Exclusive

Hawaii Five-0 Exclusive: Lost's Terry O'Quinn Joins Cast, Reunites With Daniel Dae Kim

Terry O’Quinn is going baaaack to the island.

In what marks the most high-profile Lost reunion since the ABC phenom signed off last year, O’Quinn is joining the cast of CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 in a pivotal recurring role.

The gig not only brings the Emmy winner back to the Aloha State, but it reunites him with Lost castmate and Five-0 regular Daniel Dae Kim.

Want Scoop and Spoilers 24/7? Follow Me On Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

O’Quinn will play a Navy Seal Lt. Commander who trained Alex O’Loughlin’s McGarrett in Coronado, and served with his father in Vietnam. Described as strong, stubborn and a man you want in your corner when things go south, the character holds some of the answers to the mysteries surrounding the respective murders of McGarrett’s mother and father.

O’Quinn recently shot a starring role in the Marc Cherry-produced ABC pilot Hallelujah, but the drama failed to land a spot on the network’s fall schedule.

Thoughts? Short of a full-fledged Lost reunion, is this pretty much the next best thing?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News

1. TheReasonsY says:

TEASE! I thought it was actual LOST TV/Movie news not this. Although, I am happy about it.

• Alicia says:

How can LOST have a movie?

• NickC says:

I didn’t think it was a LOST story but if were talking could there be another story they could tell?There is still Hurley, Ben, and Walt watching the island.Plus all the people who got off on the plane(Kate and Co.)…Hurley in heaven said something to Ben that made me think they went through a lot we never saw…So…im just saying.

2. artur :D says:

amazing news!!!
    it’s time to catch up rest of the season 1 :D (i’ve stopped watching on episode 10)

3. AJ says:

BEST NEWS I’VE HEARD ALL DAY OMG

4. ElsieM says:

Yay! That’s fantastic! I’ve missed him.

5. Kat says:

Such awesome news!!!!

6. Amanda says:

Maybe I’ll continue to watch then. H5O’s season finale really put me off.

7. Tom says:

So does this mean McGarrett beats that murder charge for killing the governor? You know, I was really on the edge of my seat worrying about that one.

Now that we got Osama Bin Laden, is every television show now required to have an obligatory Seal on the cast? It’s kind of amusing, we’ll see how it plays out. FWIW, I think the writers are over-playing all these “mysteries” surrounding McGarrett’s parents. I’m already bored with that story line and it feels like they’re setting the stage for that to be the focus of every sweeps episode next season. Whatever happened to just telling a good story each week? Enough with the gimmicks.

• lainiek says:

McGarrett is a Navy Seal- was one before we got Bin Laden

• Becks says:

McGarrett was a navy seal in the show well before the Seals got bin laden. Apparently now ABC and NBC are rushing to produce shows with a navy seal in them lol. HFO did it way before seals were ‘cool’. (They’ve always been cool).

• Jeff says:

In the original series, Wo Fat was the recurring bad guy until the series finale, so I’d guess they’ll do the same here. And since Wo Fat seems to be behind Steve’s parent’s murder, you may be disappointed.

8. Kic says:

Awesome! Can’t wait!

9. Steph says:

Awesome news! The second season of Five-0 is going to be huge!

10. alavenia says:

WOW! Great news!

11. Cy says:

Who’s playing the new governor?

12. Amy says:

Bleh
    The plot sounds boring.
    Lost was a great show. H50 is crap.

13. darmeen says:

@Tom…I do believe that McGarrett was a Navy Seal (which is why O’Quinn’s character trained him at Coronado) So having a Seal (or a couple for that matter) isn’t something done because OBL was killed.

14. Justin says:

What a nonsense headline.

15. lainiek says:

Now, if we could just get Josh Holloway on the show as well, I would be complete!

16. qeee says:

Awesome NEWS.

17. Patchi says:

Awesome great reunion love both actors can’t wait for next season.

18. Melissa says:

Excellent news!!!

