Emmys

Emmys 2011: TVLine Previews the Lead Drama Actor Race — Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

Since Breaking Bad didn’t air during this year’s Emmy eligibility period, its star — three-time Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series winner Bryan Cranston — isn’t able to vye for a fourth consecutive statuette. In other words, the field is wide open for someone like the oft-nominated Hugh Laurie of House or Jon Hamm of Mad Men, or a sleeper like Kyle Chandler of Friday Night Lights, or an old favorite like Tom Selleck (now of Blue Bloods), to grab the gold. Who will it be? Let’s take a look at the most likely — and a few less likely — suspects.

More Emmy Races In Review: Lead Drama ActressOutstanding Drama Series | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Outstanding Comedy Series | Outstanding Reality-Competition Program

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then vote below for who you think are the six best. And check back Monday for our preview of the Supporting Drama Actress race!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Dream Emmy Nominees, Emmys

1. cc says:

Nathan Fillion all the way! Then man is SO underated. Have you SEEN season 3 of Castle?

• Kirstin says:

Can I just go on record that seeing Nathan leading this made my Friday? He is BEYOND underrated.

• Kelly says:

I like Nathan Fillion as well but how is David Boreanaz not on this list – he is brilliant!

• Rula says:

‘Cause the show sucked majorly this year. If season 2 and 3 didn’t garner critical attention, there’s no way any critic takes the show seriously now.
        And unpopular opinion- but DB’s goofy smile in the last scene really killed the last glimmer of chemistry and drama for BB. But mostly, I blame the writing.

• heyjude says:

So, D. Boreanaz does not deserve it “cause the show sucked majorly this year”
          but… E. Deschanel deserve it “cause the show sucked majorly this year” ????
          Isn’t she part of the same show that sucked????

• Samantha says:

I agree! I love watching David on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. HOT!!!!!!

• lisa says:

I totally desagree on you!! HUGH LAURIE IS THE BEST!!!!!

• Luisa says:

HUGH LAURIE still is the best actor drama on tv. In my country – Argentina – we love his performance as Dr. House!

HUGH LAURIE !!!!!!!!

• Claudia says:

I totally desagree on you, cc!! HUGH LAURIE IS THE BEST!!!!!His performance in House md. is fantastic! He is better than all the others!!! I’m sorry, but my english is not good. I’m brazilian fan!!!

2. CASTLE says:

^^ LIKE
    A THOUSAND TIMES LIKE

• Taylor says:

Like and LOVE for Justified this year. Also LOVE for Jon Hamm, esp for The Suitcase. “That’s what the MONEY’s for.” Both shows are really worth waiting for the payoff in plots and character growths.

Also, this is a fun list because it gives credit to some of the funny, lighthearted, but stellar shows like Castle and The Mentalist. Too bad Bones decided to sink so low this year. I would have said they belong on the overlooked list in earlier seasons.

3. Laura says:

Jensen Ackles. Why he has never been nominated is beyond me.

• V says:

He should have been nominated in the first couple of seasons but now Dean has lost his mojo.

• Dee says:

I disagree. I find Jensen Ackles always brings his A-game. I vote for him because he certainly deserves the nod for all that he’s given to Supernatural, be it this last year or the preceding ones.

• raelee514 says:

I find it just the opposite, I think every year he brings another layer to Dean that wasn’t there, adding onto Dean the year he went through prior bring more nuance and subtlety and taking what the writer’s throw him and making the character that much more Dean.

• Hollowdoll says:

Exactly! I couldn’t have said it better myself!

• Samantha says:

I totally agree. Dean became my favorite Winchester boy long ago due primarily to the amazing acting brought to the character by Jensen Ackles. If only shows like Supernatural gained Emmy support…

• Nics says:

Lost his mojo?? Have you been watching SPN?? He gets better all the time!!!

• Asia says:

ITA. Jensen should be nominated for his brilliant work every year.

