Emmys

Daytime Emmys: GH and B&B Win Big; Lucci Declares Daytime TV to Be 'Alive and Well'

Get More: Awards, Daytime TV, Emmys, News

General Hospital and The Bold and the Beautiful were the big winners at this year’s Daytime Emmy Awards.

ABC’s mob-and-medicine sudser bested all comers by amassing eight total statuettes, including six at Saturday’s Creative Arts ceremony, while B&B scored the most big wins (four) during Sunday night’s CBS telecast.

Among the most major categories, B&B was named Outstanding Drama Series, journeyman Michael Park won Lead Actor (for his work as Jack on the now-defunct As The World Turns), and Laura Wright (GH‘s Carly) grabbed Lead Actress gold.

The Sunday presentation was lightning-fast when it came to handing out the actual soap opera accolades, with the guy who rattles off legal disclaimers at the end of radio commercials seemingly reading the nominees. But plenty of time was freed up to pay tribute to host city Las Vegas, former daytime talk queen Oprah Winfrey (who did not bother to appear in person), Las Vegas, Susan Lucci, Las Vegas again, and Pat Sajak and Alex Trebek (who had to share this year’s Lifetime Achievement Award).

Host Wayne Brady got off to a clunky start, dwelling perhaps too much (judging by Lucci’s face) on daytime’s two dying-on-the-vine soaps, All My Children and One Life to Live. In their defense, Lucci later said on stage, “Daytime television is alive and well — look at all the talent in this building tonight!” Similarly, Y&R headwriter Maria Bell, in accepting her Emmy for Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series, called soap operas “one of the most amazing art forms in America. Don’t give up, we’re here to stay.”

Here’s a list of most of the Emmys handed out over the weekend:

Outstanding Drama Series: B&B
Lead Actor: Michael Park, ATWT
Lead Actress: Laura Wright, GH
Supporting Actor: Jonathan Jackson (Lucky, GH), who in the spirit of Father’s Day brought his two eldest kids, Caleb and Adora, on stage
Supporting Actress: Heather Tom (Katie, B&B)
Younger Actress: Brittany Allen (ex-Marissa, AMC)
Younger Actor: Scott Clifton (Liam, B&B)
Writing: Y&R
Directing: B&B and Y&R (TIE)
Lifetime Achievement Award: game show hosts Pat Sajak and Alex Trebek
The Chariman’s Crystal Pillar Award: Oprah Winfrey
Outstanding Game Show: Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune (TIE)
Talk Show/Informative: The Dr. Oz Show
Talk Show/Entertainment: The Ellen DeGeneres Show
Game Show Host: Ben Bailey, Cash Cab
Talk Show Host: Dr. Mehmet Oz, The Dr. Oz Show, and Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa, Live! (TIE)
Art Direction/Set Decoration/Scenic Design: GH
Lighting Direction: GH
Multiple Camera Editing: Y&R
Casting: GH
Costume Design: Y&R
Hairstyling: AMC
Live & Direct to Tape Sound Mixing: Y&R
Makeup: B&B
Music Direction & Composition: Y&R
Original Song: “Bad for You,” GH
Technical Direction/Electronic Camera/Video Control: GH
Stunt Coordination: GH
Special Class/Short Format: VeniceTheSeries.com

Comments (54)

• Im happy with most of the winners. Think that Tricia Cast and Lexi Ainsworth were robbed. Hated the show. Too much tribute for Vegas and way too much for Oprah. Not enough for the soaps.

Comment by Danielle – June 19, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. I also hated every single minute CBS spent hyping their “Jabot Cosmetics” line. We get it, you’re CBS, it’s from a CBS show, they did not need to beat us over the head with it every two minutes.

Comment by Christine – June 19, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Almost uncanny that CBS hosts yet all the CBS soaps not written by the Bells were killed…and the rest that aren’t dead yet are mostly ignored. So sad that the networks and sponsors these daytime dramas built over the last 50 years are being thrown under the bus for yet more nauseating reality shows. More network “let’s jump on the bandwagon for a buck” mentality.

Comment by Lisa – June 20, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s NO way Brittany Allen should have won over Lexi. I really wonder what Brittany submitted for her reel, because Lexi had so much good material from last year.

Comment by Meg – June 19, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lexi should have won… She is a great actress and slowly becoming one of my GH faves!

