Emmys 2011: What TVLine Readers' Drama Ballot Would Look Like

Over the past few weeks, TVLine has exhaustively previewed this year’s Primetime Emmy race, sharing our “Dream Nominees” as well as inviting readers to survey the field and cast their own ballots. (Our Emmy coverage-to-date can all be found here, with much more to come.)

The actual nominees will be announced on July 14. But based on poll tallies as of June 20, here’s what the TVLine readers’ ballot for the drama categories would look like (with contenders listed in alphabetical order). Hit the comments to cheer your fave getting kudos or sound off on any head-scratchers.

Blue indicates a TVLine Dream Nominee

Friday Night Lights
• Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Mad Men

TVLine Dream Nominees: Justified, The Walking Dead

• Jensen Ackles (Supernatural)
Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights)
• Nathan Fillion (Castle)
• Michael C. Hall (Dexter)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
• Hugh Laurie (House)
Other TVLine Dream Nominees: Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead), Donal Logue (Terriers), William H. Macy (Shameless) and Timothy Olyphant (Justified)

Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights)
• Emily Deschanel (Bones)
• Lauren Graham (Parenthood)
• Mariska Hargitay (Law & Order: SVU)
Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife)
Anna Torv (Fringe)
Other TVLine Dream Nominees: Mireille Enos (The Killing), Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men) and Katey Sagal (Sons of Anarchy)

• Scott Caan (Hawaii Five-0)
• Josh Charles (The Good Wife)
Alan Cumming (The Good Wife)
• Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
John Noble (Fringe)
• Denis O’Hare (True Blood)
Other TVLine Dream Nominees: Walton Goggins (Justified), Jared Harris (Mad Men), Shawn Hatosy (Southland) and Joel Kinnaman (The Killing)

• Christine Baranski (The Good Wife)
• Lisa Edelstein (House)
Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife)
• Sara Ramirez (Grey’s Anatomy)
KaDee Strickland (Private Practice)
• Mae Whitman (Parenthood)
Other TVLine Dream Nominees: Michele Forbes (The Killing), Regina King (Southland), Margo Martindale (Justified) and Chloe Sevigny (Big Love)

1. Matthew Thomas says:

Very good list. Each category has one WTF choice (Dexter – which has been great in the past but had a pretty terrible 5th season, Jensen Ackles, Emily Deschanel, Scott Caan) but overall it’s definitely a much better list than I expected.

• Denise says:

I loved this past season of Dexter. I still have it on my dvr and just recently watched it again. I really enjoyed the love story this season.

• Emma says:

I’m tired of reading complaints about Dexter’s season 5. It really deserves to be among the nominees and it’s about time Michael C. Hall gets his much deserved Emmy. I have to agree on the Jensen Ackles nod though, I enjoy Supernatural a lot but the show is no awards material.

• Mike says:

I agree Hall deserves a win, but my guess is with Cranston out of the picture this season, Jon Hamm is going to take home the emmy. Well deserved as well though.

• HiKelly says:

I disagree. Jensen’s performances are amazing. One look at the man’s face and you know what’s going through Dean’s head – without Jensen having to speak one word. Honestly I wish Supernatural would have been nominated for the best drama series – I completely disagree with some of the choices (*cough* FRINGE *cough*)

• Alienware says:

No it doesn’t. Deserves to be nominated among the best drama of the year I mean. But Sadly, it will be.

• Couley says:

I’m sorry but Jensen Ackles is not a WTF choice, he’s a terrific actor and director. It’s not his fault the show he’s on is a genre show on the CW, it doesn’t change the depth and complexity of his performances. Any actor who can take some of the junk he’s had to work with script wise and turn it into something that even halfway makes sense has got real genuine talent and when he does get a great script he makes the most of every nuance. He also earns the respect of everyone he works with, some really experienced actors have been highly complimentary of him.

• Not Humble says:

TVLine – way way way too much love for The Walking Dead.

Readers – Props for Emily Deschanel who had her best year on Bones.

Everybody – Much love for FNL, The Magnificent Connie Britton, Kyle Chandler, The Good Wife, Margulies, Torv, Noble.

