Glee Boss Confirms Graduation Plan (Whom Will You Miss Most?), Blasts 'Recast' Rumor

There’s no dodging the issue — all of the Glee characters who were juniors this past season will graduate from McKinley High in May 2012, with their portrayers (presumably) leaving the show.

Speaking on Ryan Seacrest’s radio show Friday morning, Glee creator Ryan Murphy held firm to his previously revealed transition plan, saying that for original characters such as Rachel, Finn, Quinn and Puck, “This next [season] will be their senior year, and then that [they] will graduate.”

“We didn’t want to have a show where they were in high school for eight years,” he explained. “We really wanted  to be true to that experience.”

To proactively fill the void (Murphy said he’s loath to use the words “eliminating or replacing”), brand-new, younger characters will be woven into McKinley’s ranks over the coming season — a few in the fall, and a couple more at midseason. Only one of the newbies, however, will be the product of the Glee Project reality show now airing on Oxygen.

Glee Recruits Buffy Vet Marti Noxon Plus Five New Writers

“There’s a couple rumors floating around, that half the cast is go to be replaced by the winner of The Glee Project, which is not true,” Murphy told Seacrest. Rather, only the singular winner of that reality competition will join Glee, for at least seven episodes.

Eye On Emmy: Glee Star Chris Colfer’s Comedy Kudos Quandary, ‘I Cry In Every Episode!’

Murphy notes that while his original young cast will leave “sort of an indelible mark,” he is looking forward to the challenge of introducing America to a new wave of relatively unknown talents poised to generate fresh buzz (and, who knows, maybe land in a controversial Rolling Stone layout). Besides, not everyone is leaving; Murphy envisions Matthew Morrison and Jane Lynch as “the male and female lynchpins of the series” even as young’uns come and go.

But, he says, Glee “is a celebration of youth and talent and … finding those young unknown people and giving them an opportunity to break into the business and become stars is a really fun and exciting thing, and is the spirit of the series.”

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Tucker says:

May 2012, maybe?

2. Dick Whitman says:

They should graduate the show.

3. Mary says:

I have a hard enough time watching as it is, but get rid of Rachel and I’m gone. Maybe that would be a blessing in disguise. Lea Michelle’s voice is the saving grace to that show IMO, and without her I really have no interest. So yeah, I went from not being okay with this to being okay all in two sentences.

• Delon says:

“Lea Michelle’s voice is the saving grace to that show”

• angelstorm says:

I totally agree – Glee is just not Glee without Lea Michele ! I’m not liking this idea AT ALL !

• Josh says:

I believe you mean autotune is the saving grace of the show. Let’s be honest, please.

• Sharon says:

Have you ever heard them live??? Lea Michele, Matthew Morrison and Jenna Ushkowitz have all been on Broadway, where there is no autotune. Plus, many of the have debut albums. Sure they use autotune, but not like pop crap on the radio.

• Asha says:

Lea Michelle is the reason that I stopped watching. She is so stuck in musical theatre mode and the emoting that she does is so hideous. Her teeth always look like they are trying to escape her mouth. Can’t wait for her to hit the road. Go back to Broadway where you belong.

• Paris says:

Haters gonna hate. Lea Michele is Glee and she doesn’t need you to watch because she already has millions watching

• Lauren says:

I totally agree. Lea Michele is gone, I’m gone. But then again, I don’t want her forced into the plot of later seasons by making her a teacher or something. I want Rachel to make it to Broadway. It would be cool if they had random pop-ups from the old cast though, like Rachel comes back to visit her dads for an episode and pops into the new Glee club. But I’m pretty sure I won’t watch it anymore, unless the next season’s quality picks up. It has been atrocious lately, and I’ve only been watching it for Lea Michele’s amazing voice and the Broadway songs they occasionally do (can we PLEASE get a Spring Awakening number before she leaves?)

• Silver says:

If you’re such a fan you should know that it’s Lea Michele not Michelle

• kyrjar says:

We all know who the post is about with one or two l’s.

