Killer Killing Scoop: Could Mitch's Sister Be Involved In Rosie Larsen's Murder?

I have a killer theory: Somehow, someway The Killing‘s Aunt Terry (played by Jamie Anne Allman) is involved in the murder mystery surrounding her late niece Rosie Larsen.

I’ve been nursing this idea for a few weeks now, and while I won’t go so far as to say the supportive family member ended Rosie’s life herself, I definitely think she knows something — and that the something I speak of needs to come out soon.

Ever the sleuth, I ran my theory by Michelle Forbes (Mitch) , who inadvertently added fuel to my sisterly speculation. The Emmy-worthy actress also previewed what’s to come on The Killing‘s final two episodes — and what she thinks of the season-ending twist.

TVLINE | The Killing‘s first season is thisclose to coming to an end, and I’m no closer to solving this murder. I do have a theory about Terry’s involvement, though. Can you tease anything ahead for Mitch and her sister?
We do have a bit of a showdown in the downstairs office. It’s a sororitial relationship with those two, like most sisters have. It’s fraught with difficulties and confusion, and they challenge each other and fight, but underneath there’s an enormous amount of love. I quite enjoyed playing that because Jamie Anne Allman has become a very close friend of mine, and that onscreen bond was easy to come by. That said, we never really knew why she was just hanging around and being so helpful. You can understand it to a degree, because a tragedy has happened and family does rally around, but why was she so present? And so present on that level? That was something curious to me….

TVLINE | Interesting. Let’s talk a little more about Mitch’s journey in the next episodes. She seems to finally be finding her footing a bit.
Everything is falling apart and fracturing for Mitch. Her journey has been quite perplexing, stopping her in her tracks with this horrific event. What’s really frustrating for her is that she can’t get the closure that she needs because she keeps being betrayed by everyone around her. She’s been lied to by the cops, by her husband, by her sister, by Belko, and in the last little bit [of Season 1] she really starts to unravel. But what’s interesting is that she’s finally aware of how she’s unraveling. She’s been in such shock up until this very moment. I know it’s been months of watching this for the viewers, but it’s really only been like a week-and-a-half for Mitch. She’s finally realizing that she’s not OK, and she’ll have to make some big decisions about her life. She’s a desperate woman in so many ways.

TVLINE | We learned so much more about Mireille Enos’ Linden as a mother in last week’s episode. Might we see a less combative, more maternal chat occur between the detective and Mitch?
Unfortunately, no. It’s interesting that you bring up Mitch being combative with Linden, because I was never quite clear about that in the beginning. I never understood the reason for it, to be honest, especially when your child is in danger. But as time went on, there was a basis for it. She had been lied to by the cops and there was incompetency. [Bonding] was something I’d hoped for because they are both mothers, but it didn’t happen. It would have been great to have seen some sort of understanding and passion between them.

TVLINE | Is there any chance we’ll finally see some flashback footage of Rosie with her family by season’s end?
No, and the original [Danish] series didn’t have any flashbacks either. I guess the point has been to get to know this girl as the detectives would, without that extra added dramatic effect.

TVLINE | You’ve been vocal about staying in the dark when it came to The Killing‘s storylines, but what was your reaction upon receiving to the final scripts?
To be completely honest, I was so exhausted from carrying this grief, I was just glad it was coming to some sort of conclusion. [Laughs] I have had other arduous jobs where I’ve carried grief, but because of the nature of the timeline on The Killing, it was relentless. You couldn’t skip ahead with any healing; you are just in that raw, absolutely gutted grief. It gets painful after awhile. So, I was glad to get back to the living and the sunshine.

TVLINE | I can imagine! How do think viewers will react to the ending? Will the resolution please fans?
I’ll tell you this: I didn’t read the rest of the script. I just read what was happening for Mitch. Whether they’ll be pleased with what’s happening with her, I honestly can’t say. I can usually take the emotional temperature, but for some reason I can’t on this one. Honest to God, I don’t know what happens with anything else.

TVLINE | That is pretty incredible, given the mystery surrounding this series. Do you approach scripts in that manner on purpose?
I do, to a great degree — especially on this show. I’ll breeze through the script to make sure I’m not missing a piece of information that my character would need, but I really try to not read on. It’s actually a skill you acquire. At table reads I’d kind of make myself go a little blind, deaf, and dumb. Having been on so many of these mysterious shows, like 24 and True Blood, it’s best to just not know. Then if somebody asks me for a spoiler, I can be completely honest. [Laughs]

AMC’s The Killing airs Sundays at 10/9c. What’s your latest theory?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Finales, Keep Or Cut, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Jenilee says:

My fiance and i have suspected her for over a month now! Glad we arent the only ones!

