The Killing Post Mortem: The Story Behind the Shocking Finale and Scoop on Season 2!

Warning: If you have yet to watch Sunday’s season finale of The Killing, run — don’t walk — to the nearest emergency exit. Everyone else, onward and downward….

After watching the season finale of AMC’s The Killing, I am almost speechless. I mean, I have loved the show since the first of its bazillion raindrops fell. Its pace. Its broken heart. Its dirty mind. All of it. And right up to and including the end, it didn’t disappoint, delivering one tantalizing twist after another, the biggest of course being that the most engrossing whodunit since Twin Peaks’ Laura Palmer remains unsolved. Grrr. And don’t even get me started on the potential new suspect that emerged in the episode’s final minutes. Thankfully, AMC has renewed the show for a second season, which means answers are coming. But when? Will Rosie Larsen’s killer be caught in Seasons 2, or will the investigation span the show’s entire run? And who was in the car with you-know-who? Series creator Veena Sud is here with answers to those questions and much, much more.

TVLINE | That was a very bold move not to solve the murder mystery in the season finale considering the show was only recently renewed for a second season. Why did you decide to deviate from the Danish version of the show in this regard?
The Danish series’ investigation was 20 episodes. So they had a big giant season with tons of really interesting twists and turns that, because we only had 13 episodes in our first season, we weren’t able to use. And I really wanted to be able to use some of that material.

Eye On Emmy: Should Mireille Enos Snag a Gold Statue For The Killing?

TVLINE | But what would’ve happened if the show didn’t get picked up? Did you have an alternate ending in place to ensure fans got closure?
We did not have an alternate ending. From the very beginning, we knew — AMC, Fuse, everyone involved in the show — that we didn’t want to do a formula show. So there were a lot of discussions about, “We’re definitely not going to do the 45-minute procedural.” Then we stepped back and said, “Should we do a murder a season? But is that not creating yet another formula, and yet another expectation, and yet another way to put a bow on a gift and wrap it up really easily?” So then we very organically [concluded that] the [Rosie murder] story still had other possibilities after 13 hours, after 13 days, so that’s where we went. It was risky, it was brave, it was bold – that’s what AMC is known for.

TVLINE | Did AMC privately tell you that a second season was a sure thing just to give you the piece of mind?
No. I didn’t have any assurances about a Season 2. But I did have an incredible vote of confidence from the network that they loved this storytelling and they were behind it.

TVLINE | Were you concerned that the possibility existed that Sunday’s season finale could’ve been a series finale?
I can’t answer that. I am truly the worker-bee who came up with the best possible story I could come up with. So I don’t know what the machinations of [a renewal] are. All I know is there was an incredible vote of confidence all along, and lots of discussions all along about how to end the season, and this was a decision.

TVLINE | OK, let’s talk about the big climactic twist regarding Holder. Viewers were really growing attached to him towards the end of the season and then you drop this bomb. Were you intentionally pulling a bait-and-switch?
Yes. There’s more to come in Season 2 with Holder and the story. And remember, the [season covered only] 13 days. How well do you ever know anybody in 13 days? People have secrets. Everyone’s got something else going on. And over time you will hopefully — or maybe not — find that out.

TVLINE | Can you say whether the person he was talking to in the car is someone we have met before?
I can’t say.

TVLINE | Fair enough. Can you say whether Rosie’s murder will be solved in Season 2?
We will solve the investigation of who murdered Rosie Larsen in season 2, and there will also be a second case that will emerge next season. But I can’t tell you when exactly either will happen.

TVLINE | Just to clarify, when you say the investigation will be solved — does that mean the real killer will be caught?
[Laughs] I’m sorry. Yes, the killer will be revealed. All will be revealed about who murdered Rosie Larsen. [Laughs] I wasn’t trying to parse words.

TVLINE | Can you confirm which castmembers will be back next season? Mireille Enos (Sarah) and Joel Kinnaman (Holder) will obviously return, but who else?
Unfortunately, I can’t say anything else creatively about season 2, including casting decisions.

TVLINE | The show has enjoyed a lot of acclaim, but there has also been some criticism. One common complaint is that the pacing is too slow.
Remember, every episode is one day. So if every episode is one day, it moved at perfectly the right pace it should’ve moved at — with the investigation, with a family’s grief, with the political campaign.

TVLINE | Some people also felt the show was too gloomy.
It’s the Pacific Northwest in November. It’s gloomy. It’s rainy. It’s a state of mind. Do you mean physically gloomy?

TVLINE | Physically, emotionally… There wasn’t a light of levity.
Well, there’s Glee. There are other shows that aren’t the same tonality of The Killing. There are many other cop shows that you can watch in hi-def color and have music and women in bikinis. This is not that show. It’s going to portray the murder of a child in the way it should be portrayed.