• Melody says:

He totally deserves a nom. It rare that I can be so emotionally tugged at by any show, but there are some scenes of his that I have seen several times and still bring on the tears. Combine that with his outstanding wit and I’m sold. Heck, this season boasted some of his best work: Frontierland, Exile on Main St., Clap Your Hands if You Believe, Appointment in Samarra, and Like a Virgin.

• MJ says:

It’s impossible he’ll get nominated since he (or the CW or whoever) didn’t even submit his name for consideration. He’s not on the Emmy nominations ballot http://www.emmys.tv/sites/emmys.tv/files/performer2011.pdf
      (don’t now how to make it clicky, sorry)
      I guess they now the emmys don’t give a crap about sci-fi/fantasy shows so they figure why bother? Plus the CW would have to make an enormous campaign for the voters to even know Supernatural exists. Altoguh Paul Wesley is on the ballot and I don’t think he’s that much more deserving than Jensen Ackles.
      Unfortunately the emmys aren’t just about talent.

• Corinne says:

Thanks for the link, I’ve been curious as to what all was being submitted for consideration. I think its bizarre that CW only submitted Vampire Diaries to the Emmy’s. Considering Supernatural and Smallville are equal if not greater in quality.

• Captain says:

I would say that TVD was submitted because that’s the CW that receives the most critical praise. If you’re not a critical fave, you have no chance at the Emmys.

• Missy says:

The CW submitted Gossip Girl as well… If I’m not mistaken, I think they submitted the finale episode of The Vampires Diaries while they submitted “Belle de Jour”, “Double Identity”, and “The Wrong Goodbye” episodes for Gossip Girl….

• Captain says:

I’m pretty sure its not the CW that submits actors for the Emmys but the actors/agents themselves. Katherine Heigl got in a lot of trouble a few years ago for not submitting herself for an Emmy. If it was networks that submitted actors, all of that hate was completely misguided.

• Erin says:

I believe ABC submitted Katherine for an Emmy and she (vocally) withdrew her name, stating that the writers did not give her Emmy-worthy material to work with during the preceding season.

• Melody says:

Shane West was submitted? Paul Wesley was submitted? And not Jensen? That is the most ridiculous thing ever. Don’t get me wrong, loved both Paul and Shane on their respective shows, but I’m sorry, their performances pale compared to Jensen. What the hell CW?!?!?!?

• Hetal says:

actually its the actors and their agents submit themselves for the ballot not the network . Jared and Jensen never give their names for Emmys

• sashay says:

Guess they just don’t have the egos for that, because they certainly have the talent.

• Chris says:

I Hear Ya! Maybe they should open their eyes once in a while and recognize other people too. JENSEN ACKLES!

4. bc22 says:

Timothy Olyphant! It will be a shame if he is overlooked once again. Superb acting on Justified.

• Trista Jamail says:

Couldn’t agree more! The writing, the acting…Justified is close to perfection!

• Chatty says:

Yes! The man shines in a cast of first-rate actors. He smolders on the screen. If you have never watched Justified, you are missing out big time!

• kyrjar says:

No one that has ever seen Justified could deny that Olyphant is a massively great actor. For me, he should win.

• VJB says:

“smolders” is way too mild a word for Olyphantastic…Since catching Raylan Givens on Justified, I’ve seen/collected Tim’s movies and must say that he is, besides being the hottest hunk out there, he is certainly an extremely versatile actor. If I had to choose between Tim and Raylan, Raylan would be my choice, hands down! I’ll be eagerly anticipating the Emmys in September, even if it’s just to catch a glimpse of TO. Has anyone noticed how different Tim and Raylan are, appearance wise?

5. Maria says:

NATHAN FILLION <3

6. BabyGoz says:

Come on, it’s about time Hugh Laurie got one! The man is fantastic.

