Ratings: Tony Awards Inches Up (Watch NPH's Recap Rap Here!), NBA Finals Goes Out Big

CBS’ broadcast of the 65th annual Tony Awards — awesomely hosted by Neil Patrick Harris — veritably matched last year’s audience of 7 million total viewers while drawing a 1.2 demo rating (up 6 percent). That is not too shabby, considering that the award show’s annual competition, the NBA Finals, commanded a 50-percent larger audience than it did a year ago.

Watch NPH’s closing “rap” of the evening’s events here:

All told, ABC’s presentation of the NBA Finals’ deciding Game 6 averaged 21.1 million viewers and an 8.6 demo rating, up 17 and 21 percent from last season’s Game 6.

And… that’s all I’ve got for now.

1. Nicotine says:

GO MAVS!

2. John Berggren says:

NPH was excellent. I just wish I had planned for an overrun, as I missed his Rap. I was a little put off by Chris Rock presenting the big award until I read this morning that he re-evaluated his stance on Tracy Morgan.

3. SnazzyO says:

That rap was the awesomesauce.

4. amanda says:

nph and hugh jackman should host the next oscat
    r together!! they are awesome!

5. Mikos says:

And that’s why he get asked to host these shindigs!

6. Katie says:

Yay Lin-Manuel Miranda for writing that on the fly!

7. fernando says:

I hate that ya never out how much ratings, cable shows like Army Wives did.

8. Swisskev78 says:

Yeah, NPH was definitely awesome (like he is in everything he does!) The closing rap was great, but so was the opening number (It’s not just for gays) as well as the host-off with Hugh Jackman. Definitely agree with Amanda, the two of them together hosting the Oscar’s would definitely make it must watch TV!!

9. Nancy says:

Loved, loved, loved this years show. NPH is incredibly talented and funny!!

10. urkidian says:

I don’t speak english very well… so I didn’t understand NPH’s joke: “Ironically, that entire horse is held together by glue”… and all the audience was laughing!!
    Anyone coul help me?

• Anissa says:

Though it’s not true nowadays, horses used to be turned into glue (the connective tissue in the hooves, bones, tendons, ligaments and cartilage) when a horse was past its prime and of no further use. So people would joke that if a horse didn’t win the race it was off to the glue factory (or dog food factory as that was another use). So as this horse was a puppet and possibly held together w/ glue in its construction, this irony was the joke.

Hope that helped.

11. JAO says:

Loved the show … NPH is awesome… Hugh Jackman is also great. The Tony’s are my favorite award show. You can even see the photos of the memorials .. not like the Oscars. GO NPH!!

12. paul says:

Rap music? Really? Rap is not even music. It was an undignified way to end an award show celebrating Broadway. Do rap concerts end with “Hello Dolly?” I expect more from NPH and Broadway than the crap known as rap.