TVLINE | Will we learn more about who Rosie was in Season 2?
That’s an interesting question. I’ve been asked it a bit. This is my take: I’ve met cops who’ve had the one [big] case of their career, like Sarah has with Rosie Larsen. And these cops have neglected their children and left their marriages and destroyed their families for a dead person they’ve never known. And, like Sarah, they get to know tiny pieces of that person. And that’s endlessly fascinating to me. It really is about the cop. It’s about Sarah and something in her that is empty and needing something and that’s why she fixates on these dead people. And so not getting to know Rosie Larsen and not seeing her in flashbacks and just seeing tiny pieces of this girl who Sarah will never know is part and parcel of who she is and why she’s doing this. And it reveals a lot about her character. Like Sarah, [viewers] got to know pieces of who Rosie was. Terry said it really well to Mitch, “Did anyone really ever know her?” And that’s the mystery of Rosie. Who was this girl? Not only who killed her but who was she? And as time goes on in the investigation and Sarah gets to know her more and what she was doing the night of her murder there will be more revealed about who she truly was.

TVLINE | Talk to me about the decision to air the self-contained “Missing” episode — which focused almost entirely on the relationship between Sarah and Holder — at the end of the season as opposed to the beginning?
It [goes back to the mandate of] taking detours and doing the unexpected. Right when this giant piece of evidence comes hurling at us, to take a detour was kind of a crazy brave move. But I think definitely in our wheelhouse. The two-man play [concept] was inspired by other AMC shows — Don and Peggy in [the Mad Men episode "The Suitcase"], Jesse and Walter dying in the desert because they ran out of water [in Breaking Bad's "4 Days Out"]. I was so fascinated  by those episodes and what they allowed the audience to get to know about the people they were spending time with. And I really wanted that for Sarah and for Holder — and at the most inconvenient time, which is how s— happens in life. This thing happens and you’re stuck with the last person on Earth you thought would be your aid and your friend to deal with potentially a huge tragedy.

TVLINE | Aside from you, who else knows the identity of the killer?
The writers.

TVLINE | Any concern about it leaking? Will there be a penalty of death if someone gets drunk at a party and says something they shouldn’t?
[Laughs] There certainly is no penalty of death. The writers and myself are really proud of this mystery and we worked really hard to wrap it up in a way that is deeply satisfying so we want to protect it. We want to unleash it on the world when it’s time and not before that.

For scoop and spoilers round-the-clock, follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Tags: ,

Comments (220)

• For all the superior arrogant people who claim that we are upset because we have no attention span and should just watch CSI or L&O – I don’t watch those shows because they are cheesy and fake. Usually the shows I like are on AMC or FX, like Justified or Mad Men or Breaking Bad.
    I had hoped the Killing would be another really good show. But the writing was awful and there was mostly filler for about 4-5 shows. This whole season could have been 8 episodes if they cut the filler. That’s just not something you see in shows like Justified or Breaking Bad.
    Each episode dragged on, with people looking out the window into the rain. Then suddenly at the end, a cliffhanger! Immediately at the start of the next episode, the cliffhanger is shown to be a false lead.
    Sorry Veena, it’s just not the “risky, brave, bold” show you think it is.

Comment by chillydogs – June 20, 2011 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, it’s bold, if by “bold” Ms Sud thinks “stupid”.
      The actors were good (even if Michelle Forbes, Billy Campbell and Kristen Lehman overacted), the direction was good, the style was good. The writing was awful.

There are always plot holes and conventions on any show. I’ve been watching season two of “Justified” and I’ve been struck that every time some contrivance was written into the plot, the characters comment on it, so you know the writers don’t think you’re stupid and just want you to embrace the ride.
      In “The Killing”, the writers try to make every weird and foolish thing relevant to the plot and realistic. Even when it’s utterly “bold”.

Comment by Dwigt – June 20, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliance, absolutely LOVED this series and everything about it, including the finale. I’m a bit taken aback by so many negative reviews regarding the ending and not showing the true killer. I never once thought they would reveal the killer in the first season, now if they don’t show the killer after season 2 I can see taking issue with that.

Comment by NB – June 20, 2011 03:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The producers didn’t get the renewal until last week. So you have no problem that, had the ratings not justified a renewal, the producers were willing to let you devote 13-hours to a story, and then leave you hanging for all eternity without a resolution.

There is a disease that has infected television, this kick-the-can-down-the-road syndrome. HBO’s wonderful “Game of Thrones” will continue next Spring, but you don’t have a sense that the story could be told any other way. Their cliffhanger was rational.

