The Closer 'Gets Her Comeuppance'! Which Lost Alum Will Try to Save Her Bacon?

The seventh and final season of TNT’s The Closer will involve Brenda Leigh Johnson being called on the courtroom carpet about her super-shrewd methods for culling confessions and thus solving crimes. And it will be up to Lost alum Mark Pellegrino to keep the Deputy Chief’s reputation properly polished.

Kyra Sedgwick’s Case for Leaving The Closer: ‘I Want To Go Out While We’re On Top’

Series star Kyra Sedgwick told TVLine last month that the theme for the coming season — which will air in three batches and won’t finale until next summer — is “love and loss.”

Expounding on the potential for “loss,” she said, “Brenda really gets her comeuppance this year, because of the morally and legally ambiguous ways –- although she never actually broke the law –- in which she either took the law into her own hands or elicited confessions. That all comes back to haunt her.”

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on The Closer‘s Season 7 Premiere

Firing a first salvo in that direction is the mother of a slain gang member who blames Brenda for her son’s death. Cue Pellegrino as Gavin Baker, a defense attorney whom series boss James Duff describes to TV Guide Magazine as “formidable” and “ruthless in court.”

But does he have what it takes to winningly defend Brenda’s tactics? Or is this first lawsuit paving the way for The Closer‘s eventual segue into the spin-off Major Crimes?

TNT Officially Announces The Closer Spin-off

The Closer‘s seventh season kicks off July 11. Pellegrino, whose credits also include Supernatural and Syfy’s Being Human, begins his recurring run in mid-August.

Comments (18)

• I’m excited for this season…the previews look good, that one case when she left the gangster at his house was great…Way to build on that case and more, hopefully they get Billy burke(dont know the characther’s name) that was the only one to get away, i think…

Comment by bmo – June 9, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, Dennis Dutton got away too, as did Bill Croelick, sort of.

Comment by Spaz – August 23, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I hope they touch upon Billy Burke’s character again too. I loved how he got away with it (then), but they can’t leave it open-ended like that. I’d want a resolution to that before Brenda leaves.

Comment by Patty – June 9, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That exactly what I’ve been wondering. He was one of the best villains on that show in my mind. His episode is still one of my favorites.

Comment by Kate – June 9, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was my Ask Asiello question last week, so hopefully we’ll hear about that soon. I’d also like to see Jason Mara on there one more time, too.

Comment by Cathy – June 9, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I could go for one more episode with O’Mara and just plain Brenda as well.

Comment by Nostradamus – June 9, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes! I would really like for his character to pop up again (he plays the extremely creepy very well), but I doubt that he will since he has that new show coming on Fox.

Comment by laylagalise – June 10, 2011 08:34 AM PDT
  • Gang member’s mother…has anyone confirmed if it has anything to do with the guy that Brenda and the team practically left to die in last years’ premiere?

Comment by Deion – June 9, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s going to play a Lawyer?
    Now we will REALLY get see how well he does evil!!!! ;-)

Comment by Mr. Furley – June 9, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Matt, aren’t you clever? Save her Bacon…Kevin, of course!

Comment by Connie – June 9, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was QUITE proud of that one, yes. You get 500 TVLine bonus points for noticing :)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 9, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do you phrase the title as a question, but put the answer (via a picture) on the main page?

Comment by Corinne – June 9, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sad that The Closer is coming to an end. I look forward to seeing Brenda & company every summer. I wonder how many of the cast members they are going to keep for the spinoff?

Comment by maggie – June 9, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just because it was written that Jacob would be Brenda’s lawyer, doesn’t mean anything. It’s just a name. The choice is hers, always has been.

Comment by Charles J – June 9, 2011 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pellegrino is hot and a terrific actor, and I love his water too.

Comment by Tego Livi – June 10, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Pellegrino will make the show so much more awesome!! Love this news! He was brilliant as Lucifer and Jacob in the two best tv shows of all time – Supernatural and Lost!

Comment by GW – June 10, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am also a big fan of the Closer. I have watched it since it’s inception! I would love to see Ray Wise character again before the end of the series! I loved him in Reaper & Psyche. He was such a great character especially in Pope family custody situation. I also would love to see Jason O’Mara & Billy Burke again! I will truly miss her getting her confessions… Nobody does it better!!!

Comment by John B. – June 11, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post