Scoop: Glee Recruits Buffy Vet Marti Noxon Plus Five New Writers

After two seasons of writing every single episode of the high-school dramedy by themselves, Glee co-creators/executive producers Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan are getting help for Season 3.

Joining Murphy, Falchuk and Brennan in the writers room will be Allison Adler (Chuck, No Ordinary Family) as co-executive producer. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who did the rewrite of the Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark musical, was recently tapped as co-producer, with Buffy and Angel veteran Marti Noxon and frequent Christopher Guest collaborator Michael Hitchcock serving as consulting producers. Rounding out the group are staff writers Matt Hodgson and Ross Maxwell.

For more details on this story, visit TVLine’s sister site Deadline.com.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Glee, News

1. Tavis says:

Good additions. Too bad I won’t be watching now that Jessalyn Gilsig is no longer a series regular.

• Marcus says:

No one cares.

• Tavis says:

I care, so you’re wrong again. :-)

• Jessalyn Gilsig says:

Thank you sweetheart! But please continue watching the show cause you never know when will i pop up! :-)

• Captain says:

I care too. I was watching a season one episode today and it reminded me how amazing Terri was. Jessalyn has amazing comedic timing and was a hilarious character that the writers just gave up on after the baby-storyline. Her appearances since have all been so half-baked and poorly written.

• Fiona says:

Dude she was irrelevant and literally no one cared for her annoying ass, move on.

• Captain says:

Clearly people cared if there are comments like this. I love people who think “I don’t care and I don’t know many people who care so…NO ONE must care!” Not everyone is you. She was a great character and one of the funniest actresses the show had. Admittedly she had little purpose on the show once her storyline was over but the writers could have given her a true storyline last season. Having two villains could have taken the pressure off of Sue so she could be…funny instead of the cartoony nightmare she became.

• As She Waits says:

When they brought back Terry for that episode when Mr. Schue wa sick and they had sex I thought that they were gonna make her pregnant and start another storyline with her. Besides, isn’t she in Sue’s League of Evil or whatever as the Honey Badger or di that disband? I can’t remember what happened with that…

• Tavis says:

Exactly! The haters need to STFU and get a life.

• Marg says:

This is very welcome and much needed news. I just hope that they can really develop the cast that they currently have and create realistic but fun storylines with continuity and keep Ryan Murphy on a leash and not get so locked in a single story/charater so much (ie. Kurt) that the rest of the show takes it in the shorts – ie. Sue’s character is a joke now….

• Lu says:

This is my hope too.
        They so need this!
        I stopped watching the last episodes b/c it pained me.
        But, I love the idea of the show and hope that with a team of veteran writers that it will be just as you said- consistent, fun not cartoonish, and with well-rounded plot & characters.

• Danny says:

Seriously, Tavis, you crazy ass bitch, if you don’t care about the show anymore shut your face. I swear to God, if you post one more comment I’m going to find you and beat your face in you stupid bitch.

• Mia says:

You watched season 2 even though she was only in a couple episodes, jut because of her? Seems unlikely.

2. Michael says:

Congratulations, Ali Adler!!!! Love her work on Chuck. (I’m glad she found a home on such a successful show but it’s too bad she won’t be joining the little show that could for its swan song.)

3. Paige says:

… What’s with both Joss & Marti getting involved with Glee at some point. They’re better than that. :P Oh well. Maybe with Marti, the show will actually start getting good. I highly doubt it, though. Still won’t be watching.

4. sarah says:

Ruh roh. Marti can drive a show into the ground like no one else.

• Tavis says:

Ryan, Ian and Brad have already done that. ;-)

• JeniLee says:

Sarah I don’t know which show(s) you are referring to but Marti wrote some of the best episodes Buffy ever had.

• Tavis says:

Actually, she drove Buffy into the ground in Season 6 when she kick-started the sickening Buffy/Spike “affair”.

• Brandi says:

I happened to love the Spike and Buffy storyline. Marti joining the team bodes well for some Glee improvements IMO.

• Tavis says:

Eww, he tried to rape her! And she was emotionally abusing him and using him for sex. Disgusting. BTW, Buffy’s soulmate is Angel in case you didn’t get the memo, hun.

• Captain says:

I have to agree. What was great about their relationship? It was the most unhealthy, abusive relationship I’ve seen on TV. He almost raped her!

• Nat says:

Your comments make no sense. Of course the relationship was dysfunctional and painful to watch. That was the point! Buffy was recovering from a difficult time and making bad decisions. It was a note-perfect story about unhealthy relationships. I’m sorry if you’d watch couples get along happily without any troubles, but that’s frankly unrealistic and boring.