As I mentioned before, if these “The Killing” producers ran our libraries, every novel would be missing the final chapter, with a last page noting the final chapter will be available for reading come Spring 2012, providing the publisher had not gone out of business in the meantime.

If you could do justice to “Lonesome Dove” over eight hours, you could certainly tell this tale in thirteen.

Comment by filmex – June 20, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe we’ve all become used to being left “hanging for all eternity without a resolution” since so many shows are cancelled so quickly these days. I’ve had many shows I’ve loved cut off before I knew the outcome of the story.

I loved this show and the finale. It did bug me that Stan didn’t tell Mitch about the house but I think he just didn’t want to tie her there if she didn’t want to be there.

Very much looking forward to next season! It can’t come soon enough!

Comment by Bobbi – June 21, 2011 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand people’s frustration, but I kind of admire the balls it took to end on a cliffhanger. This show hasn’t done what was expected of it, and that’s why I liked it. I’m peeved about the Holder reveal, but overall I appreciate what this show was; to me, it wasn’t so much about the whodunit, but instead more about the emotional aftermath and fallout. I used to work missing children cases, and sadly had several found deceased, and the portrayal of the unending grief of the parents and the detectives’ omnipresent dedication (bordering on myopia) were in my opinion spot on. I think even with its flaws, it’s still the strongest summer series offering with top-notch acting, particularly by Enos and Forbes. Count me in as one who will be back in the fall.

Comment by Elizabeth – June 20, 2011 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried so hard to like this show, but this was it for me. The detective work was utterly embarrassing, the pacing was terrible, and it’s clear they knew nothing about what they were doing as they were going along. That along with the sheer arrogance of Sud in these post-finale interviews ensures I won’t be watching next season.

Comment by allie – June 20, 2011 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you want to know how it all ends then watch the original (In Danish) with english sub-titles. I haven’t seen this version of the show yet. I am expecting to sit watching it saying ‘ thats not how it happens’ all the way through it.

Comment by Big John – June 20, 2011 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good luck with that. They rewrote most of the story and changed the killer so that would be utterly useless.

Comment by AJ – June 20, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i don’t think i will be back next season, the pace got too slow toward the end of the season and honestly i am not invested in any of the characters or the answer to who killed rosie, there were to many distractions for me i like a more on topic story telling

Comment by mdb – June 20, 2011 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the future, if I see the name Veena Sud associated with a show, I will know to run the heck away. The worst ending EVER. AMC, how could you let this hack destroy your credibility? Either fire her, or just cancel this garbage program. Either way, I could now care less who killed the young lady. It’s a TV program, and a bad one, not worth the trouble.

Comment by Rocky – June 20, 2011 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t understand the people on here who have criticized the show and yet continued to watch for all 13 episodes – and then go on to say what a waste of their time that it was. If you felt that way, wouldn’t you have simply stopped watching within the first couple of episodes? – It’s not like the show started out fast-paced and Amercian-ized and then drifted into what you’re all accusing it of being.

Honestly, I think there are some pretty lazy watchers who were looking to be spoon-fed with a tied up ending and when the writing actually forced you to intellectually engage and imagine beyond what you were being shown, you started to whine that it was too hard.

TV should challenge and provoke – the Killing has definitely hit the mark.

Comment by raintower_watcher – June 20, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is a cop out move to make the viewer feel like they learned who Holder was over the course of the series, what kind of man and what kind of detective he was, and then just change the script in the last scene. So we really didn’t know anything about him? I call shenanigans. If everything that has been revealed during the season can just be changed at the last second, then why invest time watching at all? That’s a tad gimmicky. What’s the point? They take another great actress/character Michelle Forbes “Mitch” and give her great material for a couple of episodes than just float her into the background like a zombie then we get the reveal that she is leaving. Um, she left about five episodes ago. How is that good writing? Frustrating to watch such a good idea and good cast be driven into the ground by bad writing/plotting.

Comment by bhm1304 – June 20, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think there was any “change in the script in the last scene”. I think the plot has been unfolding all along. The writers just took you to a place you weren’t expecting. That’s not bad writing or plotting – they were showing you that you can’t expect to know any of these characters in the space of 13 hours. That’s depth of charater writing and it’s refreshing to see in television these days.

As far as Mitch’s character is concerned, yes, she has been a “zombie” – her teenage daughter was brutally murdered. That was what happened to her character and that’s what happens to people when they experience trauma. She played it very convincingly.

Comment by raintower_watcher – June 20, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say I really enjoyed the ending and the show. It seems like most people were just angry that the killer wasn’t revealed. If that is why you are mad then you weren’t watching the right show. The fact that they screwed with convention and what everybody thought would happen made me appreciate it more.