• Sam says:

Um, yeah… it’s not going to happen. He probably won’t even be nominated this year let alone win. His time has passed and there are MANY other more deserving actors; Kyle Chandler for one. He should be nominated (and win) for his stellar work on FNL; Hugh has another year (or more according to DS) to be “fantastic.”

• Visitkarte says:

Hugh Laurie is the best drama actor on TV these days, but I’m afraid he’ll hardly get his overdue EMMY. They didn’t get him before, why should they start getting him now? They would rather give it to some cable show over-the-top actor who might never success abroad.

• Susan says:

What’s so special about an Emmy. He’s won People’s Choice, SAG, Golden Globes, Satellite, Teen Choice and Television Critics Assoc.

Love Hugh Laurie, but he doesn’t need an Emmy.

• Rose says:

Hugh Laurie is still is giving amazing performances every week, despite the uneven writing. The main thing he has against him is the backlash against the horrible season finale. The
      Emmys need to finally give Laurie the award he so richly deserves.

• Sydney says:

^
        This. The writing may be completely horrific on the show, but Hugh’s acting is what keeps a lot of people watching. The man is the best drama actor on television.

• S says:

Why Hugh Laurie hasn’t received an Emmy yet is beyond my understanding, they are probably too busy giving awards to cute&young newcomers!

• Celia says:

I totally agree on you, Rose. I’m from Brazil and here we think as you. Hugh Laurie is the best drama actor on TV these days. We hope he win, because his performance is very good. I love Hugh Laurie!!!

7. V says:

Kyle Chandler
    Charlie Hunnam
    Andrew Lincoln
    Donal Logue
    and most importantly Timothy Olyphant!! Have you seen him play Raylen?!

• Amy B says:

Kyle and Timothy all the way! Friday Night Lights and Justified are two of the most well written, and well acted shows. Since it’s FNLs last year, I am hoping for some love for them, but Justified is near perfect in everything it does.

• Alex says:

Agree 100%. I’ve enjoyed many other shows this past year – Fringe, Vampire Diaries, The Walking Dead – but easily THE BEST ACTED AND WRITTEN series were FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and JUSTIFIED.
        Some truly incredible work on these two very different series and I’m just sad that I will only have the pleasure of seeing one of them return next season…

8. Connie says:

Jensen Ackles. He’s been doing work that is as good as any of the others for years now.

9. Kyle says:

Come on, Ausiello, if you have people like Simon Baker and Nathan Fillion on there, shouldn’t Supernatural’s Jensen Ackles be there too? This season might not have been the show’s best but Ackles is always stellar, and lifts the material.

• Ariella says:

Also missing are Thomas Gibson, Shawn Hatosy and Mark Harmon; I mean, c’mon, if Nathon Fillion and Simon Baker are included…

• Asia says:

Agree on Shawn too.

• Joshua says:

Totally agree on Mark Harmon.

• MCO says:

I agree on Mark Harmon and Thomas Gibson. But I am in love with Nathan Fillion…(But not sure it has something to do with his acting, even if he’s great) :)

• Ashley says:

I agree on Mark Harmon and Thomas Gibson. I’d also be over the moon if Nathan Fillion got a nomination!

• maz12368@yahoo.com says:

I think maybe Shawn Hatosy isn’t on here because he’ll be in the Supporting Actor category? Or at least I hope so.

• H50Fan says:

And Alex O’Loughin of Hawaii Five-0. He was AMAZING in the 1st Season Finale.

I know he’s not on the primary ballot for the Emmys, but I believe he was omitted from Ausiello’s list SOLELY because Ausiello has NEVER seemed to have much love for the show.

He either never writes about it or he snarks it, or makes it the possible subject of negative Blind Items when he does mention it (Remember the “Which show is moving from it’s non-Hollywood/NY location setting?” Blind Item earlier this season?? That was probably a stab at H50–which IS NOT moving its shooting location from Hawaii, BTW).

• Wow says:

A’O is s lot of things but ‘good’ actor is not one of them.