I think plenty of people appreciate Lea whether or not they know how to spell her last name

• Topher says:

It’s called a typo Silver. No need to start throwing stones. Her name is often misspelled even on call sheets. If she doesn’t make an issue of it you shouldn’t either. Everyone knew who the post was about.

• Captain says:

It’s so true. Ryan can fib all he wants but we all know who the true star or “lynchpin” of the show is and it’s Rachel. Without her, this show is sunk. There’s a reason Lea Michele is the breakout star of the show and she’s the star of like every group number they do. There’s no Glee without Rachel Berry.

4. Alice says:

Last season i watch glee without Quinn and Rachel

• lia29 says:

Yes, I will miss Dianna’s beautiful face just as much as Lea’s voice. I just wish they wrote Quinn better. Dianna should be allowed to smile more, she’s too adorable not to. And please let her meet Beth one time before she graduates. The song choices for that storyline are endless! Hopefully they revisit Puck and Quinn as well.

5. See Ya Glee says:

This cast is the reason I still watch, once they go then I go.

6. Christina says:

I don’t think Glee is a show that can survive a complete overhaul of the cast. Season 2 already took its hits, getting rid of Finn, Rachel, and Kurt will kill this show.

• Captain says:

I have to agree. The best example of a cast overhaul (and similar situtation) that worked is Friday Night Lights but that was because they created unique new characters that were just as compelling and likable (well…not Becky) as the original cast. However, the difference there is that Eric/Tammy Taylor really carried that show so it didn;t feel like much had changed. Glee is a different story. The kids are what make the show. People don’t tune in for Matthew Morrison. Without Rachel, Finn, Brittany, Santana and Kurt, there is no Glee. They are why people tune in. I don’t see the new cast working out as well.

• Eolra says:

I dunno – the Degrassi franchise has cycling their cast for years and it’s always worked out for them. Sure, it’s hard to imagine the show without certain characters, but you get used to it faster than you think, especially when the new characters are written into the existing storylines gradually. *shrug*

• Roderic says:

Yes, but the Degrassi franchise also recycled the same old plots and gave them to new students just to keep the show going, so for long time viewers of the show, there was a major case of been there, done that, no longer need to watch this.

Perhaps Glee should just consider wrapping up completely after season 3, because season 2 was a mess, and I feel like the influx of new characters to the already crowded canvas will just make things messier.

• Michael says:

I couldn’t disagree more. As long as these kids are talented, people will keep coming back. It’s not like we’re watching the show for its original storylines and character development. If they sing well and have a good chemistry, I’m on board for as long as America can tolerate Ryan Murphy.

7. Jul says:

If think it’s Ryan Murphy’s best idea. Like Skins UK, this future recast of all the characters will give a new fresh start to that show, after 3 seasons.

• Dani in NC says:

As much as I like all the actors that are currently on the show, I really watch for the musical numbers and the snappy dialogue. There have been school-based shows in the past that have managed to carry on by doing exactly what Murphy is suggesting: easing in freshman before the seniors graduate. I bet that by the time May 2012 comes around we will have become attached to the new characters introduced in September 2011.

Of course, Jul also has a good point. Skins UK does a total recast every other season and it works for them. I never think that I am going to like the new cast but the writing grabs me every time. Let’s hope the same will happen with Glee.

• Rebeccapedia says:

I adore Skins and I like the cast change, but it works because they have fresh, young, extremely talented writers and every character gets an amazing story arc and specific episode each season (I know a couple of them got d***ed over, especially Panda in s4, at least the last episode was rather Naomi-centric) but Glee just doesn’t bother with most of that. They really lucked out with their casting, and maybe Ryan does have a really good eye, and he’ll pull some new amazing young ingenues off Broadway and everyone will be wowed, but the fact is he and Brad, two thirds of what the show is now, are starting to work on a new show, and I know we’re getting six new writers which is FANTASTIC news, (especially the Chuck and Buffy alums!) but I still feel the writing and the characterizations would have to be a lot stronger for this to work.
      Then again, a lot of people don’t care as much and once they get a pretty, likable girl who can sing reasonably well and be auto-tuned to ridiculous levels they’ll be happy.

