Tina Fey Calls Tracy Morgan's Anti-Gay Rant 'Disturbing,' Hopes His Apology Is Accepted

Tracy Morgan is apologizing for his “choice of words” during an anti-gay rant he unleashed at a Nashville, Tenn., comedy club last week — during which he suggested he’d “stab” his son if he turned out to be an effeminate homosexual. The 30 Rock star added that gay people should stop whining about bullying.

News of the screed swept the Internet after Kevin Rogers, a gay man who attended the show, posted on Facebook an item called “WHY I NO LONGER ‘LIKE’ Tracy Morgan – A MUST READ.” On Friday, Morgan’s publicist released a statement on the comedian’s behalf.

“I want to apologize to my fans and the gay and lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville. I’m not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others,” Morgan said. “While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.”

UPDATE: Morgan’s 30 Rock boss and costar, Tina Fey, made a statement late Friday, saying: “Stand-up comics may have the right to “work out” their material in its ugliest and rawest form in front of an audience, but the violent imagery of Tracy’s rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the GLBT Community. It also doesn’t line up with the Tracy Morgan I know, who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person. I hope for his sake that Tracy’s apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian coworkers at 30 Rock, without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with, or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket. The other producers and I pride ourselves on 30 Rock being a diverse, safe, and fair workplace.”

What do you think of Morgan’s remarks and his subsequent apology? Will the kerfuffle change your 30 Rock viewing habits? Take our poll below!

1. abc123 says:

While 30 Rock is one of my favorite shows of all times, if Tina Fey doesn’t fire this buffoon, so help me god, I am not watching it next season.
    – Enraged gay male

• ana muller says:

agreed!

• Amy says:

I totally agree. I worship Tina Fey and she is such a strong advocate for the LGBT community (just read the first few chapters of her book!) But she should not stand by this. He is only scrambling to “apologize”; it’s empty.

• abc123 says:

I love both Tina Fey and Jane Krakowski and they’ve both been vocal about gay rights. The show just won a GLAAD Award recently, for pete’s sake! That’s probably the hardest part – knowing how much people over there care about gay causes and yet still having to refrain from watching the show because of one idiot. I’m sorry, Tina – I love 30 Rock, but I love myself and my civil rights more! And this is the perfect opportunity to send a message that this kind of behavior toward gay people WILL. NOT. BE. TOLERATED. (Mixed sitcom reference alert: How much of a Britta am I right now?)

• taco says:

It’s okay to be a Britta when you’re upset by something.

But I do disagree with you. Morgan’s words sound deeply rooted in some kind of hatred, but they were just words. And it is very hard to imagine that kind of hatred being sincere form Morgan. I find it much easier to see it as him either playing to a crowd and improvising – poorly, or some kind of prejudice that he thought was funny but just can’t be when gay kids are killing themselves.

You never know, his apology could be sincere. Why not give him a chance?

• Tim says:

I’m right there with you. This is an ensemble cast and Tracy Morgan isn’t necessary…if anything he’s the weakest link. They could easily write him out and replace him…there are a number of talented, funny ex-SNL cast members I’m sure they could get to play a similiar type of caracter. I hope Tina Fey is the person I think she is and will finally push to get rid of Morgan…after all this isn’t the first time he’s used anti-gay slurs in his comedy.

• Gretchen says:

When they had his kidney removed and he was not in some shows and barely in others, I did not miss him one bit. I love Liz, Jack, Kenneth, Jenna, etc. Grey’s moved on w/o Isiah Washington, 30 Rock can move on from TJ.

• djm says:

Have Rachel Dratch dress up in drag every week (as a dude) and she can be the “male lead”. She is 1,000,000 times funnier than Tracy Morgan could ever dream of being.

• Taylor Geary says:

Honestly, I often think Tracy Morgan sounds like an effeminate gay man, but I never really started watching this show because he annoyed me in the one episode I did see. Shame someone I really don’t didn’t say this, like Glenn Beck.

• sashay says:

I agree, he’s always been the weakest link of 30 Rock and has always been the most expendable. I had heard that he was a very nice, kind person although somewhat “crazy” and unpredictable. This incident has completely changed my view of him. I would like to see him be written out, although I think that would be a challenge for the writers, since they made it seem as if Tracy Jordan was essential for TGIF to avoid cancellation.
        I also think this puts Tina in a difficult spot. She appears to be very loyal, to all of her cast and crew, and supports free speech, but this kind of hate speech kind of cancels that out. I’ve always thought it must be hard to juggle the brilliance of Alec Baldwin with his emotional instability, and now it appears that Tracy Morgan is worse. Whatever happens, I’ll continue to watch the show, but I honestly would prefer this man to leave it, and disappear into obscurity. As posters on other chat boards have noted, Morgan’s rant wasn’t only homophobic, it was also sexist and blamed women for all of the problems in the world. He seems to be despicable on many levels, and I don’t care if he honestly thought offending people was funny. South Park can be offensive but is certainly funny, this man is not.

