Exclusive

Scoop: Aaron Sorkin's HBO Pilot Adds Two Broadway Thesps and a Social Network Hunk

Broadway actors John Gallagher Jr. and Thomas Sadoski have joined Aaron Sorkin’s HBO drama pilot More As This Story Develops. Sorkin and fellow executive producer Scott Rudin have also tapped Josh Pence — whose body co-starred in the Sorkin-scriped and Rudin-produced Social Network — to join the cast.

More As This Story Develops centers on cable news anchor Will McCallister (Jeff Daniels) and his show’s staff led by executive producer Mackenzie (Emily Mortimer). Gallagher Jr. will play Jim, who was offered another job when Mackenzie’s show was cancelled but turned it down to come work with her on Will’s show — where he develops a crush on associate produer Maggie (Alison Pill).

Pence will play Rob, a senior producer who has been in a relationship with Maggie for five months and starts to become jealous of her budding romance with Jim. Finally, Sadoski will play Will’s former executive producer who left him to go work for Will’s protege’s new show.

Gallagher, who won a Tony for Spring Awakening, recently appeared in Green Day’s musical American Idiot and currently stars in the play Jerusalem. Pence will next be seen in Battleship and The Dark Knight Rises. Sadoski was nominated for a Tony for Reasons To Be Pretty.

1. alex says:

Sounds fantastic! I love John Gallagher Jr. I watch everything Emily Mortimer is in. And I really like Alison Pill (in the two things I’ve seen her)

2. cassidy says:

So its “Sports Night” but instead of ESPN its CNN?

• Sonia says:

Cassidy, it’s also Sunset Strip, West Wing etc. Oy vezmir, Aaron, haven’t you got any new schtick? I can develop the drinking game now. One shot if anyone says “I’m not just anybody”, two shots if they say “I’m in the tall grass, I’m in the weeds”.

• Beth says:

Not CNN — MSNBC or starting next week, Current. The Jeff Daniels character is based on Keith Olbermann. Just like the characters from Sports Night were based on Keith.

• teniba says:

This can’t be true, it’s fox news, all the cast of this show is white and the only cable news network with very few blacks and latinos is Fox News…

3. danrydell says:

So Mortimer is Dana Whittaker, Pill is Natalie, Gallagher Jr. is… Dan Rydell, and Daniels is Casey McCall. Pence is Jeremy.

4. Tim S says:

If it’s at all similar to Sports Night or West Wing (or exactly the same as), count me in. Truly great shows. And while S60 wasn’t what it should have been, the pilot was top notch.

TV needs a little Sorkin.

5. teniba says:

so this a show about a cable news network with no black, no latinos? i guess it’s a show inspired by Fox News.

6. Lee says:

I’m all for it…but where are the Sorkin Players? Get me Josh Malina and Brad Whitford STAT!

7. Tracie says:

EEP! JOHN GALLAGHER JR. EEP!!
    That is all.