• flounder says:

I would never call Alex O an amazing actor. And Ausiello did not make this list. These are actual names on the best drama actor ballot.

• Sean says:

C’mon Alex O has been the WEAK LINK of H50! With a stronger lead actor, paired with the amazing Scott Caan, this show would have the ratings of a NCIS. CBS has not learned its lesson, they think Alex’s HOT looks alone will make the show successful. WRONG AGAIN CBS!

• Deb says:

What a joke, Alex O.Loughlin for an Emmy!! LMAO. He cannot act his way out of a wet paper bag.CBS messed big time. They killed H50 with him there. A good actor next to Scott and they would had turned H50 in the next best show. Taking off his shirt is his only talent.

• Mary says:

Scott Caan is overrated and not particularly good looking. Sorry, he shouldn’t be nominated at all. Doesn’t have his dads talent. Oh, and Alex is a good actor, especially next to Caan.

• Amanda says:

I agree 100%

10. Claire says:

Kyle Chandler. Kyle Chandler. Kyle Chandler!!! I’d love to see him nominated again and, as unlikely as it sadly may be, win. He and Connie both really deserve it.

11. Sourabh says:

Simon Baker, Kyle Chandler, Nathan Fillion, Michael C. Hall, Hugh Laurie, Timothy Olyphant.

12. Matt says:

I second Timothy Olyphant. He was snubbed last year and this years season/performance somehow topped last years perfect role.

13. Clare says:

Jensen Ackles deserves some credit for his work on Supernatural and I’d rate him alongside most if not all of these actors.

14. Justin says:

William H. Macy over Steve Buscemi and Michael C. Hall? That’s just crazy talk. Just because William is newer doesn’t mean he’s better. That show isn’t even a drama, and he’s not even a lead in most episodes. I can’t imagine it’s all that difficult playing someone who just lays facedown on the ground all day. Hamm, Hall, Buscemi, Chandler, Leary and Olyphant for me. Macy is totally not deserving of a nominee here.

• Ceecile says:

I think you’re talking about another show and another actor.
      William H. Macy “new”?
      Shameless isn’t a drama?
      Just lays facedown on the ground all day?
      Macy not deserving?

• Renee says:

Hahaha, my thoughts exactly. Who in their right mind thinks Mr. Macy is not deserving of a nod. He could lay drunk all freaking episode and still be absolutely worthy of a nomination. That man can do no wrong. While his character tends to be pretty funny(and can annoy the general audience), there is an underlying sadness in his portrayal of Frank. You can’t deny the actor is doing an absolutely amazing job. Playing a drunk can be so tricky. His portrayal can easily be over the top and not believable at all but everything about Macy’s performance is so spot on and realistic.

Also, Shameless NOT a drama? You are not watching the same show that I am.

WILLIAM H. MACY FOR ALL THE AWARDS!

• Justin says:

No I’m not referring to another show or another actor. I’m not saying he’s new as an actor, but that role is new. And often times people go with newer roles as opposed to older ones that sometimes feel a little stale, even though they’re still better performances. And yes that is correct, Shameless really isn’t a drama. It’s definitely much more of a comedy, a stupid one at that. And yes again, all that character does is lay around and get drunk. The show is a mockery. I think Macy is a great actor, but that role is one-note and very undeserving. I think to put him in the Lead category is ridiculous as well, as he’s often not even in half of the show sometimes. Whereas Buscemi and Michael C. Hall are much more prominent, and deserving. When you place Macy next to Hamm, Olyphant, Chandler and the two I just mentioned, he’s almost a joke.

15. Kristen says:

Personally, my vote would go to Tim Roth for Lie To Me, but I’ll go for Nathan, Hugh, and Andrew.

16. Paige says:

Nathan Fillion from Castle! Yes!

17. Amy says:

Micheal C. Hall and Timothy Olyphant are my favourites.

Too bad that Breaking Bad can’t be included, but at least it gives other actors a chance this year :)

18. Steve says:

James Badge Dale… Rubicon

19. Ramona says:

JENSEN ACKLES!! Come on people, he is one of the best!!