• mary moon says:

You know, I would hate to be fired for my opinions and beliefs. I would think that is unfair. Morgan’s comments were sickening, but his termination would be a gross hypocrisy.

• AJ says:

He’s welcome to his opinions and beliefs but when he shares them as “comedy” it’s a different situation.

• KevyB says:

I agree! And why shouldn’t he be fired? As an actor ANYTHING you say can lose you viewers, whether it’s bigotry, unpopular political beliefs or even all the crap that poured out of Charlie Sheen’s mouth, none of which was bigoted. And his words were worse than just “comedy” gone wrong. They perpetuate the dangerous myth that people CHOOSE to be gay and not only does that attitude encourage hate crimes, but he actually talks about committing one upon own son, doubly encouraging them. This isn’t someone calling someone else a bad name and an apology is meaningless.

• @mary moon says:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs, yes, but they also need to be prepared to defend them and take responsibility for them and face consequences for them. If you work for any company that takes a certain policy very seriously (in this case, a TV show and its producers who, very vocally, pride themselves in “being a diverse, safe, and fair workplace”), you could (and should) be fired for not adhering to the company’s policies and views and for making the company look bad. You’d be giving the whole company, from its owners to your colleagues, a bad name and making them out to be liars, and they’d have every right to fire you for working against what the company believes. Remember that guy who worked for Google and used his permission to access clients’ private information? He’s only one person in a big company but what would it say about Google as a whole if they hadn’t fired him?

• Troy says:

As a bisexual male, I am not even remotely offended. The man is a comedian, and he was JOKING it’s what he does for a living. It wasn’t a particularly good joke, but I won’t hold it against him personally nor would I stop watching the show if I ever watched it to begin with. The entire alphabet community needs to chill the f*ck out. Waayyy too much sensitivity to people’s comments.

• Michael says:

I find your post to be almost as ignorant as Tracy’s rant. People ARE getting stabbed because of their sexuality and beaten and ridiculed. For you to excuse his behavior because he’s a comedian, as if that gives someone license to extol violence against ANYONE, makes you not much better than him. Very sad.

• Troy says:

Didn’t condone the action of actually stabbing someone or the belief that gay people should be stabbed. My point is that it’s a f*cking JOKE. It’s not intended to be taken seriously. As for the violence aspect of the joke, it’s called dark humor. It’s common. Doesn’t mean that the person telling it is actually hateful or violent.

• jamie says:

That “joke” is done in bad taste and thus should not be considered as one. Tina fey herself, a COMEDIAN has found it disturbing. Not to mention the fact that it pertains to killing his OWN SON because his gay. It isn’t dark humour. It’s just dark. If you find that funny then you should seriously get some help.

• Troy says:

Violence in jokes can be quite funny. I don’t know whether or not this particular joke was funny because I haven’t heard the full joke. I find joke pertaining to violence and death to be funny a lot of the time. For example, how do you turn a fruit into a vegetable? AIDS. Now as, stated previously, I am bisexual. However, I still find this joke funny because I realize that it’s a joke. Do I actually find a person getting AIDS funny? No.

• jamie says:

Dude, seriously. Get some help. Grasping the logic of my statement included.

• NickC says:

People make mistakes…and guess what people?They also learn from them…You all will be watching next season and Tracy will be on the show.give me a break…

• Delon says:

He made a tasteless joke and quickly apologized for it. This is no way near the I.Washington/TR Knight incident where i was appalled to my very core. I would never ever forgive what Washington said(twice!)and i’m so glad he disappeared from TV, but as a gay man i forgive Tracy Morgan and i’ll continue to watch 30 Rock with or without him.

2. Jerri says:

I stopped watching 30Rock before their 100th episode because Tracy Morgan got on my nerves. The character he plays is downright irritating. I don’t know how other characters can stand him for so long.

• Sarah says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I won’t watch the show, Tracy Jordan is already the reason why I left.

• Gail says:

My sister loves 30 Rock so I’ve tried it from time to time. The episodes I happened upon featured Tracy Morgan and I just didn’t think they were funny. So I never was a fan because of TM. His rant was unconscionable. Not a fan!

