Comic-Con

FX's Powers Pilot Casts Lucy Punch as Deena

FX’s pilot adaptation of the Powers graphic novels is taking shape with the casting of one of its lead roles.

Lucy Punch, whose last major TV foray was the CBS comedy The Class, has landed the female lead, playing homicide detective Deena Pilgrim, our sister site Deadline reports. Since being part of The Class, Punch has largely focused on film roles, including parts in Dinner for Shmucks and the upcoming Bad Teacher.

Powers follows two detectives, Pilgrim and the yet-to-be-cast Christian Walker, who are tasked with investigating homicide cases involving people with superpowers.

FX Powers Up Casting: Who Should Cop Roles?

When the FX pilot was first announced, fans were quick to dreamcast Deena with Battlestar badass Katee Sackhoff, but instead went on to book a role on the A&E pilot Longmire. Other possibles bandied about included Brea Grant (Heroes), Allison Mack (Smallville) and Kristen Bell (who is set to star in the new Showtime series House of Lies).

Now we move onto the none-too-small job of casting Walker. Kyle Chandler was one candidate hoisted up the flagpole, but he reportedly took a pass. Holt McCallany (Lights Out), Tahmoh Penikett (Battlestar Galactica) and Owain Yeoman (who is currently on The Mentalist) are among the names that landed on assorted fans’ wish lists.

1. Ace says:

I would love to see Tahmoh on my tv again! I’ve been missing him since Dollhouse ended.

• bhm1304 says:

He had one scene in “The Killing” as the deadbeat dad of Mirielle Enos’ “Linden”‘s son. (It was a little funny because her fiancee was played by Callum Keith Rennie also from “Battlestar Galactica”)

2. Bee says:

i like lucy. looking forward to FX’s powers and definitely american horror. hope they have better luck in the ratings than lights out and terriers.

3. Taylor says:

I LOVE Lucy Punch :)
    I remember watching her on The Class, and I was pleased to see her in Dinner for Schmucks (even funnier in it). Might give this show a go.

4. John says:

I hadn’t heard that Chandler passed on it. Sad face.

5. Danielle says:

I was sad when The Class was cancelled. It was really funny up to par with HIMYM if you ask me and I’m still mourning it’s death.

6. THE CLASS was a great show — FRIENDS’ much meaner cousin. Lucy Punch was, to be honest, my least favorite among the cast, though it could have been a result of writing; her character seemed the least developed, with most of the humor revolving around her being married to a man everyone else figured was gay.

Brea Grant was my dream pick for the role of Deena Pilgrim. If Kyle Chandler has passed on the project, that’s a shame. He was my dream pick for *that* role; of the ones named here, Tahmoh Penikett would be a great pick.

7. Scott says:

Never heard of Lucy. I just wanted to pop in and put a vote behind Holt McCallany. Anything that puts him back on my TV Screen. It could be him reading classic novels by a fireside and I would still watch. GET HIM BACK ON MY TV!!

8. Michael Sacal says:

I’ve never read this comic but I know that at one point Warren Ellis goes on a ride-along with the protagonists. I’m curious to see how they adapt that in the TV show, heh.