20. Susie says:

Hugh Laurie! It’s time after so many nominations!
    ‘House’ has lost quality this season, but I think he is the main reason people still watch the show… for example the scene in the bathroom (7×20 After Hours) was outstanding!
    And if ‘House’ ends without any award for Laurie… I don’t know what the Emmy people are f-ing doing.

21. KMG says:

Where’s John Noble? He’s had an amazing season on Fringe this year!

22. Clint says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Hugh Laurie should get this one so bad!

23. G says:

Um, Mark Harmon? Ya know, that frighteningly amazing lead actor from the number one drama show, NCIS?

It’s a crime that he never gets nominated. Even worse is that the number two of the show, the just as amazing Michael Weatherly, hasn’t even been mentioned for consideration by TPTB. Anyone who has watched NCIS this season will have to admit that both actors have delivered some of their all-time best acting. They deserve some recognition for that!

24. Michelle says:

What the eff is this “turned viewers off” crap for Game of Thrones?! The ratings are going UP, people. And Sean Bean is fantastic on it. It’s not easy to make an honorable guy like Ned Stark compelling, but Sean Bean has done it. SEAN BEAN FTW!

• MJ says:

I know, right? and if emmy voters are “turned off” because the show is densely ploted than they are definitely idiots. Game of Thrones is one of the best shows on tv right now and it should be recognize. But considering the close mind emmys have towards genre shows I wouldn’t be surprise if they get completely snub.

• Nancy Cozzi says:

I totally agree. Sean Bean not only should be nominated but he should be making a speech at the Emmys in the Fall! He was beyond awesome in Game of Thrones and I don’t think there is an actor on the list that tops him this season. Jon Hamm comes awfully close though. If the Emmys had them both share the award, I’d be cool with that too.

25. jax1341 says:

So many deserving performances- it’s hard to even narrow the field to 6. In my heart of hearts I would LOVE to see Kyle Chandler win. There was never a false note in his performance of husband, father or coach. He could say so much with just a look and his chemistry with Connie Britton made them the most honest couple on T.V I have slim hope that FNL will get the recognition it deserves but they left it all out on the field and that’s all we can ask for. Clear Eyes Full Hearts-Can’t Lose!

• Amy B. says:

I completely agree. I am hoping for FNL love across the board, but a win for Kyle and Connie and the show would be beyond amazing. I also think Michael B. Jordan, Jurnee Smollett, and Madison Burges deserve recognition for their roles.

26. Crimson Myst says:

I completely agree with the other suggestions of Jensen Ackles but doubt it will ever happen since the show is on CW and the genre is also sic-fi.

27. Steph says:

I’d like to see William H. Macy and Sean Bean score some nominations. Nathan Fillion, too… Castle is more of a guilty pleasure but it would be nice for him to be recognized.

28. Ceecile says:

William H. Macy, Sean Bean, Jeremy Irons, Peter Krause, Nathan Fillion, Simon Baker.

William H. Macy for the win.

29. OK says:

I don’t know what it is but these choices seem super boring to me…

30. Mafalda says:

As much as I love Nathan Fillion and Castle, that role is definitely not emmy worthy and the some goes to Jensen Ackles on Supernatural.
    From the shows I watch William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi, Michael C. Hall and Jon Hamm should get a nomination, alongside Hugh Laurie although i won’t be surprised if he doesn’t, seeing that the golden House years are gone…

That said, from the buzz I bet on Kyle Chandler and Timothy Oliphant for the remaining spots (:

• Lisa says:

While it may not be The Wire, don’t underestimate how much talent it takes for Nathan Fillion to do that balance of comedy and drama. Is it Emmy maybe not, but it takes a talent very few of the nominees possess.

That being said from the tvline list, I chose NF, KC, TO, M, and AL from Walking Dead.

