Ice-T Staying Put on Law & Order: SVU, Inks New Two-Year Contract

Law & Order: SVU fans still reeling from the unexpected departure of leading man Chris Meloni, I’ve got some scoop that may — I repeat may — cushion the blow: Longtime sidekick Ice-T will be back.

The rapper-turned-actor announced the news on Twitter Friday morning. “I’ve just locked in my new SVU deal,” he wrote. “So I’ll officially be back for the next 2 years at least. DONE.”

Responding to questions from his followers regarding rumored cast addition Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ice-T added, “At this moment no one else is locked as new members of the show.”

So, was the Meloni blow cushioned somewhat by this news? Yes? Hardly? Weigh in below!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Contract Talks, News, Scoop

1. Esaul says:

Well this is good news, to say the least. I hope Richard Belzer and Dann Florek are still in too.

• Darwin says:

Law & Order has been an addiction for me for so long that I can not remember when it was not, but with one exception. I never liked “Criminal Intent”. I watched “Criminal Intent” when there was nothing else on, but I found that even as I watched it, I could never tell anyone what had just happened a couplee of scenes back.

The attraction for me was that “Law & Order” was part of the show’s name. The distraction or the thing that turned me off about the show the principle’s ability to just know, psychically, who done it. This is important to me because the storylines of all the other Law & Order shows depict reality in varying degrees. I ask you now, how real it that there is a detective who who has the ability to ALWAYS know who done it, and why they done it, simply by going into some sort of psychological state of mind. It appears to me that “Criminal Intent” is just another version of Robo Cop without the Robo.

“Criminal Intent” is a much, much, much better show when Chris Noth is the principle. Chris puts the cop, the fallible human being, the person who is sometimes good at what he does, sometimes not so good back into the show.

Now that I am thinking critically about the Law & Order series, for me, they all rate higher than “Criminal Intent”, even Law & Order LA and Law & Order UK – there is now a psychic among them – just regular cops trying to solve crimes the old fashion ways – using empirical data, hunchs, footwork, and trial and error.

2. smarty says:

Staying put? Like where else could he have gone?

• NickC says:

To a ton of other shows.He is a good actor with a lot of fans…Of course this wont make CM fans happy because…..wait for it….they are 2 different people….Good info.Stupid Question….

• JP says:

Maybe to his own spin-off. He is being buried as a supporting on that show. Bump him to title character.

• bmo says:

I don’t know about the lead opposite olivia. I do think he deserves to be given a bigger role. He’s performed well enough on the show. The storyline with Ludacris a few year back showed his acting chops. I dunno, it could work…

3. Courtney says:

Cushion the blow? Hardly! Chris Meloni’s departure is a huge hit to the show that can’t be made up for by Ice T.

But hey you can’t blame Chris for getting out. The show has been going down hill for a while ever since they started screwing around with the DA’s.

I miss the good old days of SVU, when it still had the ability to shock, inform and entertain.

4. jenna harris says:

i love him..lol

5. Alex says:

I just hope BD will be back…

6. casey says:

Doesn’t cushion the blow but so glad to see Ice coming pack. I enjoy his character on the show. Christopher will be missed but I will give the new version a chance before I drop it from my weekly watch list.

7. svuwasluv says:

Hardly. I read the twitter post and just kind of moved on. Sad to say it just doesn’t matter too much at this point. There isn’t going to be a show in two years. It will be lucky if it limps through S13.

8. SusieJ says:

I do love Ice-T and Finn! Is Richard Belzer still on the show? I will definitely miss Christopher Meloni but if I end up getting more Munch and Finn as a result? SCORE!

9. Nicole says:

Hardly, while Ice-T is cool know one can ever replace the scary (if your a rapist then I want to kill you) vibe Meloni’s character gave off.

10. Bobbi says:

Glad he’s coming back, but doesn’t make up for Chris Meloni leaving. Do you happen to know Richard Belzer’s status? He’s not around nearly enough!

11. Erehn says:

I love Ice T… but I love Chris Meloni more. I can’t believe he didnt come to a decision before the season finale. How can he leave us fans without a big Elliott finale. He needs to come back to put closure to his story – and I don’t mean die – but what’s going to happen in the first ep of next season, Olivia walks in and goes oh by the way everyone Stabler quit?

