SYTYCD Recap: Grieving Las Vegas

Everyone knows it’s next to impossible to gamble in Las Vegas and come home a winner, and that rule most definitely applied to Wednesday night’s installment of So You Think You Can Dance. The episode kicked off with 160 contestants making their way to Sin City to fight for a spot in the Season 8 Top 20; two hours later, we’d seen the field whittled down to 31 — with torn tonenails, bruised tailbones, shattered egos, and even a diagnosis of diabetes along the way.

Things started jauntily enough with 30-year-old Vegas-round vet Iveta Lukosiute delivering a police lady strip-o-gram to Nigel Lythgoe — complete with phallic nightstick, of course — but within minutes, the emotional roller coaster was had me whipping around a bend, hanging upside down, clutching the safety bars, and whimpering for my mommy: We had Debbie Allen righteously railing against a hideous hand-painted unitard; we had Wadi Jones defying gravity with a B-Boy routine that had me gasping and cheering; we had sister act Sasha and Natalia Mallory performing a fierce routine to an Adele track (and making Ms. Allen spontaneously holler, “All right, girls! Now that’s what I’m sayin!”); and we had unexplained exits for some of my favorite Season 8 auditioners, including Irish stepper Mary Kate Sheehan (awww!), bowtie-wearing Patty Anne Miller (really?!), Japanese dancing robot Hero McRae (wha?!), and air-traffic controller Samara “Princess Lockeroo” Cohen (noooo!). And that was all in the first 20 minutes!

To me, the too, fast too furious pacing of the Vegas episode makes it one of the least satisfying of the SYTYCD season — even with fabulous Mama Bear Debbie in her Boca Raton retirement community cap behind the judges’ table — so instead of giving you a rote recitation of every muscle cramp, wonky step, last-minute triumph, and tearful goodbye, I’ll give you my picks for the best moments, and a couple of bonus instances of rage/shock/why the face-ness:

* I really dug all the contestant-choreographed group numbers this year, but quite possibly my favorite came from the quintet of Arielle Coker, Natalia Mallory, D.C. Chapman, Dashi Mitchell, and Jordan Cassanova (pictured). The five disparate dancers delivered moments of exciting synchronicity, but allowed for little variances that showed off their individual strengths. As judge Robin Antin put it, she found herself “watching the music through [their] choreography” — and that’s no small achievement.

* Clarice Ordaz’s solo — an outrageously sexy piece with a side of winking humor, set to a dramatic operatic score — may have been the single best bit of dancing from the entire episode. Here’s hoping we haven’t seen the last of her.

* It might be blasphemous for me to say this, but I wasn’t particularly impressed with the solo Natalia Mallory delivered after missing the contemporary round while she was at the hospital, hooked up to an IV drip and getting diagnosed with diabetes. (But, hey, if you can’t be a little below par after being hooked up to an IV drip and getting diagnosed with diabetes, when can you be?) That said, her speech to the judges about why she wanted a place in the Top 20 made for pretty emotional television. The zaftig Natalia talked about how she’s “always been the girl who was bigger than everybody in the class” and tearfully explained how she wanted to share with the SYTYCD audience “an ounce of what I felt this week or whenever I perform.” You know you’re watching something emotional when even Nigel Lythgoe is tearing up. They’re not setting us up to watch girlfriend (or her equally likeble sister Sasha) fall just short of the Top 20, right?

* I also got a kick out of watching B Boys Wadi Brown and Lil O — with respective partners Jordan Cassanova and Jessica Watanabe — sizzle outside their comfort zone on Tyce Diorio’s hot and hormonal Broadway routine. Worth the price of admission for the naughty, end-of-routine pounces alone. (Here’s hoping Tyce brings that much energy to the pieces he choreographs for Season 8’s live rounds, eh?)

* Oh, and I didn’t think it was possible to moonwalk while flat on one’s back, but Wadi’s aforementioned B-Boy solo proved me wrong. I also loved the way he went from a dipping spin into a dangerous-looking flip — the kind of move you might think would only be possible on ice skates — and the weird interlude where he floated across the stage in a combination Russian jig and hip-hop strut.

The aforementioned (and green-haired) Arielle, whose creepy, thrilling Los Angeles audition was my favorite Season 8 moment thus far, looked pretty solid in the contemporary routine, so how come the judges questioned what she could deliver as as a contestant and sent her packing right before the Top 20 (for the second consecutive year)?

