The Closer 'Gets Her Comeuppance'! Which Lost Alum Will Try to Save Her Bacon?

The seventh and final season of TNT’s The Closer will involve Brenda Leigh Johnson being called on the courtroom carpet about her super-shrewd methods for culling confessions and thus solving crimes. And it will be up to Lost alum Mark Pellegrino to keep the Deputy Chief’s reputation properly polished.

Kyra Sedgwick’s Case for Leaving The Closer: ‘I Want To Go Out While We’re On Top’

Series star Kyra Sedgwick told TVLine last month that the theme for the coming season — which will air in three batches and won’t finale until next summer — is “love and loss.”

Expounding on the potential for “loss,” she said, “Brenda really gets her comeuppance this year, because of the morally and legally ambiguous ways –- although she never actually broke the law –- in which she either took the law into her own hands or elicited confessions. That all comes back to haunt her.”

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on The Closer‘s Season 7 Premiere

Firing a first salvo in that direction is the mother of a slain gang member who blames Brenda for her son’s death. Cue Pellegrino as Gavin Baker, a defense attorney whom series boss James Duff describes to TV Guide Magazine as “formidable” and “ruthless in court.”

But does he have what it takes to winningly defend Brenda’s tactics? Or is this first lawsuit paving the way for The Closer‘s eventual segue into the spin-off Major Crimes?

TNT Officially Announces The Closer Spin-off

The Closer‘s seventh season kicks off July 11. Pellegrino, whose credits also include Supernatural and Syfy’s Being Human, begins his recurring run in mid-August.

1. bmo says:

I’m excited for this season…the previews look good, that one case when she left the gangster at his house was great…Way to build on that case and more, hopefully they get Billy burke(dont know the characther’s name) that was the only one to get away, i think…

2. Patty says:

Yeah, I hope they touch upon Billy Burke’s character again too. I loved how he got away with it (then), but they can’t leave it open-ended like that. I’d want a resolution to that before Brenda leaves.

• Kate says:

That exactly what I’ve been wondering. He was one of the best villains on that show in my mind. His episode is still one of my favorites.

• Cathy says:

That was my Ask Asiello question last week, so hopefully we’ll hear about that soon. I’d also like to see Jason Mara on there one more time, too.

• Nostradamus says:

I could go for one more episode with O’Mara and just plain Brenda as well.

• laylagalise says:

Yes! I would really like for his character to pop up again (he plays the extremely creepy very well), but I doubt that he will since he has that new show coming on Fox.

3. Deion says:

Gang member’s mother…has anyone confirmed if it has anything to do with the guy that Brenda and the team practically left to die in last years’ premiere?

4. Mr. Furley says:

He’s going to play a Lawyer?
    Now we will REALLY get see how well he does evil!!!! ;-)

5. Connie says:

Oh Matt, aren’t you clever? Save her Bacon…Kevin, of course!

6. Corinne says:

Why do you phrase the title as a question, but put the answer (via a picture) on the main page?

7. maggie says:

I am so sad that The Closer is coming to an end. I look forward to seeing Brenda & company every summer. I wonder how many of the cast members they are going to keep for the spinoff?

8. Charles J says:

Just because it was written that Jacob would be Brenda’s lawyer, doesn’t mean anything. It’s just a name. The choice is hers, always has been.

9. Tego Livi says:

Pellegrino is hot and a terrific actor, and I love his water too.

10. GW says:

Mark Pellegrino will make the show so much more awesome!! Love this news! He was brilliant as Lucifer and Jacob in the two best tv shows of all time – Supernatural and Lost!

11. John B. says:

I am also a big fan of the Closer. I have watched it since it’s inception! I would love to see Ray Wise character again before the end of the series! I loved him in Reaper & Psyche. He was such a great character especially in Pope family custody situation. I also would love to see Jason O’Mara & Billy Burke again! I will truly miss her getting her confessions… Nobody does it better!!!

12. Jazino says:

Love the lawyer here more than I did when he was on Lost! He is gorgeous