Comment by Mandy – June 19, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was SHOCKED that Lexi didn’t win.
      Her abuse storyline was so powerful! I literally remember watching her (on multiple occasions mind you) and thinking to myself, “wow, this is an Emmy winning performance if I’ve ever seen one.” What did Brittany Allen even do last year? Beisdes play ‘angry at JR’ and get fired??
      Regardless of what she did or didn’t do, I can’t see any episode of hers beating out one of Lexi’s during the decision making process. I truly don’t know what happened here…

Comment by allie – June 19, 2011 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the show was abysmal. It was poorly produced and looked more like an informmercial for Las Vegas than an award show. Very little attention was paid to the shows and their actors and WAY too much attention was paid to Oprah, who wasn’t even there. Seriously? An almost twenty minute tribute to someone who couldn’t be bothered to show up and accept the award? It was truly a sad display during a time when soaps are fighting for their industry’s survival.

Comment by Gina – June 19, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more completely. From the terrible opening “number” to the constant Las Vegas promotions. Oprah, who was MADE by daytime television, couldn’t be bothered to show up for her own tribute???? It’s not like this was The People’s Choice Awards. It’s The Emmy Awards, Oprah! I realize you have a mess on your OWN hands, but come on.

Comment by Bob – June 20, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed. horrible production. and FF thru all the Oprah bs

Comment by fran – June 20, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have not seen it yet… but have heard how bad it was…. not enough attention to real actors is not a good thing…. makes the community wonder if it is worth being an actor …. people take too much advantage of the acting community and when soaps are almost a lost media, why do you persist in hammering it into the ground?? I am not a soap watcher but I am an actor with desire to keep acting … taking away from the industry is a crime and when you have no where to entertain yourselves, where are you then????

Comment by firefox – June 19, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this is what the networks and Academy think of daytime then its no wonder shows are being cancelled and there will be not shows left soon. The awards were rush, the jokes were lame and the backstaged interviews even worse. There wasn’t enough time for Scott Clifton to give his acceptance award but there was five minutes for Liza Huber and Shemar Moore to fawn over Susan Lucci (not that she doesn’t deserve fawning, but come on!) I just don’t get it. I would have preferred that they didn’t air the awards.

Comment by Jaime – June 19, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG Liza Huber was there?! I loved her on Passions!

Comment by Sivat – June 19, 2011 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t have minded the constant commercials for Las Vegas and Jabot IF they had taken their time and celebrated our soaps.

Comment by Denise – June 19, 2011 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I realize the economics of it all, and Las Vegas was helping pay to get the show on the air, but there needs to be balance. And what was with the constant pitches for the Children’s Miracle Network? I don’t want to see kids with cancer and cleft palates during an awards show, sorry.

Comment by Abe Froman – June 20, 2011 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the Charity spots put everything in perspective and wish the Oscars would do the same.

Comment by Renee Galloway – June 21, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The headline is misleading. Lucci didn’t say soaps are alive and well. She said “Daytime television is alive and well”. Big difference. Daytime television takes in everything. Talk shows. Game shows. She didn’t say soaps are alive and well. She’s not delusional.

Comment by TV Gord – June 19, 2011 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh FINE, Gord. I didn’t want “Daytime” in my headline twice, but….

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 19, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, Matt, but it changes the entire meaning of what she said.

Comment by TV Gord – June 19, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It does change the entire meaning of what she said, Matt. It’s misleading. You’re sacrificing fair and honest reporting for word choice.

Other media outlets will see your headline and regurgitate it and report something that Susan never said.

It should be fixed.

And no, I’m not making a big deal out of this. This is how rumors get started and you’re contributing to it.

Comment by Janine – June 20, 2011 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was so grossed out, bored, underwhelmed, etc after 45 mins that I turned on “Falling Skies”. Such missed opportunities to laud actors, pump up/excite people about daytime, do something to try to drive viewers to ALL soaps…even if the venue was donated in exchange for promotion of it & Vegas…just terrible.

Comment by Jessalex – June 19, 2011 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That show was only abot 15 minutes dedicated to soaps. Everything else was about Vegas and Oprah. The Oprah tribute was horrible especially when she couldn’t bother to show up. Add an extra 30 minutes to the Primtime telecast and present the daytime winners then.

Comment by Jenny – June 19, 2011 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The biggest problem with the daytime Emmy’s was that Oprah tribute, really do you need two songs plus an entire video to pay tribute to her. Dissapointed that they didn’t have any videos like they usually do on the best drama category to recap the year and only a tribute to Susan Lucii really there are a lot more actors who star in All My Children not just her plus nothing but a joke about One Life To Live, what a disgrace to soaps everywhere.