My favorite exchange of the episode came as Mistress Deeley questioned Sasha about her sister’s health woes and subsequent trip to the hospital.

Cat: “Did she say ‘what the heck?’ or did she actually swear?”
Sasha: “You know what? This is a family show, so she said ‘What the heck?’.”

So many shots of super-talented Ginnifer Goodwin doppelganger Melanie Moore , and yet not a single extended instance of her actually dancing? This somehow seems borderline criminal, no?

What were your favorite moments from the SYTYCD Vegas rounds? Which cut hurt you the most? Would you like a Top 20 that includes both Mallory sisters, or is one of them destined for a painful last-minute exit? Sound off down in the comments, and for all my summer reality recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Tanya says:

I thought Arielle did good in the contemporary routine too. Didn’t think she’d be sent packing.
    Kind of related topic, does anyone know what is going on with Alex Wong? They gave him a free pass last year after he was injured to return this year to Vegas, but nothing has been said…Any info? Love me some Alex “freaking” Wong!!!

• Eli says:

Alex was still not fit to compete when this season started, so he isn’t joining us this year. Lets all hope we see him again next year.

• JenS says:

I read somewhere that he’s still not medically cleared to compete.
      I was really disappointed to see Arielle go, too.

• djm says:

I hope they never bring Alex back – as a contestant. If they want to bring him back as an all-star I am fine with that, but to let him be a contestant again, after already establishing a fan base on the show would be unfair to the other contestants. But, knowing Nigel he’ll let him back on so he can say his show is what launched his career.

• Mikos says:

Saw some video of Alex doing a demonstration routine for some dance workshop I think, and he’s definitely able to dance. He just might not be up to the very serious demands this show puts on a dancer.

Also, agree with Slezak, Melanie “needs to be shown freaking dancing” Moore!

2. Katy says:

Oh come on, you totally know they’re going to put Sasha and Natalie up against one another as the last two girls tonight. They did it with Ryan and Evan Kasparak(sp?) in season 5, why not with these two?

• Saracen Riggins says:

Oooo… good point.

• Vicki H says:

Yes, I agree, and honestly, letting her get that far and then saying no, is going to be so much more crushing than cutting her earlier.

• Tara says:

Oh no doubt – I knew the moment they let her through the ballroom round that she was being set up to be paired with her sister at the end for a “Which one will stay and which one will go” scenario. And I think it’s safe to say that Sasha will be the one to continue on.

• djm says:

They will put them up against each other and Sasha is on the show. I haven’t heard if Natalie made it, but Sasha did, so something tells me Natalie will be back next season.

3. Michelle says:

Like Natalia Mallory, I am also a big girl, and I am personally happy whenever I see anyone of a particular group defy the odds and break some barriers. However, in this case, I don’t think Ms. Mallory’s dancing was even close to being strong enough to be put ahead of other dancers who were cut. Like you, Michael, I was heartbroken when I saw Arielle cut — her first audition was one of my top choices as well. With any of these shows, I always try to remind myself that I am seeing edited bits and pieces and who knows what went on that I didn’t see. But what I didn’t see was a *single* dance from Ms. Mallory that showed the technical skill of other dancers. Joy and heart and guts yes. In buckets. But is she as strong a dancer? I’m sorry — in my opinion, she just isn’t. Still, I wish her much good luck; both sisters seem like real sweethearts.

• Hanoverfiste says:

On a high note from left field what about the Professor? He is straight from nowhere and smack dab into my top 20.
      Indubitably, indeed.

• Katiecat says:

The professor is adorable – I like him very much. I will also miss Arielle and I think that whole ‘We aren’t sure what you will bring to the competition’ is really lame and unfair. I am a bit confused because I am not sure who was the girl who was cut for the 5th time – I didn’t think she deserved that at all.

• Tor says:

She is an amazing dancer. Not just bringing “heart & guts” but technical perfection and a passion that surpasses many on the sytycd stage. There is no question in my mind that she choreographed the group dance. She got the talent, the heart and the technique it’s time to see beyond the physical.

• Joseph says:

Natalia may have choreographed a piece but this is not So You Think You Can Choreograph , rather this is a dance show and she lacked extension and power in her movement.

