Exclusive: The Protector Generates Oscar Buzz, Signs Patty Duke as Ally Walker's Mom

Oscar-winning actress Patty Duke is joining Lifetime’s rookie drama The Protector as the mother of Ally Walker’s titular homicide detective, sources confirm to TVLine exclusively.

Duke will kick off her recurring role in this season’s seventh episode.

The Protector got off to a slow start in the ratings on Sunday, drawing a measly 1.9 million viewers.

Were you one of them?

Comments (26)

• This Character is a rip off of Sarah Walker from Chuck!!! Blonde, gov working, hardcore, serious, WALKER?! WTF lifetime? NBC should sue

Comment by AJ – June 15, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Walker is the actress’s REAL last name :)

Comment by Daniella – June 15, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ally Walker and even dvr’d the pilot but I can’t say I’m overly excited with this show. She’s in another cop drama, just wondering how long till she walks away from it (anyone else remember the profiler?)

Comment by Paul – June 15, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never could get on board with Ally Walker. Whenever I see her I feel like she just finished her second pack of Marlboro Reds for the day. Who wants to kiss nicotine soaked lips? Not I.

I know that she probably doesn’t even smoke, but still, blah!

Comment by Trevor – June 15, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • strangest (however quite funny) post I have read in a long time!

Comment by davey – June 15, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ally Walker is definitely one of those chicks that my mother used to refer to as ” get of my lip…I am gonna spit”. But with that said, many a good or even great show has had an underwhelming first episode. First episodes are extremely difficult, because they have to get the viewer attached to the characters and at the same time also offer up an exciting and intriquing storyline. Both are not easy to accomplish in 40 minutes minus commercials. Let’s give it a couple of episodes before we judge. Just for the record, I have seen many first great episodes where the series just never lives up to it’s first episode. People please…we “constantly complain” that the networks are impatient and ignorant because they cancel our shows to soon. Before they have had the opportunity to develop an audience or a great storyline. Let’s not become complicite in the networks greed and ignorance!!!

Comment by idgie – June 15, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Usually I give a new show at least three episodes to win me over, but the pilot was so underwhelming and blah (the character seemed to be an uninspired knock-off of Mary Shannon on “In Plain Sight” and everyone and everything else was dull). It’s not getting anymore chances from me, not even with the iconic Patty Duke joining.

Comment by Ashley – June 15, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with you. The first ep was very underwhelming.

Comment by Sue – June 15, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously Ally Walker, Annie Walker (Covert Affairs), and Sarah Walker (Chuck) can they not come up with another last name?!?!?

Comment by tv_lover – June 15, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well in this case, Ally Walker is the actress not the character.

Comment by Amanda – June 15, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello people…the name of the ACTRESS is ALLY WALKER. NOT THE CHARACTER. I think her name is Gloria or some awful name. I actually loved her since the Profiler, but the pilot was meh. I did love the kid playing her youngest son.

Comment by Daniella – June 15, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The character’s name is Gloria Shepard

Comment by Linda – June 16, 2011 03:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was awesome playing a psycho ATF agent on SoA.

Comment by Pat D. – June 15, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To Pat D – She was awesome on SOA, which, by the way is one of the best shows on TV..Can’t wait for it to come back in the fall.

Comment by Roro – June 20, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll give it a shot when Patty Duke joins the cast. She’s awesome and been missing from TV for way too long.

Comment by Jeff – June 15, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like her too but I wish she’d lay off the plastic surgery.

Comment by toni – June 15, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She definitely has destroyed her pretty face. She looks like a bloated elf.

Comment by jennrae – June 18, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every time I see Ally Walker now, I think of ATF Agent Stahl on Sons of Anarchy. Lol!

Comment by V – June 15, 2011 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did you mean Emmy buzz?

Comment by Sarah – June 15, 2011 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think, because Patty Duke is an Oscar winner, it’s a bit of a pun…

Comment by Buffy Freak – June 16, 2011 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked her in The Profiler and was looking foward to seeing this premiere but I too was underwhelmed. There is nothing about this show that is different or original. There was quite a bit of overacting and forcing a comedic moment. And I do not see any chemistry between her and her partner. Shame, I really wanted to like this show but it’s just a recycled, done-to-death idea.

Comment by Babygate – June 16, 2011 02:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also liked Ally Walker in the Profiler. That was a great show. I will give this show a chance.

Comment by Linda – June 16, 2011 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • does this mean shes done with sons og arnackey

Comment by regina timpson – June 16, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To Regina post – - Yes, she is done with Sons of Anarchy. She was killed

Comment by Roro – June 20, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is just bad, plain and simple. Ally Walker pretending to be young by having botox, etc. is an insult to the audience. I hate this formulaic crap and I feel cheated having wasted my time watching it.

Comment by Cynthia – June 18, 2011 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does any know who designs the black patent leather tote bag Ally Walker is carrying in her promotionals pictures?

Comment by CZ – June 22, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post