Glee Boss Ryan Murphy: 'Amazing Stories' Coming for Mercedes, Mike, Tina, and Sue

Glee co-creator and executive producer Ryan Murphy used to worry about how fans would react to the introduction of new characters to the show’s merry band of musical high-school outcasts. But as he plans Season 3 of Fox’s smash hit — including a long-envisioned “endgame,” a graduation strategy for New Directions’ senior classmen, and a fresh crop of young talent (including one warbler from his new Oxygen reality series The Glee Project) — Murphy says he’s put those worries behind him. “It’s all about the stories and characters,” says Murphy. “It’s our job to find new [stars] that people will love, but I never feel like we’re replacing anybody. The [core] characters are irreplaceable.” With that philosophy in mind, here’s what Murphy says you can expect from Season 3:

Character Will Trump Razzle-Dazzle and Bold-Faced Guest Stars | “Season 2 was definitely about bigger, better, flashier,” says Murphy. “And I loved so much about Season 2. I loved the Gwyneth story. I loved the bullying story. Chris Colfer and Darren Criss did an amazing job, as did Max Adler. But Season 3 we decided is going to be character, character, character.” How will that manifest itself? For starters, there’ll be only one musical tribute episode — though it’ll be a biggie. “It’s one I’ve been working on for two years — it took forever to clear — with a really big artist,” Murphy teases. Oh, and don’t expect a parade of Oscar winners, pop divas, and Broadway vets to populate the McKinley High hallways. “We’re not going to have any guest stars,” says Murphy. “And we’re going to do fewer songs.”

New Directions’ Unsung Heroes Are About to Start Singing | “We’re writing stuff this year for [characters] who haven’t had those big stories,” says the exec producer. “We have an amazing Mercedes story. We have a great Mike and Tina story. They’re fascinating. I love them as performers and it’s time they get their due. Also, Matt Morrison last year didn’t really have the big, huge arc he had in Season 1, but he will in the upcoming season.”

A Change Is Gonna Come for Sue Sylvester — Personally and Professionally | “We have an amazing 20-episode arc for Jane Lynch that’s quite fantastic,” says Murphy, and it will partly focus on her character’s campaign for Congress. “We’ve decided it’s a little tired for Sue to be constantly trying to destroy the glee club. We did that, and we did that well. But now it’s time for Sue to stop picking on the glee club and time for her to start picking on the country,” Murphy says with a laugh. What’s more, Our Lady of Track Suits will also be involved in some romantic intrigue. “One thing I’m looking for is someone for Sue Sylvester to love. Who is that person — man or woman? Who is man enough to love Sue Sylvester? That’s an interesting idea,” Murphy adds. “Jane did that Rod Remington romantic arc so well, so it’s something I’ve always wanted to find for her. How would Sue date? I’m interested in that.”

Blaine, Sam, and Lauren Are in Limbo…Till at Least Next Week Anyway | Murphy says no decision has been made regarding the status for Darren Criss (Blaine), Chord Overstreet (Sam), or Ashley Fink (Lauren). “We’ve just started to write [the new season], so I don’t know who we’re bringing back or who we’re letting go. We’ll be deciding that in the next week or so,” says Murphy. “I don’t think of it as coming down to the wire, I just look at it as, ‘Okay, what are the stories?’ That’s what it’s about for me next season.”

Murphy Has Been Planning the Season 3 Endgame for Three Years Now | “We now have a writing staff of nine people, and they’re all great, heavy hitters,” boasts Murphy. As a result, he and co-creator Brad Falchuk have decided to point the show toward the exact endgame Murphy envisioned when he first pitched Glee more than three years ago. To that end…

Don’t Look for the McKinley Class of 2012 to Roam the School’s Hallways Come Sept. 2012, Unless… | Murphy says he was shocked that his recent interview with Ryan Seacrest — during which he reiterated his plans to have McKinley’s seniors get their caps and gowns by season’s end – got such widespread pickup, seeing how he’s made his plan public for the last year. “The show to me is about the way you express yourself as you start to move out into the world as a fresh, young person. Do we really want to have an eight-year senior?” he asks. “The only way somebody could stay on the show is if they flunk, and that is always a possibility. I think Brittany is pulling straight Fs.” Asked if he might change course and brainstorm some last-minute plot twists that would allow, for example, Puck to score a gig as an assistant football coach at McKinley, Murphy offers a firm “No.”