• McFudge says:

You and Michelle are correct. She’s nowhere near as good as some other dancers who were cut. Her movements were kind of floppy, if you know what I mean. I don’t mean to be harsh, I’m sure she’s a very nice girl, but it would be ridiculous to allow someone that heavy to compete and expect a partner to be able to lift her without hurting himself. Thinking of her as “good for her weight” is kind of patronizing and isn’t a good reason to keep her around.

• Joseph says:

We have seen normal size women on the show with Donyelle of season 2 being a prime example but she was also athletic and if you look at some of her clips you will see that she is skinny compared to Natalia who lacks the ability to match the other dancers in technique.

• Jen says:

I’m glad you think this, because I share your opinion. I thought she was a wonderfully sweet girl, very mature for her age, and clearly has a lot of talent. I also am a big girl, and for me, by pointing out her physique every time she is in front of the camera, it crosses a line and becomes insulting. I was so tired of listening to them pander to her. She should be there for the quality of her dance, period, not the quality of her dance for a big girl.

4. Kaci says:

According to his Twitter feed, he wasn’t back to tip top shape in time for the auditions/Vegas week, so he isn’t competing this year. No word yet on whether he’ll try out for season nine.

5. T says:

Favorite Vegas Moments:

Seeing Debbie Allen back on the judging panel! “I don’t want to see it again!”

Sasha Mallory dancing the Yellow contemporary routine with Professor Loc! It looked like a completely different routine than when the others did it! So intimate and emotional!

Cat comforting Ryan Ramirez telling her that “if it hurts, you have to stop,” and hugging her.

Seeing Jaimie Goodwin and Robert Roldan giving Ryan Ramirez a crash course on choreography. (Seeing Jaimie there just made the Vegas round for me. She is so talented!)

I agree, though, that tiny clips of Melanie Moore, and none of her dancing, makes me feel as though I am missing out. Also, feel like we majorly missed out in seeing only two seconds of Sasha’s solo at the end. Looked amazing!

6. jim says:

Why do they insist on rushing thru the Call back segment of the process? I wanted to see the solo routines they did prior to the eliminations. After all there had to be 20-30 memorable performances.

• T says:

Agreed! I would have loved to see more of the group rounds. All we heard was how great they were! I want to see how great!

7. cmp says:

The story is so heartwarming and Natalia gets an A+ for effort, passion and enthusiasm but is she good enough to be in the top 20? God no. Much better dancers were sent home for the sake of a suspenseful story line. Overall the show has been terrific and I can’t wait until the real contest begins. Why is Nigel afraid to let the AI judges give constructive criticism like they do on this show?

8. Carrie says:

It’s absolutely a set up to have Sasha go through ad Natalia get cut. TBQH her dance wasn’t as strong as some o the others for a few rounds (her jive was underwhelming, like her sister’s), she was being given bonus points for being bigger. Honestly, if she didn’t have a sister there I’m not sure that she’d made it as far a she did. Certainly, the comments the judges made during the Jive (about the partner being able to lift her) suggest they wouldn’t put her through because those concerns would haunt them all season and I can’t see them dumbing down choreography to get around the issue

• T says:

I do agree that Natalia, while inspiring, is not bringing as much to the table as other contestants.
      Re: the lifting situation. I thought the judges comments were unnecessary. They have had a girl with a body before – Donyelle Jones in season 2 – and they partnered her with someone who was able to lift her confidently. It’s really all about casting, I think. Something Nigel & Co could absolutely make work, if they chose to.

• Carrie says:

Unnecessary, perhaps, but it’s how they think. Also, the dance has increased in complexity since S1/S2. Like a lot of reality shows, there are contestants in first seasons that wouldn’t have made the cut later on. Would Donyelle have made it in S8? IDK.

• T says:

Carrie, I was just pointing out that I believe physical body type can be worked with, regardless of what it is.

• Lyndsey says:

She’s smaller than Kirstie Alley was when she started Dancing with the Stars & Kirstie was one of the best at the Latin routines. Even before she lost a ton of weight Maks was lifting her. So if a 60 year-old woman with no dance experience could handle it, I think an 18 year-old trained dancer will do just fine! She is such an inspiration to young girls!

9. Magically Suspicious says:

I thought maybe I was half asleep when I watched because I don’t really know anything about the remaining contenders. It seems like they rushed it a lot this year. There was no time to get to know the dancers. I can’t say I’m pulling for or against anyone because, with a couple of exceptions, I don’t know enough to like or dislike anyone.