• sashay says:

I agree that there are some strange choices on here, but I find that I favour at least one choice on the list. I don’t understand why Jensen Ackles would be a WTF choice – to me, he clearly deserves to be nominated for this category, and then WIN IT. Amazing actor, in a consistently overlooked show. Typical for the science fiction genre, has the Academy ever bothered to watch ANY of their shows? Supernatural and Fringe are the only dramas I bother to watch – all the other legal, medical and police procedurals are done to death.

• filmex says:

Fringe over Justified???

Jensen Ackles over Timothy Olypant??

Lisa Edelstein over Margo Martindale??

• mrk63 says:

I agree with you. WTF.

• Stephen S. says:

Fringe AND Justified BOTH deserve to be nominated. Lisa Edelstein AND Margo Martindale BOTH deserve to be nominated. Jensen Ackles AND Timothy Olyphant BOTH deserve to be nominated.

• John Zikas GR says:

i totally agree with you !
          but i dont think many ppl are THAT open-minded to say that some1/something else deserves an award too ..
          im a House and Southpark maniac , but i watch other series too and many friends of mine ( due to Directing universities mostly and Acting a bit ) are watching many shows , so , about the shows that i havent seen , i know lost of stuff :)

( if u want a tv show that is a TRUE masterpiece , i recommend Southpark . it is just perfect from soooooo many points of view , scenario , fun , originality .. and mostly it is one of the smartest shows/movies whatever that i’ve aaaall these years and the Southpark creator’s musical , has recieved many awards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Mormon_(musical)#Awards_and_honors so , i think u must reconsider watching “a cartooon” :P :D )

• Lea says:

Scott Caan was nominated for a golden globe so I wouldn’t say he is too much if a WTF

• Jessica Levi says:

okay well if you watched bones or hawaii five-o, then youd know thqat emily deschanel and scott caan are both amazing actors… so yeah

• Moonlight4ever says:

Emily has grown so much as an actress on Bones. She totally deserves a nomination for her work especially for season 6!

H5O fans, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. The ten million fans that tune each week are watching because of Alex O’loughlin not whiny Scott Caan. All ten million Moonlight fans that fell in love with Alex’s work followed him to the mediocre H5O. Alex deserves an Emmy for making the show appear as goog as it does each week.

• Moon says:

um i dont mean to burst you bubble BUT EMILY DESERVES HER EMMY AND NO ONE CAN DENY IT and if your a hater then be a hater cause thats what makes her famous (plus all the awesome bones that she digs up)

2. mariana says:

I’m pretty disappointed in the TVLine readers. Those aren’t very good lists.

3. S. from A. says:

no one seems to watch the walking dead an justified… what a pity…

4. Nicole says:

Sean Bean could totally sneak into the Lead Actor race for the ‘Baelor’ ep alone.

• Marsha says:

Thank you! Agree completely. I love Justified and I believe that they should totally get nominated for outstanding lead actor (Olyphant), supporting actress (Margo Marindale) and outstanding drama series, but Sean Bean’s portrayal of Ned Stark especially in those three final episodes was outstanding.

• Cameron says:

If any actor out of Game of Thrones deserves an Emmy it would be Dinklage, though Sean was quite good as well. Glad to see Anna Torv on this list and I was very happy to see John Noble get the Critic’s Choice Award last week, Fringe is the most underrated show on TV.

• HiKelly says:

Are you kidding me? Fringe wins so much things and gets critics’ attention!!! It is not underrated in ANY way. Now turn to Supernatural that hasn’t been payed attention to in its 6 years of existance….Then I start to cry :'(

• AJ says:

Fringe doesn’t win a lot. Trust me.

Doing some quick math with the help of Wikipedia and then adding the three Critics Choice nominations (For Anna, John, and the show itself), Fringe and its caste and crew have been nominated for 45 awards. They’ve won 8. (And yes, I know Supernatural hasn’t won that many either, probably just as many as Fringe, because Supernatural was around when Lost was in its prime. Fringe has only been around for three years.)