I don’t think Glee is good enough for Lea, but I do love that it means I get to see her show off her incredible singing, comedic and emotional powerhouse on a weekly basis.

I’m also really sad that we probably wont get to see characters like Quinn, Puck (although Puck has actually had some lovely characterization this year, there’s a gif of him throwing Kurt in the bin from early season one next to him laughing and leaning his head on Kurt’s shoulder when Rachel and Santana are having their Willow/stripper fight that sums it up nicely) and Mike really rounded out before they leave. I wish so badly Quinn belonged to Skins, she really reminds me of Mini actually, and in eight episodes Mini’s had a hundred times more character development than Quinn has in her 44.

Basically Skins works because everything is really high quality, writing, casting, cinematography, direction, it’s all damn near perfect, where as Glee works because Ian is really funny and the current cast are phenomenally talented.

8. Anne says:

I’m sorry, I watch for Kurt and Rachel. I have no intentions of watching past their departure.

• Harmograz says:

I agree. I love glee but the main reason I watch is for Kurt/Blaine and Rachel and the music. I’m hoping they’ll do some sort of spinoff show because I’m not ready to say goodbye to Chris Colfer yet (:

9. Jo says:

I hate the idea of losing the cast. Puck is my main reason for watching.

10. Corinne says:

I’m going to keep in open mind about this. It could be great introducing a new set of kids with a new set of issues, helping Glee prevent getting stale.

11. Britney says:

Considering the cast is pretty much the only reason a lot of people still watch, this will be a disaster. I know the Glee Experiment or whatever had really low ratings and the network was confused, and they shouldn’t be, it’s simple. It’s not Glee itself that people love anymore, it’s the cast. We won’t just watch anything because it has the name on it. Ryan should be looking for ways to stretch their stay longer, like making S3/4 into one school year or something.

• A says:

Agreed. Even the critics are starting to wane. It’s no longer the writing, but the way it’s executed by the actors that’s keeping them interested.

• Captain says:

I don’t understand why he’s rushing them off. One Tree Hill got 4 seasons out of two “years” of high school. He should have followed a similar timeline. That way, he could lay the groundwork for new characters this season while adding the final newbies next year so when the originals graduate, we’d already be attached to them (or atleast used to them).

• C says:

The problem with that kind of story boarding is that there is only one sectionals, regionals and nationals per calendar year. Since the Glee club is always building towards one of those competitions then it wouldn’t really work as a multi-year show.

I’m with most of the above posters, the reason I continue to tune in each week is to see what’s going on with Rachel, Kurt, Santana and Brittany. If the only original cast members I get to see in Season 4 are Will and Sue, then I’ll be giving up that DVR spot to another show. Will is not the central character that I think they want him to be, and Sue is a shell of her former self. The problem is, while I would love to continue with the original cast members after high school, you risk the “college” curse.

12. Tee says:

I watch Glee for Puck, Quinn, and for the hope of a Quick reunion. So my interest in Glee wasn’t very high this year. I think a new cast would be even worst. But I will give the new cast a chance. Everything deserves a chance. I just don’t think it looks good.

• Cassie says:

This is exactly what I was wanting in Season 2 as well, it seemed like the whole Quick story was just erased and never happened. The never really addressed the fact that Quinn actually had a baby in this season, and I always thought that Quick were the best couple on Glee. Let’s hope something happens in Season 3, before they graduate.

13. Ben says:

I don’t think I would watch if there was no Rachel, Puck or Santana. I like the others, but they are the main reason I watch.

14. Anon says:

I don’t know if it can survive it. No more Dianna Agron? No more Glee for me. (I hate when people hastily threaten to stop watching a show. I wouldn’t say it if I wasn’t 99% sure it was true. I was barely hanging on anyway.)

15. Heather says:

But I sort of hope Rachel gets a spinoff along with the original cast. It would be nice to know where they end up

16. Ashton says:

They should give Rachel and Kurt and Blaine (and Finn if he and Rachel stay together), they’re own spin off, since Rachel and Kurt are planning on moving to NYC.