19. Ashley says:

Fantastic! I can totally see Terry O’Quinn creating a dynamic character that helped shape Steve McGarrett. Might I suggest, if they can’t bring Reiko Aylesworth back, that the next “Lost” alum they procure be the lovely and talented Yunjin Kim as a friend for Grace Park’s Kono and/or love interest for Daniel Dae Kim’s Chin Ho Kelly?

20. Thom says:

This is great news. I can’t wait

21. Gina says:

CBS knows now Hawaii 50 is not the new Lost. And it will never be. Lost was an amazing show that was a worldwide megahit. Hawaii 50 is a mediocre show underperforming here and internationally. Australia, New Zealand…
    Having another Lost actor as a recurrent character, won’t make this dud a better show.
    It is even crashed by Castle.

• Becks says:

It beat Castle for overall viewers and demo – quite a bit for demo – for the season overall. It is hardly a dud. Most watched new drama for demo for the last season. And one of the most watched ten pm shows. And it’s a fun show. Anyway Castle is great too. I watch both. Why the hate?

• Kat says:

I envy people who have enough time in the day to do nothing more than post on articles about shows they hate with incorrect “facts”.

22. Bella says:

I watched the pilot and wasn’t impressed, so watched Castle instead. I love Terry O’Quinn, though, and he would make a great addition to any cast. With him coming on board, I’ll DVR the show, at least.

23. Amy says:

I think it is awesome!! The thought of a mini-reunion reminds me of how much I miss LOST. Will still probably miss the show for years to come. I enjoy Hawaii 5-0. While it may not be the most brilliant show on, it is certainly entertaining and has a fabulous cast (LOST, BSG, Scott Caan!), and here’s hoping with the addition of Terry O’Quinn and the cliff hangers from the end of the season make the show darker and more intriguing.

24. Suzy says:

This is great news. I love this guy. And i love me HFO so this is just fantastical all round. THe finale of HFO was one of the best I’ve ever seen. And I can’t wait to see what happens next year.

Now I’ve even more reason to watch. Whoooop!

25. heather_kaye says:

So sad that Hallelujah didn’t get picked up, but will definitely add 5-0 to my DVR list next season!

26. Doug-H says:

I hope the character is more than a Lt. Commander… pretty low rank for someone from the Vietnam era…. My guess is that he’s retired and has been for at least 20 years since he would have been sent off by now…

27. pakegler says:

Who knew the CAG (JAG) was a SEAL????

28. kiley says:

Recurring character in H50, such as the Governor or Catherine, probably means you will see him about 5 minutes total next season. Enjoy!!!

29. VentusAstrum says:

This is awesome news! I’d be happy to see Terry pop up on his own show, but being back with DDK is even more awesome! I hope his scenes are going to be truly substantial. He’s such a wonderfully talented man, I don’t want to see his scenes go to waste since he’s only going to be “recurring”. Can’t wait to see him w/ Alex, but I hope he gets to interact w/ DDK, too!

30. Squee says:

Yay!! I can’t wait to see Terry O’Quinn again – haven’t seen him since Alias. Could never get into Lost – underacted and overplotted in my opinion (the only one that counts in my house). I love H50 and hope it hits its stride this year.

31. Olivia says:

Now they just need to bring Reiko back!

32. susanmarie says:

Terry is a great addition to the cast. He LOOKS the role of a Navy Seal veteran plus his talent as an actor–H 5-0 couldn’t do better.

33. LeMyrn says:

Always like seeing old friends reunite. They should get Evangeline Lily, too. Lost in Hawaii 5 O. Anyway, I’m sure it will be some interesting episodes.

34. O says:

SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!!

35. Dannisgirl says:

This is great news. Really great. And they’re bringing in a new female too allegedly. So this could get interesting. I love the team on HFO. I think they’re the best cast on tv. I just hope the writing improves next season. And I hope they give Terry a susbstantial role.

They’ve had some very great actors have only two minutes of screen time. They need to make sure he has a lot more. Because he is very good.

Oh and the writers need to sort out the mess with Danny and his wife, they’ve messed with my Danno.