3. Terri says:

Sorry, Tina. I do love you but I can’t take Tracy anymore. I can only tolerate his “type” of humor so much. I did not find anything in his “act” as funny and although he has apologized. I don’t find it geniune. He is only doing it because he knows he made a mistake and greatly offended many people. I have a gay son and I love him. I would never make a “comedy” act about stabbing my son if he came out to me. That’s not comedy -it is an attack on gay people. As a parent -it was inappropriate. I cannot in good conscious support a show that has a person that obviously has so much hate in his heart for other human beings. I would feel like a hypercrite

• @Terri says:

The thing is, I don’t think he’s offering that weak, very weak, so very beyond weak apology because he knows he made a mistake and greatly offended many people. I don’t think he quite *knows* that. He was unlucky enough to have a gay person there listening to his hateful rant and now he’s getting flames for it so he’s doing his best to cover his own ass. Hey, here’s a good way to make your apology actually seem sincere: donate all the proceedings from that one specific stand-up show to any LGBT-oriented charity that works to educate people against bullying. Or, since he threatened his own son’s life, any charity that protects children who are survivors of domestic violence. Volunteer time at one of these organizations. I have a hard time believing someone is genuinely contrite when they offer only a prettily-worded “I’m sorry” while not backing it up with actions or changing their behavior.

I’m glad your son has you and your love. It’s sad how often that’s not the case.

4. Bobbi says:

I don’t watch ’30 Rock’ and never have, but I wish I did so I could stop! Tina Fey hasn’t been heard from yet, has she? I feel for her but really hope she addresses this soon. This went way beyond the pale.

• sashay says:

Yes, she did respond, and did so thoughtfully & intelligently. Try reading the article up above, it actually mentions it.

5. Dryden says:

This is inexcusable. Mr. Morgan needs to be fired or I won’t be watching when “30 Rock” comes back in the spring.

• taco says:

Inexcusable eh? Seems to me a lot of folks are very quick to not excuse or forgive anyone these days.

Give someone a chance to NOT be the worst you imagine them to be and you might find people don’t suck so much.

Or do you have no room in your heart for forgiveness? If I were you, I would find that inexcusable.

• Michael says:

There is a big difference between calling something inexcuseable and calling it unforgiveable. There is NO excuse for what he said. He may be sorry and may go on to prove so, but I don’t see a problem with calling his comments inexcusable nor do I see a problem with people demanding that he be fired. I have plenty of room in my heart for forgiveness, but he needs to prove that he wants it first.

6. Whynotcanada says:

come on Slezak … where is my Haley fix? Can’t stand the wait!

• thelstrikeman says:

I agree! I waited all week or Haley’s interview and still nothing. It’s not cool making us wait so long!

• kate says:

HALEY HALEY HALEY

• Tusk says:

*taking. all. my. will. not. to. bust out and join you…..must. be. civil…….*

• Gino says:

Give in to the temptation, Tusk! We want Haley!
            Besides, this article isn’t really even TV-related, other than the fact that the actor involved acts on a TV show.

• Tusk says:

The way my brain has been socially engineered living in the US, I have to resist impulsive behaviour for the instant gratification I apparently “need”. I grow impatient for my Haley fix. *drools a bit*

Besides, this topic is Kryptonite to respond to….comedians in any society act as sort of mirror. They reflect to us, in the form of humor, all aspects of our Id, as a society , not all of it polite and decent.

Some humor pushes the envelope and depending on the comedian, “socially awkward” issues, are introduced, laughed about, then discussed (Lisa Lampinelli, Chris Rock, Richard Pryor or even Don Rickles.)

Other comedians, whether it be timing, social temperature, or just bad comedy, get villified for similar topics delivered in a similar way (Michael Richards-Kramer, Gilbert Gottfried and now, Tracy Morgan.

I’m not speaking to the subject matter or the comedian, but to the nature of being a comedian in a society that both praises and comdems human individuality.

—————————

See what I do when I don’t get my Haley fix??? I need her wonderful distraction.

7. daisyj says:

“Choice of words?” What words could he have chosen that would have made those statements less offensive? “Sorry everyone, what I really should have said was ‘I’d shoot my son if he acted like he was gay.’ Hope that clears everything up for you.”

• darcy's evil twin says:

Made me laugh! :-)

Good grief. Will these comedians NEVER learn?
      Tracy – it’s perfectly okay to say offensive, hateful things about Sarah Palin, conservatives, and Republicans, but you CAN NOT make offensive comments about gay people! Did you forget what line of work you’re in?

