SVU No Longer Looking to Collar Love Hewitt

Looks like Law & Order: SVU just wasn’t feeling the Love.

Last month, word spread that the NBC procedural was looking to add Jennifer Love Hewitt as a semi-replacement for Mariska Hargitay when the series vet scales back her duties in the latter half of the season. But on Friday our sister site Deadline revealed that Hewitt is no longer in the show’s crosshairs.

However, that doesn’t mean SVU isn’t still keeping an eye out for another newbie. The search for someone to fill the Christopher Meloni void is in full effect, and there are even rumblings that producers are considering the addition of a second female detective to pair up with Hargitay’s Benson early on in Season 13.

Ice-T Staying Put on Law & Order: SVU for Two More Years

Now that Hewitt is out, are there any actresses you would like to see as SVU‘s new cop?

1. stephanie says:

Jennifer Beals would be a good addition/replacement. Even though it’s not going to be the same w/o mariska! :(

2. HT says:

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I CURSE CHRISTOPHER MELONI. I’M SO DEVASTAED </3. NOW I'LL NEVER SEE THE BENSON/STABLER DRUNKEN, REGRETFUL ONE NIGHT STAND. WHY?!?!?!?!!?!?

3. Amber says:

Thank goodness they’re not hiring Jennifer Love Hewitt’s boobs!!!! Personally I think there’s no rush to replace Meloni and Hargitay. Why don’t they just give more storylines to Ice-T and Richard Belzer for awhile? All the other L&Os did just fine with having only two cops for their entire series.

4. Blake says:

A female partner could be interesting. I’d love to see that actually.
    I vote for Annie Wersching from 24.

5. diane says:

Peta wilson!! She has not done much since La Femme Nikita went off the air back in 01. PLEASE GET HER!!!

6. Danielle H. says:

I guarantee this came about because Chris left and because of recent bad press for her being a terrible actress.

7. Maggie says:

Elizabeth Mitchell or Jennifer Beals!

• Dan says:

They couldn’t do Elizabeth Mitchell… she’s part of the Love problem. She guest starred in that HORRID (yet dramatically awesome) episode from last spring that is WAY to fresh in everyones minds. She wouldn’t be able to go from child rapist to police officer in one year, the viewers wouldn’t buy it.

• lois says:

for what it’s worth she didn’t actually rape/kill the kid. she was covering for someone else. but i completely agree — it’s way too soon to giver her a different character, especially a full time one.

• Lucy says:

And what, they wouldn’t have remembered Jennifer Love Hewitt playing a rape victim earlier last season? And since her guest appearance was a lot more publicized, it’s possible they’d remember her a lot more and would never have been able to buy her as a detective than someone like Liz Mitch who did amazing and yet no one seems to have noticed her guest appearance.

8. Alex says:

ANNIE WERSCHING ALL THE WAY!

9. Dani G says:

Man! This will take some serious thinking on my part as to who I would like to see with Benson. Totally tee’d off about Chris leaving, I’m a total E/O shipper!!! And while I completely understand that Mariska is scaling back, it breaks my heart!! I’m selfish in wanting her to stay, the show won’t be the same now! As of right now I cannot think of anyone- male or female- that I want working with Benson. First I thought- Julianna Marguiles- because I just love her. But she has her own show already. And then I thought, Jill Hennessy, because she’s good in drama roles. But she already did the original L&O so it would be odd to see her on SVU. Crap. I’m stumped.

10. Wersching would be brilliant… Also the Marcia Gay Hardin character that was on could somehow segue to SVU; she was a real risk taker… Didn’t like Hewitt for the part so I’m glad they tabled the idea. But I still say JASON CLARKE and his entire CHICAGO CODE Wisocky role (including ex-wife and son) should just move right into SVU. He’s terrific and it was a great storyline.

11. maiv says:

How about just promoting Ice T and Richard Belzer? These two are freaking awesome together. I’m all for feminism and having one female lead, but you just can’t beat their chemistry

12. Alice says:

Annie Wersching absolutely!!

13. kim in dallas says:

How about that Cory guy from L&O:LA?

14. matt logan says:

Annie Wersching redhead went toe to toe with the great Kiefer Sutherland in 2 seasons of 24

If this show needs and wants a tough sympathetic but strong kick ass and get in your’e face she can do it 1000% .

Shame, Annie Wersching, is such a great young actress is not a regular on any current TV show.

She has the greatness, to go form almost crying to get the middle of fire fight and kill the bad guy all in one scene.

Jennifer cab go do movies she is great talent attractive good at drama and needs to a movie that isn’t horror supernatural , She has a good funny side

15. Beth says:

What about Wentworth Miller?? He played a cop on there last year and had great chemistry with Benson. Maybe I just want to see him back on tv, but he would be my choice.

16. J says:

Bring back Alex Cabot!

17. Nita says:

Kelli Giddish from Chase might be a pretty good choice too. Since the show was cancelled, she is available!

18. Dan says:

Sad that the article about Love being the ‘worst reviewed actress since 1985′ was probably the nail in the coffin about this decision.

19. Ryan says:

Lisa Edelstein FTW! Who’s with me? Or maybe as a replacement for Hargitay’s replacement…

20. Jennifer says:

Marcia Gay Harden- the only replacement a lot of people would accept! She can give Liv a run for her money!

21. JohnDoe says:

Hopefully they don’t turn this show into another feminist statement. Hargitay’s character is enough, you gotta have the tough guy character, otherwise, just shut it down.

22. Animaltalker says:

I’m with Ryan, Lisa Edelstein is the best choice for a replacement for Mariska Hargitay! Of course I’d love to see more Richard Belzer or maybe they could let his character retire and have a new show a comedy as a Private Investigator.

23. Cate says:

best news I’ve heard all week.

24. Eliz says:

Thank god. I do not like Hewitt. Although there is little to no chance of me watching the series at all after the midseason. No one likes SVU for the plots (Sorry, but if you do there’s something wrong with you). This was magic casting plain and simple… Sad to see it die without a proper send off though…

25. Dana says:

I’m also thrilled that they aren’t looking for Hewitt to come on the show…but, I’m still SO DISAPPOINTED about Chris Meloni…it will just not be the same.

• Sassbo says:

Actually I don’t much care who they get in either part – I love Fin and Munch, but I REALLY loved Meloni as Stabler. For me SVU was appointment TV, but no more..I’ll watch it if I remember to – not going to make it a ritual. What I will do is follow Meloni wherever his career takes him and hope for the best. He’s got so much talent he won’t be at loose ends long. Dollars to doughnuts he has another starring gig by fall. If not, it’ll be because he wants movies, producing, directing or even the stage.

One thing I wonder about … why don’t TPTB sign on the players for the fall season BEFORE the final episode. That way they would know whose in and whose out and they could make the finale fit the show. They’ve just left us all hanging and themselves too since it seems they expected CM to sign for season 12 and he didn’t. Now they’re left with egg on their faces with Meloni and possibly with Hargitay as well. Stupid?

26. Hilla says:

Annie Wersching !! She is a perfect match for this role!

27. ck says:

*chants* Annie…Annie..Annie!!!

28. carol says:

Jennifer Beals would be great. I also like Michelle Forbes

29. Edward says:

I think they should have Jeremy Irons as the lead psychologist. I also think that Robert Patrick would be a fantastic replacement for Stabler. I know he played a paroled criminal way back, but remember so did Diane Neal, now she plays\played a district attorney. So I believe Robert Patrick would be brilliant. Also, maybe Wentworth Miller can be back on the SVU. I mean he was cleared and could transfer. I think he would be brilliant. He is a tough one that does not mess around. Also, they could use Dominic Purcell or Alfred Molina for Stabler’s replacement. As for Benson, in my opinion I will have to thibk about.

• Esaul says:

Irons is already casted and contracted in another show. And B.D. Wong is still the psychiatrist as of now, despite him being in another show. He can easily be in SVU still, since it’s on the same network.

30. Géraldine says:

Jennifer Beals would be perfect choice for the female role. To take Meloni’s place, why not David James Elliott?
    I don’t think SVU can run longuer tan 1 or 2 season(s) so, no need to have some “young” lead actors after Hargitay’s leaving.

• Maggie says:

DJE has full time role a new show, Good Christian Belles on ABC. He plays Kristin Chenowith’s husband.

31. Jess says:

Matthew Fox would be great…although he’d probably never do it.

• Lucy says:

Didn’t you hear? He made it pretty clear he is above television now after Lost and will strictly do movies. It’s another David Caruso in the making.

• so what says:

Didn’t you hear? It is human nature for people to to say what they feel and truly believe at the time but circumstances and having more time to think things through tends to factor in on people altering their stances.

• Lucy says:

Well hello, I was just commenting. I wasn’t intending to be rude, just making a point, but you clearly were intending to be rude.

• Suzanne says:

He’d definitely not do it. He made clear at the end of Lost that he’s pretty tired of doing episodic tv.

• Jess says:

Well clearly none of you read the part that says “although he’d probably never do it.” Jesus people. Lighten up. I said he’d be great, not that he’d take it.

32. stefanie says:

I don´t want any newbie. I want MELONI back! right now!

33. stefanie says:

I don´t want any newbie. I want MELONI back! right now!!

34. Edward says:

Maybe for Benson they could have have Kelly Lynch, Gina Philips, Demi Moore, Tori Spelling, or the like. I think that Kevin Bacon would also be a great replacement for Stabler. Now he would give the show a boosted ratings.

