Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Good Wife, Fringe, Covert Affairs, Vampire Diaries and More!

Will Alicia Florrick continue to be a “good” wife? Is Stefan Salvatore prepared to go very bad? Who might Fringe‘s Olivia meet for the very first time? Read on for those answers, plus a flurry of other teases and sound bites from some of TV’s hottest shows and stars.

The Good Wife | One of the million-dollar questions heading into Season 3 of the acclaimed CBS drama is this: Is there any way, for whatever reason, that Alicia will not up and divorce Peter, whom she instantly (and rather efficiently!) sent packing upon learning he once bedded Kalinda? Julianna Margulies suspects that a legal fork will not soon be put in the Florrick marriage, if only because helping Peter get elected governor could be a very good thing for her good wife. “The truth is you kind of want to get him out of the State’s Attorney office, because as long as he’s in there, [Alicia] is going to have to deal with him all the time,” Margulies theorized. In other words, when it comes to Alicia putting on her best game face, yet again, “She will have to weigh the good that will come of it. There will be two sides to the coin.”

Covert Affairs | If you’re like me, you enjoy the dynamic between CIA coworkers Annie and Auggie, sure. But there’s no denying that Agent Walker also “sparks” with Mossad rival Eyal Lavin as well. In fact very much so, as we saw in this season’s second episode. Can fans of Oded Fehr’s spook hope for an encore? The following answer is For Your Eyes Only: “We have at least one more [appearance] planned for him this season,” series cocreator Matt Corman tells TVLine. Why is it that Fehr connects with viewers so? “He brings a real energy and asserting authenticity to the role, because he himself was in the Israeli Navy,” offers Corman. “He has some understanding — at least at a very baseline level — about what it means to be in dangerous situations.”

Fringe | While speaking with me for her Eye on Emmy TVLine feature, Anna Torv shared her excitement over the prospect of working for the very first time with Seth Gabel this coming season. What, you say? Torv already has shared scenes with Gabel? Right. But she’s talking about Olivia crossing paths with our universe’s Lincoln Lee. “I thought he was really fun on this side!” the Aussie actress raves of Gabel’s March appearance. “But Olivia didn’t get to meet him, because she was in William Bell mode [at the time].” Now that the two worlds are connected by the bridge Peter created — and Gabel has been promoted to series regular — does Torv think he will be playing our Lincoln, his alt self, or a bit of each? “I’m thinking both,” she ventures. “And that excites me. He’s just a treat to work with.”

The Vampire Diaries | As viewers saw in the Season 2 finale, Stefan is finally taking a walk on the wild side –- a journey Paul Wesley told me he is quite ready to (sorry) sink his teeth into, when I spoke to him and Ian Somerhalder at The CW upfront event. “For two years now I’ve been really good, so I’m really excited to have a bit of a good time,” he said, “like Mr. Ian Somerhalder does every day.” Speaking of the proverbial devil, does Damon’s portrayer believe his TV sib can be great at bad? “He can definitely bring it,” Somerhalder attested. He added with a wink, “That’s because I teach him.” The question is, how much of Stefan’s darkness will be directed at Elena, who has just locked lips with her beau’s bro? Says Nina Dobrev, “I knew that once that happened, all hell would break loose…. There will definitely be consequences!”

Modern Family | As Modern Family grandparents go, thus far we have met (of course) Claire’s father, Jay, and her mother (guest star Shelly Long), and Phil’s father (played by Fred Willard). So who should eventually tackle the role of Grandma Dunphy? Quite possibly… no one. “[The Modern Family producers] are all Frasier guys,” Ty Burrell notes, “so I have a feeling we’ll never meet Phil’s mom” — à la Niles Crane’s oft-mentioned, never-seen ex. Burrell told me he formed this theory the first time Willard cameo’d as Frank via video chat; in a subsequent in-person visit, Phil’s dad came alone. “When we were Skyping, he was yelling off to [his wife] in the bathroom – when there didn’t have to be any reference to her,” Burrell says. “So I thought, ‘Oh maybe this is one of those Maris things, where she’s supposed to show up and never does.” On the off-chance the ABC hitcom does one day cast Sarah Dunphy, hit comments with your casting ideas.