Then Again, Don’t Assume Some of Your Favorite New Directions Members Won’t Resurface in a Spinoff Series | Presented with the concept of Rachel and Kurt and a few of their pals spearheading a new hour on Fox about a group of young artists who head to New York City to pursue their musical theater dreams, Murphy doesn’t immediately shoot it down. “It’s an interesting idea,” he says. “The questions are ‘How would we do it? And when would we do it?’ It would have to be something I would talk about to Peter Rice and Kevin Reilly and Dana Walden and Gary Newman. What we’re trying to do now — maybe those discussions will happen around December — we’re just now trying to do the first 10 episodes.” Not that Murphy’s brain hasn’t dabbled with a flash-forward to Rachel’s future. “I keep saying that with the new Funny Girl revival, they should just say it’s Rachel Berry in Funny Girl — get Lea to do that, but as Rachel Berry. It would be a crowd-pleaser.”

What do you think of Murphy’s plans for Season 3? Anything strike you as genius or scary? Sound off below, and for all the Glee news you need to get you through the summer, follow us on Twitter @TVLineNews!

1. Ribac says:

I didn’t forget that mr. Murphy has it’s law (pun intended) of telling a lot of things and doing Monty Phyton maneuver: something nobody expected! So yeah, I’m sticking through season 3 because I love original cast, but beyond that Ryan didn’t invest too much effort to make younger characters interesting. And after all shows explore beginning storylines, characters are the thing that make us watch it further, if they are developed properly. But it looks that RM don’t know that or just want to experiment… in a bad way…

2. Fran says:

ok i need Lauren, Blaine and Sam on the next Season and GUEST STARS…!! More Guest Stars…that’s all i ask for…and a Samchel story.!! and Marti Noxon writing for glee is a great new!!

• Tina says:

WHY WOULD U WANT MORE GUEST STARS? That is the reason why Glee sucked in season 2, Paltrow was the worst part of glee and I hope I never see her character there again.

3. nataly says:

it’s a shame to see this awesome show with amazing actors in it being handled by such a mediocre person like Ryan Murphy. Does he really expect fans to stick over after replacing the main characters of the show? good luck Ryan!

4. Anna says:

Get rid of Blaine!! He’s the most boring character on earth.

• Lily says:

Agree but it has to make sense… plane crash… memory loss… becoming straight or maybe Blaine was bi after all…

5. Sami says:

Alright, can I just say it? Blaine’s family? I would really like to see his unsupportive father because that could be interesting. Also, I can imagine him with a little sister. I hope he is a big part of season 3 because he was definitely my favorite part of season 2.

6. Victoria says:

No one actually thinks Darren and Chord aren’t returning next season.They’re both to important to the main storyline.If Ashley left I wouldn’t be surprised.Her character is unpopular,the actress can’t sing,and she doesn’t have much impact on the show other than being Puck’s girlfriend.

I’m really interested in Max Adler’s return though.I really want to see Dave’s redemption occur and a possible Klainofsky love triangle If we’re lucky.

7. factionb says:

Glee needs Max Adler. He brings so much quality to the show!
    Dave has been the best developed character in S2, along with Kurt and Santana. And Dave & Max have done A LOT for people who were struggling, or were unable to forgive, or to change. Glee needs redemption to keep growing up, and such a good actor like Max deserves some sweet screen time.

8. deb says:

I hope they do more on the Karofsky storyline. Max Adler is an amazing actor, and it would be a shame if they wasted that talent. They could do so much with it. Dave still needs to come out so his story is not finished. I know some things get dropped but I hope this one doesn’t.