And props, huge props to Alex O who made me cry in the finale he was that amazing in his scene with the Governor. When the show first started I thought he was a bit wooden. He’s not, the writers just had to give him drama to work with. I am really impressed by him as an actor now.

36. Assasscin says:

I want to find out what happened to the Terry and Michael Emerson retired hitman show that was supposed to have gotten the green light. I really liked that Terry and Michael were real life friends that wanted to work together. Now you never hear about that. Was there a falling out? What is going on?

That said, I WILL watch H50 now… last season I did not watch. But with Quinn in it, it just got a whole lot more interesting.

37. xo says:

If H50 really wants to wow its fans with a reunion, bring in Sophia Myles as a love interest for Alex. Now that is some TV I will really watch!!!

I miss Moonlight. Mick St. John & Beth Turner FOREVER!!

38. michlela says:

je suis tout à fait d’accord vec xo pour le choix de sophia myles
    pour moi il n’y a pas d’autre intéret d’amour pour alex que sophia
    ils formaient vraiment un couple tellement en osmose qu’on a vraiment envie de les revoir ensemble!!!!!!!
    ils nous manquent trop c’était si beau moonlight !!nostalgie!!!!
    pour terry je suis tres contente car je suis moi aussi une fan de lost
    alex est un acteur génial et il mérite de réussir,je lui souhaite une bonne chance
    mais je veux aussi la meme chose pour sophia elle est géniale et si douce,tellement jolie!!!!

39. michlela says:

super tom!!!tu m’ a bien fait rire!!!!
    mais bien sur que ça peut etre sympa,la reunion de tous ceux que l’on a aimé dans d’autres séries!!!!
    d’ailleurs sawyer et kate étaient mes préférés,mais les autres étaient bien aussi
    mais j’aimerais quand meme sophia myles pour alex !!!!!
    c’est vraiment une fille super!!!!

40. Michaela says:

And that’s not all. In his free time he is going to give Alex some acting lessons.

• Terry says:

That’s a good one. I think Alex missed all his acting classes except the ones explaining how to take off his shirt.
      Watch out Scott!! U may get some competition. LOL.

• acklesgirl says:

Go watch Alex in Mary Bryant (he got nominated for two of the Aus versions of the Emmy’s for that role and outshone Sam Neil and others) and then make snide remarks. Oh and Alex plays Steve as stoic. That is how the character is written. Scott himself has said Alex has the harder job.

Alex in real life is a very expressive, animated person and to be so locked down and unexpressive is not him, that’s called acting. I love Scott in this but Scott always plays the similar roles. Alex is so different that my husband stil doesn’t know it is the same guy from Mary Bryant and Moonlight.

So take your silly, nasty sniping and go elsewhere. And I agree, bring in Sophia Myles or even better, Jason Dohring!

• jenny says:

You have obviously not seen any of Scott’s movie roles. He does not play similar roles. Just watch “Mercy” and you will know what I’m talking about. I think you may him confused with Alex’s acting. Be thankful he is on H50, because with him, this show would have been cancelled after the first episode!

• Scott's fan says:

I thought the movie “Mercy” was one of the best movies I’ve seen. It was so emotional and Scott played the part so well I wanted to hug him and take away his pain!! On the other hand Alex’s movie “Feed” was so disturbing!!!!

• Ann says:

Well, Hawaii 50 is losing the time slot week after week on Australia to The Mentalist and Castle .So seems to me Australia was not as impressed as you were with that movie you mentioned. Maybe his shirt was on all the time. :)
          Alex looks constipated in all he does.
          That Moonlight show was awful because of him. He was even able to make a Vamp show tank!

• Becks says:

Alex is actually a classically trained actor. He is an Australian so his accent can sometimes mean he sounds a bit slower in his delivery but when it comes to showing emotion he is second to none.

Taking off his shirt is just an added bonus as far as I’m concerned.

• Kiley says:

Love Scott! He is the best part of H50 IMO!