• Anne says:

I’d watch that long before I’d watch a Kurt-less Glee. Part of me keeps hoping (if they ARE graduating this year) that the finale really was hinting at that as a possibility.

• Lindsey says:

I would LOVE to see a spin-off with Rachel, Finn, Kurt and Blaine! They are my favorites, and it would be awesome to watch them grow up together! I am totally cool with the cast graduating and moving on, but I do think a spin-off could be great for some of the originals! Could those four get an apartment together in New York? Imagine the insanity that could ensue!

• Shester says:

Soooo agree! Rachel, and especially Kurt and Blaine, kept ME watching!!!

17. Matt says:

Could be good, could be bad; but it certainly makes sense in terms of the story.

Unlike some viewers, I’ll at least wait to meet the new kids before I pass judgment that they’ll never measure up and the show is doomed.

After all, it really only took me a couple episodes to get on board with the current group…

18. Mercedes says:

This was kind of an idea that David Shore never truly recovered from on House, but I think it’s smart to keep the show moving. The current story lines are starting to get tired, and you can only pair so many people together. Then again, I really only watch for the music. (Then again, I doubt Ryan Murphy actually cares about my or anyone else’s opinion. I hope he doesn’t.)

19. Bess77 says:

Past tense of weave is woven, guy, not weaved.

20. A says:

Ryan seems to think that his writing is keeping the show on the radars, which is far from the point. The show has rapidly declined in quality since the front 13 because the creators and producers (who, stupidly, are also the ONLY writers so far) started caring more about profit than their show. This cast is what’s keeping this show going, and I’m not including Morrison OR Lynch since their characters have become nearly unbearable this last season.

• Becca says:

Agreed! The writing just went downhill this past season, while the acting actually got better. The current cast is the only reason people are still watching.

• Lindsey says:

You said exactly what I’ve been saying since pretty much the back nine of season one. This show isn’t what it used to be, and a huge part of that is because of the creators’ constantly growing heads and pockets. The writing is seriously lacking, and I’ll be surprised if I continue watching all the way through season 3. No one really cares about the storyline anymore because there IS no storyline. Ryan Murphy needs to realize that (yeah, right) and just end it with their graduation.

21. Summer says:

So only one more year to watch. Sorry but mr shue is the worst character on the show.

• Lindsey says:

Agreed. He is easily replaceable. Matthew Morrison is a good singer (though he really needs to stop rapping on the show) but a terrible actor, and the character is boring.

• Lisa says:

OMG yes, I can’t stand him, I was so rooting for Mr. Shue to leave for good in the season finale :eye roll: of course that would never happen. But it’s sad, cause I used to like him. And Sue was a trainwreck last season too. So yeah, I’m thrilled that those too will stay..

lol I know I’m bitter. It’s just hard to lose my good friends, Rachel, Kurt, Santana, Brittany, Blaine, Artie.. I’m gonna miss them so much.

22. rochelle says:

Even though I can’t stand Rachel Finn or Quinn, I really don’t know if glee can really survive major character departures. Most of the audience tunes in for the “kids” not Will and sue.

23. aaa516 says:

Once Naya Rivera is off the show, I promise you I won’t be watching. She’s the reason I watched in the first place. These kids are sort of irreplaceable.

• Katyy says:

As will I. Main reasons i watched glee were Santana, brittany, and of course brittana. Second Naya is gone, I am too. And making Brittany fail? That’s just horrible. Way to go Ryan murphey, way to prove the blonde cheerleader sterotype. -_-

24. Sophie says:

I don’t really want them to spend half the final season we have with these characters focussing on new characters we don’t care about…Like on Skins UK they just dedicate themselves to one group of characters and then move on to the next one(excluding Effy, but that’s different because she was part of the series from the beginning of season 1.) But if Friday Night Lights can do it well, maybe Glee can too? Maybe…?