Comment by Terri – June 19, 2011 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oprah was on 25 years, All My Children and One Life to Live 40+… so where was the tribute to those shows?

Comment by Abe Froman – June 20, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tricia Cast was robbed. The Daytime Emmys suck!

Comment by Sivat – June 19, 2011 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was dismayed that there were no clips and they couldn’t bother saying which shows nominees were on. It was a giant commercial for Jabot Cosmetics, CBS.com and its contest & Vegas. Oprah not being there was just the icing on the cake. Did we need to hear those songs by Celine, Marie Osmond & Gladys Knight? Were there even soap stars in the audience? They sure weren’t on stage…

Comment by Michelle – June 19, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melissa Claire Egan was robbed!! Besides Susan, Debbi, and Julia Barr, she was the best of AMC’s actresses!! They should’ve a tribute to Susan Lucci, Agnes Nixon & AMC!! Shame on the emmys

Comment by Jacob – June 19, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think when the next Daytime Emmys rolls around, there will only be 3 soaps left on the air. Clearly and sadly, the industry does not have an interest in soaps anymore. I think the Daytime Emmys won’t be around for much longer. I can’t imagine them doing a show just for daytime talk shows.

Comment by EV – June 19, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If there is a Daytime Emmy telecast next year, both AMC and OLTL will still be eligible for awards based on shows airing this year. In fact, if OLTL is still airing in January 2012 then it’ll be eligible for Emmy awards at the 2013 show! I’m a long-time AMC fan and even I can’t believe that Brittany Allen (ex-Marissa) won. She was the dullest actor on the show last year. Even Denise Vasi (Randi) acts better than she does! Hard to believe that heavy weights like Debbi Morgan, Alicia Minshew and Melissa Claire Egan all lost while Brittany Allen won! Better luck next year (yeah…right…who am I kidding?).

Comment by dan – June 20, 2011 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree, Dan; I love, love, love All My Children (have watched it since the beginning), but Brittany was like watching paint dry. Not a lover of the character of Marissa anyway; it was so poorly conceived in that they didn’t really need to kill off Babe just to bring on a twin that Krystal never mentioned before. At least Sarah Glendening brings some personality to the role, but if Marissa ends up with Bianca, at least Bianca will have found love before the show ends.

I also agree that the tributes should be next year if there is another Emmy broadcast. What irks me the most is that it is so evident that both of the shows replacing AMC and OLTL are expected to fail. Frons has not been able to produce any research that proves the viewers of these soaps want this kind of programming. I’ve already given up on ABC except for AMC. They keep cancelling quality programming like “Brothers and Sisters” and I will watch only the shows I like (Private Practice) online. I refuse to give them ratings.

That all being said, the Daytime Emmys broadcast sucked; Wayne Brady was a horrible host, and the fact that their supposedly #1 star couldn’t show up for her tribute is a travesty.

Comment by Smooshiest – June 20, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Daytime Emmys were terrible. There was too much Las Vegas butt kissing. That was the main gripe I had with last year’s show and it happened again this year in even more dreadful fashion. The backstage correspondent was horrendous and I really felt bad for the actors/actresses who had to pretend to actually give a crap about what was happening during the “interview”. I would have loved to see the highlight reels of all the actors/actress who were nominated. Plus, I miss those video packages recapping the year for each of the Best Drama nominees. They just rushed through the whole thing like it meant nothing. It’s quite sad.

Comment by Sunshine – June 19, 2011 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That wasn’t a backstage correspondent, that was a commercial spokesperson. All those Jabot spots were essentially commercials for Y&R (thanks CBS for product placement of your own show during the telecast, how pathetic). And note to Tracey Bregman: step away from the plastic surgery! You used to be pretty, now you’re frightening!

Comment by dan – June 20, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Horrible,Oprah had her good byes her ass didn’t show up…Who cares if she is gone honestly….what a waste if time…

Comment by laura – June 19, 2011 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lexi Ainsworth was robbed! Everyone thought she was a lock to win in her category. Something must have been wrong with the voters!

Comment by Melissa – June 19, 2011 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • COMPLETELY agree!

Comment by Morgan – June 19, 2011 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you too!! I don’t know how anyone could beat Lexi after last year. Must be because AMC got cancelled??

