of sustain to cover for the sloppy playing doesn’t make it cool.
    Yuk.

9. dave says:

Elew dropped out of America’s Got Talent due to going on tour with Josh Groban

• Diane says:

Elew was amazing. What he can do with a piano is artistic, creative and does justice to all the composers he replicated. I saw him as the opening for Josh Groban in Raleigh, NC and was amazing. Loved it and would be open minded to seeing him as a headliner! Totally impressed me. Keep it up Elew!
      Diane

10. Bob says:

Elew reminded me of jazz pianist Abdullah Ibrahim but not quite as good. I was looking forward to hearing more of him. Sorry to hear he droppped out but it’s certainly for a good reason. I thought Landau Murphy was also really good and will likely make it to the finals.

11. Yani Minovski says:

Elew was next level brilliant. Check out more of his music on You Tube and harness the POWER!

12. Delirious says:

I’m guessing American audiences don’t know Jamie Cullum, for example? That was quite bad, if you ask me. Lots of excessive showiness and incoherent noise – anyone could just approach a piano wearing armbracelets (here I was, expecting he’d actually use them for something – if he plays the piano “like a rock guitar”, I thought he’d use them on the strings), into a Dragonball stance, and smash the keys and the strings randomly.

13. Alicia says:

Unless he was playing the actual song, a lot of it was pretty displeasing to my ears. The stuff he did inside the piano was cool. My hubby, who can play, said that a lot of the “noise” songs sounded wrong.

I would like to see more of him, though. You can tell he can play a lot better than that, and the other comments have made me curious for me.

He has to lose the growling…that’s just creepy.

14. rafaela domenech says:

What I been wated to say forv a wile is thatthe show has lost its porpuse,its goal, it has become a freak, circus talent show. At the beggining the judges really past the real talent, now even a drag queen goes on to vegas. What happened to the meanning of the 1,000000.act. Value? Sharon and howiepass anything on, thank God for the only judge that still knows the meanning of what talent is all about. Pierce. Sorry but you must know its a freak show!I have stopped watching since the beginning of this season.every one that goes on either has a sad story or they go on to vegas because they feel sorry for them. Wake up you are loosing the grip. h

15. dk says:

I think he’s awesome. Go to his website and listen to his other music before judging one song. My only question is what happened to him on America’s Got Talent? He made it through the first round but they never showed him again. My guess is that they booted him off the show because he’s already a pro or he dropped because of his touring schedule…..but I wish I had an actual legit answer.