Comic-Con

TVLine Items: Idol's Randy Jackson Wants to Talk, Bachelor Pad Lands New Man, and More!

Is America ready for the Dawg to dominate daytime TV? Randy Jackson thinks so.

The American Idol judge is reportedly pitching a self-hosted talk show all over town, says The Hollywood Reporter. “He wants to talk about things that will be hip next,” a source tells THR. “He thinks he has his finger on the pulse.”

The question is: Would he be in it to win it? (That one’s for you, Haley Reinhart fans.)

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Remember those three mystery men from the current season of The Bachelorette who are set to appear on Bachelor Pad this summer? EW.com has revealed that one of them will be William, the just-ousted comedian cell phone salesman who made Ashley cry.

Locke & Key — yes, the graphic novel-based pilot Fox declined to order to series — will do the unprecedented and hold a screening/panel at this year’s Comic-Con festivities. For everything else Con related, be sure to check out TVLine’s full-schedule at this link.

True Blood premieres its fourth season this Sunday, June 26, and showrunner Alan Ball tells The Hollywood Reporter that while the HBO series might have a lot of life left in it, he’s not sure he’s long for the world of Bon Temps. “Right now I’m in the middle of negotiating for a fifth season,” Ball says. “I don’t know if I have any left in me after that. We’ll see.”

• HBO is developing Da Brick, a drama series loosely based on the childhood of the infamous Mike Tyson, Deadline reports. Entourage creator Doug Ellin, filmmaker Spike Lee, and writer John Ridley have teamed with the boxer/pigeon racer on the project, which is described as an “exploration of what it means to be a young, black man in supposedly post-racial America.”

• Griffin Dunne has joined the cast of Showtime’s upcoming dark comedy House of Lies, says The Hollywood Reporter. Starring opposite Kristen Bell and Don Cheadle, Dunne will play a world-famous management consultant who joins the firm.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Sam says:

This is the worst idea for anything ever. If he repeats himself within 30 seconds, why on God’s green earth would anyone want him to take up a whole hour?

• Nat says:

Hell to the NO!

• buzz says:

Hell wouldn’t even accept Randy. This guy has no credibility, because what he says and what is reality, is so far apart…is farther apart than the top button on his sweater and the bottom button when he’s wearing it…rings of Jupiter in-between.

• elr says:

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard! But, it was good for a good long laugh.

• Suncatcher says:

Mr. Jackson best be aware that the MILLIONS of Haley Reinhart fans DO bear a very big grudge when it comes to him and JLO for their documented vicious treatment of Haley Reinhart on American Idol.

– They are over at YouTube and online elsewhere right now alerting eachother about Randy looking for support with this new venture.
      – Word’s out – just say NO and spread the word.
      – We will not watch him as he has clearly shown himself to be a
      2-faced, babbling, nasty being.

– What goes around, comes around, Randy…

• Texas Wave says:

I agree 100%. Just for the record, I am not some kid, or even some tv junkie. I am a woman in my 50’s who loves music. I slowly became a Haley fan and she had me at Benny and the Jets. Then, the criticism got worse, more random, and the favoritism for the two country kiddies (who were good, but need to grow and learn) became more obvious every week. I know it goes on every year – but this was BLATENT!!! Randy looked like a fool and Ms Lopez looked like a jealous older woman afraid of her youthful competition. I would never watch a talk show with him as guest, let alone host. As for Ms Lopez…. you can’t stop time, “baby”. The occasional shot of JLo with her mouth pursed and eyes narrowed looking at Haley told the whole story.

• Suncatcher says:

SLEZAK – you getting this?

• grakky says:

NoNononoooooooooooNNNNooonNNooo lyin’ 2-faced soB, get JLo in on it with ya so I can sAY HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. So, what are you all about Randy, do you know who you are, are you a bass player, singer, crappy judge, A&R man or a talk show host…yo yo dawg no no just go go away

2. tma6469 says:

For 10 seasons Randy Jackson has barely put one full coherent sentence toghter. Now, he wants his on talk show. Does anyone even like him? I mean he’s been there since the beginning, but I’ve never heard anyone say anything postive about him.

3. Jane says:

Randy Jackson talk show? No. Just no.

4. Paco says:

Last true blood season? yes please. first two seasons were awesome but the show sucks so hard now its not even funny.

5. Bob says:

Don’t worry. Lots of people push their own talk shows in Hollywood and never see the light of day. But someone may bite and do a pilot episode, test market it, and then deliver the bad news. Sorry, Randy, but you and talk just don’t go together. While you’re at it, bow out of AI. You’re the only judging holdover. Time to leave the nest.