9. Yuri says:

I really want to see more Max Adler in Season 3 :)

10. Megan says:

They better keep Max Adler. He is one of the best actors on the show and his characters story is too important to drop. Just get rid of Lauren and put Dave in glee club. And I could care less about Darren …he stole valuable story and song time from the other characters…he can still be Kurts boyfriend without actually being on the show all the time.

11. Elizabeth says:

I’d like to see more Max Adler! I can’t wait to see what happens to Dave. His storyline really ought to go into Season 3.

12. Stephanie says:

Glee without Sam, Blaine, and Lauren…not. They have become a part of the mystic that is Glee. And the songs for the most part expressed the feelings of the characters, they should be in just not the whole show. I would love a spinoff with Kurt and Blaine trying to make it in NY.

13. kimberly johnson says:

get rid of lauren and sam i can do without but we need blaine.Darren Criss made you alot of money i hope you won’t be that stupid and get rid of him what do think that is going to do to kurt he finaly found someone who loves him and that he love too i thought you cared about chris why would you give him a boyfriend than take him away.

14. Admin says:

Well, I hope they keep Sam because i was interested in the Sam/Mercedes coupling that was hinted at in the season finale, and I really like the Kurt/Blaine pairing too. Lauren as a character doesn’t work as well for me – she’s to grating a character.

15. Ray says:

I am sick of this. Ryan Murphy, you are not the star of Glee. Quit doing weekly interviews like you are God of McKinley High. First you say you have a plan to run the most popular characters out of town. The fans say how much they hate that idea. So then you act like a spin-off is a 1 in a 100 chance. The majority of the 10,000,000 that watch come back for the characters already there. No offense, Will and Sue are great but can not carry this show alone. Get over yourself and try not to ruin this show like you did Popular and eventually Nip/Tuck. BTW, are you serious with The Glee Project? Don’t get me started.

• North of Lost In Mid America says:

Um… Actually as Executive Producer/Creature and Writer of Glee he is sorta the God of McKinley High. AND it is a shame that his Nip/Tuck was only able to make it to SIX seasons (do you know how rare that is?). I may be in the minority but I come back not only for the characters but for the great story. He made us love the ones that are there now; who’s to say we won’t love a new group just as well?

• blackrising says:

..Great story? Are we watching the same show?

I do, however, agree with you on that last bit. I think a new group is not necessarily a bad thing and we might grow to love them just as much as we love our current Glee Clubbers.

16. Morgan says:

All of this actually sounds kind of great (minus the idea of possibly removing any of our beloved characters because they ‘don’t fit right now’?). If only what Ryan says actually happens on the show.
    I would love for less guest stars and newcomers. And I actually enjoyed less Will last season, I am not a fan of him personally, but once again what Ryan says rarely takes place. There was the Anne Hathaway lesbian aunt, Javier Bardem, J.Lo, and also there’s been talk of finding a Susan Boyle/Adele for season three and now he’s saying fewer to no guests? Hmmm… We need a lie detector with this man in interviews :P

17. blech says:

If they don’t have more of the janitor, I will not watch the show!

If they eliminate Figgin’s secretary, I am not gonna watch the show!

Sense of entitlement meet the Glee fandom.

18. Emily says:

Love him. Can’t wait for Season 3.

19. Princess Adora says:

PLEASE keep Darren Criss.
    I like that there will be fewer tribute episodes.
    I DON’T like that he said there will be fewer songs.
    And I wish they weren’t going to do a season 4. Americans always want their shows to go on for decades. Sometimes 2 or 3 years is all that’s needed to tell a great story. Glee is such a phenomenal show, I’d just hate for it to overstay it’s welcome. There’s no shame in wrapping up a show before it goes stale.

20. Miranda says:

I wantz Brittana and I wantz it now!

21. Josephine says:

All I want is Chris Colfer (Kurt) if u hav Kurt and don’t lik exclude him lik in season 1 where he barely showed up at all then I will b happy.