• Ally says:

Agree.
          Why do you think Scott and DDKim were the ones submitted for an Emmy nomination instead of Alex? You think they forgot? Or that Alex didn’t want his name there? All actors would die for an Emmy Nomination.
          CBS knows Scott is the one saving the show each week. And the guest stars. That’s why they need so many guest stars. There is only so much Scott can do. He sure deserves that Emmy.

• Sugarysalt says:

You’re so funny. Alex out acted every one in that show in the finale. I’ve yet to see Scott or DDK give real emotion like Alex did when he found out the governor was plotting against him. People like you must have miserable lives to spend your time being nasty on boards about people or shows you don’t like. Kind of pathetic.

• Gina says:

And Alex’ s grannies are here!!!
        Woman over 60 drooling over a 35 year old man is gross.
        Alex sucked in all his previous roles, the Vamp show included. All CBS tried with him tanked. Hawaii got a second season because of Scott.

• Kiley says:

Thank you Gina for saying that. I too believe H50 got a second season because of Scott. Don’t get me wrong, I love the show and cast, but Scott really makes this show! Without him, the show would not have lasted another season.

• Mandy says:

Just because I am 67 years old that doesn’t mean I am dead. Yes, all my Alex”s fans friends are over 60, so what? Never heard Alex complaining about it.
            He may not get an Emmy anytime soon .I don’t care. He is gorgeous, sexy and totally hot!!!!!!!!!
            I don’t care much about Terry in the show. As long as I have Alex shirtless each week, I am in!!!!!
            You go Alex ! Mandy loves u !!!!

41. michlela says:

alex est un acteur formidable!!!les gens devraient juste se rendre compte qu’il est dans le role qu’on lui demande de jouer!!!!
    mais de toute façon,ce n’est pas grave car ila de nombeux fans qui l’aiment vraiment et qui l’ont vu jouer d’autres roles avant de le juger!!!
    moi il me convient parfaitement et je voudrais juste voir sophia a ses cotes car ils sont vraiment magiques ensemble!!!

42. Cece says:

This sounds like his role as Admiral “CAG” Boone on JAG. He was great in it, he’s perfect for that mentor-like role. I can’t wait.

43. julia says:

We deleted this show from our dvr list. It is so boring. Sad to see Terry here. He should had gone to Game of Thrones or another quality show. Hawaii is total crap.And CBS thought they had the new NCSI, LOL. I was not surprised Castle crashed Hawaii on the finale.
    Terry, man , this is NOT Lost,Get out from there. LOL.

44. tom says:

I am big fan of lost . nice to see them back ….

45. Jeff says:

I am a big fan of Terry O’Quinn, and I was a big fan of Lost…in the first two years, before the show clearly “lost” its way. The ony person who kept me watching after that was O’Quinn, but in the end, even he couldn’t save the bad writing and nowhere direction of the show. I am glad to see he is starting fresh and new, but I would love to see him star in his own show someday.

46. Adam says:

Terry should had played as Walter White on the show Breaking Bad, couldn’t be a role more perfect for him. Breaking Bad is about a regular ‘good’ guy (like original john locke)chemistry teacher who get’s lung cancer (loses his hair ‘like John Locke) and decides to start cooking and selling meth to major kingpins so that his family will money to fall back on. Bryan Cranston did a great job, but it was a total Terry O’quinn role. Again though, Bryan Cranston did great. I am currently watching the show through netflix and can’t help but think, ‘this should have been played by John Locke ‘Terry O’quinn.’

47. Adam says:

Either that (my above post), or Bryan Cranston should have played John Locke on Lost. haha. Regardless, they both would have done great, but it would have been awesome if the two roles were played by the same person. Just bored thinking out loud here

48. Adam says:

.. then again maybe not. Just finished the second season of Breaking Bad, turning into too much drama. The show had a good start and I could have seen it only getting better, but it’s not. It’s getting annoyingly over dramatized. Family-lies and overdoses, who wants to see that crap? Any show these two arctors are in need to good all the way through, not stupid half-way in.

49. Cracking piece of writing..