35. J. Norman says:

I don’t watch SVU, but I didn’t think that JLH would have been a good fit on this type of show. I like her in some things, but I don’t think she would work at all in a gritty crime procedural.

36. Big Mariska Fan says:

So relieved to see that JLH won’t be the new addition, I was highly aggravated when I read awhile back they were even considering it, because they dont need to put a past rape vic in as a lead detective, I would love to see Marcia Gay Harden on SVU again, however in reality not many FBI agents demote to a squad detective. Would love to see them bring Alex Cabot or Casey Novak back.

37. SingingMoebeast says:

Dina Meyer would be another terrific choice IMHO.

38. Aurore says:

Great news!

39. Jessica says:

I think Dana Delany, or someone who can portray someone tough, strong and powerful (like Mariska does for Olivia).

Jennifer Love Hewitt number one, is too soft and wispy to be a detective. She was phenominal in Ghost Whisperer, but SVU? N-O. NO.
    and number two, she already guest starred on the show.

• Lambsilencer says:

And in that guest spot, she was absolutely phenomenal, too. She made it nearly physically hurt to watch her go through the rape examination.

Give her the right role, and she is truly great. But I don’t see her as a police detective. She’s nowhere near the type for it.

• Det. Law & ADA Order says:

I think she sould’ve at least have been given a chance. Jeff Goldblum was kind of out of place on Criminal Intent. He was just suppose to be a lighter side of GOren who became a darker characrter, i mean can you imagine hims saying, “Police FREEZE!” Maybe, “ah, ah, ah You, there, Stop, THis is the, uh Police.” But that didn’t stop him from replacing Goren in season 9 and being on the show for 2 years. I’d just think she should’ve been given a “Nina Cassidy” at least. Put her on a year and then take her off to the fan’s displeasure. (Although Mila Govich was ok. Hey maybe they shuld’ve gotten her.)

40. I stick to my guns here: Jason Dohring (formerly of VERONICA MARS) as a new male detective, Parminder Nagra (formerly of ER) as a new female detective, but for the love of all that’s holy, spread the material out — give Belzer, Ice-T, Florek, Tunie something to do — and hire Daryl “Chill” Mitchell as a new, regular, prosecutor who’s actually in consecutive episodes.

41. andrea says:

I vote for Annie Wersching she would be amazing in the series

42. kristine says:

call up anthony anderson from the original L&O. what’s he up to? I do like the idea of Annie Wersching though. She was great as Renee in the first season she was on 24. The writing in her second season made me hate Renee, but she was excellent.

43. Karen says:

HELLO!!!! HOLLY HUNTER!! Did any one see Saving Grace?

44. Templar says:

Victor Webster or Warren Christie.

45. Addison says:

I’m so out of the loop when it comes to SVU these days. I don’t even think I managed to finish all of the most recent season which I need to catch up on.

There have been a few shows out there that have worked alright with the dynamic of more than one female role. I thought Numb3rs did an interesting job with switching between which women were more focused on each episode.

Jennifer Beals would indeed be an interesting choice as well as Annie Wersching. For some reason, I can strangely see Kathryn Morris from Cold Case being an intriguing interim partner for Benson before they would make a decision on who they’d prefer as the permanent role before Mariska takes her step back out of the spotlight. Overall it will be interesting to see how they play this out and how long the show can stay afloat without Meloni being around.

46. Angela says:

Bring back Jeremy Sisto, Jesse L. Martin, or even Bebe Neuwirth and Amy Carlson from Law and Order Trial by Jury. They had some male stars on their two – Kirk Acevedo comes to mind but I can’t think of the other at the moment. I loved Trial by Jury – never understood why that one didn’t last longer. The DVDs were great

• Det. Law & ADA Order says:

MAybe with Kirk Acevedo’s character it would seem like a promotion or something since it would seem like he’s going back to NYPD from the DA’s office. But Green’s out and from everything I’ve seen and read about police proceduals, sex crimes is definatley a unit that cops wouldn’t want to stick to for too long so as much as there are many people i wanted to see it only makes sense that no one from HOmicide or MGS go back down to SVU. ANd the reason TBJ never lasted was because of two reasons. The Jerry O’s death (RIP) and the show Numbers. I guess people were more interested in mathematicians in helping the FBI solve cases instead of a Law & Order spinoff (and the only one) to focus on the trial aspect. It’s too bad, i would’ve liked to have seen it.

47. Angela says:

oh for heaven’s sakes LINUS ROACHE!! get him please!!! :):)

48. Angela says:

and I still would love love love to see Andrew McCarthy here.

49. Angela says:

if CI truly is on the last season then transfer Detective Goren

50. Monique says:

I vote Jennifer Beals. She was incredible on Chicago Code.