• pria says:

OMG Friday Night Lights and Glee in the same sentence! Please, there is no comparison. FNL is tv at its best, it’s real, touching, relevant. Glee is practically a fantasy, there’s no continuity, no honesty. The music, snark and Glee club are the only winning factors.

Friday night Lights was mainly about the Taylor family and they remained until the end, that’s why it worked, they kept the heart of the show. In Glee, the heart of the show is the Glee club (Rachel, Finn, Quinn, Santana, Kurt).

I’ll probably keep watching because I love musicals and there is great young talent out there. But the same it won’t be. And FNL it will NEVER be.

25. Michele says:

It’s hard enough watching them try to keep their eyes on the ‘arcs’ with the cast they have. Having them spend the season introducing a new group of tweens when I want real character stuff from the cast I know…. new writing team or not…. not convinced — unless they find a way to give the current cast their own spinoff series.

26. Chris says:

If it weren’t for the cast (I’m not including the adults) I’d have quite watching this mess ages ago.

If they get a new crop of kids, I’m gone.

27. JC says:

I get the desire to not keep them in High School for a ridiculous amount of time but the cast is really part of the charm. You lose these characters we have grown to love and you will probably lose your viewership.

28. taelor says:

That sounds like a great idea! It makes the show more believable, fresh, and new. Other shows have executed this method sensibly and with success. For example, Degrassi is doing great with continually new characters! While some people don’t watch it because characters such as Paige and Spinner are no longer on the show, it got its best ratings in season ten!

29. Cory says:

If the original cast leaves, I will be incredibly enraged. That’s why I watch this show: because I love these characters like they’re my friends (and I realize how pathetic this sounds), even when they’re doing things I don’t necessarily like or agree with. I’m not saying they shouldn’t graduate, but I think they should somehow be worked into the show still.

Or, I could get on board with some sort of Glee spinoff with the original cast, as some people have mentioned. If that happens, I would probably be satisfied. However, if they’re going to make a spinoff of that nature, than they should just make Glee itself into that show. Let’s face it: everyone watches the show for the cast, and viewership would tank if they left. I hope they remain an integral part of the show.

30. Kirei says:

I guess we can look forward to seeing Lea Michele back on Broadway, Chris Colfer doing his next project, and the other Glee kids landing other movies or tv deals. Darren Criss can finally do AVPT, put out a full length studio LP, bring Starship to NY and do his own tour.

• Lily says:

Yeah, as much as we love to see our favorite actors on Glee, it is time for them to move on and grow more as an artist and a person..

• Miriam says:

I agree. Dianna has been making a transition to film already. Cory did one flick as well and i’m sure Lea and Chris have projects they want to do.

31. Hamble says:

My favourite characters on the show are Kurt and Rachel. The acting by Chris Colfer and Lea Michele has transcended some very poor writing in Season 2. I look forward to seeing these two talented performers succeed in the industry and do good work for many years to come. In some ways I’m grateful for the way Murphy is dropping the guillotine on the cast and characters I love: it means a complete break at the end of Season 3. I won’t be watching Season 4. I would however be very interested in the speculated New York spinoff featuring Kurt, Rachel and Blaine.

32. Sara says:

This is a very risky move. They should have made every 2 seasons equal one school year, I think that was Murphy’s original plan. I get that it would be stupid to have these characters be in high school forever, and it wouldn’t make sense to follow these characters in college because it’s centered around a HIGH SCHOOL glee club.
    But…the cast is the reason that this show is so popular. I watch the show every week and love it, but there are some plot lines and characters that I can’t stand. It’s the cast that brings me back every week. Not just the characters, but the actual cast. They have such a great dynamic and strong relationship with the fans, it’s going to be really difficult to see them go.
    However, I felt the same way about Friday Night Lights and was proven wrong.

33. Jessie says:

So is this the musical version of Degrassi?

34. Sam says:

I only watch for Chris COlfer and Lea Michele. I won’t watch Glee when they leave.

35. Anon says:

Kurt and Rachel leaving would be a good thing for me, as I can finally drop this show.

36. PI$$ED OFF says:

37. Elle says:

I know whats happening here look out for a new Glee in the fall of 2012.Alongside this will be the Rachel centered spin off one hour dramedy looking at life in broadway with Kurt and Blaine popping up now and again “Berry On Broadway”.Then there will be Santana and Brittany spinoff a half hour sitcom about the lesbian couple going through day to day life and getting by, by singing it will be called “The L Word”.Then finally there will be the sexy LA set soap featuring Puck,Mike and Quinn living in an apartment block and surviving the sex,lies and scandals of LA it will be called “McKinley Place”.

• Cat says:

Brittany is bi curious, not a lesbian. Santana’s sudden transition to lesbian was hard enough to buy. If they make any more characters that aren’t gays into gsays, i’ll call foul. It’s nice to represent gays, but 4 kids are enough. It’s starting to feel heterophobic, only gay characters get storylines and development. I know the 3 writers are gay and they can’t help but write what they know, but like, make an effort to be realistic. Brittany can’t just decide she’s a lesbian just for the sake of a happy ending with Santana. They’re best friends. Leave it at that.

• Julia says:

You’re a moron. And I don’t say that to be disrespectful to you (you did nothing to me personally), but:

1) Because only Ryan is gay.
        2) Because you don’t even know the meaning of “heterophobic” obviously.
        3) Because you did a wonderful demonstration of latent homophobia.
        4) Because if only the gay characters had storylines this season, it means that Finn, Rachel, Artie, Sam and Quinn are gay, which is incredibly untruthful.
        5) Because you don’t “decide” if you’re in love with someone, whether you’re gay, bi or straight; and whatever your label is, when you’re in love and want to be with the person you love, you stay with that special person, end of story.

I can’t believe there still are people that ignorant and close minded. Someone really needs to be educated.

That being said, once Santana, Quinn, Rachel (and Brittany, even if I’d get over her departure more easily tbh) are gone, I’m done with Glee. Not to be the average threatening viewer, but the real question is: would I still watch the show with so much enthusiasm without them breaking into song? Yes, I would. Because I really, really enjoy the music, and they have amazing voices and are talented performers. But most of all they are beyond awesome in portraying their characters, they bring these high school kids to life, they make us laugh, cry and feel a wide range of emotions. I grew to love these particular kids. The singing part is just a bonus. TPTB could bring every new character they want in the game, even if the actor/actress is talented, it won’t be the same. I started to love Glee not because of the songs and outcasts kids joining a glee club, but because I was hooked by Lea Michele, Dianna Agron, and Naya Rivera (I like the other kids a lot too, though, I just have a soft spot for these 3).

And I have to admit that beyond my bias, Glee without Kurt, Finn and Puck is not Glee anymore.

I’d be thrilled with a spin-off, actually I think it could even be better because they could write something a little more mature for the characters, and I’d love to see something involving Santana, Quinn, Rachel, Britt, Kurt, Puck, even some others.

They don’t all need to go to college. Buffy did something realistic with that kind of situation: Buffy went to college, Oz too, Willow decided to go with them instead of going to England, Xander was a townie but always in the neighbourhood (even participating in some college activities), Cordy left Sunnydale, we were introduced to new characters like Riley or Tara… and to add to that, they still were able to make Giles, Spike, Anya and other characters to fit on a regular basis. So, I guess it’s possible, if only RIB and the network WANT to do that. Especially with every kid falling in love with NYC. They could still shoot at the same location, and have green screen work like they did for Ugly Betty or Grey’s Anatomy. Besides, it would be a great occasion to do some cross-over. Just sayin’.

38. Samantha says:

Yeah, I don’t really watch Glee for their lackluster storylines. I watch for the characters we’ve grown to love and their voices. Once Kurt and Rachel are gone, I’m not sure I’ll give it up but it will not be a priority. Glee used to be so good- what happened?

39. Laurie says:

The writing on Glee was so bad I only watch because of the actors. At least I have an end date for Glee so I’ll watch season 3 to see what happens to Rachel, but after that I’m done. I’m not getting attached to new characters now that I know how bad the writing and continuity is. Basing the show around Matt Morrison is a horrible idea because his character has become so unlikable.