• Paul says:

Are you comparing an harmless joke about Sarah Palin and Republicans to a “joke” about stabbing your son if he’s gay? You’re just as sick as he is.

• Troy says:

It’s a completely fair comparison. The bottom line is that unless Tracy actually stabs someone or legitimately believes that gay people should be stabbed (which I don’t believe is the case), it’s just another joke. Doesn’t sound like a particularly funny joke, but it’s still just a joke.
          -Bisexual male that couldn’t care less

• Michael says:

Well kudos to you for figuring out that it’s merely a joke. You are seemingly brilliant. What you are forgetting is that not everyone processess a joke as a joke. There are many simple-minded individuals who will take that “joke” as some sort of call to action, as a reaffirmation of their own hate. Do you live on this planet? Have you not noticed the vitriolic dialogue of the right wing, comparing gays and bisexuals to perverts and animals. The fact that you are so socially and politically unaware of the current climate speaks volumes.

• Troy says:

“What you are forgetting is that not everyone processess a joke as a joke. There are many simple-minded individuals who will take that “joke” as some sort of call to action,”
            It’s not his fault that people are stupid enough to take him seriously.

• Troy says:

If someone is going to be violent toward lgbt people, they’re going to be violent against lgbt people regardless of a bad joke from a C list comedian.

8. Ken The Great says:

GAH! A new post and it’s not Haley. Yer killin’ me Michael!

9. Jesse says:

Oh, who cares? Boo-hoo. Go cry about it, and while you’re doing that, I’ll be watching some 30 Rock.

10. MA says:

I think comedy is a tricky business, and if you don’t gauge your audience correctly, you can be in for a huge backlash. I don’t really know much about Tracy Morgan’s style, so I don’t know if he’s a raunchy risk taker (a la Eddie Murphy in RAW), or if he’s just a jerk. But clearly, he was out of line here. Personally, I like comedy that has few boundaries and attacks anything PC, but even I have to admit, this is pretty dang offensive. And it’s not even funny. Offensive and funny is OK. Offensive and a$$hole-y is just stupid, lame, and…well…offensive.

11. Cas says:

It was actually more disturbing than it was offensive especially when childrens are involve in an “adult joke”

12. Tracy (not Morgan) says:

This is eye-opening, and terribly disappointing. I had no idea Tracy Morgan was a homophobe and I’ll be honest it really does change the way I view him from a loveably loopy into something far more disgusting. There’s really no way for his PR Team (who were unquestionably behind his newly released statement because Mr. Morgan let his *true* feelings towards gays and lesbians be know) to spin this effectively.

13. Sami says:

The fact is that he would never have issued an apology if he wasn’t forced to by this negative media attention. What he said is inexcusable and the fact that he thought it might have been received well is just downright sad. I hope his children have people in their lives who accept them as they are- gay, straight or otherwise. Didn’t he just get an organ transplant? Would he not have accepted an organ from a gay man/woman? A person is a person is a person. Gay, straight, bi, black, white, and everything in between.

14. Kristen says:

I’m curious to see what ramifications come from this. I don’t want it to effect the “30 Rock” world, but I don’t see how Tina can’t act on this….

15. Ashleigh says:

I love Tina Fey and Jane Krakowski, but I do not watch 30 Rock because of Tracy Morgan. I’ve never thought he was funny, and this is just more evidence supporting that fact. If you like him, more power to you, but I have never been a fan.

16. Sourabh says:

Apologizes for ‘choice of words’? What, he would’ve preferred to be homophobic using different words?

• Lizza says:

He’s clearly saying he isn’t homophobic, but that his word choices implied that he is.

• Gem says:

He said that lesbians are only gay because they hate men and they can’t possibly be attracted to women, that he would stab his son if he came home and said he was gay, and that he didn’t care if he offended the gay community.

Not certain that it could be interpreted in any other way than as homophobic.

• Lizza says:

I’m talking about the apology. Sourabh didn’t get what he was saying in his apology. And in that apology, he is saying he isn’t homophobic even though his word choice suggested he was. I agree that the remarks are homophobic, but I was just explaining the apology to Sourabh.

17. TM says:

Maybe gay people would stop whining about bullying if idiots like Tracy Morgan stopped being bullies.

These comments were completely unacceptable, and apology or no, he needs to be fired from 30 Rock immediately.

18. Ken The Great says:

I still watch Seinfeld reruns.

• Dryden says:

Go watch some while waiting for you Hailey fix.

• Ken The Great says:

Misspelled snark = fail

• Dryden says:

Coming into a post on homophobia from a popular actor to talk about a loser from American Idol and try to make a glib comment about a racist? Your priorities = fail.

