Emmys

Emmys 2011: The Supporting Drama Actress Race in Review, Including Our Dream Nominees

Behind virtually every great TV headliner today there is a great, and often times large, ensemble. Which means that scoring a nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series may be one of the most competitive battles Emmy serves up. But with Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men) braving the Lead Actress race this year and Rose Byrne out of the race entirely (Season 3 of Damages didn’t air during the eligibility period), watch for some new blood to be injected into the race.

More Emmy Races In Review: Lead Drama Actress | Drama Series | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Comedy Series | Reality-Competition Program

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s half-dozen Dream Nominees — then vote below for who you think are the six best. And check back Tuesday for our preview of the Supporting Drama Actor race!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Dream Emmy Nominees, Emmys, Lists

1. GdG says:

I want Lisa E to win this emmy. Not because i think she deserves it ( k dont know all the other actresses so i shouldnt be one to talk) but becaude i like her. I know she is not a really good actresses and i totally understand those who say that she shouldnt even get a nomination cuz like I said I don’t think she is that good (then again I repeat I don’t know the others, they might be as bad as she is so..) but I liked her character and YES I am a huddy fangirl but mostly a Cuddy one ( and I am not talking about the crying emotional Cuddy but the cold hearted bitch who wouldn’t stop at anything and archieves all her goals and lets nothing come her way Cuddy) so YES I WANT Lisa E to WIN this EMMY. Besides it might he the last time she get nominated for anything. :P let her live the glory a little longer ;)

• Nolee says:

:D You SOOO don’t like her. You’re absolutely offensive actually and rude. I don’t know what you were trying here but it’s pathetic, and sad. It’s fine not to like someone’s character but to come out and talk bullsh*t about her just for fun is low.

• M says:

Keep going. Posters like you prove time and again that Lisa E must have done something right with her life. Your hate and bitterness is the best statement to her talent. Makes me proud to be her fan. So thank you!

2. Jess says:

It’s a good list. Every single one there deserves the Emmy, some more than others. I myself keep my hopes up for Ms. Edelstein. It’s unfortunate she hasn’t been given more chances to shine, the woman can do so much. Sometimes she doesn’t even have to open her mouth for people to understand her. Yup, she’s precious.

3. M says:

Hmm, reading your praise I kinda wish I watched Justified. Is it a good show? Worth downloading?

4. claudia lacharité says:

let’s go Lisa Edelstein we love you are the best !!!!!!!

5. huddy says:

LISAAAAAA!

6. Sandy says:

I want Lisa E to get the nod and I want Michelle Forbes to win.

7. ked says:

i cant take this list seriously when you have Sara Ramirez for Grey’s and not Sandra Oh or Chandra Wilson or even Jessica Capshaw.

• to ked says:

I keep watching Grey’s only because of these four ladies. They all are great, but this year Sara Ramirez got more exposure.

8. DanieGermany says:

Lisa Edelstein for the win ! End of story.

9. Greenout says:

As much as I love Archie Panjabi, she won it last year. If Michelle Forbes doesn’t get it this year for The Killing, then well… the voting was rigged by sponsors and agents!

10. Lia says:

Definitely Lisa Edelstein!
    She is such a talented actress and a wonderful human beeing.
    I love how she portrayed Cuddy. She did such a great job.
    Lisa really deserves this. Give her the Emmy!!!!

11. LISA not E says:

Lisa E & only SHE

12. August says:

The ones (no matter who they are) leading the poll are always hated by bitter bitter voters who can’t keep up. It’s unbelievable that people get so worked up over things like that, quite scary.

• Helen says:

@August LOVED your comment.. SO TRUE, that’s why, seeing that Ms. Lisa Edelstein is winning on this poll, the bitter fans are spreading their hate and anger towards the actress and the #Lisabians who are voting for her.. PATHETIC REALLY.. #LERocks along with her fans, SO DEAL WITH IT!!!! With EMMY AWARD or not, we will always support her and we are not bashing any other actresses here, who why can’t the others do the same and just respect our opinions? NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO LIKE HER JUST AS WE DON’T BASH YOUR FAVE ACTORS.. AND FOR THE RECORD, WE DO VOTE MANUALLY. WE ARE JUST VERY PASSIONATE about Ms. Lisa so we schedule our voting time round the clock.. #WeSupportLisaE

13. adam says:

One word: Edelstein

14. lidia says:

Lisa Edelstein should win the Emmy this year because it is her last chance and also because she is absolutly gorgeous!! SHE IS THE ONE!!!!