• caroline says:

Agree. After so many years and having to many loyal fans, it was a crappy way to go. I have no idea how they are going to explain it on the show. But they better bring in a big name to take his place if they want viewers to stick around, and if they want to maybe gain back the ones they lost over the last years.

12. Yeah Yeah says:

Yay! I love Finn! Now that the Benson & Stabler juggernaut is coming to a close, maybe the writers will put Finn in the forefront where he belongs! Yay! WTG Ice-T!

13. Cougs says:

“Replace” Meloni with Ice-T. No need to look for a “big name” they’ve got one!

14. joanne says:

I agree with those who said that the show has gone down hill since they started changing DA’s every other episode. Need to see more of Munch connecting with Finn.

15. Danielle H. says:

I just watched an older episode that was Finn and Munch-centric, and it was fantastic. I really hope the producers listen to the fans and bump them up into the forefront. Munch hasn’t even been in a ton of episodes in the last season, which worries me alot. Heck, even Cragen was missing from the finale. It doesn’t bode well. They also need to get and keep a D.A. It’s a huge component that’s missing from the show atm.

16. Erica says:

It’s cute that they think the show will stick around that long.

• Kitty says:

I know, right?? This show will be lucky to last mid-season without Chris Meloni and with Mariska taking on a background role midseason. SVU: RIP

17. Justliloldme says:

I am so glad that Ice is coming back Now that e/o ship has sunk(and That god for that) and the Elliot and Olivia show will be no more SVU can tap into Fin awesomeness a bit more. Olivia and Fin make a good team Hope they use it more.

18. Michael C says:

Ummm this show should focus on Richard Belzer and Ice T. Now that Christopher Meloni is out and Mariska is going to be recurring after the end of the year it is only fitting. You do not need to look for new people to fill in their shoes trust me adding new people into a show that has pretty much kept the same people for 12 years should keep it in the family. I stopped watching Law & Order CI mainly because they shifted back and forth detectives each week. Stick with Munch and Fin, these characters have a backstory that is worth exploring more.

19. Sara says:

Glad Ice is staying! I would prefer they left the cast as is and didn’t replace CM. However long MH is there, they could have all three working together.

But Munch and Fin have got their own unbeatable chemistry (if you can call it that). They work great together, they play well off of each other and I would rather see more of them than new people!

20. lilyrose says:

I love Ice, but there is no replacement for Meloni. For me SVU=Elliot&Olivia. I don’t think the show will last as a hit series till S14. It might last, but it won’t be the hit it was till now.

21. Tcobb says:

I will miss Chris. When the show started he and Benson had equal time. As the seasons progressed they all revolved around Benson. That got old. I quit watching. I did start back up a year ago. I too, like Finn, Cragen, and Munch. I will say if this becomes the Benson show I will not watch. I was always saddened that Christopher Meloni was never nominated for an Emmy. He deserved it as much as Mariska.

22. melisda says:

No. This Guy could go back to making cop killer songs for all I care. The show wont be right w/o Stabler there to be Benson’s partner.

23. Steve says:

Who freaking cares? I will not be wathcing now Meloni is gone.

I can’t wait for SVU to come back in September with sub 2.0 18-49 ratings. Way to go NBC and Dick!!! Killing your number 1 drama.

24. Robert says:

At least we have ice-T we are still going to miss meloni

25. Karen says:

It won’t be the same show with out Chris. The only suggestions I might make would be Jimmy Smits or even Holly Hunter. Loved her in Saving Grace.

26. Aurore says:

I find surprising they offered a 2 year contract when the show’s future is so uncertain.
    I like Finn but with Stabler gone and Benson on part time I doubt I will be watching.

27. Amber says:

It helps a little.

28. Nicole says:

I’m very excited he’s back. I don’t like Meloni/Stabler so I could care less about him not being back. I’d love to see Fin and Benson as partners now. They have a great relationship and great chemistry, and Fin actually treats her as an equal as opposed to Stabler being a douchebag all the time. This is great news.

29. Kevin says:

I deserve more RICHARD BELZER.

30. Cory says:

This show went downhill after they booted Diane Neal-and never replaced her with a strong character, they ignore the law aspect of the show.