• Ken The Great says:

Braveheart was an awesome movie. Might have to rent it this weekend.

• Ken The Great says:

Cool that Common visited the White House.

• Taylor says:

@Dryden- Well, it IS a TV web site. Not exactly the most appropriate place for a discussion of social issues. The poll at the end of this article seems like a lame attempt to tie the issue back to TV, when in reality 30 Rock has nothing to do with Tracey Morgan’s comedic stumble.

19. Amanda says:

The apology does not seem real to me. The question at the end of the article shouldn’t be about 30 Rock, it should be about him! Do you support him? Would you support him in the future? Do you believe his apology? Do you believe he was merely saying tasteless “jokes”? Of course, all my answers to those are a resounding NO!!

20. RachelA says:

Hey people, number 3 was the WRONG ANSWER! Those of you who picked that need to go back and start your lives over again!

21. dave says:

BTW, your story makes it out to sound like this happened at some comedy club, and it didn’t — this was at the historic Ryman Auditorium, one of the most respected venues in Nashville and original home of the Grand Ol’ Opry. It’s not like it was “Zanies” or some other generic comedy club with a bunch of drunks for a crowd.

22. Ross says:

After disliking Tracy’s character for the first 3 seasons (no SNL in the UK so I’d never seen or heard of him before 30 Rock) I’d started to warm to him more over the last two years. However I will no longer be able to watch any scene he is in without feeling uncomfortable that I am giving my time to an actor with such horrid views and beliefs. I love 30 Rock and love Tina Fey though, and think the show would stand up on its own with such a great cast and supporting characters. Axe Tracy and let us continue to watch 30 Rock guilt free.

• kj says:

I don’t watch 30 Rock all that often, but weren’t there several episodes this season without Tracy Jordan from when he was recovering from his surgery? I saw a few of them, and they weren’t any less funny without him. The show can definitely stand on its own without him, and it should.

• abc123 says:

They did two episodes without him. The show can definitely keep the same level of funny even without him. And most of the storylines involving him are downright painful anyway (Smooth move Ferguson, anyone?).

23. The Truth says:

I don’t hate Tracey Morgan for being hateful. I hate him for being not funny… as in, ever.

Anyway, I am waiting for the eventual ironic post where some gay person calls Tracey the N word for being a bigot. People seem to think being a minority group makes you not bigotted, when if anything, it seems to make you hyper-bigotted – like suddenly you are entitled to be hurtful and get away with it because you are in a minority group, be it racially or sexually.

Ah well, such is life, and the world goes round and round.

Laughable rationalizations from the peanut gallery as to why their bigotry “isn’t bigoted” in 3…. 2…… 1…..

• Ken The Great says:

I don’t hate Tracey Morgan for being hateful. I hate him for being not funny.

Truth indeed!

• Tim says:

I find it insulting that you think “some gay person” will “eventually” call him the N word. What exactly is this based on? Most gay people I know tend to have a live and let live attitude and wouldn’t use that word because they understand how hurtful negative names can be. I sense perhaps you aren’t as outraged by what Tracy Morgan has said as you pretend.

• Michael says:

There are already dozens of posts on this blurb, and no one has done anything of the sort. Get off of your high-horse, you sanctimonious jackoff.

• Wendeeloo says:

Isn’t this ironic? On 30 Rock, Liz Lemon is always having to deal with Tracey’s ‘social missteps’ and now Tina, as the head of the show has to decide how to deal with it. I hope they do something, because it’s obviously how Tracey feels; and “bad choice of words” is a ridiculous ‘apology’.

24. Tim says:

It’s hard to accept this so cold apology when this isn’t the first time Tracy Morgan has used anit-gay “comedy” in his show. It’s time for NBC, 30 Rock producers and the wonderful Tina Fey to cut ties with this jerk…and I for one won’t be watching the show any longer as long as he is on it.

• Courtney says:

What was his previous anti-gay “comedy?” Do you have any links or details? I’m not disputing at all, I’m just looking for the info so I can read more about it.

• Aaron says:

The man who wrote this facebook note sent it to GLAAD and they responded that this wasn’t the first time Tracy Morgan had used homophobic slurs in his comedy routine. Maybe that’s what Tim was referring to. Although, I think this recent comment sort of took it over the edge. As far as what exactly he previously said, I’m not entirely sure.

25. Ken The Great says:

South Park will have a field day with this.

26. Marc says:

I am a heterosexual male and found this comment wildly distasteful and offensive.