Now, while I enjoyed the twist and how the season ended, the writers aren’t out of the woods yet. They really need to make the revelation of Holder work. The who, what, where and why’s of his seeming betrayal need to make sense. Was the goal taking down Richmond or just taking down anybody other than the real killer? Does it have anything to do with the phone call he got awhile back and hung up quick when Linden came in? What about what looks to be his family… the people whose house he goes and parks in front of? Was he being paid to support them? Or maybe he is being blackmailed? Maybe they are being threatened? Maybe there is more to his backstory than what would be revealed in 13 days and he only got the promotion because he made a deal to be in somebody’s pocket? These are the questions that went through my head and if the big question will be whether or not they can explain it without contradicting what he did throughout the season. If Richmond was the target then why try so hard to pin it on everybody else they came across? Or was he just pinning it on anybody? Once he found out Richmond was Orpheus is that when he realized he could make his move? Why would he use Linden’s info if he knew there were no real pictures?

If you couldn’t tell, I’m intrigued and if adding this layer means waiting for the reveal then I am willing to go with it… doesn’t mean i’ll like what they come up with for next season

Comment by jpooch21 – June 20, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get why your average American wants a tv series/movie/novel to resolve; because we rarely get that resolution in life. Personally I prefer my entertainment to closely reflect the real world. Case in point: conflicts don’t always meet their agreement in 2 hours, 13 episodes or 400 pages. That having been said, I adore a good comedy like Parks & Recreation, but I know what to expect. I knew, also, what to expect from The Killing. It was clear from the start that the series was going to be about one girl’s murder, therefore I was up for any plot twist, even the season ending without my curiosity sated.

Comment by Fondla – June 20, 2011 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am shocked by all the negative commentary and have to wonder why so many people wasted their time watching this show, if indeed they think everything about it is so crummy??!! I have loved all 13 episodes and I thought the ending was brilliant!! Just when you were almost ready to turn off the TV………. It left so many loose ends, and twists and turns…..marks of a great mystery.

Why did Gwen renege on the alibi? What’s Holder’s connection to all of it and will his character be redeemed in Season 2? With those two occurrences happening simultaneously, it makes one feel they have to be connected. Holder took a huge risk by submitting a doctored photo that can easily be verified as being phony. If he is to remain a lead character in the show, there will have to be a really logical reason as to why he took such a risk. I find it interesting that basically he took over the lead in the investigation by questioning the gas mileage on the campaign car, leading Sarah to the gas station, etc….makes you wonder about the extent of his involvement. What role does the mother play in all this? She has acted weird from the get-go. I have often wondered about her guilt and that fact that she has acted extremely guilty!!

I am REALLY looking forward to Season Two. I think the cast has been brilliant and the location has been perfect. The writing and pace has left one wanting more….Every Sunday night when the show ended, I could hardly wait until the next episode.

Comment by Gayle – June 20, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care what the critics said. The Killing was very satisfying and unique. I read murder mysteries (3-5 a week) and have to say how refreshing it is to watch a show like this that takes its time and does the slow reveal with aplomb. I loved the ending (not cliff hanger, but dangling threads!) and can’t wait for Season 2. Thanks to the producers writers et al. of this show for giving us a truly unique murder mystery experience. Well exceeded my expectations. P.S. After episode 13 I’m certain I know who the killer is. ;-)

Comment by Susola – June 20, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • P.S. I would rather have 13 episodes of incredible cable TV shows (like Justified and The Killing) than a full season of mediocre network crap shows. Just sayin’…

Comment by Susola – June 20, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fringe, The Good Wife, Parks and Recreation or Community are much superior to The Killing in every aspect and they’re on network TV.
        Don’t try to be a snob because you watch basic cable. Try to be a snob because you watch actually great shows.

Comment by Dwigt – June 20, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everytime I hear Sud talk about her precious show and how precious she is for not giving you what you want, I picture this woman waking up every morning, taking a big ol fart, then sniffing it cause she’s just so gosh darn precious and you people need to realize how precious she is before she has to slap you cause gosh darn it. Now sniff, SNIFF!!!!!

Comment by sudsey – June 20, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched “The Killing” all through the season. I love that is not a formulaic show. In my opinion, Mirielle Enos is perfect for this offbeat crime drama. I was expecting a twist in the finale. It seemed far too pat and anticlimactic for Darren to be the real killer. But I did not expect that the twist was the case remains unsolved with the last episode. My one complaint with the season is the show with the two detectives. Granted it developed the working and personal relationship between the characters but it did so at the expense of moving the plot forward. It felt like a show stuck in there to buy time for the writers to make the plot more convoluted. There was too much time spent on the two and not enough on the thing most viewers wanted to see-more clues, more focus on Rosie. I will tune to see what happens to Darren and to Larson. I like them both.