• meme says:

I don’t understand all the mystery. We’ve all seen the danish series and know who killed Nanna Birk Larsen aka Rosie Larsen. When there’s a new ORIGINAL show, I promise, I’ll participate in all the guessing games!

• Hols says:

The producers have stated multiple times in multiple formats that the killer is not the same person in the American version as it was in the Danish version.

2. Joe Jackson says:

I thought it was the sister since like the 2nd episode, I was hoping they were just making her a red herring since it was so obvious

3. AJ says:

Somehow the sister and the City Councilman running for mayor fit into what happened. I don’t think the video of him meeting Rosie and shaking her hand is any kind of red herring. It struck me as almost Bill Clinton like. Maybe the sister found out he was sleeping with Rosie and was using Rosie to blackmail him and got Rosie killed? My prime suspect is still Linden’s fiancee because he wants himself and her out of town in a bad way, but thiis is a good theory and is making me doubt myself. They have obvioulsy changed the killer from the Danish version and hopefully it’s going to be a conspiracy of some sort and not a lone killer. I know others that have suspected the sister but I could never put a finger on the reason. Now I can.

4. Melissa Bailey says:

I started thinking the sister had something to do with it a few weeks ago. There is something off there.

5. Amber says:

I’m sticking with the killer being the councilman’s lover gal/campaign manager or whatever her job is.

• Erin says:

I’ve been torn between both her and the sister for the past few episodes… I think it has to be one of the two of them. I hope it isn’t the councilman’s male campaign manager… I’ve been liking him so far.

• AJ says:

Yeah that’s a good point. She was awfully nervous about the woman finding that video of Rosie and Richmond, but then again so was the other campaign guy. I can see her being the killer, maybe out of jealousy of him having a relationship with Rosie. And quite possible she found out about the affair through the sister wanting some hush money. Still trying to figure out how their bank accounts being drained fits in. Was it because of the house Stan was buying, or did the sister take it for some reason? I figured it was because of the house, but I’m not sure now.

• Stace says:

It was because of the house, Stan stated that to Belko in an episode explaining why he wanted to sell it.

• beefcake says:

I think its either the girl or guy campaign manager. i think the councilman had an affair with rosie and the lover or guy covered it up. i think its more the guy because he goes nuts over everything with the councilman. Now that we seen her dressed up at the casino getting money, she might be a hooker and maybe thats how she met the councilman. i dont think its the sister. I also could see the friend of the dad who helped put the teacher in the hospital. He might have tried to rape her or he was having an affair with her and he slapped her around and then killed her by accident? Anyone else think rosie was a hooker?

6. Corinne says:

I agree that the sister has probably been helping so much out of guilt. My wild shot theory, is that Aunt Terry discovered a relationship between Rosie and Richmond and was blackmailing the campaign. I think Gwen(girlfriend/campaign manager)found out or got sick of it, and she killed Rosie, maybe to protect Richmond, maybe out of jealousy.

• J says:

That’s the best theory I’ve heard, although I think it’s the other campaign manager, who killed Rosie to protect Richmond. The blond guy has been acting funny since day 1.

7. ruby says:

the theory is not far fetched but when the season ends will we find out who sara Larson’s killer is and if so will season 2 start with another case and another body or will the sara larson case continue throughout seasons ?

8. Jeanius says:

I’ve definitely felt there was something off about Terry for weeks, but like others have said, I can’t see her being the killer- just that she has some crucial piece of info or link to the killer that we’re missing.

9. Liz says:

I’ve been saying that it was the aunt from the beginning. When she started cleaning everything in the house, I thought of it as cleaning up evidence, not just helping out after a death in the family. She is also always so skittish, as if she is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

10. Laurel says:

I’ve been thinking that the aunt had “something” to do with Rosie’s death too.
    She may not of been the actual killer but she was in on it.
    It always seems to be someone close to home…

11. Joanie 22 says:

I always thought there were 2 people involved, as someone would have needed a ride to get out of that park.
    How was Rosie introduced to the casino? I am thinking it is another woman, as let’s face it, women need someone to talk to and the Auntie would be perfect. I don’t see Sterling as filling the bill. I read somewhere that the killer is someone we have grown to love. The only guy I really love is Holder. However, I loved him from day one. This is a wonderful show and AMC is to be congratulated. Hope it gets renewed for next year.