I have only ever seen this topic done well by the late Greg Giraldo. In one of his bits he said he was asked if he would mind having a gay son, to which he responded: “how gay?” He then went on to say that you’re born gay and can’t control that but can control how gay you are, told a story, and everyone in the audience was hysterical.

To kick back to Tracy Morgan, THAT is how you make a joke about being overly effeminate, not bordering on hate crime. I guarantee you that this wouldn’t be a story had Tracy Morgan responded with “flogging his effiminately gay son with his new Manalo Blahniks” instead of stab.

I am also not one of those overly sensitive types who calls for people’s heads after comments; I love raw humor

• Greg Giraldo Fan says:

Rest in Peace Greg, amazingly hilarious and unabashed. Still PO’d why there was no mention of his passing on CNN but on every other ‘news source’. Often wondered why.

27. darcy's evil twin says:

I’M BRIAN FELLOW. AND I DON’T LIKE GAY PEOPLE. ;-)
    I’m a straight, conservative, “about as WASPY as they come” woman, and yea, it just wasn’t funny.

28. isaiah washington who? says:

never been a tracy morgan or a 30 rock fan. but i’m pretty sure comedy is supposed to be… um… i dunno… funny?

29. thelstrikeman says:

This guy is just an idiot with no education. His appology is not sincere and as a gay man I will not accept it. I stopped watching 30 rock last year but I never could stand he actor or his character. He’s just not funny.

30. Ken The Great says:

Still no Haley…I’m dying.

31. Thomas says:

I am done with this show. I always thought he was a no talent. Now he is a no talent bigot!

32. Jenny says:

There’s a difference between equal opportunity offender and saying you would kill/injure someone for being gay. There’s no place for that and there isn’t even any comedy in saying it.

33. If Mr. Morgan has that much hatred toward the Gay & Lesbian community, maybe he should pick up a sign and join The Westboro Baptist Church. You can see their fearless leader, Fred Phelps burning in a neon pink Gay Hell on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/03/fred-phelps-and-westboro-baptist-church.html Maybe there’s room for Tracy to ride the unicorn?

34. bryce says:

you people are seriously going to stop watching a hilarious show that has like 8 other main cast members just because you don’t like what’s going on with one actor’s personal life? I’m certainly not validating what he said, but I’m sure there are a lot of other people on tv with opinions/beliefs you don’t approve of.

• Michael says:

You are right…but most are not dumb enough to air them to the world. And, more importantly, what kind of logic is that? I doubt many black people would watch a “Hilarious” show starring a member of the KKK, so why is it surprising to you that a gay person wouldn’t want to watch a “hilarious” show starring a homophobe would condones violence against them?

• Gem says:

It’s possible to watch the show and still send a message. DVR it and don’t watch it within 7 days and you can still watch it. Or watch it online.

I don’t want to stop watching the show, but I want to send a message about how hateful his attitude is (this isn’t a one-off – he’s done this before). And sadly, the ratings are the only message networks hear.

35. Amber says:

How unfortunate Tracy Morgan feels that way and is trying so hard to keep homophobia alive and well. It’s pretty unacceptable, but I wouldn’t let one bad apple keep me from watching a show with a great ensemble cast that stars some other perfectly nice people. If I was going to let one person influence me that way I would have stopped watching 30 Rock after Alec Baldwin called his teenage daughter a pig.

And I think Tracy Morgan can probably kiss his chances of getting nominated for an emmy goodbye after this, and his omission will be rightly deserved.

And finally, I gotta say, it sounds to me like his publicist wrote his apology and all he had to do was read it. Tracy Morgan is one hot mess, and I don’t think he could write anything that articulate, much less mean it. Remember, this is the same guy who tried to flirt with a woman by telling her, “Girl, I wanna get you pregnant,” and then went on Conan O’Brien’s show making several horrid racist comments about Latinos and how he liked to feed Latinos (not the word he used) to his pet sharks. The guy is just a crazy, discombobulated mess.

36. Peter says:

This was, obviously, bad and shameful, but it really doesn’t affect my viewing of 30 Rock. I mean, unless a person’s issues carry over into the show itself I don’t see a reason to boycott the unrelated product. I still enjoy some of Mel Gibson’s old movies in spite of the crap he’s been sputtering for the past little while, nevermind Tom Cruise. Unless 30 Rock is about to agree with the rant or pump profits into some blatantly anti-gay organization I don’t see the point.