Comment by pspcindy – June 20, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I disliked this season ender so much I’m actually probably not even going to read TV Line reviews ever again, we disagree so violently about what makes good TV.

Ausiello, characters have to make sense to drive a story. And even red herrings have to move the storyline forward. None of the characters made sense. And the red herrings were there to fill in space, not move the story forward.

Linder’s a conflicted Mom who’s going to take her child’s Dad to court if he ever shows up again — oops, not, and no explanation.

Holder is a conflicted former addict who’s trying to make good somehow — oops, not.

Richmond is an honourable guy committed to doing the right thing — not.

Ahmed’s wife can’t recognize the guy who beat up her husband.

Mitch bails on her remaining two living kids two weeks after her oldest is murdered.

I could go on, but I don’t want to waste another millisecond of my time on this disappointing, poorly written show.

Worst. Ending. Ever.

Comment by Helen – June 20, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But, but, but Veena Sud is a genius! Sniff the genius!

Comment by sudsey – June 20, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget that Holder is so stupid he decided to frame someone for murder with a picture that would be immediately shown to be illegitimate the second a defense lawyer had five seconds to check its provenance.

Oh and the Super Great OMG!11! detectives who can’t even figure out that they should check things like gas mileage of the car the body was found in until DAY FRIKKIN 13 of the investigation.

Comment by Holly – June 20, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man what a bunch of whining and crying over not getting what you wanted after 13 WHOLE episodes. Oh the humanity. Like she said, season one of the original was 20 episodes, not 13 so it’s going to carry over to season 2. I assumed anyone with half a brain had looked up the original on Wikipedia and knew it couldn’t be finished in one season, but I guess I assumed too much of grown adults who throw hissy fits like a 5 year old over TV shows. Don’t watch it if you can’t handle having to wait. You poor little things.

Just so you know, there will be a new murder next season, that WON’T be solved by the end of the season. Now you know so you don’t have to come back and cry on the internet again next year.

Comment by AJ – June 20, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know why folks have a problem with the time taking to solve things… the show runner’s previous show was Cold Case which solved murders that were decades old at times… that’s really slow!!! but there were all solved in 40 minutes of TV Time…

Comment by Doug-H – June 20, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sadly, some just lack the attention span to appreciate a well thought out, emotional show like this. They want everything “now”. Fast food TV. Sad.

Comment by Mel – June 20, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, that Arthur Conan Doyle had a real case of ADD, didn’t he.

Telling a captivating story in a reasonable amount of time, and then telling another one. What was he thinking? If you “great minds” had your way, you’d be reading volume 15 of “A Study In Scarlet”, leisurely awaiting the conclusion.

I don’t want “fast food TV”, but I don’t want “kick-the-can-down’the-road” TV for all eternity either. The fact that the producers were willing to let the series be cancel featuring that ending was unconscionable.

Comment by filmex – June 20, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, about 8 of the episodes in the first season are essentially meaningless. The teacher angle, the rich ex boyfriend angle… episode 11. And that’s assuming that the Richmond and Holder threads actually lead to anything in the upcoming season. For all we know, those are just red herring’s too.

Unless there is some grand master conspiracy that explains all the inept police work that Linden’s been doing, it seems fairly obvious that this show’s plot could have been wrapped up in a 6 episode miniseries.

Don’t mistake filler for thoughtfulness

Comment by Console – June 21, 2011 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s my scoop on Season 2: They’re making it up as they go along.

I won’t be wasting my time again.

Comment by Chuck – June 20, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome series – awesome episode. For those disappointed is it because the was no resolution or because you feel like you’ve been “Soprano’d”? The show is a mystery so what’s better than a continuing mystery? I like the poster who suspected Gwen’s father gave Holder the nudge to help the investigation along. Seems quite plausible and an intriguing situation for Holder to try to dig his way out of when Sarah gets back in the game. As for Jack – he needs to live with his father and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a decision Sarah makes when gets back from California. Can’t wait til next season.

Comment by Linderella – June 20, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great “review” buy that hack ausiello.

is he allowed to trash anything or is he really this dumb? because this was just god awful, but i guess you need to continue buddying up the veena sud so shell give you spoilers. omg! can you believe what happens next! omg! better tell all the 13 year old girls who like gossip girl, theyll flip!

Comment by jkarno – June 20, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview! Loved Sud’s reply to criticism that the show is too gloomy. It is rather the anti-Glee! I love all the darkness and gloom, And the slow pacing makes it feel so Chekhovian. This is a great show, and along with Breaking Bad and Mad Men, one of TV’s best. Who knew AMC had it in them?!

