30 Rock's Tracy Morgan Declares, 'If I Had a Gay Son I Would Love Him'

Tracy Morgan’s headline-grabbing Damage Control Tour continues.

Four days after the 30 Rock star apologized for unleashing an anti-gay rant during a comedy act, Morgan once again expressed deep regret for his choice of words in an interview with hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons (via GlobalGrind.com).

“I guess the reason I am successful is because I am so unfiltered,” he said. “And sometimes as a result I say really stupid s–t. The truth is if I had a gay son, I would love him just as much as if he was straight … I might have to try to love even more because I know of the difficulty that he would have in society.”

Morgan’s now-infamous tirade — during which he said that he’d “stab” his son if he turned out to be gay — drew a strong rebuke from his 30 Rock boss Tina Fey, who called his comments “disturbing… at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue.”

“Of all the sicknesses, there is probably none more abusive than homophobia,” Morgan told Simmons. “My heart is committed to giving everyone the same rights that I deserve for myself. I don’t care if you love the same sex as long as you have the ability to love someone. Also, you should have the right no matter who you are to protect and serve our country. I am deeply sorry for the comments I made. What I am most sad about is the comments I made about kids and bullying. I would never want any young person to think that I wasn’t on their side and if any young person thinks they can bully a young gay kid, come see me at 30 Rock. On the corner, I would be happy to meet you.  Or Brooklyn if you can’t make it into Manhattan.

“When all of this set in, I realized how hurtful my words were,” he added. “Not asking anyone to feel sorry for me or pity me, but I definitely don’t want or need people to defend me. In my heart, I know that the words I used are indefensible. I appreciate the love from my friends and fans, but I was wrong. Period. Now, I just gotta think of some funny s***, not some s–t that gets me knocked upside my head.”

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Controversy, News

1. mamaLarson3 says:

He might as well have started his big mea culpa with: “Here comes the fun-cooker”. Or, how about: “I’m Lizzing. I’m LIZZING!” It all would have sounded a bit more authentic…

2. Jess says:

Who hasn’t stuck their foot in there mouth? Only difference is a lot of people were listening to him. I wasnt there but he was probably trying to be funny, and he bombed.

3. Floathouse says:

Tracy Morgan is the new black Dennis Miller. His act of subservience to the political correct hive-mind is unconscionable. Intellectually dishonest at the very least. So Tina Fay decides what’s funny? I don’t have to agree with him to defend to the death his right to say it.

Any of you ever listen to Lenny Bruce?

Hate speech?? Please N….

Do you have any idea how many people were killed by Fascist Right Wing war machines last year? About 2 million. Do you know how many children died of hunger last year? 15 Million. That’s 35,000 Today! Do you know how many people died today in America as a direct result of the use and abuse of Alcohol and Tobacco? 2,500. TODAY! And the same will die tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that.

Your priorities are slightly askew when you focus on ‘Hate-Speech’. Face it, dipweed. You are just a tool of the Corpocracy Overlords. Long as you keep whining about bushwa, no one is paying any attention to the rape of the planet.

Tracy Morgan should be ashamed of himself for even thinking of apologizing to anyone. You don’t like what he has to say, don’t freakin listen. Hate speech, my red monkey butt. Hate is NOT speech, Hate is actually killing people with poisonous products and habitat destroying greed….and of course, bombs.

And certainly my response will be edited or deleted by the Corpocracy Overlord’s HiveThink Police.

Welcome to the Parrot Cage, Tracy.

4. David says:

He is a comedian and comedians tell jokes… He does not discriminate he makes front of everybody

5. Matt M. says:

Another generic, insincere celebrity apology. Homophobia a “sickness”? THAT’S an original excuse. *sarcasm,obviously*

6. naomi bracey says:

I have said many stupid things in my life that I genuinely regretted, sometimes immediately after it came out of my mouth. I believe it’s very important for a person to apologize when they realize that they have made a mistake. When you can apologize without making excuses, or blaming others, I believe the apology should be accepted. Something else is going on with individuals who cannot accept an apology from a person who in no way blames the persons he has offended. I think it is very telling that the race of the person seems to come up as much as the offending comments he made. I think it is very obvious that in the minds of some that it is really his race that is offensive and unforgivable, no matter what may be said to the contrary.

7. William says:

@Alex

You seem to misunderstanding exactly what the constitution guarantees. It guarantees us that the government cannot deny us freedom of speech. It does not guarantee that you have the right to be heard, or that there will not be negative consequences for what you say. As far as the government is concerned what Morgan said was just fine. As far as his employers are concerned continuing to be associated with him, could cause them to lose money.

8. alperks33 says:

Tracy morgan said some things in his comedy that were true relative and metaphorical. Gays and lesbians choose to be who they are and that’s fine for them. It was funny because that’s what most heterosexual beings feel should happen to gay and lesbians, not stabbed, but maybe something like the jews.