Critics do like Fringe (I can’t speak for Supernatural), but come awards time, both shows fall victim to the genre curse, unfortunately.

• j says:

supernatural is an estrogenfest like everything else on the CW. only teenage girls/comic book nerds watch it.

• Sabrina says:

I know right…everyone is saying all this bad stuff about Jensen, I wonder if most of them have ever seen the show. just because it’s on a channel that isn’t taken seriously doesn’t change how amazing the actor is.

• Mike says:

I’m sure supernatural i deserving of some awards as well as tvd too. But their problem is the network they’re on. I’ve never seen a cw show or actor nominated by the Emmys. Fringe is in a prime position to take Lost’s spot among the nominees. There were lots of quality cable shows though so it’s definitely not a shoo-in. But I agree with the poster above. Fringe has not won many awards.

• aleksa says:

I definitely think “Game of Thrones” deserves much Emmy love. However, since it started this spring, wouldn’t we have to wait ’til next year?

• Bob says:

The Emmy rules say the end date for consideration is May 31st. Enough of a shows episodes have to be shown before then for consideration, but they are allowed to go into June (The Sopranos rule). So GoT could be nominated since seven of their ten episodes aired before May 31st.

5. Kathryn says:

I’m surprised that so many broadcast show actors made it…with the exception of The Good Wife cable tv actors should have swept this. I guess most TVline readers don’t have access to cable. That’s kinda shocking

• Amy says:

I am one of those people who have 12 basic channels, so I think it is nice to see all the networks represented. The Emmys are like my Super Bowl and it gets old having only nominees from shows I don’t even watch. It also gets old saying cable shows are better than most network shows just because they are edgier and can push more boundaries than network shows. I really hope Friday Night Lights, The Good Wife, and Fringe get lots of nominations. Love that Nathan Fillion is on the dream ballot. Castle might not be taken seriously, but he does some brilliant work.

• Alex says:

I’m so sorry for you. I can’t imagine not watching cable TV! You’re missing out on so much!

• MrMank says:

I can’t speak for everyone, but I know for me the issue isn’t pushing boundaries (although on HBO and Showtime that’s certainly the case). Even basic cable shows like The Killing, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc. break from formula. There is so much of a premium placed on acting and good storytelling. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule on both sides of the fence, but that’s basically how it goes.

• sarah says:

I totally agree. There’s no way any procedurals should get on this list at all. Especially Castle and Bones (even though I love the shows).

• j says:

most cable networks are overrated. especially HBO/showtime.

• guest says:

Cable seems to be overrated, take Boardwalk Empire, so overhyped before it was on air, and then it is difficult to be negative, so it pops up on every experts list.

Fringe would have gotten awards if it would have been on cable, see the hype for Walking Dead.
        Walking Dead has zombies, not much to do with daily life, True Blood has also been recognized by the Emmy.
        I find it ridiculous that after one good pilot Walking Dead gets so much buzz, The Killing USA is a weak copy from the Danish original and still it has been treated as original drama, Mad Men was when on air?

Fringe is not recognized by Emmy (yet) because it is on network, not because it is scifi; scifi is just a part of the show. The high quality of the drama can equal any cable show, especially the writing from the ladies Schaepker and Breen. The acting is high class, the entire support cast, but especially Anna Torv and John Noble.

6. Carrie says:

I might be able to explain those WTF votes– there’s been a rally online in some fan sites to vote Emily Deschanel up. I tried to explain to people that this is NOT that kind of poll and that it was unnecessary to vote more than once, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t listen. I think she’s a great actress and has done well with her material, but her material is not as CONSISTENTLY complex and, well, as good, as many other shows in the running.

7. ubliette says:

I actually agree with tvlines choices more than the more than the readers. With the exception of Dennis o hare and Jensen Ackles. I would like to see them nominated.

8. Sam says:

The schadenfreude would be delicious if House wasn’t nominated for best drama (which it shouldn’t be, and pollsters seem to agree) but Lisa Edelstein received a nomination for supporting actress. That smug b@stard DS would probably have a b!tchfit.

• Amy says:

Keep dreaming, it won’t happen!