Screened & Heard | In between marathon screening sessions of fall pilots, I’ve found time to check out some returning summer series. The Closer‘s seventh (and final) season premiere (airing July 11) is extremely strong, featuring one of the TNT drama’s best cold openings ever, and one of its most compelling (and angry) confessions. Plus, as Corey Reynolds teased for TVLine, the very final scene comes out of nowhere and promises to shake things up for the show’s final run…. Here I am again, taunting those without DirecTV yet. I cued up the Damages Season 4 opener this week, and was immediately sucked back into Patty and Ellen’s world. While the “3 Months Later” scene that we’ll be cutting away to (and speculating about) now and again hasn’t yet grabbed a hold of me the way, say, a dead Tom Shays did, I can say that the supporting cast for the coming run is as good as always, led by John Goodman as the commanding CEO of a Blackwater-like military contractor. Oh, and if any of you ever had illusions about interviewing for the job of nanny to Patty’s granddaughter, I urge you: Think again.

1. Alex says:

Does TV Line have the term “hitcom” trademarked?

2. Amy says:

How about Ann Meara? Or if she is too old, then Lainie Kazan would be good too.

3. guest says:

Very excited about Fringe season 4 and what the relationship between this side Olivia and this side Lincoln will be.
    I really enjoyed all the scenes between Anna Torv and Seth Gabel in season 3, great chemistry.

Anna Torv is always so full of praise of all the other cast members, co-stars or guest stars, and the crew and the love for the fans, here
    and just last week in Europe. Wonderful.

• Charlene says:

Seth Gabel is great. Looking forward to seeing more of him. In Fringe, and just in general.

• Messwiththecloser says:

Except for Joshua jackson. she never mentions him at all.

• stephag says:

Do you think they are replacing Joshua Jackson with Seth Gabel because Anna’s not feeling the chemistry with JJ? That would be sad…

• trinity says:

I think Joshua Jackson is still on the show, but apparently they’re pushing him to the background and he will play a different character. It makes sense, Anna Torv doesn’t seem to like Josh Jackson and that translates into her acting in her scenes with him. That’s why Olivia seems so stiff and uncomfortable around Peter instead of in love.

On the other hand, she likes Seth Gabel a lot and he has been promoted to the main cast, some say Lincoln will replace Peter in the show. Anna Torv said she would like a romance between the main Olivia and Lincoln. I think the Olivia/Lincoln shippers are going to have a great S4. I’m all for it if it’s so difficult for Anna Torv to work with the charming Joshua Jackson.

• stephag says:

Just curious, trinity, where does your info come from? Has this been discussed in these type of comments for the last few seasons, or are you getting it from certain websites? I am new to the show, so I’m trying to catch up.

I agree that JJ is charming, so I’m disappointed that he’ll have a smaller part. But if the chemistry isn’t there, I guess it can’t be helped?

• guest says:

None of the above has been said by any of the producers or actors. So, I’m not sure where you are getting your information from. None of the actors have spoken to the writers yet about season 4 and the producers haven’t revealed yet what Peter’s role will be in season 4, but they have said that Peter Bishop will be back, but we don’t know how. They are keeping that to themselves at the moment.

I guess you didn’t see the interview with Anna recently when she said that Peter and Olivia should end up together. To quote her, “They even met as children”. The writers have also said that they are very invested in the Peter/Olivia relationship/love story as well. That was recent as well.

• trinity says:

stephag, the info comes from a report of the Fringe panel at Paley, where Anna went on and on gushing over Seth Gabel, but she had to be asked twice about Joshua Jackson to reply with a “Yeah”. There is also an interview with her and John at the NY Post, where she disses the Peter character and then she says she wants Olivia to date Lincoln.

guest, Anna Torv has often changed her mind in regards to the relationship between Peter and Olivia.

I don’t think it’s that important. Not everyone likes everybody at the work place. Anna is the star of the show and if she prefers to work with Seth, I don’t see any reason why she shouldn’t work with him instead of Josh. Peter is gone, isn’t he?

• guest says:

Anna has mentioned Josh Jackson in interviews. I guess you missed that.

• Emma says:

Im pretty sure they’re not going to just randomly write out one of the main characters like that, thats not how Fringe works. Plus i think the reason Olivia seems so stiff with Peter is because Olivia doesn’t really do ‘love and happiness’ type of stuff. Its not who she is. I think in the future she will be more comfortable with Peter once she knows him better.

4. Cantare says:

Sarah Dunphy – the omnipresent Betty White, of course.

5. Cameron says:

Grandma Dunphy = Katey Segal! BOOMMM! I’d love to see her and Jay on-screen haha

• Amy says:

Personally, I’d love to see Katey Segal show up as Jay’s old college girlfriend. They were so delightful together on “8 Simple Rules” that I’ve always been curious to see what else they could do outside of the Bundy mold.

• Cari says:

If by 8 Simple Rules you mean Married with Children…? But, yes, I totally agree. I’m not a big MWC fan, but I loved the two of them together, and I’d like to see Katey Segal make an appearance in Modern Family.

• LeSo says:

Actually, Ed O’Neill guest starred on 8 Simple Rules as a former boyfriend of Katey Segal’s after John Ritter’s death. I’m sure that was what Amy was referring to.

• Lolie says:

Yes! She would be a perfect foil for Fred Willard and explain a lot of why Phil is the way he is. But is she old enough?

6. Mafalda says:

is betty white to old to play phil’s mom?

7. Jake says:

As phil’s mom rhea pearlman hahahah

8. Lynnn says:

Oded will reprise his role as Eyal again this season!!!!!!–greatest news of the day!! Annie X Eyal…FTW!!

9. Kay says:

Susan Lucci for Phil’s mother.

10. Anatasia B. says:

Re Covert Affairs:

Annie also has sparks with Joan, just sayin’…

11. Eeeww says:

Ewww who cares about the Good Wife? Really? A “critical acclaimed” show is just all about divorce, scandal and love triangles? Ugh!

12. Cathy B says:

“Why is it that Fehr connects with viewers so?”

You’re kidding,right? He’s ridiculously hot.I’d watch him read the phone book.

13. Elizabeth says:

I LOVE when Oded Fehr is on Covert Affairs. Makes the episode instantly better :)

14. Amy says:

I’ll be Annie/Auggie to the end, but even I think Eyal is hot stuff! And at least the sparks he and Annie strike are genuine, unlike all the bland Ben junk.

15. Chatty says:

“Why is it that Fehr connects with viewers so?” Hum…because he’s a great actor, not to mention SEXY as heck! Have you heard him speak? That voice is a weapon of mass seduction! What a dumb question.

16. Alex says:

Sometimes I wonder about this writer. Literally all of this so called inside scoop has been covered by Ausiello earlier. Feel like this should be call Matt’s weekly round-up instead.

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

I will look into that post haste. What did you say his name was, “Ausiello”…?

17. Bree says:

So looking forward to VD it’s gonna be so exciting, dark and crazy! Bring it on baby!!

18. alexa says:

I think Jai is very sexy as well and would like to see some spark between he and Annie. What do you all think?

19. MGL says:

Loved The Good Wife this past season. Cannot wait for next season. Hope she still has some time to sneak in Will. They are good together. I am enjoying Covert Affairs this summer. Was glad they did not kill off Ben. He just disappeared as usual. But, Annie and the Mossad rival are good together. Look forward to seeing him again!

20. Fabe says:

TVD baby!

21. Cindy says:

For Sarah Dunfy I say Katherine Helmond.

22. waggy3015 says:

First off, I like ‘The Good Wife’. That being said, they almost need to change the title because Alicia hasn’t exactly been the good wife for a while now; I believe ever since she kissed Will and would have probably gone home with him right then that night if he was still in the office.

23. Cloudy Knight says:

Norm’s wife Vera was never seen on Cheers, either, except for one time we saw her feet and lower legs on the stairs that led down to the door of the bar. I always assumed that was where the Frasier guys got the idea.

24. zoot says:

Louise Lasser for Mrs Dunphy!!! She is comedienne and already has history with Fred Willard..I think this would be great.

25. robinepowell says:

Season 4 of Fringe is one of the few things, I’m looking forward to this season!! :)

• Touskit says:

Still can’t believe we can say “Season 4 of Fringe”. Just…wow. Can’t wait to see what happens. And keep it coming: “Scoop on Fringe” is music to my ears!

26. Jennifer says:

From watchin the last episode of TVD im really exited of what can happen next with stefan and exited of what happens with elena and damon XD

27. Sy says:

Hey, Fringe fans, check out this video, made to support Fringe nominated for 3 CCTA (Critics’ Choice Television Awards): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeWwaA2r2js&feature=player_embedded

28. test says:

Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case