• Drew says:

I completely agree! I know the Mallory sisters and Ryan because of their medical maladies. I know a few of the B-Boys because they made a big deal about them. But no one really matters to me…Except Arielle!!!!!!! And Chase, and China, and Patty Anne, and Hiro…This is the summer of missed opportunities already.

10. Saracen Riggins says:

Ugh. Still heartbroken over Arielle. I really, really hope she comes back next year. But I don’t know – she seemed pretty defeated, poor girl.
    I love Natalia. But I’m with ya, Michael. Her post-hospital solo wasn’t really impressive, as much as I wish it were.
    LOVED seeing Robert dance! I miss him. I hope he’s an all-star later this season!
    And am I the only one who isn’t a huge fan of Ryan Ramirez? Or Jordan “I’m innocent, yet I barely ever wear clothes” Cassanova?

• T says:

I could not believe Arielle got cut after the beautiful job she did and that guy who lost his temper Season 4 got to stay…

• Terry says:

I thought Arielle was going to make it through… so did she… I don’t get it and Debbie Allen didn’t really offer much of an explanation, seemed kinda cold actually.

• kyrjar says:

Agreed. Not a fan of Jordan. Sexy dancing doesn’t have to be skanky. Also Ryan was just on the Glee finale and seems to be a bit of a professional plant. Her dancing, while excellent, did not move me anywhere near as much as Arielle’s.

The show has slowly become about near-professional and national award-winning dancers rather than the hidden gem dancers given a chance.

• Jaybelle says:

That’s funny – cos for me there’s a freshness about the joy she seems to take in her own body and life force and her uninhibited direct gaze that isn’t the least bit sleazy!
        (Such an improvement on ‘our’ Jordan in the UK – a troll the word skank might have been coined for.)

• postsalot says:

The show was never supposed to be about excluding professional dancers or finding hidden gems.
        If you’re good enough to be on this show, you are probably a widely known quantity in some area of the dance world.
        At the very least, good enough for sytycd = good enough to get hired as a dancer and why would they require their contestants to be amateurs? This isn’t like idol, you have to work hard and long hours to become a quality dancer.

• Tuzo says:

That’s one of the great things about this show — all of the contestants have incredible skills. You can see all the time and effort they have put in to nurturing their talent.

11. Jake says:

I have really loved this season of SYTYCD so far, and enjoyed last night’s episode. But I agree with Slezak, it was way too rushed – can’t they expand it into two nights? American Idol Vegas week can be much more easily condensed into one episode than SYTYCD.

Natalia does not deserve to be in it based on dancing alone. Her jive was really bad – the footwork was slow and sloppy and lacked any sort of “bounce.” And somehow it is unfair for her to get a free pass through the most difficult day of the competition. I think she is a good dancer and I admire her for sticking with it despite not having a ridiculously perfect body like most of the other dancers, but she is simply not as good as many of the dancers who went home last night, including Arielle and Alexis. My guess is they will cut her tonight over health concerns. If she makes the Top 20 she will get a strong sympathy vote that will carry her much farther than she deserves to go in the competition.

And Slezak is right about Clarice Ordaz’s solo: incredibly graceful and elegant but very sexy at the same time. She is one of those dancers that makes it look effortless – where has she been so far this season??

• seattlejohn says:

I also think Natalia will be cut tonight…transitioning from a new diagnosis of diabetes involves body and mind changes, developing over time new habits and behavior and adjusting to medicines and treatments…it would probably be a legal sticking point with the show if they really push Natalia in the top-20 and her health suffers from it…I think Sasha will get through and the show can be seen as being supportive of different body types and against diabetes while championing self health care…which is my guess as to why the sisters got so much airtime in the first place

12. Christina says:

It does seem like they’re rushing an awful lot through the Vegas rounds this year. I wouldn’t be surprised tonight when the top 20 is named that there will be 5-7 dancers that we’ve sen nothing from yet. Arielle’s cut definitely was the most surprising. Not sure what happened there.
    My biggest laugh of the night though has to be Jeremiah Hughes. That guy has auditioned between the American and Canadian versions of this show 4-5 times now and hasn’t made it. You’d think by now he would realize that they don’t want him on the show.
    And the final tibit that stood out to me, Robin Antin is the most useless judge they’ve ever had on this show. I had forgot about her I think for a full hour last night, and then saw her face and thought ‘oh yeah she’s there.’ Nigel I don’t see what you see in her as a judge.