• Sam says:

Uh, what won’t happen; the show NOT getting a nomination or LE receiving one? LE is a long shot but House wasn’t even nominated LAST SEASON and the show has deteriorated even further since then. It’s completely PROBABLE that this year will be more of the same. Actually, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hugh Laurie himself was passed over, it’s not like he’s going to win anyway.

• Katie says:

If Hugh Laurie doesn’t get nominated after his chilling performance in After Hours, there’s no justice in the world. Ditto if LE DOES get nominated because there just HAS to be better supporting (that’s right, supporting) actresses than her. Maybe she’s not at fault because her material did nothing this year to make her sympathic and relateable, but regardless, LE’s performances are NOTHING compared to HL. BTW, it is just so classy to wish bad things on a show that your actress chose to leave. That’s why Cuddy fans literally make me ill.

• ya hugh laurie is the best, . But he did for Lisa, what Fred did for Ginger. Whom ever his next focus, may she carry the weight of character that he does, like a person under all that outward beauty, like a garbo, or shakespeare charactor hiding in a man’s job or should I say boy’s disguise. Theoretically …. I think Cuddy’s character made a nice attempt at this, but she wasn’t real enough for me to have reasons why she resisted him. didn’t all that tension ever get to her?
            we need a Katherine to his Heathcliff. someone who could carry The Lion in Winter with him. Napoleon’s mistress would be too sweet, we need a Josephine.

• merkof says:

Hugh Laurie deserves not only to be nominated but to win as well.
            After all by now he carries the show alone on his shoulders .Who would watch House if not for him? For LE? Hah!!
            He is by far the most versatile actor in the list and I do not mean in the whole of his works but WITHIN the show. He can do from the most horrific dramatic scenes to absolute clownish. And that from day one of House.

• PattiE says:

Hugh Laurie definitely should be nominated, most especially because of the “After Hours” episode. And he along with Robert Sean Leonard (who shines even with the lackluster writing) still keep me watching-I was privileged to see RSL live on Broadway this summer.

• tripoli says:

Ditto. So much pity for the poor, crazy Cuddy freaks.

9. Alex says:

All I’m going to say is that Anna Torv, John Noble and Fringe deserve a nomination

• Cortexifan says:

You said it all!
      Fringe Rocks!

• j says:

we are in total agreement.

• guest says:

Completely agree, actually Anna Torv and John Noble deserve to win, but a nomination would feel like a victory.

From season 1 I have admired Anna Torv, her character is groundbreaking: an introverted woman, who closes off after trauma instead of the usual behaviour. I am very pleased that finally Anna Torv is getting her well deserved praise, with some critics having to apologize. She is a fantastic actress.

• dana says:

Amen to that!

10. xwiseguyx says:

I would like to nominate 2 1/2 Men for best drama – even if all of it was behind the scenes..

11. Mel says:

Nathan Fillion
    Lauren Graham
    Josh Charles
    Mae Whitman

• Paul says:

except for LG and Dexter(which deserve a nom. but not to win) ARE YOU CRAZY! this post should make the comedy rounds pleaseee jajaj nathan fillion

12. Sourabh says:

Pretty decent list. Not perfect, but not too shabby either.
    How come TVLine doesn’t seem to show Game Of Thrones any love in this list? Rectify this. Turn them from black to blue right now.

13. Lizzy says:

I didn’t realize (AND CANNOT BELIEVE) that Lauren Graham wasn’t one of tvline’s dream nominees?!?! Michael Ausiello made a video with Lauren at last year’s Emmy’s saying he would get her a nomination this year. She has been stunningly perfect on Parenthood during season 2 – packing an emotional punch that often brought me to tears and then instantly smile the next moment. I know Ausiello was a fan of Lauren’s, the fact that this site has done very little to acknowledge her amazing talent since its inception has been beyond annoying. But this has turned a corner for me, I now realize that Ausiello is shady and goes back on his word – I’ve lost respect. Won’t be visiting tvline anymore.

14. Bee says:

man oh man do i wish sara and kadee would both get nominated for the supporting actress emmy in real life.