Comment by Mel – June 20, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve had to think about this episode overnight. I was hooked from the start. Loved the characters – Linder, Holder, & Stan especially. Mitch’s performance was heartbreaking. I have to admit, I was so disappointed to not find out who the killer is, but, just as in life, things can’t always be so neatly wrapped up in a specified amount of time. After initially feeling like I wouldn’t watch next season, I will. So many situations to resolve: Will Mitch come back? Will Linder break off her engagement? Will Bennett survive? Will Stan end up in prison? What does Richmond’s ex-lover have to do with the plot? Yep, I’ll be watching…

Comment by jfore1 – June 20, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I started reading this site when michael Slezak started writing for it. I used to read his stuff on EW. But this show, and much, much worse, this servile recap of a miserable show has so turned me off that I am done. Sorry Michael, I will follow you again when you ditch this thinly disguised shill site for bad drama.

Comment by madeleine – June 20, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Linder gets off that damn plane…that’s it! I don’t think Jack can take anymore! Go to Sonoma, Linder, get your life at least in temporary order…then get a car and drive back to Seattle to kick some Holder butt.

Comment by Steve – June 20, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care what you resolve or don’t resolve in Season 2, woman. My time is much more valuable than what you think. Something you may want to consider for yourself as you contemplate running a show with only 400,000 viewers.

Comment by Jeffty – June 20, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you idiots also get pissed off when a brand new show, say on NBC, ends it’s first season on a cliffhanger and then gets cancelled? I hope not, because it happens at least 10 times a year every year over all the Networks combined. At least learn something about how the industry works before taking out your frustrations on a person who did what hundreds of other shows have done and ended season one on a cliffhanger.

Also, learn something about ratings. The Killings ratings have been on par with season one of Mad Men and there was never any doubt about it’s renewal. Read tvbythenumbers.com so you don’t look foolish claiming that there was some great risk at ending on a cliffhanger.

And no they aren’t “making it up as they go along, its based on the Danish show but rewritten in pats to change the killer and circumstances to the US.

Comment by AJ – June 20, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do believe they are making it up as they go. As in, well, what else can we put in this episode to make 42 minutes? We’ve got one point that we need to include, so what other useless meaningless fodder can we add to expand it to meet the time requirements?
      Asking people to come back after a cliffhanger usually means the season finale is in May, and the next season begins in September. That’s only 3-4 months. This show won’t be back until April 2012. She expects that people will still be interested in 9 months? Now THAT’S arrogant!

Comment by chillydogs – June 20, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you want to end the season on a cliffhanger, the least you can do is give your audience some pay-off. I’m not talking about giving the name of the killer or wrapping everything properly. It could have been a significant hint about Rosie, anything that rewards people for watching the show and prove them that even there are loose ends what they saw will be crucial for the next season.
      In her interview, Veena Sud repeatedly “can’t say” about the man in the car, the returning characters and stuff like that. Given the season finale, many people are now convinced that it’s less a matter of “won’t say” than a matter of “We still don’t have a clue and I just threw a bunch of random things together in the finale that will likely be overturned within five minutes of the second season premiere, as we did in every episode”.
      The fact that the identity of the killer wasn’t revealed isn’t really the big issue. It’s the fact that nothing the writers had implied makes sense and that the identity of the “real” killer will be as random as anything we’ve already witnessed in the finale.

Comment by Dwigt – June 20, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disappointed in this show. I do everything I can to support scripted tv, other than medical soap operas and the overkill of the CSI or Law and Order franchises. I loved Lost from beginning to end, including the controversial ending. Lost was not a whodunnit, but rather a show that encouraged the viewer to engage the brain, do research, and think about life, the universe, and evertying, to quote Douglas Adams. The characters were all flawed, but you cared about them and wanted to see their journeys.

There is not one character for me to care about in The Killing. Not one has even a hint of likability. I find it easy to suspend reality for good fictional storytelling, but I can’t find that here. I wanted the season’s end to reveal who killed Rosie Larson, but I no longer care. “Damages” did it beautifully, so of coruse it was canclled for anyone who doesn’t have DirectTV. Twin Peaks also did it beautifully in a different way with its memorable characters who are still not forgotten. I can’t see myself tuning in for another season of The Killing.

Comment by Sable – June 20, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While The Killing started strong, by the middle of the season it felt like it was being stretched thin – and most of the middle eps were unutterably boring. The last few eps really got intense and seemed to be going somewhere definitive and then… crooked cop/faked photos. The End.

Sorry, but that was not a case of developing all the twists to make the show more intriguing. That was lazy, self-indulgent and enough to warrant my never watching again [though, sadly, I'll be required to watch at least the second season premiere for review purposes...].

