Spoiler Alert: True Blood Turns Straight Character Gay… But Which One?

True Blood has turned people into vampires, vampires into piles of gore, assorted wildlife into people, and Michelle Forbes into the ultimate party ghoul. But perhaps no transformation in the show’s colorful history will come as quite as great a shock as the one that we find out about during the HBO hit’s ferociously anticipated fourth season, premiering June 26: A major character, heretofore heterosexual, will be involved in a same-sex romance.

For True Blood Scoop 24/7 Follow Me On Twitter Via @MichaelAusiello

I’m not going to reveal any more clues about the character — who may or may not be featured in the above image — so as not to risk getting fanged by series creator Alan Ball. However, I will say that, having witnessed the big reveal, it doesn’t feel gimmicky. In fact, after the initial shock wears off, I imagine you will do what I did and go, “Yeah. Makes total sense.”

By the way, this is sort of related to the even bigger twist I teased in Ask Ausiello last week.

True Blood has never shied away from exploring its characters’ fluid sexuality. Last season alone found Sam fantasizing about a roll in the hay with Bill, and a hidden agenda motive prompted Eric to seduce Talbot (before whacking him). And, of course, there’s resident bisexual Pam and openly gay Lafayette, the latter of whom is now settled down with Jesus.

Watch The First Eight Minutes of True Blood‘s Season 4 Premiere Now!

So, who do you think discovers his/her True identity? Hit the comments with your theories. In other words, if you happen to know, keep it to yourself. Don’t ruin our fun little game!

Tags: ,

Comments (231)

• Hmmm, I’m gonna guess either Eric or Sam brother

Comment by RachelH – June 15, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a very strong feeling that it will be Jeesica and that Jessica and Pam are going to be a couple.

Comment by Harry – June 15, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a very strong feeling that it will be Jessica and that she and Pam are going to be a couple.

Comment by Harry – June 15, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s probably Tara. Then again, she did grieve for Eggs for a whole season and got tied up with a male vamp the whole last season.

If not Tara, it could be Andy.

Comment by Elle – June 15, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for Tara to go gay.

Comment by Caroline – June 15, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess: Andy Bellefleur develops a V habit (explaining his new buffness) and has a V-fueled gay fling.

Comment by brian – June 15, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Andy Bellefleur was my first thought. He’s been a character on the show since the beginning and we don’t know much about his past relationships. I think it would make more sense if he was gay than Jason.

Sure some people act a certain way to overcompensate for their secret, but they don’t do it by being as sex-crazed as Jason has been. And he was in love with Crystal and had sex while on V, like with that girl that kidnapped the gay vampire in season 1, where if he was gay and horny he’d be looking for guys in that state.

Comment by Bart – June 16, 2011 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope its Sookie and the Vampire Queen.

Comment by BrianR – June 15, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew it! that blind item floating around about a HBO star coming out….

Comment by deedeedragons – June 15, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andy Belleflour,.. because in the last episode he wanted to drink V

Comment by Fabricio – June 15, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Blood will have to do better than that. Homossexuals are not “shocking” anymore, this is 2011! Why don’t they go the Game of Thrones route and kill a major caracter? Sookie would be a good choice ;)

Comment by Anita – June 15, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for re-phrasing, Ausiello. Truly is appreciated that you cared enough to change it. ♥

Comment by Angie – June 15, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet with almost certainty that it is HOYT.

Comment by Doddle – June 15, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone’s saying Tara or Jason, but the person that came to my mind first:

Andy Bellefleur. (Especially if he is going to be doing V)

Comment by Tracy – June 15, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping for Jason (Come on, aren’t we all?) but it’ll probably be Tara. I have no real problem with her character in general, but the writing for her seems to fall flat… The writers took an interesting character with potential and choose bad storyline after bad storyline for her. Without a doubt, Tara was at her finest in season 1.

Comment by Paul – June 15, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please! not Tara… I liked her in the first season, then in season 2 not that much but I hated her in season 3… please kill her already…

Comment by Luis – June 15, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Hadley? Have they established anything real about her? At this point, we know she was married and has a child. We know that the Queen likes to feed off her, but we found out that it was mostly because she is part fae. In the books (I know, I know, everyone freaks out when the books are mentioned), Hadley and the Queen are together. Plus, Ausiello did mention Sophie Anne in last week’s spoiler chat.

Comment by Emily – June 15, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s pretty much been established she was with the queen, in more than just a midnight snack capacity. Eric was able to use her as leverage against the queen, which shows she obviously cared for her.

Comment by Corinne – June 15, 2011 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am kind of against this happening though. I LOVE my gays, but to think of any of the main characters going that way as just another plot point makes me kind of cringe. I really hope this is authentic like you say, Aussy. Cause if not I’m stopping back by this thread when the eppy airs LOL!

Can we please know which episode this happens in though? Just so I’m not watching too hard to see this coming.

Comment by Danielle H. – June 15, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is pam and nan flanagan….. nan had a woman in her limo when russell went crazy on tv… and i think we’ ll see nan a lot at fangtasia this season…

Comment by truebliforlife – June 15, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, I have just realised who “nan” is. I didn’t realise that was the character’s name, I was thinking you meant Sookie & Jason’s nan coming back from the dead to lez it up with someone. Apologies for putting that mental image in everyone’s head! ;)

Comment by Elliot – June 16, 2011 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. In defense of the person a while back who used the term “lesbian weirdness,” this is a direct quotation from Sookie. Season Three Episode One. So, I think that’s why the person said that, not to sling any mud.

2. I think the straight character is probably Tara. They seem to be conflating the characters of Tara and Amelia, who appears in the books. Amelia has a little fling with Pam. So I think it’s logical for this character to be Tara. Of course, when has True Blood ever been logical? LOL

Comment by merikat – June 15, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally Tara. Though I’d appreciate the writers and producers doing this, it would be far from surprising even to any spoiler-adverse fan. Hopefully, the writing for such a storyline would be as sharp as usual.

Comment by Charlie – June 15, 2011 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perhaps the character will be Eric, and the same-sex “romance” will be with Godric in flashbacks. I haven’t read the books and I know they altered Eric’s maker storyline an awful lot for the show- but didn’t his maker in the books turn him into a vampire for sex?

I just really hope that it’s not Tara. I don’t want True Blood sending out the message that if you are a straight girl and you’ve been hurt and abused by men, then one of your options is to “turn gay”. It doesn’t work that way at all.

Comment by Lindsey – June 15, 2011 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was the Towleroad link that brought me here, and htis just reminds me anew of why I refuse to read Ausiello. A reporter tells the story. A hack drops hints. More useless tripe from a little wannabe queen. Ugh. Cindy Brady gave better dish.

Comment by Kevin – June 15, 2011 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Come on, Kevin. That’s just mean…

Comment by indcit – June 16, 2011 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it will be Bill because Alan Ball (an outspokenly gay man) said he particularly enjoyed writing about this romance, rather than the heterosexual one (between Sookie and Eric) and he is very fond of Stephen Moyer, too, thus I think it would please him to see Stephen in gay scenes. His significant other might as well be Sam, as I don’t see his story going anywhere else. I hope I’m wrong, though… As a straight woman, seeing Stephen Moyer in gay scenes would kind of ruin it for me. I also hope not to see Jason Stackhouse turning gay. For the other ones I don’t really care.

Comment by indcit – June 16, 2011 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He already did those kind of scenes with Sam and why would you have a problem with that, almost every character on the show has already done some homoerotic stuff.

Comment by pooi – June 16, 2011 03:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know he did, but it was Sam’s fantasy, not “actually” happening. I just don’t want to picture Bill’s character as gay, that’s all. I assume it would be the same for a gay person who wouldn’t want a character he/she likes to be straight.

Comment by indcit – June 16, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think bill would make sense, because Sookie’s fairy cousin Claude is being introduced this season who is suppose to be beautiful. Now we know vampires are attracted to the fairy in Sookie and so it would make sense for Bill to be attracted to her male cousin, given that most vampires have no set preference anyway.

Comment by pw – June 16, 2011 03:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fairy Cousin??? Its her Fairy godmother and hadley is her cousin and her cousin is a fairy!! duhh!!

Comment by Bailey – June 16, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant hadleys son is a fairy!!

Comment by Bailey – June 16, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I believe pw is referring to her fae cousin Claude, who is a male stripper. I think he had been added in addition to Claudine, her godmother.

Comment by me – June 16, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tara seems the most likely to me but it would be nice if it was actually Eric. I don’t think it would work if it was present day Eric but it would make sense if there were flashbacks to a relationship between him and Godric in the past. And I believe I did see somewhere that Godric would be back this season…

Comment by Marc – June 16, 2011 04:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s most likely JESSICA. She grew up in a very religious household, where her true sexual desires were most likely repressed. Now that she has abandoned her old life, she has only recently begun exploring her sexuality. It will be no surprise if she finds that she doesn’t like men altogether. Also, in the trailer, she can be heard saying, “I can eat who I want to eat”, indicating that she may in fact prefer women over men. Most importantly, she cannot have enjoyable sex with men due to her unconditional virginity. That may lead her to turn toward women.

Comment by Alan – June 16, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just to be perverse, the fact that everyone is suggesting Tara (who admittedly was who I first thought of too) perhaps means it isn’t her, since everyone (pretty much) has guessed her it wouldn’t be so shocking.

As others have said, Eric doing more gay stuff would be super hot, but it wouldn’t be shocking since he’s already done some gay scenes and like many of the vampire characters seems to be bisexual.

Jason’s character would clearly win the “most shocking True Blood character to turn out gay” award since he’s such a chronic womaniser…

Comment by Elliot – June 16, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s sad to see that every show on tv is going gay. I guess that’s what happens as more and more gay show-runners land gigs. Of course, they always start their shows off generally hetero and then gay it up (i.e. Nip/Tuck, Glee, True Blood, Desperate Housewives)

Comment by eddie – June 16, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they do that to attract the gay/lesbian audiences. I don’t mind when a character is portrayed as gay from the beginning (like Lafayette), or if they show them questioning their own sexuality and society’s reaction to it (like in American Beauty), but I think it’s cheap and also insults the gay people to show that 100% straight people who are comfortable about their sexuality (not in the closet) wake up one morning and have homoerotic relationships just for a change. I mean, it could happen in real life, but it’s not as common as to be in EVERY tv show!! So much for their “born this way” motto…

Comment by indcit – June 16, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Tara, but as a casual relationship only, maybe someone she brings back with her after ditching town for a bit.
    In all honesty, I think the main focus of her character this season is going to be bringing Eggs back to life. With the necromancers in town, and Lafayette connected to the group, I would be incredibly surprised if Tara didn’t spend the majority of the season trying to convince Lafayette and Jesus to bring Eggs. If she is in a lesbian relationship, I think it will be more to fill a void than an actual change in her preferences.

On a completely seperate note, what the hell is going on with Tommy?!?! Did Sam really kill him because he sure as hell has not been mentioned anywhere, nor have I seen the actor being interviewed for the new season. I kinda liked Tommy, as annoying as he was. Plus, I like bad-ass Sam A LOT. At least as much as Eric and Sam, and at times, more so.

Comment by Domi – June 16, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s Alcide. They said in ep. 3, Alcide has a surprise for Sookie.

Comment by ryanoo – June 16, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really really really wish it was Jessica! But I think we all know it’s going to be Tara.

Comment by Patricia – June 16, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neck rape.. means literally.. in vampire terms.. getting bitten against your will… It’s crazy that the phrase has caused controversy.. this is a show about vampires..

Comment by Nikki – June 16, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s gotta be Tara – after all the crap men have put her through, I’d try out the fairer sex too!

Comment by Cindy – June 16, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I’m gonna go with the big twist you’re referring to is that Jason gets turned into a werepanther — and if that is connected to who is homosexual, I’m gonna have to go with Jason.

Comment by AC – June 16, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t mind who the character is, I think it’s great True Blood gets more gay characters. TV needs more gay characters, and I personally think it’s hot.
    Though I was hoping, now when Allan Hyde is reprising his role and all, that we’ll see some Eric/Godric action.

Comment by Lily – June 16, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is just sick. Godric is a little boy!!!

Comment by indcit – June 16, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In body Godric may be 15, but in mind he’s more than 2000 years old. He has killed and fed on human beings. He has turned a person into a vampire, posed as a Nazi soldier, and probably done a lot more things we don’t even know about. A little boy doesn’t do these things, but a 2000 year old vampire does. I’m pretty sure he’s had sex with at least someone, if not Eric, during his 2000 years of living.

Comment by Lily – June 16, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope it’s not Tara. I don’t like her character at all and the actress’s attempt at the accent is just painful.

My fingers would be crossed for Jessica if she and Hoyt weren’t so sweet together.

Comment by M – June 16, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they don’t make Eric gay…Everything is ok with me..lol…but with all your comments i agree about Tara..didn’t think about that…:)

Comment by Karine – June 16, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s Andy Bellefleur.

Comment by TLC – June 16, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I originally thought it was Bill, but after reading this week’s AA I’m thinking Alcide. Just as long as Sookie and Eric get together, who cares?

Comment by Julie – June 16, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s Tommy Merlotte!

Comment by ANewIdea – June 16, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought everyone on the show was gay!

Comment by CJ – June 16, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My bet is Jessica and Pam.

Comment by carrie – June 16, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is Alcide, because of the mention of the two surprises Sookie finds in his new apartment.

Comment by Michael – June 17, 2011 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tara would be my 2nd choice.

Comment by Michael – June 17, 2011 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Paquin is bisexual in real life — anybody think it might be her character? Lesbianism is big in Greek mythology, and the fairies definitely have that vibe to them.

Comment by sookiehater – June 17, 2011 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why wouldn’t it be Sookie? Afterall,Anna Paquin is bi.

Comment by Danielle Notaro – June 17, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing Jason. Only because of what Ausiello said in this: http://www.tvline.com/2011/01/ask-ausiello-spoilers-glee-true-blood-fringe/ “Remember last season’s legendary head-turning sex scene between Lorena and Bill? Well, the word around Bon Temps is that there’s a sequence in the upcoming fourth season that will have folks buzzing just as (if not more) loudly. The character at the center of said scene? One Jason Stackhouse.” So maybe the scene involving Jason is him with another guy? I dunno. That’s just my guess. I guess we’ll find out soon. I’m so excited for the new season! :D

Comment by Casey – June 17, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Jules SHUT UP ALREADY. Jesus…We get it, you were raped, you didn’t like it. But whining about it on a True Blood forum, espECIALLy, a True Blood forum, isn’t going to win you sympathy votes. We feel bad but you’re quickly becoming annoying.

I think I hear your therapist calling you.

Comment by James – June 17, 2011 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote Eric or Sam
    1. Tara is to stubben to relize
    2. Erica been around a long time (he propberly will to try any think)
    3. Sam is having no luck & not as stubben as Tara

Comment by Fun In The Sun – June 18, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s Terry Belfluer. He’s always given off a gay vibe.

Comment by TomB – June 19, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it will be Andy Bellefleur that ‘turns’ – he was tempted by the ‘V’ at the end of S3, so he may try it, and then…

Comment by MarkT – June 19, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post