Critics' Choice TV Award Winners Include Stars from Fringe, Justified and Cougar Town

Mad woman Christina Hendricks and Justified big baddie Margo Martindale were the very first winners announced at the inaugural Critics’ Choice Television Awards, held Monday in Los Angeles. In a tie, the ladies shared the honor of Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.

“I’m dead on this show,” Martindale deadpanned in accepting her award, eliciting laughs. “But this has been the joy of my career.”

The second award handed out was for Lead Actress in a Drama, and Alan Cumming accepted on behalf of his Good Wife castmate Julianna Margulies.

Here are all of the winners, as they were announced:

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series | Christina Hendricks (Mad Men) and Margo Martindale (Justified) – TIE

Lead Actress in a Drama Series | Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series | John Noble, Fringe, who hailed the “wonderful material” he’s been given on the Fox drama, then said, “The critics have been so wonderful to us, and so have the fans, so to be receiving this is just amazing.”

Lead Actor in a Drama Series | Jon Hamm, Mad Men

Supporting Actress in a Comedy | Busy Philipps, Cougar Town, who expressed her appreciation for the show meriting strong critical buzz despite could-be-better ratings. “I can’t even wrap my head around it,” she said, “to be in the company of people like Jane [Lynch, Glee], who I have loved for years.”

Lead Actress in a Comedy | Tina Fey, 30 Rock

Supporting Actor in a Comedy | Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother, who said to the critics on hand, after noting the tough job sitcoms have meriting kudos, “Thank you for treating us more like Lost and less like According to Jim.”

Lead Actor in a Comedy | Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

Best Reality Series/Competition | American Idol

Best Reality Series | Hoarders (A&E) and The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (Bravo)

Best Reality Host | Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

Television Icon Award | Danny DeVito (It’s Always Sunny…, Taxi)

Best Talk Show | The Daily Show With Jon Stewart

Best Comedy Series | Modern Family

Best Drama Series | Mad Men

The Broadcast Television Journalists Association also named several new series as “Most Exciting,” including TNT’s just-premiered Falling Skies, NBC’s Awake and Smash, Fox’s Terra Nova, New Girl and Alcatraz, ABC’s Apartment 23, and The CW’s Ringer.

The Critics’ Choice Awards will air on ReelzChannel this Wednesday at 8/7c. The complete list of nominees can be found here.

1. Fran says:

Watching on the vh1.com live stream and cheered when John Noble won, finally some recognition for this amazing actor !

• Bobbi says:

SO glad he won! He is outstanding in that part.

• Melinda says:

I agree! John Noble is absolutely amazing! To be able to switch back and forth between “Walter” and “Walternate” is just brilliant. I love how vulnerable Walter is. I never thought I would like John after seeing him in Lord of the Rings (but that was because I hated his character). He is a brilliant actor! Kudos!!!!

2. Kyle says:

YAY for Busy!!!! So excited for her AND Cougartown!! She deserves it!

3. Dominique says:

I was thrilled until both Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler got snubbed. If the critics don’t reward them, it’s hard to believe the Emmys will.

• Liza180 says:

Me too although I love Busy Philips! Tired of Tina Fey and anything from Mad Men. Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler are so good in those roles. I was mad at the The Killing snubs. Boo.

4. damian says:

Really glad for Noble, who deserved an award last year as well, and by extension Fringe. It could draw more people into it.

5. Jen says:

Yay Busy Phillips!!! Now maybe the Emmys will give her the recognition she deserves

6. redheadedgirl says:

Joel McHale was robbed.

• sashay says:

Yes! My happiness for John Noble’s win is tempered by my sadness that Joel and Community weren’t honoured with awards at all. He blows Jim Parsons out of the water, in my humble opinion. (Plus, Parsons is good but I don’t think he’s really acting much. I’ve seen him interviewed, and that character very much has his personality). Also think it’s a travesty that Danny Pudi didn’t walk away with best supporting actor in a comedy. I like NPH, & think he’s tremendously talented, but I don’t think the role of Barney is one-tenth as challenging as Abed.
      I’m happy that Tina Fey won. Other than the ones I mentioned, bleh. At least it held more interest for me than the Emmys usually do.