At this point, I don’t really give a rat’s a$$ who killed Rosie Larsen – and that just makes some amazing work by Brent Sexton and Michelle Forbes a complete waste of time [theirs and mine].

Comment by Captain Average – June 20, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holder’s character was established to be not a bad guy, but a guy for whom the ends justifies the means. He thought he was doing Linden a solid by producing the photo to tip the point towards Darren’s arrest. The guy driving the car (I think his sponsor) is another story altogether — I think that guy is bent and one of the stooges of the real killer (Tom Drexler, IMHO) who encouraged Holder to do a solid for Linden and help her prove her case as she was so sure she had Darren but just not quite enough “proof.” Whoever killed Rosie went to great lengths to implicate Darren after all. The look on Linden’s face on the plane says she realized that either 1) Holder is corrupt and part of the conspiracy or (more likely) 2) is just as green and malleable as she thought he was and now she has to go back to both extricate him from his own stupidity, Darren from a false arrest, AND to bring the real killer to justice.

Comment by Marol Kisan – June 20, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m done with the show. First of all, it turned out to be merely good, not great. Second, the writers did everyone a disservice by not solving the murder.

Comment by John – June 20, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People who are “thrilled” at the ending are either shills for the network or think they are smarter then the average bear. I promise you, all you are doing is drinking the kool-aid.

This was such a disrespect to fans of the show who trusted AMC and Veena Sud they would unravel the mystery and all they did is poop on us.

Comment by Apple – June 20, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay to all of them who is complaing… and don’t udnerstand why you didn’t get who the murder was… the danish show this one was based on had season one split in two parts of each 10 episodes (they explained it horrible in the article) originally it was supposed to go with first 10 episodes on TV spring 2007 and the next 10 was planed to be send in spring 2008 but becuase it becamse such a succes in DK they flimed the rest over the summer and you got the next 10 in the autum…
    In the original version you only got the killer in the end of the very last episode… of episode 20 which originally was planned to be send a year after episode 10… the only problem if that in the call all 20 episodes in DK for 1 season but really it was more like two the DVD’s are also split… and the reason why it ened up being called season (ep 1-20) in DK was that they made a squal with a whole new case which sarted as a fall show sep 2009…

honestly the true is that they most likely did not give you the murder this season as they follows how the original went…

Comment by Josephine – June 20, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pacing? pacing? Since when real life offered any set of detectives great pacing, funny interludes and a perfectly gift wrapped ending, as it does every week on a multitude of neat and totally forgettable shows. Though this show had some ‘cheesy’ moments as my daughter suggested, overall it presented a set of pretty realistic characters (at least as I view reality of any murder) well defined characters (some better than others) and a story line I would be happy to follow as long as I know that there is a conclusion to most story lines (otherwise I can just watch CNN and/or read local papers).
    VL (and to state the obvious, I am just a random viewer who started watching at her friends suggestion) Which brings me to my final point, how come I had no idea it was running??

Comment by VL – June 20, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no matter what we all think, the finale was what it was…an enigma…I have to laugh at all the controversy. My husband and I do not often watch the same shows regularly, but every Sunday we had to see the Killing… and since we usually DVR it, we keep track of the time each time we fast forward the commercials…last night we freaked when we saw how much time was left, and knew we were not going to learn who the murderer was…my husband’s words were “what a ripoff!” But–we went out to lunch today and spent at least 20 minutes discussing the mystery and postulating who might actually be the killer…I was again amused because although my husband was truly let down by episode 13 he really needs to know who the killer is…and I’m sure we will both anxiously await the beginning of the next season…after all, in the scheme of things, and from a truly global perspective, it’s just a tv show…nothing that will change the world or put an end to the economic crises…but, it does and will continue to entertain us and help to satisfy the need some of us have to constantly watch mysteries on TV and film, and compulsively read mysteries and detective stories before going to sleep each night!

Comment by Adelaide – June 20, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael – I love you for loving this show! There have been so many negative reviews elsewhere, but I loved the deep emotional level that the characters reached, the intense moodiness, and the intelligence of the writing. Of COURSE I want to know who the killer was, but I found the finale episode very satisfying. Waiting for Season 2 will be grueling.

Comment by Stumpycat1 – June 20, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked all of the episodes (except the one where she was looking for her son) but this last one almost killed the series for me. The gas gage clue was incredibly stupid and hard to swallow. The car was under water, of course the tank would be fuller. How could it not be fuller? Water would displace the air in the tank. Gas tanks are not air tight. The other silly aspect of this is when Linden and Holder were in the car how could they know the gage was even accurate after having been submerged under water? Plus there was no power going to gage while they were in the car. Gas gages need to be powered to show the correct level. I know I shouldn’t care so much about a TV episode but I invested time in 12 episodes and the gas gauge level as a plot device was poorly thought out. End of gas gauge rant.