12. nitemar says:

Everyone in that family is totally weird in my book, and mom and auntie are not an exception..mom knew her daughter was away that week-end and never cared to inquire where the heck she was or to contact her! I think Rosie knew something and went for for clues and found death.

13. FHL says:

There were some furtive glances by the sister when the old Mob connections were present. Made her look very suspicious. I don’t think she did it, but I do think she knows something important.

14. Benjamin says:

Ever since the scene of the sister crying in the room after the wake and her weird exchange with that politician, I have been suspicious that she knew something.

15. ragincajun says:

For some reason, I’ve always gotten a weird vibe from Jamie Wright, the little blonde dude on the campaign staff. You can’t trust a Mormon who can’t hold his liquor. LOL!!!

16. Patti says:

I know it’s different than the original but who was the killer in that version.

• AJ says:

I dunno if it’s fair to say and ruin people’s theories. Although, the killer from the original is no longer a suspect in this version if that gives you a clue. He, yes he, was cleared in the last few eps.

17. Chuck says:

I’ve thought she was involved too–not because I’m any kind of sleuth, but because that’s a standard rule of TV and movie whodunits: the one who did it is usually the one where you can’t figure out why they’re even in the story most of the way. Why would Terry even be in the show, and why would Jamie Anne Allman be listed as part of the main cast, unless she finally becomes important in these last 2 episodes?

18. mdb says:

we were beginning to question the aunt a couple weeks back so it makes sense to me that she was either involved or at the very least knows something. I am wondering if she was having an affair with someone in the campaign and that is how she got access to the car…. show has gotten ridiculously slow but i will see it to the end to see who did it

19. Minxie says:

I’ve been suspicious of Terry, too. We still don’t know who Rosie’s rich boyfriend was (the one who bought her those shoes), and it’s possible it could be the father of that rich kid they interrogated at the beginning. When the father came to Rosie’s wake there was a really weird moment between him and Terry that hasn’t been explained yet, too. I think those two characters are involved with the murder.

• Snsetblaze says:

I am one who never suspected Rosie’s aunt as the killer herself but it does make sense that she might know something – but why would she stay silent? My idea is it is the father of the former rich boyfriend – the lawyer guy. Maybe she was a hooker at the casino and he was there.

20. Paul says:

OMFG!!! i just saw the episode i’m still in shock!!*SPOILER ALERT* i can’t believe richmond knew rosie more that we thought, if you know what i mean. i love this show because of the way they built the story in a slow way but when great revelations arrive they are even more shocking. i loveee the killing!!! *please excuse any errors I may have, English is my second language*

21. Tanner says:

The killing of Rosie is going to involve aunt Terry and Jaspers father and she endend up in the Richmond car b/c Jaspers dad is friends with the mayor

22. Magically Suspicious says:

I knew there was more to Aunt Terry, but I don’t think she’s the killer. She’s been too obvious as a mysterious character with secrets. I think it’s going to be someone that was never a real front-runner. I’ve also been saying Gwen, but I have no idea now. My only real thought for Gwen is that, due to last night’s revelations, she has double the reason to potentially need to eliminate a ‘problem’….her lover and her father.

23. David says:

Interesting theory.. and the story itself is all about it: theories. I can only tell you that I watched the original “Forbrydelsen” and it was great.. AMC did a great job.. and I can tell you that mu suspects were right from the very beginning. If they will do the same as the “original” you won’t be disappointed. I hope they will re-make the second season in the same way.

24. Idea guy says:

I think its Jamie – the councilman’s campaign guy… He has had access to the councilman’s email – remember they did a search of everyone’s email to look for a leak early on. I have a feeling that Jamie saw emails from the councilman as “Orpheus” and intercepted a meeting with Rosie to get the whole “escort” thing under wraps. It would have killed the campaign if that got out. (unless you are a congressman from NY!) Rosie freaked and ran – ended up in the trunk of a campaign car which Jamie certainly would have had.

This could also point towards the other assistant Gwen for the same reason.

Just a thought… LOVE THE SHOW