SVU Scoop: David Conrad, Kevin Alejandro Among Five Finalists to Replace Chris Meloni

Law & Order: SVU is going younger with its new male lead.

Sources confirm that Dick Wolf and NBC have narrowed the search for an actor to replace departing leading man Chris Meloni to five candidates: David Conrad (Ghost Whisperer), Kevin Alejandro (True Blood, Southland), Michael Raymond-James (Terriers), Danny Pino (Cold Case) and Rhys Coiro (Entourage).

SVU No Longer Looking to Collar Jennifer Love Hewitt

The five gents are being flown to New York where they will test tomorrow opposite returning SVU star Mariska Hargitay.

Mariska Hargitay Laments Chris Meloni’s SVU Exit: ‘I Love Him and Will Miss Him Terribly’

For more details on this story, visit TVLine’s sister site Deadline.com.

Comments (145)

• Screwwwww all of those choices! Go the traditional law and order route and cast an OZ actor. Dean Winters, Lee Tergeson, JK Simmons, or Eamonn Walker.

Comment by Mike – June 20, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. I’d love Lee Tergeson to get the role. JK Simmons is already in a series. I’d also be happy to seen an actor from The Wire cast.

Comment by Snsetblaze – June 20, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If we can’t have Chris, then Danny or Kevin please?

Comment by Erin – June 20, 2011 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jennifer Love Hewitt won’t be “replacing” Mariska, unfortunatly, but David Conrad might replace Chris Meloni? Is it just me or isn’t it funny that the first 2 people thought to replace the SVU leads where a couple in Ghost Whisperer and could go back to be together if JLH was still in the running for replacing MH and if DC happens to replace CM!
    Turning SVU into GW, not a good idea! Although, I would like to see them together again!

Comment by sophie – June 20, 2011 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone that says Meloni can’t be replaced might as well get over it. He’s done and has already moved on. I’m sure he’s ready to do other things. I love him too but I understand the show needs to get some fresh blood pumped into it, literally. Mariska is essential in choosing which of these guys she will play against. Has to have that chemistry, though it obviously won’t be what she had with Meloni.
    It will be very interesting to see who’s chosen.

I’m a fan of both Kevin & Michael. They both have an edge that I like which would be interesting for the show. David is ruled out automatically for me because of his too close proximity to Jennifer Love Hewitt; Danny P. is a familiar face who would fit in well with the show overall I think. The Entourage guys I have no clue.

Comment by mad sab – June 20, 2011 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since Mariska isn’t going to be anybody’s partner in the second half of the season it doesn’t matter how well she tests with anybody. They need to be casting the new female lead at the same time. That’s the chemistry you need to worry about if you want the show to continue past season 13.

Comment by HGFM – June 21, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch SVU as much as I used to. Get Kevin Alejandro and I’ll put it back in my DVR que. I adored him on “Southland” and was so sad his character was killed off. He’s a great actor and super easy on the eyes. Great choice. Leads me to believe that they’ll also go younger with the actress that steps in for Mariska though. Hopefully not since I think Jennifer Beals is a great choice.

Comment by T – June 20, 2011 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Kevin Alejandro, but do not wanthim to leave True Blood. Looks like a bad sign for his character this season, though, huh?

Comment by Geo – June 21, 2011 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet if they bring in a person like Denzel, the ratings would be off teh chain! He would probably only command what, maybe 1 mill an eposide and I dont think he has any movies lined up…. bring in Denzel!!

Comment by Philly's Finest – June 21, 2011 01:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin Alejandro? But what about the character of Jesus on True Blood?!

Comment by Liz – June 21, 2011 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Meloni is probably gonna kill the whole show! I want him to stay! But maybe Danny Pino could give it a shot

Comment by Jenn f – June 21, 2011 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I’d say David Conrad (‘Ghost Whisperer’) or Danny Pino (‘Cold Case’) with a little preference for Pino, who was good especially in very emotional scenes when he played in Cold Case.

As for Hargitay’s replacement after 13 episodes, Jennifer Beals would an excellent choice especially since the end of Chicago Code where she played a strong boss with a quite troubled personal life.

And for the ADA, why not a return of Casey Novak/Diane Neal, as seeing as she can practice law again OR better, Alex Cabot/Stephanie March!

Comment by Géraldine – June 21, 2011 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My only choice is Chris Meloni. But I will keep watching until Marishka leaves. The show wont be the same after the main two actors are gone.

Comment by raiza – June 21, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin Alejandro or Rhys Coiro are my picks.
    I would love to see Alejandro on my TV again every week. I have missed him since his characters death on Southland.

Comment by Mandy – June 21, 2011 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What does it matter? No one’s gonna be watching SVU without Meloni anyway.

Comment by Emily – June 21, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seeing Michael Raymond-James on that list reminds me how much I miss Terriers. :(

Comment by Todd – June 21, 2011 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin Alejandro is the only actor who, if he takes Chris Meloni’s place, will definitely make me forget Eliot Stabler!!! After he was killed off in Southland, I’ve missed Alejandro and wished that he would find a place on a show I watch regularly. Go Kevin!!!

Comment by Susola – June 21, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Raymond-James is a close second. Funny how both he and Kevin Alejandro were on True Blood!

Comment by Susola – June 21, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • would it be totally crazy to ask for wentworth millers character to come back? that would be interesting too and his story line isn’t resolved yet

Comment by Sabine – June 21, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shot in the dark but does anyone remember when broadway actor Craig Bierko teamed up with Mariska for an episode? I thought they worked really well together and there was a good vibe between them. Plus he was a pretty tough cop. I don’t think they should put a Stabler carbon copy in there but he was the only outsider I liked seeing her work with. I am still trying to decide if I am going to watch SVU without Stabler anyway…

Comment by Deena – June 21, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Conrad NEEDS to be on a tv show. I don’t watch SVU but I would if he were on it. I would watch that man read the phone book!!

Comment by spikesgrl – June 21, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course Meloni can’t be replaced. That said, someone new can come in and create their OWN character. As for who that someone new should be? David Conrad, hands down. He’s a fantastic actor – GW didn’t showcase his acting chops at ALL. He did a great job on CSI Miami, and he is a wonderful theater actor as well (Burn This being a particular favorite of mine). The man can do gritty; I just hope they give him the chance.

Comment by Michelle – June 21, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t they already say Jennifer Love Hewitt was coming on? How could they hire David Conrad? BOTH from Ghost Whisperer..it just would seem weird

Comment by zoot – June 21, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you had read the article you would have seen they dropped the idea of Jennifer Love Hewitt being on the show.

Comment by HGFM – June 21, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry. That was a different article. However Jennifer Love Hewitt is still no longer being considered for a regular role on SVU.

Comment by HGFM – June 21, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love David Conrad but if they pick him will they still have Jennifer Love Hewitt on the show?

Comment by Kelly – June 21, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think the same but i will love it if there sjlh & dc in the show togheter again

Comment by karen – June 23, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually think that this is a great pool of actors to chose from. I don’t know the work of Coiro and Raymond-James but Danny Pino has done a fabulous job on Cold Case, David Conrad is able to play very ambiguous characters (Roswell and Ghost whisperer) and Kevin Alejandro was just as tremendous on Southland as the rest of his castmates. I’d be lucky with any one of those.

Comment by kate'shomesick13 – June 21, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say put all five guys in a brand new show and I’ll watch that!

Comment by melly – June 21, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • REALLY good idea. I’d second that!

Comment by kate'shomesick13 – June 22, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love for Michael to get it. He just played the bad guy in what I think was the second to last episode of this season (if not the last). However they can cut his hair and dress him up and most won’t even notice. I agree that he’d bring more personality, and more of the “am I decent or am I a rule breaker?” to that partner role like stabler did.

Comment by Megan – June 21, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VOTE 4 KEVIN

Comment by Cash Figueroa – June 21, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEVIN ALEJANDRO ALL DAY LONG!

Comment by erin flynm – June 21, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin Alejandro all the way! He is super talented!

Comment by Arsen Vasquez – June 21, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin Alejandro is the sexiest man alive I wld vote 4 him 2 be president!

Comment by Juliet Lomas – June 21, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m for David to be cast as CM’s replacement, followed by Danny, then Kevin.

Comment by zacharyjm – June 21, 2011 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think that mariska and chris are the show, without one there isnt the other that chemistry they have are non replaceable .,i honestly dont know what dick wolf is thinking.he cant expect to have svu without mariska AND chris. i youst to think the worst thing they could do was cancel the show and now i kinda think that that is the best thing they could do while their ahead so they dont completely ruin it.,he cant expect it to do better then it has over the past 12 seasons their IS a reason it has lasted so long i think the other guys are wonderful actors and are so great at what they have played on but they cant replace someone who has been on the show the whole time

Comment by marley – June 22, 2011 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin Alijandro

Comment by AS – June 22, 2011 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want them to bring Erik Palladino back to be Benson’s new partner. He played a detective a few years ago and is closer in age to Benson, but this might not be that big of a deal since Benson is scaling back her replacement will probably be younger as well.

Comment by Brandon – June 22, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be great to see Kevin Alejandro in another lead role. His time has come!

Comment by Kerry Bailey – June 22, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think david conrad hes perfect beside he even look like meloni!!

Comment by karen – June 23, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Chris Meloni so the only way that I will watch it again is if that beautiful Kevin Alejandro gets the job. He is soooo gorgeous! I loved him on Southland and was really upset that he got killed off because of True Blood. He should be named the sexiest man of 2011. OMG!

Comment by Lisa – June 26, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If there’s no Meloni, there’s no SVU. Elliot and Olivia ARE SVU, they can’t be replaced. I won’t be watching.

Comment by Coffy – June 26, 2011 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin Alejandro is my choice. He is a very good actor and he would be an excellent addition to the cast. I have seen the other candidate in other shows but my choice is Kevin Alejandro
    to replace Chris Meloni.

Comment by Inday Penaloza – June 27, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooo totally not fair to replace Christopher Meloniii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Coco – July 14, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would absolutely watch if David Conrad was on. I love, love, love him!

Comment by Brandi – August 30, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Kevin A. to stay in True Blood, PLEASE!!!

Comment by Samantha – August 30, 2011 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They definitely need a younger actor with hair. The Bald Eagle was so unappealing to look at.

Comment by gloria – August 31, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Kevin Alejandro for sure is the BEST actor!I’m so glad somebody else feels this way.he was funny to boot! Oh, and he’s sexy in a way that’s unexpected. He’s got ‘it’, and his acting is amazing. More people need to discover this actor and I truly hope that he can get an opportunity like being on this show.OMG! Kevin Alejandro would be awesome! He was FREAKING AMAZING in Southland and I was devastated to see him leave that show. I love him on True Blood as Jesus too, so that would be my only reason why I wouldn’t want him to be cast in SVU.
    But I’ll still miss Christopher Meloni.

Comment by Maxgo66 – October 10, 2011 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post