15. Jon says:

The Walking Dead was terrible. It did not live up to its hype and there are way better shows on TV right now…

The 1st season of Game of Thrones was one of the best seasons I’ve seen in a long time. Everything was perfect – acting, script, directing, costumes. Even the opening should get a nomination (even though they don’t do that anymore). Fringe was also amazing – I hope Anna and John get their more than deserved Emmys!

16. Ingmar says:

The lead actress drama and supporting actress drama are my dream nominees, lol. Emily Deschannel, Anna Torv, etc….all underrated. Especially Lauren Graham!

17. nonabgo says:

What, no TVD? Why, I am positively shocked!

18. Ju says:

• Mae Whitman (Parenthood)

19. Joe says:

Totally agree with Lisa Edelstein getting a nomination! She’s so underrated..

I really hope Dexter gets a nomination too, love that show.

20. Gabby says:

I love all the Good Wife nominations! and yes Lauren Graham is such an underrated actress so it’s nice to see her there. The only thing I’m wondering…why in the world is Sara Ramirez there? Sorry no way!

21. Renata says:

Laurem Graham should be a dream choice. Just like all the other nominations related to Parenthoot, Supernatural, Bones, Castle and Grey’s Anatomy.
    And I don’t get why people complain about Dexter, it was a great 5th season.
    I do think you are missing some great shows like Glee, Boardwalk Empire, In Treatment and True Blood.

22. kozmikg@yahoo.com says:

Nathan Fillion
    Anna Torv
    John Noble
    KaDee Strickland

23. Frank says:

Still shocked that there`s no Stana Katic on the lead actress list.

24. radz says:

YES YES YES TO FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. Hope it actually makes the cut/wins something this year

25. Katen says:

Everybody – or at least a good majority – is complaining about finding each year the same shows and same actors on the nominee list, and here, on a readers list, well, no surprises either. Those shows are good but for god sake.

26. jrs says:

So far off on so many categories! This is bogus.

27. bamalam says:

OMG! Go Mae Whitman! One of the best parts of Parenthood!

28. Carla says:

I love Lisa Edelstein and John Noble. Hope they get a nod.

29. Mark says:

WTF? No nominations for Breaking Bad in any category? How is the show being overlooked by the readers on this website?

30. Tracy says:

• Game of Thrones
    • Mad Men
    • Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife)
    • Sara Ramirez (Grey’s Anatomy)
    • Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
    • John Noble (Fringe)
    • Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
    • Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights)
    ***Mireille Enos (The Killing), Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men) and Katey Sagal (Sons of Anarchy)

These are all good choices though I think MAD MEN’S “The Suitcase” is going to be hard to beat.

31. Kay says:

I’m happy John Noble, Anna Torv and Fringe are all Dream Nominees. :) Yay! Completely agree with The Good WIfe choices too.

I’ll cheer Jensen Ackles along, but sadly, he wasn’t given much to work on this past season at all. I wish he could get into a role where he can really show his abilities, and on a network taken more seriously.

32. lisabeth says:

Misha Collins deserves an Emmy nod for his work on The Man Who Would Be King.

33. Captain says:

Why wasn’t this done for the Comedy category?

34. Roma says:

– Mariska Hargitau
    – Anna Torv
    – Josh Charles
    – Alan Cumming
    – John Noble
    – Christine Baranski
    – LISA EDELSTEIN (it’s about time she gets a nod)
    – Archie Panjabi
    – KADEE STRICKLAND (this was her season, and she probably won’t get a nod but one can dream right?)

35. Grignac says:

Tvline, why have Game of Thrones and Supernatural on the picture if they are not a dream nomination for any category?

36. Jer says:

Uh….Sandra Oh?

37. MGL says:

Drama Lead Actor = Timothy Olyphant, Justified. He was so excellent this past season. Jon Hamm is getting tiring.

38. Meg says:

I agree with a lot of this list both from the readers and TVLine. Sadly, Jensen Ackles (and Jared Padalecki) didn’t even submit their names and weren’t on the ballot, so doesn’t that mean that he can’t be nominated (not that he would anyway, the CW seems to fly far under the Emmy radar)?

