Glee Boss Confirms Graduation Plan (Whom Will You Miss Most?), Blasts 'Recast' Rumor

There’s no dodging the issue — all of the Glee characters who were juniors this past season will graduate from McKinley High in May 2012, with their portrayers (presumably) leaving the show.

Speaking on Ryan Seacrest’s radio show Friday morning, Glee creator Ryan Murphy held firm to his previously revealed transition plan, saying that for original characters such as Rachel, Finn, Quinn and Puck, “This next [season] will be their senior year, and then that [they] will graduate.”

“We didn’t want to have a show where they were in high school for eight years,” he explained. “We really wanted  to be true to that experience.”

To proactively fill the void (Murphy said he’s loath to use the words “eliminating or replacing”), brand-new, younger characters will be woven into McKinley’s ranks over the coming season — a few in the fall, and a couple more at midseason. Only one of the newbies, however, will be the product of the Glee Project reality show now airing on Oxygen.

Glee Recruits Buffy Vet Marti Noxon Plus Five New Writers

“There’s a couple rumors floating around, that half the cast is go to be replaced by the winner of The Glee Project, which is not true,” Murphy told Seacrest. Rather, only the singular winner of that reality competition will join Glee, for at least seven episodes.

Eye On Emmy: Glee Star Chris Colfer’s Comedy Kudos Quandary, ‘I Cry In Every Episode!’

Murphy notes that while his original young cast will leave “sort of an indelible mark,” he is looking forward to the challenge of introducing America to a new wave of relatively unknown talents poised to generate fresh buzz (and, who knows, maybe land in a controversial Rolling Stone layout). Besides, not everyone is leaving; Murphy envisions Matthew Morrison and Jane Lynch as “the male and female lynchpins of the series” even as young’uns come and go.

But, he says, Glee “is a celebration of youth and talent and … finding those young unknown people and giving them an opportunity to break into the business and become stars is a really fun and exciting thing, and is the spirit of the series.”

1. kimmy says:

I don’t care about reality (and I don’t see when Ryan Murphy started to care about realistic plot, has he seen the 2 seasons of Glee???). Glee is Lea Michele. Without her, there’s no show

2. Sarah says:

He’s gonna kill the show. I won’t watch once Artie, Mercedes, Puck, Quinn, and Tina are gone. Matthew Morrison and Jane Lynch are great, but they can’t hold this show alone.

3. Eddie says:

So Finn was the captain of the football team during his sophomore year (season 1) and Quinn was also captan of the Cheerios during her sophomore year? How does that make any sense? If you ask me, the show’s continuity is so messed up they should just keep them in high school forever. Because to worry about continuity… well… we Glee fans are already used to not having that.

4. tvfreak says:

To be honest, I only now watch the show for the musical numbers and the characters (Finchel,Klaine in particular). I may watch the first episode with the new character but knowing how badly written it is already (Hoping the new writers can improve the show), I’m not hoping much that it will go on with new characters. I will give it a chance, but I don’t know if I would stay…

As for the spin-off (Rachel & Kurt going to New York, etc.), as much as I would love the idea, I’m not so keen about it, as let’s be honest, how many spin-offs have worked???

5. Mars says:

OH THANK GOD!!!!!!!! Or thank Murphy, whichever. Season 2 was pretty painful – although I enjoyed most of the performances, the same rehashed plotlines (rachel/finn/quinn, glee vs. football, shue vs. sue, etc.) were really testing my patience. I’m definitely over some of the characters (RACHEL most of all) and I can’t wait to see more NEW stories, if I can last until season 4…

6. She says:

not gonna watch the show anymore without the orig. cast

7. Meg says:

This isn’t such a bad idea.. they are running out of potential couples within the group anyway. How many different New Directions members can each kid date?

8. Meg says:

Lea Michele IS Glee, for me anyway, and I don’t think that I’ll be able to watch the show without her. I’ll watch the third season, but I won’t be tuning in after the season finale. The idea of a New York spin-off with Rachel and Kurt is an exciting one, but I doubt that it will come to fruition, so I’m trying not to get my hopes up.

9. Jo3y says:

IM GONNA MISS RACHEL!!!!!!!

10. CMH says:

Well I just gonna say this I bet it didnt take that long for everyone to get used to Sam and Blaine. THEY WERE NEW CHARACTERS. But I understand its hard to adjust to something or one that you just met. I mean its gonna be hard but its like transferring schools sure you have no friends at first and maybe you hate everybody but you always find a way to make friends. RIGHT! so just think of it this way sure your saying goodbye to your friends and moving on but your always gonna make new friends sure you may not like them at first but they grow on you. IM not ready to let go either but its time to move on and you can always go back and watch the episode they were in. SO its win-win for everybody…<3

11. Hanna says:

In my eyes, the show NEEDS Lea Michele AND Chris Colfer. They are most popular, and have the greatest voice. Losing them will be a HUGE mistake! And I’m watching cuz’ Chris plays, and thats it. No Chris, no me.

12. Gloria says:

Glee without Rachel and Quinn would suck…. Really I want a nice Quinn this season she should met Beth be able to sing more, be happy for once finds real love (maybe Puck) and Rachel I want an independent Strong Rachel not drooling around Finn… When they graduate i’m out.

13. Goldfish says:

I’m done with Glee as soon as Rachel and Kurt are out. The storyline of Glee is actually very simple: show choir people surviving high school. But what makes Glee so special, attaining that much fame in just 2 seasons, is how it explores the characters into the depths never taken before, and that’s what makes us love Glee! Murphy himself stated on Oprah that Lea has one-in-a-generation voice, and we know that she is like Barbra 2, so, Murphy is letting go a Streisand that has been holding us, millions of fans??

14. Brad says:

Alot of you guys need to chill. I think it’s great they are going to do cast changes. This is a high school and people don’t go to high school for 10 years.

This is a top show and also earns a fortune in merchandising. Ryan Murphy is not dumb enough to make changes that will damage the show. Saying you’ll never watch again is pretty childish since you haven’t watch how the new one is going.

15. Kaitlin says:

Quinn dianna agron its just not a show without her

16. zimoash20 says:

Glee is nothing without Finn, Rachel, Quinn, Kurt, Santana, Britney and Puck… Actually I want to see more of Quinn and Puck….
    The show can’t survive without these characters and this will be the worst decision that they ever made

17. I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i’m satisfied reading your article. However want to statement on few general issues, The website style is wonderful, the articles is in reality great : D. Just right job, cheers