15. Justin says:

I’d nominate Michelle Forbes, though her role on The Killing is sort of one-note, she’s still great and adds a huge presence to that show. Khandi Alexander, because she totally deserves a nod. Kelly MacDonald from Boardwalk. She’s been great from day one, and there’s really no character on this list who I’ve been more invested in from the start. My last two would be Elizabeth Moss, even though she’s pretending to be a lead this season for some reason, when truthfully the only lead on Mad Men is Jonn Hamm. She’d have a much better chance here, where she belongs. It’s foolish to think otherwise. And lastly, a very unpopular opinion, Monica Potter from Parenthood. For some reason, I find her portrayal of a mother fascinating. She has great chemistry with Peter Krause and she’s one of my favs over at Parenthood, which is criminally under-rated.

• Justin says:

Oh, and I despise House. So for me, I don’t think Lisa Edelstein deserves anything. She’s fine, but that show is just so tired and needs to be laid to rest already.

16. Brit says:

What I really wanted to do was vote for Lisa E. six times…

17. MrMank says:

I think I’m the only one on the boards with any love for Michelle Forbes! One of the most underrated actresses in history, she gives a tour de force performance as Mitch Larson on The Killing. Certain she’s a long shot, but my votes for her all the way.

18. Ally says:

Lisa Edelstein for the win! LMAO at the bitter troll haters who are all further helping LE in her future successes by showering her with attention. Attention is attention and if you’re giving it to her, then you’re obsessed enough to watch her in whatever she does next. It shows the networks how much focus is on her. Thanks for the help!

19. Jo says:

Lisa Edelstein deserves to be nominated!!

20. jack says:

Lisa Edelstein is so talented, she is an awasome drama and comedy actress; she has been part in some of the most relevant tv shows in the last 2 decades and I think that she deserves this Emmy!! VOTE FOR LISAE, she totally worht it!!

21. pj says:

Naya Rivera, Glee’s Santana!

22. Roy says:

I voted for KaDee Strickland, Sara Ramirez, Archie Panjabi, Christine Baranski and via the other option for Kate Walsh and Sally Field. The all excelled this year in my opinion and had at least 1 episode where they really showed what their capable of as actresses. But I think KaDee deserves it the most for any of the episodes with rape storyline.

23. MariÁngeles says:

KADEE STRICKLAND DESERVES THE NOMINATION ON THE EMMNY´S AWARDS!!! She did an amazing & incredible job this season on Private Practice. Her character´s storyline has helped & is helping many people, actually she is involving in everything to help rape´s survivors & victims & the most important thing is that she is doing that with much respect & because she really wants to do it. KaDee S. is not only an amazing actress but a great woman, so she deserves this award :)

So, let´s VOTE KADEE STRICKLAND!!!

24. kakas says:

Why every time we talk about Lisa Edelstein, there are always jealous? You are jealous of her beauty? of its humor? its inteligente? Ok! Either, but for heaven’s sake: Shut up ! She is extraordinary and deserves the Emmy. :) Thanks

25. Cil says:

I adore Lisa Edelstein. I vote for her :D

26. s says:

Sara was fantastic this season on Grey’s and definitely deserves a nom. Her character went through a whirlwind this season, and gave Sara the opportunity to show her diverse acting chops. In addition, she was able to showcase her wonderful voice in the musical episode, and prove that she is one of the most well-rounded and talented actresses on this list. For her to not be nominated would be a true travesty.

27. Meowgirl says:

I agree with everything you´ve said! KaDee FTW!

28. bhm1304 says:

If there is justice it will come down to a knock down drag out between Margo Martindale “Justified” v. Michelle Forbes “The Killing”. I’d also put in Kandi Alexander who has found the best role of her career on “Treme”. Glaring omissions Emilia Clarke from “Game of Thrones” (she’s playing one of the most difficult roles of any supporting actress, shes a newcomer and she is completely knocking out of the park each time she has a scene, how can she not make the list?) and Holiday Grainger, “The Borgias”, no matter what problems that show had, Holiday Grainger and her performance as Lucretia Borgia wasn’t one of them. Someone who also deserves a spot, should have been nominated for previous seasons but deserves a spot is the other woman from Charming, Maggie Siff for “Sons of Anarchy”.

29. Blue says:

Sara Ramirez definitely deserves an Emmy award for her performance in Greys this season! She was absolutely the best and strongest among all of them. The girl deserves better than that show, though.

30. red says:

My vote for Lisa Edelstein! watch her on screen as Cuddy is priceless!