• rip van winkle says:

the buffy/spike affair was great. played off of her depression. of course it was sickening, it was supposed to be. if you’re looking for happyfuntime shows buffy was never right.

and angel was not her soul mate.

• nickyfinger says:

your crazy buffy and spike had some real chemistry and marti played to that in her writing. also.. james marsters was HOT HOT HOT as spike and when buffy had him in his lair naked and she was invisible…. i almost died from heat stroke

• sarah says:

She drove Buffy into the ground, absolutely ruining it when given control.

• Eurydice says:

I think there’s a reason Buffy fans called her “Marti Noxious,” but maybe she’s finished working out her relationship issues…or maybe not. Be prepared for Pain!!

• raelee514 says:

While I love Buffy the show up until season 7, and I love Buffy the character, the things about Buffy that I dislike — pretty sure they were all Marti Noxon. Ugh.

• Kelly says:

But think of all the fun you and your friends can have! It’s Marti Noxon bingo! Who will become a substance abuser? Who will get into an unhealthy, abusive relationship with someone else? Who will become an attempted rapist? Who will his victim be? What songs about rape and violence will the women sing? (I have money on Eminem & Rihanna’s duet, and Tori Amos’s Me & A Gun!)

5. alisa says:

THERE MAY BE HOPE FOR THIS SHOW YET. maybe.

6. Jenna V says:

thank god, thank god, thank god!!! i was losing hope on glee b/c the writing was just so GD awful. but with ali and marti helping as well as many other writers to tell RIB that they suck at writing, glee may be saved after all! YAY!!!

7. Alyssa says:

I hope that Marti can pull Glee up a bit, because I am about to stop watching because of how bad it’s gotten. I’ll give it another chance, especially since she’s now a part of it, but this is pretty much a last chance.

• cjinsd says:

I’m with you, Alyssa. That season 2 finale was awful. I’ll give next season a chance because of Marti. I love her work.

8. Allie says:

I don’t think the show can be redeemed for me (After all, Finn/Rachel is still the core ship and I hate them), but good look to the new writers. I hope the show turns a little more decent.

9. Mira says:

Marti Noxon? She ruins anything she attaches herself to ::cough:: season 4 of Buffy ::cough:: Grey’s Anatomy ::cough:: ::cough::

10. John says:

Oh my God, could this mean the show may actually become good?!

11. CateM says:

Great! Now three, pre-dominantly gay white dudes won’t be the only writing for a diverse and dangerously similar characters. And after that, all we got was 2 new female writers.

• Tavis says:

Wow, homophobic much?!?

• Angie says:

So you’re both homophobic and an idiot. Ryan Murphy was the only gay writer on the show, which means 2/3 of the writers aren’t omg ~gay~. Brad Falchuk did most of Kurt’s storylines and he is a straight man with kids. No one is forcing you to watch.

• Ruby says:

I am a huge supporter of gay rights and didn’t consider this homophobic. It’s just truth. How are gay men supposed to write for women? I’ll tell you how: the women get storylines where they fight over men, lie about pregnancies, and are redeemed by a haircut, that’s how. There need to be female writers. It’s not a gay thing, it’s a MALE thing.

• Kim says:

As a woman I am offend by this. So I guess gay women can’t write for men?
        Can straight men write for women just not gay men? Can black people only write for black people?

If you are a good writer you should be able to write for anyone.

• Captain says:

I don’t think that comment was a homophobic as you took it. As a gay male I’m not offended, I agree. She said ALL men can’t write for women (which is a bit of a generalization) but to be fair, a lot of men can’t because most guys don’t understand women. They treat them like eye candy or petty girls who only care about fashion and boys. I dare you to find any truly positive female characters on Glee. I love a lot of the female characters but they’re hardly empowering, stong women. Most of them are run by their desire for male attention.

12. Traci says:

If Glee hired someone who wrote for Buffy maybe we will finally get strong female characters. We saw some in S1, but they disappeared in S2. Just don’t waste the new writers on a bunch of new characters.

13. Angie says:

Marti Noxon? NOOOOOOO! She’s horrible to female characters and only cares about the guys she wants to bone.

• Lisa says:

Wow, this comment is disgusting.

• Tavis says:

Disgustingly true. Example: SPIKE.

• Lisa says:

Psht, did you actually bother to watch the show? Because I did and there were 7 other major characters that got plenty of screen time over Spike.

Either way, that doesn’t make Angie’s comment any less sexist.

