Undercovers Star Gugu Mbatha-Raw Set As Female Lead In Fox's Pilot Touch

British actress Gugu Mbatha-Raw, the breakout star of J.J. Abrams’ short-lived NBC spy dramedy Undercovers, has landed the female lead opposite Kiefer Sutherland in the Fox drama pilot Touch, written by Heroes creator Tim Kring.

The project, which is considered a lock for a midseason series order, centers on Martin (Sutherland) who discovers that his genius son Jake (David Mazouz) is communicating with him through a complex series of numbers and may even be able to predict events before they happen.

For more details on this story, head over to TVLine’s sister site Deadline.com.

1. Tim says:

Not going to lie, that sort of takes away a bit of anticipation I had for the show. I can’t really say I like her acting much.

• singout says:

I’ve got to say I mostly agree with Tim … I thought Undercovers was a complete failure, with poor performances by both of the lead actors. Completely unbelievable. Now a good part of that probably weighs on the silly concept and lazy writing … so maybe there’s still a chance for this one. We shall see.

• Brooke says:

I think the actors did their best on Undercovers with severely mediocre scripts. It was such a squandered opportunity of a show.

2. friday says:

Can’t wait for this show, love Gugu and her acting, very talented person.

3. Michelle says:

Tish deserves better than something created by Tim Kring. :(

4. Barb says:

She’s a great addition to the show!

5. MichaelSacal says:

So, from the premise I gather that Tim Kring saw the movie Knowing and figured that he could just rip it off…

6. Guy says:

Well lets say goodbye to the show now. She wasn’t good at all in Undercovers. Bad choice FOX.

7. teniba says:

great addition to this, she was great on udercovers, even though the concept was sketchy… congratulatiosn to her… danny glover also is in the project …

8. theManwhoLaughs says:

Good 4 her. As for Undercovers’ not working, I think it was a cool premise & written OK. However Mbatha-Raw was poorly cast as the ex-CIA agent with years of experience so profound the “company” hires her & hubby out of retirement for off-the-book cases.
    She’d have been better cast as the little sister who takes care of the restaurant/catering business while big sis goes off on missons. A 40-something actress — e.g., Nia Long; Nicole Ari Parker, Michael Michele — would have been more believeable. A woman under 30 as a CIA retiree was simply not very realistic.
    Good luck with the new show Gugu!

• the girl says:

I never thought about it like that, but you’re right. She was way too young to be considered a retiree. I did think the show was fun and enjoyed the escapism of it all, and never really gave it that much serious thought. On another note, Gugu Mbatha-Raw is absolutely gorgeous (not to mention she is on my celebrity exemption list) and very talented so I will watch this show with the hopes that she will get past the bad stain of Undercovers.

• Don W says:

C’mon, give me a break. No matter how the good the script was, it was going to fail, because 2 african americans were cast. People are not ready to see black people in “serious roles”, plus romantically involved. When I saw it debut, I said let me enjoy it while it’s on, because it will be cancelled, and it’s not like “Chuck” which is considered so great. I understand the racism, OOOPs, the polictics of Hollywood. I tip my hat to J.J. Abrams for wanting to do it at all.

9. Amy says:

She’s a fabulous performer given the right material, which “Undercovers,” sadly, was not. I’m not convinced this one is either, though; I still think the premise sounds unworkable in the long term.