31. Géraldine says:

Strange to see that neither Jessica Capshaw and/or Sandra Oh have been quoted for Grey’s OR Paget Brewster who was absolutely awesome this season for Criminal Minds be absent from the list!
    Maybe Sara Ramirez deserves a nod but not to win! The threesome SL was a bad & total joke! If Ramirez is quoted, Capshaw would deserve to be too ’cause she did a great job! )

Same thing for supporting actress in a comedy list where Jane Lynch was quoted even though her character was ridiculous this season and an actress like Naya Rivera was completly forgotten even though, she really deserved to be quoted and maybe even, to win the statue!

32. tipitina says:

Lisa Edelstein gets my first place vote. She was outstanding. After her, I would say that Khandi Alexander and Debra Winger both deserve notice.

33. Babygate says:

Sara Ramirez all the way! She has been underused and un-appreciated since she started with Grey’s. This season we finally got to see the reason why she’s a Tony Winner. The woman can speak without even opening her mouth. And she completely hit it out the park during the music episode. She improved every single song she sang with her voice and mastery of musical interpretation.

34. Francesca says:

There are some great talents in this poll, the one that gets my vote is Lisa Edelstein She made her character grow through emotionally and narratively all these years, and even with the writing more and more in crisis, she’s been able to give intense and powerful portraits of a woman.

35. laylagalise says:

Honestly, Khandi Alexander deserves this trophy (no offense to the ladies of Mad Men, The Good Wife, or Justified), but she won’t won’t be nominated for it. Which is a shame because when I watch ‘Treme’ I don’t even think of her as an actress, she completely embodies her character. It’s hard to believe she was ever on CSI: Miami or News Radio.

36. tw says:

I think sara shouldn’t get the nod.she’s a great actress but the musical episode wasn’t a breakthrough performance for
    Her. Kadee and mae whitman !

37. clare says:

My vote is for LisaEdelstein, the reason is very simple: I love her portrayal as Cuddy, she has made a wonderful work the last 7 years and she totally deserves an Emmy nomination!!

38. Lynn says:

I vote for KaDee Strickland all the way! I hope she at least gets a nomination.

39. Mik says:

Lisa Edelstein

40. Hugh says:

only lisa edelstein because she the best and deserved this awards.

41. Jay says:

I’ve been a regular watcher of House and I really REALLY enjoyed 1-5 seasons and as much as I’ve seen – Lisa Edelstein is a pearl. Unfortunately she was barely in season 6 and I haven’t seen much of season 7 yet (I’ve heard a lot of criticism about writers though, LOL). Anyways, the woman can act and oh so well. She should have her own show instead of being a shadow behind House. I’m sincerely surprised she hasn’t won Emmy already.

42. kirk says:

Lisa E

43. Alienware says:

Voted for:
    Christine Baranski for The Good Wife
    Michelle Forbes for The Killing
    Christina Hendricks for Mad Men
    Margo Martindale for Justified
    Kelly Macdonald for Boardwalk Empire
    Amy Ryan for In Treatment (I would LOVE to see her win)

44. bere says:

Lisa Edelstein is great
    she deserved¡¡¡
    WeSupportLisaE

45. me says:

I cannot believe I am seeing Sara Ramirez on this list instead of SANDRA OH! My God. And I know lesbians are “hot ” right now, but this season was crap for a reason. I would be so dissapointed if she was nominated and other much better actors are not.
    Even Chandra Wislon was better than her. She had tiny scenes but still amazing. Unfortunately Emmys are a popularity contest instead of an acting award

46. Jaime says:

Sara Ramirez is amazing. She plays her role so realistically that I find myself relating to her character. Her emotions, her reactions, all of it is right on que. There is no hesitation in her acting while playing the role of a lesbian.

47. bill says:

Archie Panjabi, ‘The Good Wife’

48. arianna says:

Team KaDee all the way, her performance this year was beyond stellar, she deserves the nomination and the win!!

49. Cynthia says:

Ms. Ramirez acting range is phenomenal. ABC is lucky to have her.If she ends up on the ballot my guess is that these fine acting women might be a bit nervous. If I were to pick I go with Christine Baranski and Margot Martindale. When Grey ends maybe we will get a
    to appreciate Ms.SARA’s RIDICULOUS BRILLIANCE.

50. Yuli03zh says:

My vote is for Lisa EDelstein. she is a great actress and it is a shame that House MD gave her poor storyline but it doesnt mean she is not good actrees. In episodie called Family practice she did her best job!