• Tish says:

I so aggree with everything you said – so happy for talented amazing John Noble. So disapointed for Joel McHale, Dany Pudi and COmmunity!
        It´s a shame, really. Community is the best comedy show of the moment.

7. sarah says:

All the right people won!

8. Nicole says:

Wow, Christina Hendricks must have been fan-freaking-tastic on Mad Men this season if the critics thought her equal to Margo Martindale, who I thought had the best performance of the year by anyone. Congrats to them both.

• steve says:

I’m glad Margo Martindale (Justified)was noticed.She was outstanding

• Lindie says:

You are absolutely right!. Margo Martindale was flat out amazing. I was sorry to see her gone, but I don’t see how she could have beat out Groggins as the one surviving in this series.

9. Cameron says:

Glad Noble won a much deserved award, but sad that Dinklage didn’t get recognized.

10. Chmarin says:

Some great winners (Busy Phillips, John Noble), and then some super BORING ones (Tina Fey, Jim Parson, NPH). Not saying they’re not deserving, but c’mon, where’s the love for Parks & Rec? Amy Poehler, Nick Offerman?

I thought this award show was supposed to be the opposite of the predictable & boring Emmys…

And Idol wins Best Reality Competition? SERIOUSLY??

11. quantumx says:

Congrats to John Noble \o/
    Anna Torv is amazing!!!

12. Jimmy says:

Meh on Fey and Parsons. Are they funny, sure, but were they the funniest of this group? Don’t think so.

13. Iggi says:

I cannot believe Parks didn’t get any awards. I cannot believe it.

14. Anonymous says:

Parks and Recreation got robbed. Totally deserved best Comedy, Supporting Actor, and Lead Actress. Modern Family sucks, and isn’t funny. Parks and Rec should have won.

• Justin says:

WRONG! Modern Family is freaking awesome. However, Parks and Rec is tied for best comedy with Modern Family, in my opinion.

• ChiChi says:

Don’t like either one of them. Guess I’m (finally) not alone in my opinion.

• Justin says:

No, you’re not alone. However, whoever shares your opinion needs a better sense of humor because these are two of the best comedies on television.

15. Will says:

Breaking news: Critics’ Choice TV Awards mostly give awards to the same people who win Emmys and Golden Globes. Don’t differentiate themselves at all.

16. Liza180 says:

Nothing for The Killing? Wow.

17. Andrew says:

Parks and Rec didn’t win? This is… ridiculous.

18. S. from A. says:

Parks and Recreation >>> Modern Family!!!

• Justin says:

No, it isn’t! They are virtually tied for best comedy on television! It could go either way, but only for these two.

19. Jenna says:

PARKS AND REC DIDN’T WIN?! That is theft.

20. Johnny says:

Delighted for John Noble! Anna Torv, you’re my winner!

21. Cortexifan says:

Congratulations to John Noble! It’s about time. Anna should have won too. Hopefully the first of many for a great show.
    Fringe Rocks!

22. AJ says:

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Should’ve gone to Margo. I’ve seen both Mad Men and Justified and Christina Hendricks isn’t anything special

Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Happy for Hamm, but kinda wishing that Olyphant woul’ve won.

Supporting Actress in a Comedy: Great, about time she got some recognition

Lead Actress in a Comedy: Was hoping for Cox but Fey’s fine.

Supporting Actor in a Comedy: Completely deserved it. He was briliant this year.

Lead Actor in a Comedy: Should’ve gone to Joel.

Best Comedy Series: Modern Family = the most overrated show on tv right now, shoud’ve gone to Community.

Best Drama Series: Personally, Justified S2 was stronger than Mad Men S4.

• Ellen says:

“I’ve never seen Fringe, but find it hard to believe that this guy is better than Goggins and Slattery.”

Then maybe you should watch Fringe and find out why experienced TV critics think he IS better…

• Ellen says:

Of course, the whole bizarre thing really is that Noble continues to be nominated in supporting category when he really is the lead actor on the show, going by both screen time and plot focus…

• Pat says:

you clearly have never seen Fringe. John Noble is amazing on that show. Fringe would be nothing without him, where Mad Men could survive w/o Slattery. Goggins is also pivotal to Justified and is just as deserving as Noble, but i believe they made the right choice there.
      Community ftw.
      and Justified got robbed too. Mad Men was terrific, but Justified was better.

• leigh says:

While I respect your opinion, if you haven’t seen Fringe then you don’t know what an amazing actor Noble is. He is basically playing 4 different roles (Walter, Walternate and their younger versions)and plays them all to perfection with the little nuances that makes all the characters different and interesting. Same goes for Anna, her channeling of Nimoy must be seen to be believed :) I hope it gets some more deserved recognition. Check it out, you won’t be sorry. Cheers!

• Kay says:

“Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: I’ve never seen Fringe, but find it hard to believe that this guy is better than Goggins and Slattery.”

If you find it hard to believe, then it’s a good idea to check out a few episodes of the show. ;)

• V says:

Justified got ripped off! It’s WAY better then Mad Men. Goggins and Olyphant should have won in their categories.

• Erin says:

Thank you!! I DO NOT get the obsession with Mad Men!! I love Justified and am so glad that the woman that played Mags won! Timothy Olyphant definately should have won. And I LOVE Goggins, but I’m glad that John Noble won, he totally deserved it. :-) I wish they would have tied too. I love Boyd and Walter equally. Lol

• Fringefan says:

Speaking as someone who watches both Fringe and Justified… and love them BOTH so much, I’m torn between Goggins and Noble. I absolutely love Goggins portrayal of his character on Justified, he brings so much depth and so many dimensions to Boyd (so much so that he turned what was supposed to be a single season character into a reoccuring role – the show wouldn’t be the same without him). BUTTTTTT…. John Noble is absolutely stunning on Fringe. And he tackled two roles this season. His usual charming, eccentric, endearing, brilliant Walter and “Walternate” (his alterego from another dimension) who is cunning, devious, slightly evil, but still brilliant and multi-dimensional. Yes, though I will root for Goggins to win next year, this year I am soooo happy for John Noble!! :-)

23. Pat says:

Community ftw.

and Justified got robbed too. Mad Men was terrific, but Justified was better.

24. guest says:

Very dissapointed that Anna Torv did not win. She was sensational in season 3, and deserves to be recognised for that. Instead the critics go for the overrated Marguilis,who will get all the other prizes and did not bother to show up.
    Anna Torv is from Australia, a minor detour to LA?

Anna Torv carried nearly every episode of season 3. From season 1 she was great but was unfairly treated by some of the critics, just because the character is an unusual introverted woman, and it looks like she is still suffering from that now. Season 3 finally gave her a chance to show of her range, and I look at mr. Pinkner why she had to wait so long, while he recently has said that he found it hard to watch the attacks on Anna.
    Actually if they would have given Anna more and better material from the start Fringe perhaps would still be on a thursday,who knows.

As much as I like John Noble I think it unfair to credit him only with season 3. He has the luck of an easy to like Walter from season 1.
    I wonder where he would be in popularity etc if instead he would have been playing only Walternate from the start.

So all this observing to state that Anna Torv should have won.

• sarah says:

In your opinion.

• Annon says:

Yes, exactly. Just because Anna didn’t win, doesn’t mean you disrespect John Noble’s win.

The show got recognised. People should be happy about that.

• br says:

Anto, it would be nice if left your obsession with Torv aside and stuck to congratulating John Noble, like you did on other sites, where you swallowed your bitterness and did the right thing.

The truth is that no one can compare to John Noble. He also played an introverted, restrained character: Walternate. And he was absolutely brilliant. The man is a genius and he deserves all the accolades he gets. He has been pitch perfect this season and rose above the material they gave him, which sadly was mediocre at times, since this season they only wrote for the Olivias.

Congratulations to John Noble and all the winners!

• Annie says:

They didn’t credit him only. The show and Anna got nominated and that’s a huge thing considering how the show wasn’t getting any recognition before.

I do think Anna should’ve over won over Julianna, but the fact that she got nominated is awesome already.

• TBB says:

Most of that post made no sense. Of course John Noble deserved the award, and of course he is the best part of that show.

25. Ash says:

NPH and Jim Parsons were shoo-ins. Very well deserved.

26. DJ Rogue says:

Weird.

I didn’t see any awards given to Community…

Weird and unacceptable.