• T says:

I don’t feel like Vegas week is much different from past seasons. They keep it fast-paced every year. I remember, specifically in Season 3 that there were several dancers through to the Top 20 that we had barely seen prior to that point, including the eventual winner! It would be great if we could see more, though!

• Lime says:

T, I was just going to say that! I remember when they announced the top 20 in S3, there was this tiny girl with a ‘fro and I said, “who’s that?” Turned out to be Sabra! And she won the whole darn thing.

• Mikos says:

Same with Jeanine on season 5. I’d say at least half the dancers will be one’s we’ve never seen or just barely in a montage.

13. madeleine says:

Arielle? Isn’t she the one who wailed, “oh why does this always happen to ME”? oh no, uh uh, not her for the show.

• kyrjar says:

Dancers storming off during group rounds is about the worst thing that can happen during Vegas. One sentence played over and over again doesn’t mean she doesn’t get a moment to be upset. I’d rather focus on the fact that they pulled the obviously-emotional guy back in in a positive way AND overcame lack of practice with Natalia being ill. All to deliver a fantastic group performance.

14. Riz says:

Whenever Tyce is on the judges panel, I can not even focus on the dancers, because I have such a dislike for that man. I cringe every time I have look at him and his ridiculous facial expressions. And oh boy when he opens that mouth of his – forget about it.

15. SYCTYD fan says:

Fan of Nigel in general but the judges panel is terrible. Tyce is always annoying and who cares about Robin who created the Pussycat dolls. Still I’d rather Tyce be on the judges panel than choreographing. They’re going toward the near-professional dancers let’s hope they get some decent choreographers.

16. lauren says:

I was a bit annoyed that Natalia was allowed to stay while Alexis was sent packing – while Natalia is a beautiful and expressive dancer…her solo was not good! Alexis’s second solo was just as good as any of the people who stayed on. Very annoying, Nigel.

17. T says:

I’m sad Hero McRae didn’t even make it halfway through Vegas week and I was actually pretty surprised they cut Chase Thomas I thought he was pretty good. I’m really hoping Natalia and Virgil make it. However, my guess is that the 2 vying for the final spot will be the sisters and it’ll go to Sasha. Check out my recap here:

18. Risti says:

I find it really interesting that for all the attention paid to Sasha and Natasha (and really, did anyon else even get a backstory this episode besides these two?) no one is mentioning the ‘elephant in the room’ so to speak — that Sasha spent seven months last year touring as a dancer to Adam Lambert. I’m not saying this makes her better or even more qualified than any other dancer, but it’s a cross promotional moment I can’t believe the show isn’t taking advantage of. If Sasha makes it to the Top 20 (and I think she will), well, I imagine you’ll see the Glamberts come out in full force to support her (much the way they did for Sutan in Ru Paul’s Drag Race — only in this show, they’ll actually get to vote).

• Lou says:

Uncle Nigel knows exactly what Sasha’s background is, which is why so much attention was given to her and her sister. The judges know everyones’ work history. He’s milking it, but I don’t mind and I’m sure Sasha will be in the top 20.

• gazebo says:

OMG I didn’t even make that connection with Sasha being Adam’s dancer! And I saw it in concert! Good for her, and yes, I will be rooting for her.

• laurieb says:

Sasha is a very good dancer, we seen that while she was on tour with Adam Lambert last year and she definitely has my vote!

19. robin says:

Arielle really did looked stunned when she got cut – and so was I. I have no idea why they don’t give us more of Vegas week. I’d watch another two hour segment for sure – give us more solos and help us understand why some of these people are cut. So. Sad. About Arielle.

Honestly, I predict they put both sisters through. Yes, I remember all too well the heartbreak that was the Kasprzaks of season 5. But then they put through a married couple. I kind of think the outrage might have softened Nigel’s cold heart…

20. mary says:

I think Sasha is a very talented dancer and if she makes it into the top 20 good for her. On the other hand her sister is good, but not great. There were dancers that were let go that deserved to stay over Natalie. I don’t agree with the judges decision to keep her as long as they did. It is not my decision to make, but it will be soon!!