31. Rachel says:

Bill Paxton was amazing this past season, but I’d rather give the statuette to Jeanne Tripplehorn (or the show as a whole), Bill was kind of obnoxious. I hope this one goes to Nathan Fillion or Matt Bomer.

32. Alicia says:

What?! No Shawn Hatosy from Southland???
    That man is superb; his performance after Nate was murdered devastated everyone I know who watched it. Hell, Michael Cudlitz and Ben McKenzie deserve recognition as well–they’re ALL amazing.

• NorthLand says:

Southland was canceled in it’s first season, so why would it deserve anything.

• Alicia says:

Uh, because it was picked up by TNT and has had 2 subsequent seasons; get your facts straight.
        Moreover, along with Justified and The Good Wife, it’s the best show on TV right now–EVERYONE in the cast brings it, and Shawn Hatosy is especially deserving.

• Joshua says:

Following your logic the actors Clarke and Logue shouldn’t be on the list either since both of the shows they were on were cancelled.

33. João Amaral says:

BOROMIR!!!!!! Sean Bean is awesome as Ned Stark, he’s an amazing actor.

34. Carol A says:

I hope Matt Bomer gets it. He is great at his portrayal of Neal Caffrey and he deserves it.

• Suzanne says:

I totally agree with you, Matt Bomer should get the emmy. People just evaluate his incredible good looks and he gets so little credit for his acting skills. His little nuances and his voice alone should get the right attention but alas, he is ignored.

• CJ says:

It would be wonderful to see the USA shows get some credit! Bomer and DeKay are a fantastic team!!!

35. Renee says:

WILLIAM H. MACY FOR THE WIN.

Or Michael C. Hall. But I would really like to see Bill Macy win yet another Emmy award to add to his collection. LOL at those people thinking he is “new” to the race.

36. Amanda says:

Man do most people not watch Shameless? The acting is amazing- across the board!

37. Evelyn says:

How is it possible that David Boreanaz is not on this list. Is it a TYPO? I literally scanned the page like 5 times because I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

38. stephanie says:

Kyle Chandler, that is all.

39. buborek says:

Where is John Noble? Without him this year, after this season, this list is a nonsense.

• Kate says:

John Noble is normally considered a supporting actor. Thats what he was nominated as in the Critic’s Choice awards. Joshua Jackson would probably be the one that would be listed here.

• Triple M says:

I agree… John Noble was a great supporting actor since Fringe Season 1…. I hope to see him at least nominated for Supporting Actor….

40. raelee514 says:

What the hell: No love for the Supernatural Boys!

Jensen Ackles: As always he gives an underrated, layered performance, with the range of angst, pain, torment with humor and comedy both black and broad. He cries, he laughs, he’s crude, he’s loving, he’s hard and he’s vulnerable. He is badass, and he’s broken. He brings so much layers to Dean Winchester it’s such a shame that he will never be nominated, but at least he could be mentioned HERE!

Jared Padalecki: OMG. Jared should be HERE for simply how much he has grown as an actor from season 1 to season 6. His Soulless Sam was rationally ruthlessly and down right scary, it was worse than the soulless Angel’s on the show and the twisted souls of the Demons. Then the work he did in the finale was spectacular. He played four different versions of Sam Winchester: He played the Sam we all know and love, then he played Soulless Sam, then was the Sam who remembered Hell, then was a Sam who was all three of those Sam’s inone, all integrated, going forward on stubborness and love alone… It was an amazing performance.

Misha Collin: okay maybe he should be supporting, but still. He had tough sell this season, because we didn’t know a lot of what was going on. But sold things in looks and tone, and tiny shifts in expressions. His work in 6.20 was amazing and his shift from Cas to God was startling. Amazing work.

I of course tagged Fillion and Bomer and though i have to see his work for the current season Kyle Chandler because I KNOW he was awesome, he’s forever to me Jeff Metcalfe.