6. Tucker says:

This is … you know what I’m sayin’, though … I mean, it’s … Ima tell you it’s good, dawg. When I was touching base with Harpo Studios, and I was hanging out with Ellen, and I got the chance to talk with Hoda Kotb, and my good friend Bryant Gumbel from back in the day, they said this was gonna be a tight joint. You know what I’m sayin’ … You feel me? It’s IN! IT! TO WIN IT! RIGHT! HERE!!!!

• Sandi B says:

You got it! That’s about all the dialogue he can muster…except for the “air quotes” and the butchering of phrases that he so expertly does on AI. The man has nothing to say and likely, little that America wants to hear. Go away now…

7. Ringo says:

Please, oh please, give Randy his own talk show. I want the man to fail miserably and publicly. I want him to bleed for his stupidity.

8. mada says:

No to Randy talk show. Unless it means that he’ll be exiting American Idol, then yes, get the hell out. He can have whatever talk show he wants on UPN

• forrest says:

If we learned anything from Ellen’s only season, it’s that you can mumble through a season of idol and still have a daytime talk show. So there is no guarantee RJ would leave idol.

• Heather says:

In defence of Ellen, she does have good taste in music and has an idea of what is good and what isn’t. She was just afraid to hurt anyone’s feelings and (possibly) alienate her fans. She didn’t butcher the English language on AI like Randy does. She was (in my opinion) a pretty inoffensive judge, unlike Randy who is hated universally. To have a talk show, you need to be likeable- something Randy can never be.

9. FluffyBunnyz says:

No. Just, no, and HELL no! I want Randy OFF of my TV forever, not more of him on my screen!!

10. MA says:

Oh hell to the NO!

11. Octodad says:

I hope he gets a talk show. It’ll help fill out some network’s comedy lineup. For you for me.

12. JerryT says:

I Dont’t Think it is for him,”like THE GREAT MICHAEL JACKSON”,he will have to scream at the end and with all that pitchiness and runs, I believe it is really out of his range.I don’t like the Idea and truly he DOES NOT KNOW WHAT IS HIP!!!Like I said I just don’t like the Idea that’s all I’m saying.

13. jrs says:

Randy, for me for you, that is a totally asinine idea!!! NO one, I mean NO ONE wants to listen to him.

14. Joseph says:

Randy Jackson, you may think you are some big music industry guru, but the general public had no idea who the f you were before American Idol. You will forever be known as the third wheel to Simon and Paula on a reality singing competition. Nothing more. No one wants to watch your crap show.

• smitty says:

The way he unfairly treated Haley on AI this season was unforgivable. I used to respect Randy’s opinion but this guy’s an obvious puppet for the AI producers. His opinion means jacksh!t anymore..

• Miguel says:

Just figured out Randy Jackson’s problem with Haley:

He was trying to play himself up against her by acting like he knew the industry while she didn’t even know herself and thus needed his guidance. When she resisted his criticism that was made just for show instead of meekly acknowledging it she made him look bad and he couldn’t have that.

• Big Butch says:

@Miguel, you may have something there, but the prime reason that Randy “dissed” Haley is because the TPTB wanted that young country battle in the end and it was Jackson’s job to help destroy Haley’s chances of getting votes, but negatively commenting.. Same was w/ JLo. Haley was just so fantastic, Steven could not bring himself to hurt her critically..

• Suncatcher says:

@Big Butch – Absolutely right. And, Steven Tyler got so mad at JLO and Randy, at one point while they were ripping Haley a new one following another flawless performance, Tyler told Haley, “Don’t listen to them, Haley!” and “They are WRONG!.” And he was MAD. Luckily Haley listened to Steven.

-Randy. JLO. Go away. Shooo.

15. CandaceTX says:

go ahead… do it. Then maybe he will see (with the dismal ratings) how much America hates him.

16. Torpedo says:

Well Randy Jerkson, regarding the applicants for that talk show.. It’s a tie between Steven, J-Blo,Simon, Paula, Kara and Ellen! It would be like going to one of their concerts.. They would all be “in it to win it” you Mr Randy Jack-ass!
    Oh and Haley would be the first guest, singing her fine fine little self, right into starddom!
    So Randy, I listened to your pitch tape and I just wasn’t that into it! You were actually just screaming those vocals!
    ROTFALMAO at you Randy!

17. gill king says:

Hey Torpedo, you crack me up! But.. HALEY would not even lower herself to perform on a Randy Jackoff talk show!

18. RandyJacksonSucks says:

Randy showed himself to be a despicable human being in the way he treated Haley. Just thinking about his, “The great Michael Jackson” quote … turns my stomach. So, would I want to see more Randy Jackson on my TV? Hell, NO.

Finally, I can’t help but wonder how Randy Jackson treats other women and children in private.