• laurieb says:

As much as I think Natalie is a sweet girl and good dancer, the reality of this situation is that it isnt fair to partner her with someone else who is vying for the win. That puts unfair pressure on whatever partner she gets paired with.SYTYCD cannot keep her paired with the same person each week, as this is def an unfair advantage. Isnt the premise to be partnered with different people each week to show diveristy? Its not cruel its just reality, and as many have said that she still needs to work on her dancing skills to be as polished as the others are at this time. If she makes into the top 20 I will root for her and wish her well.

21. MA says:

I miss Arielle already and have no idea what that exchange with Debbie Allen was all about. Melanie, Sasha, and Wadi are my faves so far…and also that woo-guy. (I forget his name.)

Natalia is charming, incredibly sweet and likeable, and has a great story, but she just doesn’t have strong enough skills. She’s only 18, right? Better to let her train some more and come back strong than push her through to a competition where she’d be way out of her league (I hope that’s what they do, anyway). Same with Chyna and Alexis.

And did anyone else expect Debbie to start in with “You want fame! Well, fame costs, and right here is where you start paying!” (and then slam Adam’s crutch on the floor) when that krumper started crying? No? Just me, then.

• postsalot says:

MA, I can assure you tons of folks think that everytime she’s on the show. I think the judges panel was even expecting her to go there.
      But yeah, Adam’s crutch would have made it just perfect lol.

22. Steph says:

I think every single one of my favorite contenders from the auditions were cut last night. There was about 10 of them that I wanted to go through and not one of them did. So yeah, I wasn’t very happy after watching last night’s episode. I WAS happy to see my fave Robert Roldan again, however. That was a nice surprise.

23. scotyutah says:

On one hand, I’m glad SYTYCD has blasted through the audition process so quickly. I’d rather view the dancers going forward without any preset bias generated from excessive backstories. On the other hand, so many of the dancers this season have shown phenominal athleticism and mind blowing moves that many times I was left wanting to see more. A lot more. I think this top 20 crew is going to be really strong and a helluva lot of fun to watch.

• Jenks says:

Maybe that was Uncle Nigel’s strategy — leave us wanting more so we’ll watch the show. I am definitely beginning to think the lack of Melanie Moore was intentional — now EVERYONE is itching for more of her! Either that or he was afraid her fan base would get so huge before the show even starts that it will be a runaway.

24. Karen says:

I have to say….I enjoyed the fast pace of the episode. Don’t need it all dragged out over 3 or 4 more weeks.

25. Heather says:

Arielle was definitely the cut that killed me…I was as shocked as she was. She was SO great in that audition and I didn’t see anything wrong with that contemporary, and her partner got through….WHY THE FACE???

26. baby laura says:

where’s the Lacey, where’s the Chelsie, where’s the Lauren (either of them? Where’s the Kent, where’s the Courtney. All of these lit up the stage from the first 5 seconds of their auditions and were exciting all the way through the auditions. This year I have no favorites because No one has “Lit it up”. SYTYCD is my favorite reality show but this year has been a yawner so far. OMG they even cut the little blond ‘weird’ chick from Idaho.

27. Stephanie says:

I have a questions someone out there may know: Where do the groups get these costumes for their group numbers? Are there costumers on board for them, or do people go out and buy 3-5 sets of matching clothes just in case they would fit their other group members?

For example, the first group that danced the 2 men had matching black button down tops, the girls had red boy shorts and black halters, all the same. Some groups have matching outfits, some don’t. Just wondering. Thanks.

28. OK says:

Melanie is still my favorite so far, even though we didnt’ get to see much of her. Jess is kind of irritating already.

Also, what was Nigel talking about? This show is also known for favoring guys, just because there’s been women winners doesn’t mean it doesn’t. 4 guys and 3 girls have won in the series. The runner-ups have mostly been guys. That was just strange to me when he said it..

29. Tuzo says:

I’m so disappointed to see Arielle go. For me, her audition will be one of the most memorable moments of the season. I’m sure it will stick with me after this season is long gone.

30. Nathalie says:

I find Tyce Diorio hard to take at the best of times. But he totally turned me off when he was watching Natalia dance. He made no effort to mask his complete disgust. His lack of professionalism was astounding. Why is he on this show again? Surely there are as qualified as he,with a more pleasant personality. Snark has no place in dance.