• Jake says:

This. The group on the 30 Rock (Tina Fey, Jane Krakowski, especially) have been particularly supportive of the gay community, but this (and Tracey Morgan’s tirade) really have nothing to do with the entertainment value of ’30 Rock.’ Plus, why punish an entire cast with low viewership because one person ran his mouth? And for those calling for him to be fired… as bad as it sounds, even if he was expressing an anti-gay opinion, this really has nothing to do with his acting ability and job. He’s not an LGBT spokesperson, so why is it so important that he has a particular viewpoint? Many conservative actors aren’t necessarily pro-gay, but they can still be fine actors. And if you’re paying to go to Tracey Morgan’s show, I think you can expect to be offended in some way- I personally don’t find him to be all that funny.

37. Teresa says:

I can’t answer your poll because none of the choices appeal to me. It’s a pretty strong apology, but it was a very violent image to use and Mr. Morgan may need to make a stronger gesture because of that.

Comedy is about breaking taboos — so a comedian, especially one whose persona is built on being offensive is going to make mistakes. I watch 30 Rock, and I find Tracy Morgan an essentially sweet actor. His whole act (on the show — I haven’t seen his stand-up) is to be a spoiled man-child with no sense of appropriate behavior.

I would hate to see his career destroyed for one performance. But I think he does need to realize that the jokes were completely inappropriate. Not just because they were homophobic, but because he’s talking about violence toward a child.

If it sounds like I’m pearl-clutching, I am a bit. But I’m aware that there’s a big difference between what a comedian says on stage and what he feels in his heart. However, when a big line is crossed, people can and should speak against it.

38. Jo says:

He’s an arsehole, we already knew this. I’m not surprised but saddened.
    Tracy has always been the weakest part of 30 Rock but my love for Tina Fey is pretty strong. If she replaces him, I will celebrate. And I can finally get my sister to watch (she wouldn’t watch it because of him). If not, well, let’s just start a petition to have a gay character introduced into the show. Who happens to be his son. See if he would shoot or stab the n-word (his words, not mine) then.

39. GeorgiaPat says:

I’m a believer that most jokes and offhanded remarks come from a place of that person’s true convictions… and perhaps from their FEARS? No wonder kids are afraid to come out to their families. I don’t watch 30 Rock every week, but think it’s very clever. I won’t watch it any more or less because of this incident, but if I had been a Tracy Morgan fan, this would have completely changed my feelings about him. As was, I didn’t have a particularly high opinion of him, anyway.

40. Aaron says:

I do think that the best comedians are ones that break social stereotypes and are not afraid to speak their minds. I find it refreshing that many of the best known stand-up comics are those that don’t really have a filter, if you know what I mean. However, Tracy Morgan’s words go far beyond simple comedic banter into downright vitriolic hate. Sarah Silverman and Joan Rivers oftentimes revolve their acts around the gay community, but they are excellent comedians that understand that the best humor is oftentimes ironic and tongue-in-cheek, which is why they have such a strong gay following because they aren’t oft-putting, but rather inclusive or “in on the joke”…the fact that Tracy’s “punchline” was that he would stab his son if he came out as gay is not funny at all–it’s disturbing and sickening, especially since there is such an epidemic of gay, teenage suicides in America. This makes me so disappointed, and I can’t even fathom how some of his co-workers feel, like Tina and Jane Krakowski, both who are such strong gay advocates. I love them both on 30 Rock and as people, in general, but I would feel really hypocritical watching a show with Tracy Morgan who probably would not like me simply based on my sexuality.

• taco says:

“Tina and Jane Krakowski, both who are such strong gay advocates. I love them both on 30 Rock and as people, in general”

Then see how this plays out and by your own words, trust their judgment. It may not be entirely Fey’s call, but if she continues to stand up for Morgan doesn’t that say something??

41. Chatty says:

If Tina Fey is as smart as I think she is, she will fire this man. I watch 30 Rock and can say without hesitation that his character would not be missed at all. To think that making a joke about violence towards anybody – let alone your own child – is funny, speaks volumes about Tracy Morgan’s character. I am not gay and I’m offended; his comments are disgusting and any reasonable person should be upset. Unbelievable!

42. Amber says:

I maintain that Tracy’s apology was way too articulate to have been written by anyone other than a publicist, therefore its sincerity should be doubted. I believe he meant everything he said on stage. The apology would not have been written had it not put his career into jeopardy.

• taco says:

Way to crack the apology was written by a publicist mystery. You’ve blown Hollywood wide open.

And you believe he meant the joke? What the hell does that mean? You actually think he would stab his gay son in the face?

Are you a troll or just an unrepentant idiot?

Honestly, I know some people take this kind of thing very personally for very good reasons but some people just sound like they just want to lash out.

• Amber says:

I’m not sure what I did to make you so angry. You seem like you kind of want to lash out at people yourself. My comments were not meant to attack you. Why would you attack me?