• Angie says:

I’m not the sexist one, that would be Marti Noxon. She was awful to the female characters on Buffy. Buffy herself had a disgusting storyline where she was RAPED by Spike, but according to Marti it was okay because she obviously “wanted it.” It was a gross, absuive relationship but in her eyes Buffy was the one in the wrong and Spike was the poor woobie. Glee already has a hard time writing for female characters and having their male characters like Will and Artie act incredibly misogynistic. Marti Noxon joining the writing staff won’t make it any better.

• rip van winkle says:

angie: clearly you don’t understand anything about buffy the vampire slayer if you think they played spike’s rape as okay.

14. Ruby says:

I’m glad they hired new writers, but I’m VERY skeptical about Marti Noxon, considering she’s currently ruining my favorite movie of all time, Fright Night.

15. Lucy says:

Maybe this show will be great again with these new additions!

Glee went downhill after the first 13 episodes of season 1.

16. Spencer says:

Ok, i hope some pple agree with me when i say that this whole comment thread is a rude, disasterous mess. The comment section is here so we comment on what we think of the new writers, not what we think about equality or Jessalyn Gilsig. So please, on behalf of myself and many others, knock all that rude cr*p off!
    Thx!

17. Liza says:

Ugh, Marti Noxon.

They were in trouble before, now they’re just plain screwed.

18. Marianne says:

Congrats to Ali Adler! Glee is very lucky to have her because she is a fantastic writer. It’s too bad she won’t be on board with Chuck for its final season, but I’m really happy for her!

19. Lily says:

A few things that bother me about this Buffy/Spike argument. A) A lot of people loved that relationship, okay? B) Angel/Cordelia were an awesome pairing. More than that though, is ever fan cries “rape”. Yes, Spike did try to force himself on her, even though when he realized what he was doing he felt horrible. Now, there is absolutely no excuse for that ever, so please don’t take what I am saying out of context. However, he did not have a soul at the time. Which, again, is absolutely not an excuse. But once he received a soul, he redeemed himself, and Buffy grew to love him. Even before he had a soul though, she meant the world to him. Though he didn’t deserve her at the time. Let’s remember what Angel did when he didn’t have a soul. Oh yeah, he killed Jenny. He played sick and twisted mind games with Buffy and her friends. He tortured Giles. Tried to kill Buffy. Killed many innocent people. And, oh yeah, he tried to destroy the world. But Angel/Buffy fans forgive him for that because he didn’t have a soul. So why can’t they forgive Spike for what he did when he didn’t have a soul? The hypocrisy seriously bothers me.

• cjinsd says:

Great post, Lily. I totally agree.

• Tavis says:

You’re a sick fan and proponent of rape. GET HELP.

• Lisa says:

Thank you Lily!! EXCELLENT explanation. And please don’t worry about the trolls (cough cough… Tavis) on here. What you said was dead on.

• Viola says:

Facts first: wasn’t the point that Buffy was never really in love with Spike? Yeah, she was obviously getting there by the end, but Spike said himself that he knew Buffy didn’t ever feel as much for him as he felt for her. At the end, it was more that she was once again alone, but instead of ugly, raw sex like in season 6, she needed sympathy and caring, and he was the only one who really gave that to her.

• Juli says:

I totally agree!

20. Petra says:

Good, maybe some of the new writers can come up with good storylines for Puck :) I would love me some Puckleberry!

21. Géraldine says:

I really like Jessalyn Gilsig too, whatever characters she performs. She is always brilliant! :) I just regret that she was so badly used in Glee for 2 seasons, especiallay the last one but who knows, maybe her leaving isn’t a permanent thing and we could be surprised to see Terri coming back just for 1 or 2 episodes… I hope that ’cause I miss Jessalyn/Terri in this 3rd season! :-(

• Tavis says:

I would rather she stay far away from Glee and get herself a good gig where she’ll be treated with respect. The Glee peeps treated her like dirt after the fake pregnancy story.

22. Kelly says:

If they wanted to kill the show, why didn’t they hire Tim Minear? :|

23. S says:

I’m sad Ali Adler won’t be returning to Chuck for its last seasons, but maybe she (and the other new writers) will be able to fix a little bit of the hot mess that is Glee.

24. Nat says:

Can I just point out that television writing is a *collaborative* process, so for anyone who’s saying that “x drove this show into the ground”, bear in mind that every script they penned would have been checked, changed and consulted on by several other people. I personally am excited to see some of these additions because they would have worked on writing TEAMS that may influence Glee in a positive way.