19. Ken The Great says:

Randy is a douche. I hope when he shills his ridiculous show concept he gets the same treatment by the Powers that Be that he gave to Haley on Idol…the difference, of course, being she was great and he’s a total fool.

20. Scott says:

Oh please. No one wants to watch Randy on Idol or this show

21. Esther says:

Randy, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!start a talk show and give us the pleasure to see you making a fool of yourself; you cannot even have a decent sentence out of your mouth on AI, how can you even keep up with an hr or even 30m in a “talk show” ???? just quit AI for goodness sake who needs your “dawg”…PLZ!!!!!!! gone, gone.

22. Pat says:

Screw that guy. HALEY FTW.

23. Sarah says:

Sad True Blood news. Does that mean the end of True Blood or would they carry on without Ball?

24. Satchvai says:

This has to be about the funniest set of comments I’ve read in a while. Guess ol’Randy ain’t “inittowinit” after all. BTW, anyone find it ironic the guy who wants to show us how to be hip and cutting edge wears pointed shoes and urkle letter sweaters?

25. Gary Forrest says:

Lol, do it just to watch him fail.

26. Trevor Amon says:

I was just looking at a list of Randy Jackson’s credits and it doesn’t look like he has ever had his “finger on the pulse”. He may have worked with Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey and Celine Dion in their respective primes, and no doubt they sold a lot of records when he worked with them, but even those credits don’t strike me as representative of someone who has their finger on the pulse of what is going on. It’s tough to make a living in the music business, and good for Randy Jackson for making millions over the years as a musician and a producer, not to mention what he has made doing American Idol. However, I think it is highly unlikely that 30 to 40 years from now that scholars are going to point to the work that Randy Jackson ever did as anything to remark upon. Haley Reinhart has more raw talent and artistry than virtualy any other singer I have heard in the last 10 years and Randy Jackson tried to tear her apart over and over again while he praised lesser singers. He should go back behind the scenes and work with Kenny G and Michael Bolton again and forever keep his opinions to himself.

27. A Randy "Fan" says:

Omg, he wants to make a talk show?! What the hell is he thinking? He better change his mind before people with forks and torches come knocking on his door.

28. perry hodgins says:

What a joke !!Randy Jackson has no chance at anything now,esp.after his treatment of Haley Reinhart.He has lost all his credibility.His finger on the pulse ?? Not sure if he has one.Go away Randy and hold your head down in shame. Haley maybe the best raw talent in a long time and he could not see or hear that ?????

29. Suncatcher says:

Hey SLEZAK! I hope you are reading these comments and giving yourself a confetti shower! : )

– GROWLER POWER!

30. Louie says:

He has his finger on the pulse of what’ll be hip? Is he kidding? He’s got to be. There’s no way anybody could be any more self-important to think they’re relevant to pop culture than this moron.

31. David(UK) says:

HELL TO THE NO
    I will never forget nor forgive how this bad man treated and bullied Haley Reinhart throughout the whole season.
    The poor girl poured her heart and soul into every performance and all this man does is insult and hurt her.
    What he did to her just before her IWHN performance still upsets me terribly to this day.
    The man is so heartless and clueless it’s actually disturbing.

• LadyTsun says:

I agree 100%. That scene still makes my blood boil every time I remember it and I will never forget it. I lost all my respect to this Dawg. I want him out of my tv forever!

32. Grant says:

First of all, Randy Jackson is not “The Dawg.” He’s “The Dawg Sh*t.”

33. claudia says:

When did Randy pose for the photo that goes with this article? Fifteen, twenty years ago? He’s much older & much fatter now. Maybe that picture was airbrushed.

As for watching his talk show, no way Jose. I don’t even want him to get one episode. After all he would get paid for any show that airs, no matter how much it bombed. I would rather he get shot down when he pitches it. And I know some of you would watch it, even though you said you wouldn’t, just to see him bomb. (Although if you’re not a Neilson family, it wouldn’t be counted anyway.)

34. garrett... says:

HELL NO

35. HGrebnesor says:

I simply top sheeted the comments made by all. Clearly all accurately reflect on the liklihood that this talentless hasbeen could ever be successful on television. One would question the sanity of anyone that watched for more than a JLo minute.

Only possible talking for this poor soul would be as a greeter @ the local Walmart – and even at that I doubt he could handle his lines much beyond the dialogue from Tuckers remarks above.

Sorry Randy, America got it right!

36. rafael says:

great idea if a show want to lose many

37. pedritoo says:

This silly joke makes me laugh.

38. whateverblah says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

39. Mel says:

OK, I do not normally do these sort of post. I cannot help it.