Comment by Rustycar – June 20, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ending was simply awful! I thought this being a 13 week series there would be a final answer to the whodunnit – not this terrible cliff hanger.
    Up until then I really enjoyed the show – I think I’ll get a danish friend to check out the danish equivalent of the show – providing that a 2nd season was done there.

Comment by brienster – June 20, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You blew it guys.
    Feels like when my dad promised to take me to DisneyWorld every summer.
    And never did. Douchebag.

I while Season 2 if 8 other shows don’t capture my attention till then.

Douchebags

Comment by carlos – June 20, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live in Seattle right now and while it is gray in November, the rain is more of a periodic drizzle than torrential downpour. The attitude of the people that I know are not the same as the people on the show (the detectives are probably closer to detective personalities than Pacific NW personalities).

I think they made a mistake with the ending (or lack thereof) with the show – by the time Season 2 starts, I will have moved on to other things and can easily keep up with who the killer is via recaps online. One of the things that kept Lost going was the balance of providing answers along the way, yet dropping new things to keep you wanting for more – there has to be some sort of a pay off to keep people interested. The entire “red herring” approach was following formula, as there was no way that anyone was going to be the real suspect until the last episode (or so we thought).

One of the other difficulties I had with the show is that it became harder to actually “like” people on it and have any sympathy for the (except the teacher, at this point). Even Rosie — no one deserves to be murdered, but a 17 year old sneaking out in the middle of the night to be a prostitute? The more we found out about her, the less I cared.

Comment by April Fool – June 20, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only way I could watch this show was to DVR it and fast forward thru all the boring, stretched out scenes. If it wasn’t about the murder case I did not care.

Comment by PenniLayne – June 20, 2011 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the finale was good, and I didn’t mind that they didn’t tell us who the killer was. However, I am supremely disappointed in the Holder twist. He is/was the best part about the show, and I absolutely adored him. He was such an unlikely hero, and that’s been ruined. I just don’t see how they can redeem him now. It’s a real bummer.

Comment by Sarah – June 20, 2011 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • in our house this show is done, with last nights never ending ending it becomes a soap
    BS

Comment by kbf – June 20, 2011 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We gave up on this show after 4 episodes for two reasons. The first one is that it was not broadcast in HD. When you have an HD television, the picture is terrible with a non-HD show. On top of that, we got tired of Linden staring into space, and the gloomy, depressing atmosphere of the whole thing. If the acting had been great, or if there had been anything at all to hold our interest, we might have hung on. But there was just nothing compelling about The Killing. We realized we were not being entertained, and turned our attention to other things.

Comment by Tawny_Cat – June 21, 2011 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I admit I was initially disappointed when they didn’t solve it. Maybe I still am. I admit to being somewhat torn between Sud’s explanation and some of the critics. I think it could have been better, maybe by solving, but using that to introduce a new twist that compels the viewer to return. Maybe like a twist where the “solution” can be viewed in multiple dimensions, possibly even look like a frame?

Comment by Leroy Brown – June 21, 2011 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No more of this show. If the Danish show had 20 episodes, and this one was to have 13, then fit the plot into the 13! Was this going to be the ending if there was not a Season 2? Count us out for next year.

Comment by Irritated – June 21, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh the season finale was disappointing to say the least. And I am sorry if your defense is that our brains are “trained ” to have a murder solved in 1 episode.. um this wasn’t 1 episode it was 13. And when you promo something like ” who killed rosie” over and over again Some viewers would actually like to know who did it! Just too many holes, too many unanswered questions and nothing really to bring me back except for the relationship

Comment by maggie – June 21, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …cont.. between the detectives and we can already see that has diminished. Not sure if I will tune in next season.

Comment by maggie – June 21, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do not understand the criticism. The plot takes place day by day, in your opinion, all the secrets that life reserves are resolved immediately? The way in which the killing was filmed makes it clear that it is not Ugly Betty or Desperate Housewives. I do not want to be rude, but what did you expect?

Comment by Sun – June 22, 2011 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The implicit contract here between AMC struck with the viewers is that we will sit through 13 episodes on ONE police investigation, through the redirections of the finger of suspicion shifting from one character to another, in exchange for the payoff of FINALLY finding out who the actual killer in the grand finale. What we got instead was a total breach of trust. How long does AMC think they can keep stringing people along while they milk the cash cow? The Killing: Season 8 — five years on Linden and Holder are still hot on the case, having suspected and re-suspected every character in the show several times over. I, for one, am done.

Comment by mike robinson – June 22, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post