22. evilvillain says:

I desire more Dave. THE PIRATES DEMAND IT

23. Rinzi says:

Hoping to see more of Dave Karofsky in season three! I just want him to be happy with who he is.

And as for the new cast after the current characters graduate: I’ll just have to wait and see. If nothing else, we can take Blaine and Sam’s popularity as proof that the writers are perfectly capable of introducing new characters who literally make the show for some people.

24. Jared says:

As devastating as it is to hear about his planned departure for leads ‘Rachel’ and ‘Finn’, if he doesn’t bring back ‘Sam’ and ‘Blaine’ I have to say I will lose ALL faith and love in the show and Ryan Murphy! PERIOD!

25. renata says:

when lea and chris leave i’m done with glee, they are what make glee amazing to me.

26. Maria says:

If they don’t bring back Darren Criss that will be the biggest mistake and biggest regret Ryan Murphy will ever experience in his life. I mean Darren Criss changed the show and made it better which I didn’t think was possible because I loved it so much before but my love became obsession after Blaine came on. Not to mention the record sales the guy is a freaking goldmine! There should be no thinking needed it should be a done deal! I also want Chord Oversteet to come back but I’d settle for just Darren if need be.

• Sophie says:

Are you 13 years old? Because you sure sound like one.

• Yikes says:

Hyperbolic much? Darren Criss is a sub-par actor and an above average singer. His songs sold well but it didn’t outsell the highest selling Glee songs. At best all he has to offer is that he’s a reasonably attractive straight male who plays gay on TV making annoying, immature fan girls cream their pants because unlike the other main gay guy on the show, they think in their deluded little minds they actually have a chance with him. He’s not that special; he improved nothing on the show and I would argue actually forced it to stay on a tangent that harmed the overall story. Get over it and grow up in the meanwhile.

27. Jenny says:

I actually want real character development and not just trying to make all the fans and fanbases happy. I felt a lot of this season was about making fans happy and not actually telling a good story. For example, I actually liked the character of Blaine (honestly more than Kurt). But it got to a point that they were giving the Warblers a song just to have a reason to have Blaine on screen.

28. Rebecca says:

They’d be complete fools to let Darren and Chord go. What great additions to the show and I can’t imagine Kurt without Blaine.

29. Captain says:

I have to give it to him, he’s in the right direction. I’m happy he realizes some of the biggest problems with Season 2 (guest stars, tribute episodes, poor song choice) and is working to change that. It’s awesome that he’s giving some of the little-seen Glee characters (Mercedes, Tina and Mike) the screen time they deserve but I hope that he still gives Rachel, Brittany and Santana a lot to do. The only thing that worries me is the “less songs” comment. He scaled back on songs last year and that was fine but if he keeps going at this pace we’ll be at one song per episode. Lets remember why Glee is Glee. It’s ok to have 5 or 6 songs per episode as long as at least 4 of those songs have genuine purpose to the story arcs or characters.

30. Kris says:

Anyone worried about the fate of Darren, Chord or Ashley should relax. There’s no way he’ll let any of them go. They are the characters that are going to take over Glee when the original cast graduates.

31. Hilary says:

I really hope we get more of Dave Karofsky’s storyline next season.

32. Karen says:

Phasing out Lauren and Sam would be good – although I do like the Sam/Mercedes arc. I think it’s time to write out Puck – I like the character, but he’s looking 30 years old not really credible for high school. Quinn mentioned she was going to transfer to another school – I like that idea, make room for another character that could be more musical competition for Rachel. Kurt’s story line has been my favorite, and I’d like to see Blaine’s character stick around. I’d like a new character to be Santana’s love interest (maybe some jock-type female character). I’m also liking Cameron on the Glee Project, I would think he’d be an interesting character.