27. turbo says:

Matt, thank you for championing Anna Torv in recent times. So freakin disappointed that she lost. Did the other critics even bother to watch their episodes of fringe? How can they think that Julianna was better than Anna? It’s mind boggling.

28. Kay says:

Ecstatic that John Noble won. Hope he gets the Emmy too. Really well-deserved.

I’m also hoping for at least an Emmy nomination for Anna Torv.

29. Jake says:

OMG i hope this is how the Emmys turn out, well except for Tina Fey, Mad Men and Modern Family winning since theyve already won in the past.

30. Dimitris says:

Very pleased that John Noble’s work is finally rewarded. He is incredible. Sad about Anna Torv though… She deserves an award. She’s done everything in the show. So much diversity in her acting. I hope she gets an Emmy! Or a nomination at least…

31. PaulH says:

Mad Men winning drama series.

Y. A. W. N.

• the tenor says:

okay…. except this was arguably Mad Men’s strongest season yet. It’d be one thing if the show wasn’t at it’s peak, but it continued to be strong. Specifically “The Suitcase” one of the best individual episodes of television ever.

• Yep says:

THANK YOU!! It’s not that great of a show. The critics need to unstick their lips from Mad Men’s butts. Seriously, its a good show. It’s not great.

32. Jaime A. Lopez says:

YESSS!! Finally Busy Phillips/ Cougar Town get some recognition!! Imaginary Hat to Busy. ;)

If only the Emmy’s hop on board.

33. Mindy says:

Hooray for John Noble! That is a richly deserved award. Yay! Hope he gets a nominee for the Emmy. He is amazing. Congrats John Noble! Margo Martindale is also a great winner.

34. Joy84 says:

I’m getting kind of tired with this Mad Men thing…I want some award for House!!! What do they all have against this show and poor Hugh Laurie??
    Oh well..

35. Ricardo says:

Nothing against Modern Family. It’s a good show. But both Parks and Community (and Louie and Archer) deserve this award way more.

36. perktweet says:

Oh wonderful, both john and busy won awards while josh wasn’t nominated for anything. Why is it that josh’s costars keep getting all the love and respect while all josh gets is oh he is the guy from Dawson’s creek which BUSY was also a part of!

37. elena says:

Parks and Rec should have won for Best Comedy. Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman should have won too. Im very happy for John Noble though.

38. Amy says:

Very, very glad for John Noble and Jon Hamm; would love to see these awards duplicated at the Emmys! Though I am betting Martindale snatches the statuette from Hendricks come September –

39. sam says:

I am SO sick Mad Men hogging the spotlight.

40. huddylover says:

Where’s Lisa Edelstein? She is the best actress, she turned House into a hit, HL shines when he acts with her! Morons…

41. Amy says:

While I was glad to see some outside of the box winners, I was overall disappointed there weren’t more since this was from the critics. I was especially disappointed to see Modern Family win over Parks and Recreation or Community, Tina Fey winning over Amy Poehler (the woman deserves some awards for her Leslie Knopp), Jim Parsons, and Mad Men. These are people/shows who always get the awards (not undeserving) and I thought this awards show would be different. Mostly upset about the lack of Parks and Community love.

42. Cris says:

Disappointed and surprised that neither Parks & Rec nor Community won anything. I like 30 Rock, but Amy Poehler out did Tina Fey this season.

43. MGL says:

The Good Wife or Justified should have won best drama. Congrats to Julianna Margulies for Lead Actress.

44. dudaynibarney says:

NPH won ! yey .. he deserves thin one .. he did .. hopefully he won the emmy’s too ! .

45. dudaynibarney says:

NPH won ! yey .. he deserves this one .. he did .. hopefully he won the emmy’s too ! .

46. br says:

JOHN NOBLE!!!! That’s all that matters.

47. XK says:

Glad to see John Noble’s well deserved win, but it’s a real shame Community did not come away with any awards.

48. Chandramas says:

I’m very happy about John Noble’s award, but Seriously Anna Torv was robbed by one!!!!! She really deserved one too!

49. Missy says:

I don’t think it was Mad Men’s fault that they have a consistent great episodes, week after week… I must say, Elisabeth Moss got robbed for Lead Actress.. Even though no love for Parks & Recreation, I still love the results all are well deserved…

50. P.A. says: