The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Week

Coming to your TV this week: Two can’t-miss season finales, as Games of Thrones wraps up its epic freshman run and The Killing (presumably?) IDs Rosie Larsen’s killer, three other season-enders, 16 premieres, and one super Smallville repeat. As but a supplement to the awesome features and original reporting TVLine has coming your way, here are 36 programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm Stanley Cup Finals, Game 6 (NBC) | Boston hosts — and hopes to hold off — Vancouver, which is up 3-2. Game 7, if necessary, will air Wednesday.
8 pm How I Met Your Mother (CBS) | In one of this season’s better outings, Barney celebrates “Desperation Day” – aka February 13, when everyone’s scrambling for a Valentine’s date.
10 pm Nurse Jackie (Showtime) | While Jackie tries to “dose down,” Zoey throws a party for the nurses — because bedpans do make great chip-and-dip holders.

8 pm Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family)
| Coming up in Season 2, Aria and Ezra will go public, and much, much more!
8 pm Cupcake Wars (Food Network) | I usually don’t go for these food shows, but… this is cupcakes!
9 pm The Nine Lives of Chloe King (ABC Family) | Chloe gets quite the gift for her 16th birthday: the knowledge that she descends from an ancient race of protectors pursued by human assassins.
9 pm Memphis Beat (TNT) | The Season 2 opener finds Dwight (Jason Lee) fending off an Internal Affairs investigator (Criminal Minds: SB‘s Beau Garrett), while his squad looks into the death of a valued — but perhaps dirty — cop.
9 pm White Collar (USA Network) | Another treasure map? Between that, the Nazi loot and the snazzy hats, this show feels more and more like Indiana Jones.
10 pm HawthoRNe (TNT) | Season 3 premiere: Christina and Tom’s wedding day is waylaid by a strange series of events. Marc Anthony makes his series regular debut as Detective Nick Renata.
10 pm Gene Simmons: Family Jewels (A&E) | Shannon questions her relationship with Gene, while some question how this show is entering a seventh season.
10 pm Covert Affairs (USA Network) | Annie makes a French connection as the spy drama shoots on location in Paris.

8 pm So You Think You Can Dance (Fox)
| The Top 20 dancers perform.
8 pm Coyote Ugly (ABC Family) | Before Piper Perabo fired shots, she poured ’em.
9 pm Criminal Minds (CBS) | “Valhalla” aka what used to be Paget Brewster’s second-to-last episode.
9 pm 101 Gadgets That Changed the World (History) | The editors of Popular Mechanics and other experts rank the most influential inventions of the past 200 years — the DVR hopefully included. But if The Clapper makes the cut, I’m out.
10 pm Top Chef Masters (Bravo) | As part of the season finale, cheftestants must recreate a dish that was previously panned — and serve it to the critics who panned it. Remember, folks, such a dish is best served cold.
10 pm Hot In Cleveland (TV Land) | The women go searching for Elka in Amish country. Where’s Harrison Ford when you need him?
10:30 pm Happily Divorced (TV Land) | Based on events from Fran Drescher’s real life, this new comedy stars TV’s former Nanny as a woman whose marriage ends when her hubby comes out — though circumstances force them to stay living together.
10:30 pm Jon Benjamin Has a Van (Comedy Central) | The voice of Archer‘s Archer and Bob’s Burgers‘ Bob now fronts a faux-news show.
11 pm Rocco’s Dinner Party (Bravo) | This new foodie series asks chefs to plan and prep themed dinner parties for Rocco and his celeb pals.

8 pm Community (NBC) |
Abed makes like a “mean girl” to help the gals fend off Hilary Duff.
9:30 pm Parks and Recreation (NBC) | Will Forte really, really, really wants the Twilight books buried in Leslie’s time capsule.

8 pm Shark Tank (ABC)
| Former Sopranos toughie Vincent Pastore makes the sharks an offer they can’t… etcetera.
8 pm Smallville (The CW) | “Homecoming” aka when Clark (ahem) truly swept Lois off her feet.
8 pm Caddyshack (AMC) | “‘There won’t be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.’ So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.”
9 pm Paranormal Challenge (Travel) | This new “reality” series sends ghostbusters into a haunted house to see who can amass the most evidence of paranormal activity. “Generally you don’t see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.” (See what I did there?)

8 pm COPS (Fox) |
Season finale!
9 pm America’s Most Wanted (Fox) | Technically the series finale, though it’ll return as specials.
9 pm Outcasts (BBC America) | U.S. premiere: Starring Eric Mabius (Ugly Betty), this series concerns the last surviving population of Earth as they try to settle on a newly discovered planet, Carpathia.
11 pm The Inbetweeners (BBC America) | U.S. premiere: Now in its third season (or “series,” as they say across the pond), this comedy follows four young blokes in high school.

8 pm Daytime Emmy Awards (CBS) |
Catch it this year, before choosing Outstanding Daytime Drama gets decides by a coin toss.
9 pm Falling Skies (TNT) | If V had taken itself 200 percent more seriously and depicted 10 times as much military strategy, this is what it would look like. Noah Wyle stars, the aliens are plenty ugly, and Moon Bloodgood is out-of-this-world purty.
9 pm AFI Life Achievement (TV Land) | Clint Eastwood, Denzel Washington and Helen Mirren are on hand as Morgan Freeman receives the annual honor. Morgan Freeman presumably narrates.
9 pm Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime) | Season 3 premiere: While waiting for Grayson to wake from his coma, Jane handles a hit-and-run case involving a celebrity bad boy.
9 pm Game of Thrones (HBO) | Season 1 ends with horrible news reaching all corners of the Seven Kingdoms, Jon facing a very difficult decision (Don’t lose your head now, boy!), and Daenerys blindsided by a setback.
10 pm The Killing (AMC) | Season finale, so place your bets! “Orpheus” is paying even money.

Which of the above is must-see TV for you? And by all means, hit the comments to politely share tune-in recommendations of your own.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Colleen says:

As much fun as Switched at Birth was last week to watch it so should be on the list!!

2. Kathryn says:

Really looking forward to Hawthorne’s premiere! And after last night’s Game of Thrones I shudder to think what else they are gonna throw at us the season finale. I can’t wait though

3. Kylie says:

The Inbetweeners isn’t set in a private school it’s a free to attend government run school

4. Pam says:

A friend and I have been talking about the Killing all morning so cannot wait until Sunday! Ugh… longest..week…ever!

5. Denise says:

I cannot make up my mind about The Killing. I like it enough to keep watching but…hmmm, not sure what keeps me from loving it.

• kristen says:

Denise…I’m the same way. Some weeks I love it especially the first two episodes. I don’t feel completely in love with the show but can’t stop myself from watching it. At times it feels like it moves too slow and going too many directions. How it’s taken them this long for figure out all the places Rosie was that one night seems far fetched.

• Brandi says:

I would definitely have to disagree that it’s far fetched. It’s only taken them 12 days. Each episode represents a day in the investigation. Seems very believable to me.

6. MPG fan says:

What about Franklin and Bash?? I love that show!!

7. fernando says:

Its about time Pretty Little Liars came back!

8. Nick says:

If you watch shows about cupcakes and cooking, then, I dunno, your probably a boring person or something.

9. Ashley says:

I’m so excited about the return of “Drop Dead Diva”, but you should have also included “In Plain Sight” – I can’t wait to see how Mary’s pregnancy storyline continues to unfold!

10. mitch says:

nice to see a little game of thrones love on here. it feels like it hasn’t received much so far.

11. TimW (No, not that one) says:

The Killing is smelling more like Twin Peaks every week. There’s the tug between stretching out the story to fill episodes, and taking so long to solve the case that we don’t care anymore. Everybody loses. Then there’s the problem of what to do next. The episode with the two cops focused on Linden’s kid, completely apart from the Rosie case, showed me that you can build a terrific show around these two…but how? Twin Peaks literally couldn’t come up with a thing, and I’m not feeling good about this.

I was excited about Falling Skies, especially with Graham Yost (Justified!!!) exec producing. Taking itself 200% more seriously than V? Try 200 TIMES. Roots was serious. Even Walking Dead is serious. This is a dog with fleas.

And no love for So You Think You Can Dance? Crazily better than American Idol, and flat out the best thing on this summer.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

SYTYCD is there, on Wednesday. Certainly not going to list every single performance, recap, precap, highlights, voting and results show.

12. MissKitty says:

Um…you missed the best cop drama on TV and that is The Glades. Shame on you!

• Denise says:

Did the lead actor have plastic surgery? Something around his eyes is off.

• FLswampwolf says:

I thought something looked a bit different about him this season! Maybe his eyes have finally gotten used to the bright Florida sunshine and he’s not squinting as much. Or he doesn’t have to concentrate as much to fake the American accent that seemed so hard for him last year. Doesn’t matter; love the show anyway. Now, if they would dump the husband-out-of-prison plot ASAP. This crew has already established their chemistry and charm and don’t really need the distracting, unnecessary and done-to-death bad boy messing things up storyline.

13. Emily says:

So excited for the Game of Thrones finale!

14. Tahoe Mike says:

Wow is this site missing the boat on TREME! I just don’t get the lack of love here for something so good.

15. Chris says:

Which blind item did the weekly Scoop Alert newsletter apply to?

16. fugly says:

I guess now that United States of Tara hasn’t been renwed, it doesn’t get a shout out?

17. Brandi says:

I really enjoy the TV Worth Watching feature and I think you do a great job covering a variety of programming Matt. But, this week it seems a little heavy on re-runs when there are a number of new episodes airing this week not mentioned. Love Bites? Teen Wolf? Switched at Birth? Franklin and Bash? I would rather new programming be highlighted than episodes I just watched a few months ago and will soon be viewing on DVD or Netflix.

18. Tee says:

I thought the first episode of Switched at Birth was cute, I’m checking that out this week. I also watch In Plain Sight even if it’s feeling a little tired.

Drop Dead Diva will get dvr’d so I can watch the Game of Thrones finale, can’t wait!

I’d check out Treme but still need to get caught up on old episodes. Hate watching stuff out of order.

19. stacymac says:

MON—Way to go Boston! Game 7 here we come!
    TUE—Covert Affairs baby! I Heart Augie!
    WED—Criminal Minds always deserves a re-watch!
    THU—Think I’ll watch some reruns of Whose Line Is It Anyway?
    TGIF—Smallville of course, thank you ma’am may I have another?!
    SAT—No TV for this mom, my baby girl is in jiu jitsu competition
    SUN—Game Of Thrones, Game of Thrones, bring it Lannisters!
    And that’s MY week of TV, but not necessarily in that order—thank goodness for DVR! lol

20. Scott says: