Ice-T Staying Put on Law & Order: SVU, Inks New Two-Year Contract

Get More: Contract Talks, News, Scoop

Law & Order: SVU fans still reeling from the unexpected departure of leading man Chris Meloni, I’ve got some scoop that may — I repeat may — cushion the blow: Longtime sidekick Ice-T will be back.

The rapper-turned-actor announced the news on Twitter Friday morning. “I’ve just locked in my new SVU deal,” he wrote. “So I’ll officially be back for the next 2 years at least. DONE.”

Responding to questions from his followers regarding rumored cast addition Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ice-T added, “At this moment no one else is locked as new members of the show.”

So, was the Meloni blow cushioned somewhat by this news? Yes? Hardly? Weigh in below!

Comments (38)

• Well this is good news, to say the least. I hope Richard Belzer and Dann Florek are still in too.

Comment by Esaul – June 10, 2011 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Law & Order has been an addiction for me for so long that I can not remember when it was not, but with one exception. I never liked “Criminal Intent”. I watched “Criminal Intent” when there was nothing else on, but I found that even as I watched it, I could never tell anyone what had just happened a couplee of scenes back.

The attraction for me was that “Law & Order” was part of the show’s name. The distraction or the thing that turned me off about the show the principle’s ability to just know, psychically, who done it. This is important to me because the storylines of all the other Law & Order shows depict reality in varying degrees. I ask you now, how real it that there is a detective who who has the ability to ALWAYS know who done it, and why they done it, simply by going into some sort of psychological state of mind. It appears to me that “Criminal Intent” is just another version of Robo Cop without the Robo.

“Criminal Intent” is a much, much, much better show when Chris Noth is the principle. Chris puts the cop, the fallible human being, the person who is sometimes good at what he does, sometimes not so good back into the show.

Now that I am thinking critically about the Law & Order series, for me, they all rate higher than “Criminal Intent”, even Law & Order LA and Law & Order UK – there is now a psychic among them – just regular cops trying to solve crimes the old fashion ways – using empirical data, hunchs, footwork, and trial and error.

Comment by Darwin – July 19, 2011 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Staying put? Like where else could he have gone?

Comment by smarty – June 10, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To a ton of other shows.He is a good actor with a lot of fans…Of course this wont make CM fans happy because…..wait for it….they are 2 different people….Good info.Stupid Question….

Comment by NickC – June 10, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe to his own spin-off. He is being buried as a supporting on that show. Bump him to title character.

Comment by JP – June 10, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know about the lead opposite olivia. I do think he deserves to be given a bigger role. He’s performed well enough on the show. The storyline with Ludacris a few year back showed his acting chops. I dunno, it could work…

Comment by bmo – June 10, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cushion the blow? Hardly! Chris Meloni’s departure is a huge hit to the show that can’t be made up for by Ice T.

But hey you can’t blame Chris for getting out. The show has been going down hill for a while ever since they started screwing around with the DA’s.

I miss the good old days of SVU, when it still had the ability to shock, inform and entertain.

Comment by Courtney – June 10, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love him..lol

Comment by jenna harris – June 10, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope BD will be back…

Comment by Alex – June 10, 2011 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! It would be super seeing more of B.D. Wong!

Comment by Suncatcher – June 11, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t cushion the blow but so glad to see Ice coming pack. I enjoy his character on the show. Christopher will be missed but I will give the new version a chance before I drop it from my weekly watch list.

Comment by casey – June 10, 2011 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hardly. I read the twitter post and just kind of moved on. Sad to say it just doesn’t matter too much at this point. There isn’t going to be a show in two years. It will be lucky if it limps through S13.

Comment by svuwasluv – June 10, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do love Ice-T and Finn! Is Richard Belzer still on the show? I will definitely miss Christopher Meloni but if I end up getting more Munch and Finn as a result? SCORE!

Comment by SusieJ – June 10, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hardly, while Ice-T is cool know one can ever replace the scary (if your a rapist then I want to kill you) vibe Meloni’s character gave off.

Comment by Nicole – June 10, 2011 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad he’s coming back, but doesn’t make up for Chris Meloni leaving. Do you happen to know Richard Belzer’s status? He’s not around nearly enough!

Comment by Bobbi – June 10, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ice T… but I love Chris Meloni more. I can’t believe he didnt come to a decision before the season finale. How can he leave us fans without a big Elliott finale. He needs to come back to put closure to his story – and I don’t mean die – but what’s going to happen in the first ep of next season, Olivia walks in and goes oh by the way everyone Stabler quit?