39. SRP says:

WHERE THE EFF IS STANA KATIC?! One of the best lead actresses, hands down.

40. CindyJean says:

I think those lists overall are pretty good. I would have Toni Collette for United States of Tara and Edie Falco for Nurse Jackie on there. However – if no one on those lists won it would be a shame because Margo Martindale was outstanding in Justified.

41. kbooga says:

I realize a lot of people wouldn’t agree with Jensen Ackles being on the list, but that has to be because of the show he’s on and/or Channel his show is on. However, I have been saying for a while now that he is not getting the credit he deserves. He really is an astounding actor.

• frannie says:

That’s true. However, I guess seeing him nominated will continue to be a fantasy of ours, since he didn’t nominate himself. Too bad that the show’s producers don’t make that decision. The less ego-driven actors have much less of a profile as a result.

42. mrk63 says:

I hate to say it, but the readers here are way way off. There is NO way Nathan Fillion, Jensen Ackles, Scott Caan, Mae Whitman, or Lisa Edlestein deserve nominations. All good performances, but they aren’t even in the same ballpark as Kyle Chandler, Connie Britton, and Julianna Margulies. Not to mention those far more Emmy worthy left off readers’ ballots: Margo Martindale, Timothy Olyphant, Elizabeth Moss, Katy Segal, or Walton Groggins.

Thank God the Emmys won’t look like this.

• Nona says:

Oh please they deserve to be there as much as those other actors do. Just because the other’s have better writing to work with doesn’t mean that Jensen Ackles, Nathan Fillion, et al aren’t every bit as talented and don’t wring just as much of the writing they do have. I’d personally put Jensen Ackles against ANY of those you listed in a similar quality show.

• sashay says:

I agree. Most of the people on his list I haven’t watched, but of the ones I have, Juliana Margulies is one I would leave out. She was wonderful on ER, but she (and her show) are incredibly boring. Definitely a case of someone’s past reputation for previous work earning the nom. and not because they deserve it for that current role.

• mrk63 says:

Actually, it IS the better writing on shows like Justified and The Good Wife that make the acting stand out…that and having better actors to play off of. Olyphant had Groggins and Martindale to work with this season, and the results were amazing. I like Nathan Fillion a lot, and the show is entertaining, but it’s a typical crime procedural with fluff, and compared to other quality well-written shows out there it isn’t Emmy worthy. It’s hard to get Emmy nominated from a show like that.

43. Liz says:

Lisa Edelstein?!?! No way! Looks like obsessive LE fangirls have been voting their a*ses off again LMAO

44. Sally says:

I approve of the love for TGW, Game of Thrones, and Fringe.

45. Tee says:

Man not even Peter Dinklage got blue text? No Game of Thrones love here.

46. Saracen Riggins says:

I LOVE seeing Fringe and FNL noted as best series, but I’d definitely put Parenthood up there with them. Pleased to see both Coach and Mrs. Coach represented, as well as Mae Whitman and Lauren Graham.

47. Ellie says:

Anna Torv is my life :) I am chuffed to bits with all fringe related votes!

48. Nora says:

My dream nominees for Supporting Actor would be Michael Pitt for Boardwalk Empire, Matt Ross for Big Love, Mark Addy for Game of Thrones. For Lead Actress Jeanne Tripplehorn for Big Love. For Supporting Actress Kelly MacDonald for Boardwalk Empire, Emilia Clarke for Game of Thrones, and Chloe Sevigny for Big Love (who I’m glad to see TVLine agrees with). For Lead Actor I’d like to see Sean Bean for Game of Thrones and Steve Buscemi for Boardwalk Empire. Boardwalk and Big Love would be among my dream Best Drama nods.

49. Sidney says:

did you not see the finale!?!!

• AG says:

We’ve been over this. Yes, Stana had a few exceptional episodes to display her dramatic talent, however, the actresses on this list had all had consistent, solid, incredible seasons. Stana will probably get her turn. Just not this year.

*And I’m speaking as a Castle, Fringe, and FNL fan.

50. sarah says:

A lot of this list is hilarious. Procedurals? Really?