Randy, I found you to be simple on all of the Idol series. Never really put much value in your remarks and advice for the contestants.
    I did not find you offensive though, until this year. I know music well and I know talent when I see it. Like everyone else here I cannot understand your attacks on Haley.

Does not matter now though, She is beyond you now.

My advice, Don’t do it!! You will be destined to make an even bigger fool of yourself.

Randy, if you do not know what it is, GOOGLE IT, “KARMA”!!!!!

• Suncatcher says:

Mel! Very nicely put. Welcome to a lot of first time commenters who have found a way to release a lot of pent up disgust with Mr. Jackson who wouldn’t know talent nor a trend if he was sitting in front of it – and he was – a totally talented lady named, Haley.

– GROWLER POWER!

• LadyTsun says:

“Thumbs up”

40. sheesh says:

He’s a babbling baffoon repeating his crud over and over. No one cares what he has to say. Yes- take the job so we can all watch you go down in flames Randy you baffoon woman hater.

(can someone tell me why this guy is on TV in the first place? He has NOTHING to offer. )

41. LOL says:

Randy is now commonly known as Dawg-shet on the web.

42. randyisDawgshet says:

When Randy said “It’s a tie between James, Lauren and Shcotty but not Haley that was when he should have gotten fired. If he did that to any other contestant, they’d have cried alot more than Haley’s tiny tear. This was soooo unprofessional. The big dawgshet bully needs to go. Randy dawgshet: You are fired you talentless baffoon.

• eifionj says:

randysDawgshet, the problem is that Randy’s not bright enough to realise how pathetic a comment it was. Look how difficult he found it to justify his critique of the Earth Song in light of Hayley and Steven’s response, his lack of intellect meant he had to resort to shouting

43. cami says:

NO WAY. I want Randy off TV. How can you build a talk show on 5 phrases? That moron hasn’t been able to construct a coherent sentence in years. And , I swear, NO ONE will watch his show after what he did to Haley. Heck, he’ll probably unfairly critique his first guest…

44. Haley got your back says:

YO DAWG HOW YOU BEE,YOU WOULD’NT KNOW TALENT IF IT HIT YOU LIKE A TREE,DO YOU FEEL ME DAWG!

45. Haley is 3rd place winner says:

JLO said Haley had one of the best voices on the show but grimmaced to have to say it. Randy and her both know Haley was the best but they followed producers orders to get the less talented country bumpkins to the top 2. Randy is useless and sickening. Everything Haley sings she puts a bluesy twist to it so how can Randy say “put that bluesy twist on it” what a useless dork he is.

46. 1teacherpit says:

I find it hard to believe that this man thinks that he was right in all his harsh words towards Haley. When she sang “Blue” I thought OMG what am I listening to? I was SHOCKED and AWED. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I had no idea what Jimmy Iovine was talking about when he told Haley, ” I don’t know many singers today that go do that”. Haley made it very clear what he was talking about. Steven hit it right on the head, he knew what he just heard was perfection. Then Jlo and Randy puts their two cents in and the confussion for me began. Then after each show she got better and better and Randy for the most part torn into her while allowing less performances by the other singers pass his own self serving posturing.
    So many artist, a lot more successful than Randy, from many genres supported Haley as she survived each week. Until the judges, which I am sure Steven disliked, gave her a whorey song “You Outha Know”. I don’t blame the two teens, they played the cards dealt to them. But Haley had to each week shake off undeserved attacks and just shine.
    Randy as you by now should no that America demands a level playing field.
    I will not be watching your show and since I am as common as the dirt under my feet, I doubt a whole lot like me will be either.

Thank you Haley for the wonderful feelings you gave to me each week and continue to on YouTube. And most for allowing Randy to exposed himself for what he is, “Yes Man”

47. SimonTolentino says:

I don’t wanna see Randy Jackass Jackson and Jealous Jlo’s faces again. I say NO WAY. Haley doesn’t deserved to be treated like what he and jlo did.

48. JasonSquevedo says:

I hate Randy Jackgroid. I don’t wanna see his face ever again. I want Randy off TV. I don’t even wanna see him next season of idol.

49. Joanne Westwood says:

I say yes. Mr. Jacskon is so full of ego he is completely oblivious to the fact that he has lost all credibility in the minds of the viewing public. His treatment of Haley Reinhard exposed his true malicious self for all to see. Personally, I cannot stomach listening to him for a single sentence, much less an hour.

Please do sign him up the show. I’ll enjoy watching it fail.

50. RTW says:

This SNL skit will be great with Kenan Thompson…oh wait, this ISN’T A JOKE?! You’ve got to be kidding me. If he had his finger “on the pulse”, he’d know that a lot of people actually mute him during his “critique” on AI. I absolutely abhor this talentless moron.