33. Tammy Medley says:

In Season 3, I would be thrilled to see Kurt and Dave start the afore mentioned PFLAG Chapter and for Kurt and Dave’s blossoming relationship to slowly become closer in doing so. I also think the amazing acting chemistry between the mega talented actors Chris Colfer and Max Adler just sizzle on the screen no matter the content of their storylines; I am always kept on the edge of my seat just enjoying their awe-inspiring performances! I also feel it would be exciting to see Kurt and the other members of New Directions encouraging Dave to join the Glee Club, (because I REALLY, REALLY want to hear Max sing!) and to gradually come to a place where he not only FINALLY accepts himself, but he learns how to help others to do the same. I also feel a brief H.S. Kurt/Dave/ Blaine love triangle would be intertesting as well, and by really getting to know Dave, Kurt realizes that Blaine makes a better “friend” than boyfriend. However, if there IS a future NY spinoff, I would love to see Dave and Kurt deepen their feelings for each other in HS, and join Rachel and Finn and Blaine in finding their individual dreams in the Big Apple. I do not know why everyone assumes Finn would opt to stay in Lima. If he got a NY College football scholarship, I feel he WOULD leave Ohio. Dave really loves hockey, so, who’s to say he could not get a hockey scholarship in NY? Kurt and Rachel BELONG in NY so that is a given. I trust Ryan and his crew to give us fans an amazing Season 3! Whatever comes after will just be icing on the Glee cake! No matter how things unfold in the new Season, I simply REFUSE to say anything negative about the BEST SHOW to ever EVER grace my TV screen…I will continue to support this franchise in any and all ways I can. I am SO excited about the GLEE! 3-D Movie, and the upcoming release of Season 2 Part 2, and Glee! returning to my TV screen. I have every CD, and (thus far) every DVD too. Thank you Ryan and Co. for giving the world a new view of music, a feeling and substance of tangible hope potrayed by your talented and awesome cast of actors that show storylines for an uplifting change for the betterment of mankind, and of course, GLEE!

• S says:

Kurtofsky? oh honey, no… but keep writing fanfiction, you do have a livid imagination.

• Lily says:

Burt will try to keep Finn in Ohio so that Finn can take over his business… and stay close to him because no hope for Kurt who will for sure go to NY. As much as Kurtofsky seems interesting… it will not send a good message to the young TV viewers… (Sexual) violence is not romantic… But I do love the chemistry between the actors Chris Colfer and Max Aldler… much more than Chris Colfer and Darren Criss… sorry.

34. North of Lost In Mid America says:

I don’t understand the hate in these comments. If you don’t like Glee you’d probably NOT be reading this article – unless you really really hate it.

Yes, Ryan promised us some story lines that didn’t happen or got delayed last year. But look at what was going on at the time. We had several very much publicized LGBT youth suicides because of bullying. Ryan had once said that we would never see Kurt as a victim but he had the platform to bring bullying to the forefront. Yes, it made Kurt a victim but it also gave us a wonderful story line that gave us Blaine!

I will be sad to see the kids graduate, but I have confidence in Murphy and Company to make the show spectacular no matter what happens. They’ve only done one or two story lines that I didn’t totally enjoy (wasn’t a Holly or April fan, to be honest). But there were even great moments within those stories that I loved. As far as complaining about guest stars that we didn’t see… Schedules don’t always work, or story lines change.

I’ve loved the show for two year, even IF we only have one more year I’d be satisfied (hope we have more than that, though)

35. John says:

Songs are the MONEYMAKERS! You think they’d stop with that? I DON’T THINK SO!

DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING THEY SAY! IT ALL COULD CHANGE AT THE DROP OF A HAT!

BUT….EXPECT MORE GAY THEMES.

36. AnimeJune says:

I hope Max Adler returns – love him or hate him, Karofsky pulled in some fantastic character development in season 2 and they didn’t finish his story! You can’t end his story with him fleeing Prom in tears! They need to show him accepting himself as so many teens are struggling to do these days!

37. Whittles says:

I’m just hoping that having a writing staff will allow season three to be more consistent along the lines of the first half of season one. I don’t really want fewer songs, just better writing and song selections that are fully integrated with the storytelling.

38. Sarah says:

Have any Finchel scoops for me for season 3?