• Amber says:

LOL,love the Homeland reference. I haven’t thought about that show in forever. I used to feel that way about Kyle Chandler until I started getting more into FNL. Now I can only see him as Coach Taylor.

41. Tonya says:

David Boreanaz should definitely be on the list.

42. B.Rich says:

It’s finally Kyld Chandler’s year with Breaking Bad out of the way. This one isn’t even close.

43. Sally says:

Hugh Laurie. He deserves it for acting so brilliantly despite the crappy storylines this season (Huddy arc, yuck).

44. GS says:

Definitely Nathan Fillion, Tom Selleck, and Michael C. Hall. Thomas Gibson should be on this list. As long as Hugh Laurie isn’t nominated, I’m good.

• Alicia says:

“As long as Hugh Laurie isn’t nominated, I’m good.”
      From your lips to the academy’s ears, hopefully…

• dolly says:

As long as Hugh Laurie is not nominated you’re good, yet you name Tom Selleck, who is as wooden as they come. I hope Hugh Laurie not only gets nominated but wins it. He has deserved it for a long time.

45. Lauren says:

Clearly Hugh Laurie! He’s been deserving one ever since House began, this should be his year. He’s a real gent, so self depricating its unbelievable! His portrayal as Greg House is lengendary and his accent is amazing!Plus he’s flying the flag for us
    Brits, AND his acceptance speeches are the funniest! Need I give any more reasons for him to win?

46. CAM says:

Are you thinking of Donnie Wahlberg in Blue Bloods as a supporting actor? He’s fantastic!

47. amanda says:

hugh laurie FTW! as much as i love nathan fillion (and i do, i adore that man to pieces, ever since buffy) hugh laurie is LONG overdue, he should have won last year. also, can anyone explain why cranston isn’t eligible this year? i don’t have cable, so i don’t watch the show. is it because he’s won so many consecutive times, or is it just that the show didn’t air last season?

48. Triple M says:

Ok let’s be realistic here… This one’s a tough category… Definitely, Steve Buscemi (BOARDWALK EMPIRE), Michael C. Hall (DEXTER), Jon Hamm (MAD MEN), and Hugh Laurie (HOUSE) will battle this out for the trophy…

The story here is who get the final two slots?

I say, William H. Macy (SHAMELESS) and Matt Bomer (WHITE COLLAR) coz he’s really good in there and he deserves a nomination… Though Bomer will I guess be battling with the other worthy nominees like Kyle Chandler (FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS) and Timothy Olymphant (JUSTIFIED).

49. Bella says:

I think David Boreanaz should be on the list this year. I think he’s done some really good work this year.

• Koda Blue's Mom says:

I agree…I love Tom Selleck as much as most people my age! I am old enough to remember the day Magnum premiered. But this year compared to Boreanaz, Selleck’s acting in Blue Blood’s is fairly wooden (I still watch and love him though). I watch not all but truly enjoy many of the other actors listed but can honestly say the character development in Bones this year stretched all of their lead actors especially the two primary leads. The depth of character portrayed by Boreanaz often left both my husband and I speechless and always wanting more.The last scene of the season sealed the deal for both of us. My husband has had a lot of mental and physical pain during his life and this year I believe was his favorite season. The early Booth was fun and fluff and almost perfectly executed for will they or won’t they…the new Booth is well…REAL. What does it take for a guy to get recognition?

• Viggie says:

I agree, David Boreanaz should be on the list. I love the interaction between Bones & Booth it is so believable and alot of it true to life. It has humor, drama and David gave alot more drama this year. He deserves to be nominated and Emily should be up there with the ladies.

50. V says:

Hugh Laurie, who is LONG overdue to win an Emmy for House. His acting in ‘After Hours’ is completely deserving of a nomination and win.

Sadly, I think they’ll continue to pass him up for the award because if they were going to give it to him they probably would have done so by now… but I can hope! It will be a damn shame if he never wins an Emmy for such a stellar character and portrayal.