• iMarty says:

He’s become a horrible mentor as well. WTF was he thinking not making the kids write songs before New York? And when he gets there he doesn’t help them? He basically takes the free trip to NY to sing on Broadway. Ugh. And would they stop with the horrible original songs? Are they kidding me thinking those songs are better than those of well knows artits like Coldplay (Viva la Vita would be epic) or the greatest ballads of all time? Come on Glee. I don’t know how they made 12th place to be honest.

40. Stacey says:

He’s dreaming if he thinks Glee can go on with the majority of it’s current cast gone, replaced with a new crop. I wouldn’t watch without Lea. Rachel and Finn. Lea’s Rachel makes the show. I don’t care if true to the real high school experience. I won’t watch with the whole cast replaced except for Shue and Sue. Sue is already expendable. Without Rachel…sorry! No go for me!

41. SM says:

Since I watch for Rachel and Puck, (The only reason I tune in) them leaving just means I won’t have to watch this train wreck anymore.

Lea, Di, Mark and Cory can go on to better things.

42. Joann says:

I’m sorry, but no Kurt and Rachel, no me. Period.

Does anybody think Mr. Shue can carry the show?

43. Anthony Newhall says:

I think they are going to follow them into College.

44. Oração L. says:

Hopefully they’ll do more with Sam while they’ve still got him along with the other who won’t be graduating just yet. I love Rachel’s singing, but Glee club should be more about them as a whole. I hope we see more of them even after they leave. Follow-up series, anyone?

45. Lindsey says:

I don’t know why everyone is so against the cast changing as they graduate… Just two years ago almost all of these kids were total unknowns and we grew to love(or at least moderately care about) them… Why wouldn’t it be the same for new kids? Obviously Robert Ulrich is good at his job as casting director, and I have faith in him to bring in more lovable young actors! Plus, the characters of Blaine and Sam are both relatively new, and already they are some of the favorites from the show… I’m sure we will love whoever they introduce this season! Love that it feels like a real high school glee club, rather than an odd reality where kids stay until they’re 25!

• Patty says:

I agree. If they cast great people, it can work. They can borrow people we already know from Idol and So You Think You Can Dance, as well as newcomer actors who can sing. I’ll miss Lea, Cory and Dianna, but if they find other talented, gorgeous kids, i’m there.

I just wish they could finish season 3 on a high with this cast and take them abroad to compete internationally! How cool would it be if we had the kids in London or Paris? That’d be epic. I’d also love a summer episode with summer songs before the school year stars. Seeing them on the beach, playing in the water and stuff would be great. Or this could happen if Nationals were in Los Angeles this year. New York again would be redundant. LA next please, it is the land of the stars even more than NY.

So many things I want to see this cast do before graduation! They’ve never even done a school trip. I want to see them camping and in opther settings.

46. alyssa says:

While I think it makes sense for the characters to graduate, once Rachel and Finn leave the show is going to suck even more than it already does.

47. dan says:

This is a brilliant idea. It’s daring, and will keep the show fresh. Besides, we might get a spin-off with Rachel and Kurt trying to make it in New York.

48. Rachel says:

I really hope they give Naya Rivera more attention next season. She’s an amazing actress and so underrated.

49. Anon says:

I may give Glee a chance with a new cast, but the original cast left a huge impact. I absolutely loved all of the story lines and character, mostly kurt and blaine. While changing the cast may make it fresh, it won’t be the same without Lea Michele, Chris Colfer, Cory Monteith or any of them. But most likely, without Rachel and Kurt, I will not watch a new cast of Glee.

50. Yikes says:

To be perfectly honest, the only I started watching this show and continued watching this show despite its numerous flaws, was to watch Lea Michele be awesome, Lea Michele sing, and Rachel Berry be completely hilarious when not bogged down by lame boy drama that is both beneath her as a character and Lea Michele as an actress and performer. I sincerely wish all of the cast the best of luck in their future endeavors and I bid the show an early adieu come May 2012.