39. CC says:

Thank goodness no more guest stars or tributes. We need to focus on the regular cast members. Darren cannot go anywhere he was one of the breakout stars of season 2 and Klaine was the most interesting of S2.
    Spinoff, YES PLEASE. Kurt, Blaine, Finn and Rachel for sure.

40. iowagyrl says:

If the semi-talented underwhelming contestants on the Glee Project are the types of kids making the short list for the new cast I will not watch. Nor will anyone who is not a diehard gleek IMHO.

• Rinzi says:

I imagine they’ll go through a proper casting process for new regular characters. So they’ll be actual actors like the cast now, not contestants in some show thing that few people really care about.

41. AndyLuvr says:

Omigod. Lea Michele in “Funny Girl?” She’s terrible as Lea Michele or Rachel Berry. Let some other actress take on that role in the revival, not Michele. There are plenty of more talented girls suited for that role.

I’m surprised Ryan Murphy is noncommittal about Darren Criss, I must say.

42. Bere says:

It´s real? what happening with the mind of ryan murphy we only have to watch the videos of the glee tour and is obvious that everybody loves darren and the blaine character, i really hope that this is only publicity to the season 3 or a joke of ryan, and then darren chord and ashley continue in season 3.

43. Sophie says:

Thrilled to hear that they have decided to stop writing Sue into a corner. They wasted the talents of Jane Lynch for much of this season.

• Rinzi says:

Agreed. Sue was hilarious in season 1, but I could not stand her for most of season 2. I was disappointed with the writing, but maybe a new direction (is that a pun in this context?) for her character might be just what everyone needs. And maybe the new writers will help as well.

44. HD says:

I just want more Chris Colfer in Season 3 : Kurt is the only reason I watch “Glee”. More stories or a big story arc for Kurt would be the heaven for me.

• Lily says:

Naah… as much as I love Chris Colfer… they should put him more on the background and let him become the side kick of Mercedes … Rachel and Finn… And actually I like his friendship with Sam…so this can create some tension with Mercedes…

45. Cassie says:

Ah, so there’s gonna be some character/story development and continuity? I reckon they should have a ‘Quick’ reunion. Or at least some scenes where Dianna Agron and Mark Salling actually interact with each other. There was NONE of this in Season 2, and it almost seemed as if Quinn never had a baby and Puck told Quinn that he loved her at the end of Season 1. In Season 3, there should definitely be some sort of story for Puck and Quinn, or maybe even a Shelby and Beth reunion to make an interesting story.

• Lily says:

Quinn and Puck relationship should be burried…because I don’t think that Glee wants to glorify teen pregnancy…

• Lily says:

Puck told Quinn that he loved her at the end of Season 1 ? And no Puck /Quinn interaction in Season 2 ?? ooh oooh… deja vu…
      Blaine told Kurt that he loved him at the end of season 2.. okay… So what will happen in Season 3 with Klaine ? Kurt wakes up one morning and realized that Klaine was just a dream ? (e.g. Bobby in Dallas)…

46. tomeriko :) says:

I swear that if he’ll cut Blain of Glee I will cut his head!!

47. K says:

The only thing I really care about is Dave’s storyline. He’s the main reason why I’m still watching Glee. I’m so grateful for his storyline. He’s the most inspirational character in my opinion.

So please, give us more extremely talented Max Adler in season 3! :)
    (And please let him sing, that would be beyond awesome.)

48. O says:

I’m so happy for Mercedes and Mike/Tina storyline, but really disappointed to read about the rest! I can’t imagine Glee without Rachel, Finn, Puck, Sam… They’re the core of the show. Maybe the new characters will be as interesting and fun to watch as the main characters now, but I wouldn’t call the show Glee anymore.

49. Hannah says:

I just want more DAVE KAROFSKY/MAX ADLER! He’s the only reason I’m sticking around.

I like Darren but I’d prefer him to be out of the show pursuing his musical career. I think the Glee fandom would be populated by less screaming fangirls and more people interested in good storylines (like Karofsky’s one was this season: best storyline ever in the whole Glee)!

50. eli says: