Drop Dead Diva Exclusive First Look: Watch Jane Serenade a Comatose Grayson

Drop Dead Diva is breaking into song again.

In Sunday’s season premiere (Lifetime, 9/8c), Jane finds herself holding vigil as her dearly beloved Grayson fights for his life following last year’s season-ending car accident.

Faced with the possibility of losing Grayson forever, Jane dives into a full-blown song and dance rendition of the ’70s disco classic “Don’t Leave Me This Way” — and we’ve got an exclusive first look at the big production number.

“[We thought] a disco song at a hospital would be hilarious and painful at the same time,” says series creator Josh Berman. “Jane is thinking Grayson’s going to die, and it’s literally, ‘Don’t leave me.’ And then, the notion that he’s getting engaged to Vanessa is, ‘Don’t leave me as a single woman. How could you leave me for somebody else?’”

The sequence, which took all day to shoot and was choreographed by So You Think You Can Dance‘s Keith “Tyce” Diorio, features most of the ensemble doubling as Jane’s backup dancers. The musically-talented cast members were quick studies, raves star Brooke Elliott, especially Tony-nominated Kate Levering, who plays Kim. Elliott also comes from the world of Broadway, so it’s “right up my alley of things I love to do,” she says. And she’ll be doing more of it this season when her TV moms — Sharon Lawrence and Faith Prince — resurface to complicate her life and end up singing “Lean On Me” with Jane.

Check out a sneak peek of “Don’t Leave Me This Way” below, and then post your reviews in the comments!

Loading video...

Comments (10)

• Gah! I love this show, but jeeze louise, please ease up on the musical numbers!!! They are so not needed. I just FF through them.

Comment by Imitation Crab – June 14, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you’re kidding! the musical numbers are part of what makes it so fun and not just another typical legal drama (albeit with a twist)! :) to each his/her own i suppose…

Comment by sam – June 14, 2011 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This one isn’t good. I have dealt with the ones from the past because I can suspend my disbelief, but the vocals and choreography on this seem cheesy.

Comment by the girl – June 15, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, I just love this show, it´s so fun when they sing, Cant wait!

Comment by Mr. M – June 14, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG… can wait for another lovely season.. but yeah, they need to go a little easy on the dance numbers….

Comment by andy – June 15, 2011 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dig the dance numbers

Comment by Genie – June 15, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the musical numbers. As long as they don’t happen in every single episode I’m ok with them. This sounds a little shaky though.

Comment by Yamil – June 16, 2011 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really eager to see the new season! Uhm, I think the musical numbers can be alright, but it should stay occasional… They need to develop the characters more, such as Fred and Stacey and Grayson and Jane as well. Last season was a good start :)

Comment by Eva Klein – June 16, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i have looked up the lyrics for this song, but they are not exactly as how it was song on the show…if anyone can find a hard copy, all i want are the words……thanks in advance —kelli

Comment by kelli – June 19, 2011 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love this show can’t wait for the new/sad last season. It’s a shame they’re canceling this show it’s so funny.

Comment by Terry – March 12, 2014 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post