• taco 2 says:

A comment section is a good place to be stupid AND to lash out. And yes, your comment was just that stupid.

• dee says:

Stay away from the tacos. They are full of nuts. Talk about trolls lurking in the threads….

43. Chris says:

Ok. It’s a comedian’s job to push the boundaries of taste and say things that bring you to the edge of your comfort zone. And sometimes they take that too far. But he was obviously kidding. If Tracy Morgan wanted to stand on a stage and say his true beliefs, he would be a preacher or a politician. But he’s a comedian. Comedians say things they don’t really agree with in order to amuse us. Can you imagine how crazy of a world we would be living in if everything a comedian describes in his set were actually true? Tracy was just trying to amuse. I’ve heard countless other comedians make homophobic jokes, and no one jumps all over them. Daniel Tosh is one such comedian, and he too has a popular TV show. Tracy should be commended for acknowledging that he went too far, and apologizing, which is an act that most other comedians would do after their homophobic jokes. Tracy realized he made a mistake and offended when he meant to entertain, and apologized. Give the man a chance. He felt bad he offended a fan and is trying to apologize. Everyone makes a mistake and says something without thinking about every possible outcome. Get off your high horse and give him a chance. I bet he cuts gay jokes out entirely from his set now. Just watch and shut your mouth. The people on your tv can’t hear you anyway

44. postsalot says:

What the hell is a Haley?

45. concerned says:

What he said is terrible though the show would not be the same without him…. try to forgive and enjoy the show while we still have it…..if you look at the big picture it was just a few poorly chosen words and not a savage statement of hate.

30 rock is awesome!

46. Jen says:

To those saying “why is this offensive? it’s funny!”:

Take a look at that part where he says he would stab his son if he came out as gay to him. This is the kind of speech that has LGBT teens scared — nay, frightened! — to come out to their friends and family. Imagine if his child really *were* gay. Is he going to come out to his father now? If I were in his place… I can’t say I would.

I’m a closeted bisexual teen. And even reading that article felt like a hit to the chest. Seeing rants like this – whether he was joking or not, regardless, it is a reminder that there are people who think this way – it reminds me that there are people out there who hate me before they know me. It reminds me that any relationship I’ve built up could be torn down in seconds if I were to so much as mention being queer. It’s a reminder that we still live in a world where hostility like this exists, and yes, it’s a reminder that could potentially push an already pained teen over the edge.

There is comedy that is well-intentioned and pokes fun at the LGBT community. I often laugh along with it. This? This isn’t funny, whether or not it was intended that way. He crossed a line, and I’m not sure that any amount of backpedaling is going to cover that up.

47. James says:

Hes right to rant about them…what self-respecting male would take it up the butt? Or give it to another male?!

• Gem says:

Sure, because THIS seemed to be the right post to bring out more bigoted homophobia.

• Francis says:

Well, you know what they say about those who put so much emphasis and have an irrational angst against homosexuals.

• @James says:

I feel sorry for your girlfriend/wife. You must be terribly dull in bed if parts of your body are off-limits to her and/or you write off certain sexual practices without consideration simply because they would offend your sensitive and wobbling masculinity.

48. ziamp says:

Tracy who? With that ‘lack’ of humour and level of ignorance, he is dead to me.

49. Jane says:

Until I see a video of exactly what he said and the context in which he said it, I’m willing to accept his apology as sincere. If he was trying to be funny when he said it, let’s just call it in very poor taste. Having watched 30 rock and SNL with Tracy, I don’t think he was being serious. No one got upset with Samberg and Timberlake’s “It’s OK in a 3 way” which to me seemed very offensive. It implied being gay was a bad thing, but acceptable if a woman was involved too.

50. Billy says:

I think what Tracy said is perfectley fine. He made gay jokes, what comedian doesn’t. People need to let this ride and stop being so sensitive.

• Francis says:

Perfectly fine, Billy? It’s perfectly fine to say I’m going to stab my gay son? It’s perfectly fine to say gay people are mistakes of nature?

Please tell, what is fine about that, Billy? Where is the joke? Can you find the punchline in Tracy saying gay people shouldn’t be supported by society?

Sensitive? I think not. You sound like the typical privileged individual. It’s not sensitive to find offense in offensive hate speech.

• Tony says:

Actually, Francis, given his misspelling of “perfectly,” this is probably a young person. You, however, are rather condescending and come off as a “typical privileged individual.”
        I don’t think anyone can comment unless they were there and heard the tone of voice, context, etc. After all, this was all based on a single person’s experience.