Comment by Erehn – June 10, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. After so many years and having to many loyal fans, it was a crappy way to go. I have no idea how they are going to explain it on the show. But they better bring in a big name to take his place if they want viewers to stick around, and if they want to maybe gain back the ones they lost over the last years.

Comment by caroline – June 10, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I love Finn! Now that the Benson & Stabler juggernaut is coming to a close, maybe the writers will put Finn in the forefront where he belongs! Yay! WTG Ice-T!

Comment by Yeah Yeah – June 10, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Replace” Meloni with Ice-T. No need to look for a “big name” they’ve got one!

Comment by Cougs – June 10, 2011 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with those who said that the show has gone down hill since they started changing DA’s every other episode. Need to see more of Munch connecting with Finn.

Comment by joanne – June 10, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just watched an older episode that was Finn and Munch-centric, and it was fantastic. I really hope the producers listen to the fans and bump them up into the forefront. Munch hasn’t even been in a ton of episodes in the last season, which worries me alot. Heck, even Cragen was missing from the finale. It doesn’t bode well. They also need to get and keep a D.A. It’s a huge component that’s missing from the show atm.

Comment by Danielle H. – June 10, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s cute that they think the show will stick around that long.

Comment by Erica – June 10, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, right?? This show will be lucky to last mid-season without Chris Meloni and with Mariska taking on a background role midseason. SVU: RIP

Comment by Kitty – June 10, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so glad that Ice is coming back Now that e/o ship has sunk(and That god for that) and the Elliot and Olivia show will be no more SVU can tap into Fin awesomeness a bit more. Olivia and Fin make a good team Hope they use it more.

Comment by Justliloldme – June 10, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm this show should focus on Richard Belzer and Ice T. Now that Christopher Meloni is out and Mariska is going to be recurring after the end of the year it is only fitting. You do not need to look for new people to fill in their shoes trust me adding new people into a show that has pretty much kept the same people for 12 years should keep it in the family. I stopped watching Law & Order CI mainly because they shifted back and forth detectives each week. Stick with Munch and Fin, these characters have a backstory that is worth exploring more.

Comment by Michael C – June 10, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Ice is staying! I would prefer they left the cast as is and didn’t replace CM. However long MH is there, they could have all three working together.

But Munch and Fin have got their own unbeatable chemistry (if you can call it that). They work great together, they play well off of each other and I would rather see more of them than new people!

Comment by Sara – June 10, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ice, but there is no replacement for Meloni. For me SVU=Elliot&Olivia. I don’t think the show will last as a hit series till S14. It might last, but it won’t be the hit it was till now.

Comment by lilyrose – June 10, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss Chris. When the show started he and Benson had equal time. As the seasons progressed they all revolved around Benson. That got old. I quit watching. I did start back up a year ago. I too, like Finn, Cragen, and Munch. I will say if this becomes the Benson show I will not watch. I was always saddened that Christopher Meloni was never nominated for an Emmy. He deserved it as much as Mariska.

Comment by Tcobb – June 10, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. This Guy could go back to making cop killer songs for all I care. The show wont be right w/o Stabler there to be Benson’s partner.

Comment by melisda – June 10, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who freaking cares? I will not be wathcing now Meloni is gone.

I can’t wait for SVU to come back in September with sub 2.0 18-49 ratings. Way to go NBC and Dick!!! Killing your number 1 drama.

Comment by Steve – June 10, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This has nothing to do with Dick Wolf.

Comment by Esaul – June 10, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least we have ice-T we are still going to miss meloni

Comment by Robert – June 10, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It won’t be the same show with out Chris. The only suggestions I might make would be Jimmy Smits or even Holly Hunter. Loved her in Saving Grace.

Comment by Karen – June 10, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find surprising they offered a 2 year contract when the show’s future is so uncertain.
    I like Finn but with Stabler gone and Benson on part time I doubt I will be watching.

Comment by Aurore – June 10, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It helps a little.

Comment by Amber – June 10, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very excited he’s back. I don’t like Meloni/Stabler so I could care less about him not being back. I’d love to see Fin and Benson as partners now. They have a great relationship and great chemistry, and Fin actually treats her as an equal as opposed to Stabler being a douchebag all the time. This is great news.

Comment by Nicole – June 10, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I deserve more RICHARD BELZER.

Comment by Kevin – June 12, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show went downhill after they booted Diane Neal-and never replaced her with a strong character, they ignore the law aspect of the show.

Comment by Cory – June 16, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post