Comment by Kristy – June 20, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, that was the daytime emmys I fast forwarded through, I mean watched? Could have fooled me! Looked more like a bad vegas/orlando/atlantis/cbs commercial! And reallly Oprah, too busy to even show up for your own personalized award? Wow! The fact that they didn’t make this all about the soaps is beyond upsetting, disrespectful and disgusting!! What happened to the acting and show clips? What happened to actually caring about soap operas at the daytime emmys? And don’t even get me started about melissa egan, maurice bernard and general hospital not winning! Sooo disappointed and all around annoyed!

Comment by jamie – June 19, 2011 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Days ever considered for anything. It seems there is no love whatsoever for this soap.

Comment by dee dee – June 20, 2011 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While all shows are unrealistic, DAYS is by far the most ridiculous of the bunch.

Comment by jules – June 20, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So thrilled about Brittany Allen winning! She did such a great job as Marissa Chandler!

As for Susan Lucci, it was wonderful to see her “unofficially” honored, as well.

I’m going to miss All My Children!

Comment by tazzy – June 20, 2011 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Jonathan Jackson won and happy GH didn’t win best Drama or Writing.

Comment by Renee – June 20, 2011 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I taped it-thankfully.

Yes, sadly soaps are being replaced by reality types-the talk show format. I won’t DVR them! I think they will find, like in other areas of TV, if the quality is not there, people will not DVR and will find other things to do! Oh, my-could this be the end of the idiot box?

Comment by Bon – June 20, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get that commercials for Vegas were necessary in order to get the show on the air to be paid for, but that still does not make the production good. I missed the clips of the acting.

Comment by Liam – June 20, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the show on tape and ended up fast forwarding through all non soap moments. (I think I watched like 15 mins total, if that) The show looked pretty bad. It was very annoying how much it was focused on the other type of shows. I am so sad that soaps seem to be dying. BTW I did love the part with Shemar Moore and Susan Lucci! Of course I would love anything with Shemar Moore!

Comment by mandy – June 20, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too and I watched the entire thing while my husband walked the dog. SAD!!!

Comment by Kim Goodwin – June 20, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They couldn’t spare five minutes for a tribute to soaps lost or soaps soon departing? And maybe 30 seconds for each of the nominated actors scenes? Guess the lame Cirque de Elvis and the boring dancers at the opening were just too important to spare that time.

Comment by wasabi – June 20, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lexi Ainsworth was robbed!! It’s not often that soaps actually hit so realistically on real subjects. Lexi did a perfect portrayal of a young girl being abused, and she deserved that Emmy!

Comment by Kristy – June 20, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with everything that was said above. I knew from the opening number with Wayne Brady that we were in trouble. The soaps appeared to be nothing more than an afterthought. The talented actors of daytime deserved so much more than what they got.

And yes, we need to show a little love for Days of Our Lives!

Comment by Mary – June 20, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love GH and have watched it for years but I’m glad it didn’t win for Best Drama or Best Writing. That would have validated Guza in a way he doesn’t deserve to be.

Comment by jules – June 20, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GH wasn’t even nominated in those categories…

Comment by Abe Froman – June 20, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The emmys were a complete joke. If they had to do the Vegas infomercial, then why not have some of the daytime actors do it? There was no reason for Marie to sing. If they wanted to do the military music tribute then why not have Kassie DePaiva or Bobbie Eakes do it? Daytime has a lot of talented singers. The three could have been Kassie, Bobbie and Kathy Brier, who perform in concerts together. The Oprah tribute was unneeded. She already had a life time award tribute. This did not need to take that long.

I agree that it would have been nice to see the montage of the nominated soaps, and the clips of why people were nominated. There was way too much focus on talk shows, and they couldn’t even be bothered to go. Regis, Kelly, The View, and Ellen didn’t bother to show. They ones that did were the daytime actors, and they got completely snubbed by the telecast.

Comment by amb – June 20, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One word to describe last night’s award show HORRIBLE…..

Comment by Jo Ann – June 20, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooooo…..just checking…..but is Days of our Lives still on the air? Not even one award? Seriously?

Comment by Peter Griffin – June 20, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay for Laura Wright!!

Comment by Melanie – June 21, 2011 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Outstanding Children’s Animated Shows (2011) I think Dinosaur Train should have won. I hope next year (2012) Dinosaur Train wins. Dinosaur Train is my Favorite Show.

Comment by Samantha – September 22, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post