25. KLM says:

For being such a diverse show, they sure didn’t do well at diversifying the behind the scenes staff. Shame. I was hoping better on that front. Hopefully two women on staff will bode well for the girls. Even with short shrift to people of color.

26. Sophie says:

Excellent moves. Too many characters for too few writers last year caused some characters to get written into corners (Sue…they had to resort to killing off her sister to get her out of the deepest corner) or neglected (Artie, Tina). The best character development last year was Brittany and Santana. You saw both characters grow and become more fully developed. On a side note, I hope Heather Morris gets an Emmy nomination. Playing the airhead in the very organic, grounded way that she does is no easy acting task.

27. Iggi says:

Glee NEEDS writers. The ones they have SUCK.

28. Lily says:

How on earth am I a “sick proponent of rape” I in no way ever condone rape. It is absolutely wrong. Maybe if you actually took a moment to read my post and form a logical response you would have understood what I was saying. And if I’m a sick proponent of rape, than as an Angel fan does that make you a sick proponent of murder, mind games, torture, and world destruction? I mean, if you’re going by that logic. And for the record, I do like Angel. I just liked him on his own show and with Cordelia better.

• daniel says:

Don’t listen to Tavis, she’s insane. Every comment on here she is just trying to argue with people. She is a troll. She keeps making such a big deal about how she will never watch Glee again but she’s obviously here in the forum commenting on every single person’s post. Spike and Buffy made sense for the storyline at the time. Buffy chose to have violent/self destructive relationship with Spike. It was not rape and when he did try to rape her, they never were the same after that again, that’s why he went off and got a soul. It’s pretty straight forward. Marti Noxon added elements of realism to the show and I hope she can help Glee which has just turned into a ridiculous cartoon of a show as of late. Maybe they can give Kurt/Blaine a love triangle or something interesting because at this point I’m sick of Sue and Will and all the trite storylines including Rachel and Finn, I mean seriously how many times are they going to be on again and off again?

• Lisa says:

I said it above — but just in case you didn’t see it…

Thank you Lily!! EXCELLENT explanation. And please don’t worry about the trolls on here. What you said was dead on.

And BTW Daniel — I think Tavis is a gay guy — and a misogynistic one at that because he always picks on women and at one point said that hetero love lines were disgusting — they really should kick him out.

29. Mike says:

Thank freakin’ God! It’s been long enough that they’ve been churning out trashy episode after trashy episode, maybe now it can be the Glee that everyone used to love!

30. SandraDee says:

OMG SDKGJSEJSIDFGKL@!!!! we’ve got a female writer… thanks a million RIB!!!

31. juliaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! :D says:

i hope they write in parts for ppl under 18… (if u do EMAIL ME ASAP!!)

32. beth says:

i hate the new writing. i think it’s fake, and over done. they are overly exaggerating the particular characters in the show, and are making it more corny than it already was. i loved the first two seasons. this one is falling short in so many ways. i’ll continue to watch in the hopes that it will get better magically. but i fear that this might be the last season of glee. the shows are just getting too corny, over done, and a general turn off in content.

33. Summer says:

That’s so adorable. You’re like a stalker-in-the-making. Someone should warn Jessalyn Gilsig, stat.

34. dan says:

Her story was kind of done. I will say this, though, that woman is awesome. I would love it if they gave her a show of her own, or left her on Glee and built up her story. I actually wanted her to be with Will more than Emma.

And she was at her best when she played school nurse.

35. Taylor Geary says:

I know. I love Jessalyn Gilsig. She’s such a chameleon. But I still will be watching because I now love Heather Morris.

36. Fiona says:

Fine peace out, no one cared for Terri, especially the writers,lol.

The show was at its best in S1, not because of Terri because her storyline was heavily despised especially the character Terri which till this day is hated by millions across the general audience.

Don’t defend Jessalyn, she was great at playing Terri but I despised the character and she has been useless since her and Will got the divorce.

So its about time Glee did this, personally it should have happened at the end of S1, but better late than never.

37. Mike says:

Ok, you made your point, now GTFO. Oh the melodrama, they’re going to lose YOUR viewership? ::clutching pearls:: So Glee will now only have millions of viewers each week minus one self-important delusional fan. Just because you keep posting the same comments doesn’t mean there’s a number of people who agree with you. I only counted one. I would much rather have Sue’s sister return from the grave next season and finally bury what’s really dead– Terry’s storyline. It’s over, and no one cares.

38. Tavis says:

Nope, just a fan of Terri. Not sure why you’re such a pathetic hater, though. Get a life!

39. Tavis says:

They didn’t try to write more story for her, so I disagree that her story was done. But I agree about everything else!