Emmys

Emmys 2011: A Look at the Lead Drama Actress Race — Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

In 2010, the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series seemed destined to go to Julianna Margulies for The Good Wife. Everybody said so. Apparently everybody but the Emmy voters, that is. They decided instead, that after her fifth nomination, it was The Closer’s Kyra Sedgwick who finally deserved to win. This year the big buzz surrounds Mad Men’s Elisabeth Moss. Come award night, will she or some other fresh face have the statuette in their hand? Or will Margulies, again a seeming frontrunner, claim it this time? Or someone else patiently waiting their turn? Here’s our analysis of the standouts competing to get a nod.

More Emmy Races In Review: Outstanding Drama Series | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Outstanding Comedy Series | Outstanding Reality-Competition Program

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then vote below for who you think are the six best. And check back Friday for our preview of the Outstanding Lead Drama Actor race!

Tags:

Comments (620)

• Sad, but I haven’t watched any of these shows.

Comment by djm – June 9, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That IS quite sad. Big reality tv fan?

Comment by Esta – June 9, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What is with the condescending tone? Because someone doesn’t watch what the critics do, they must only watch trashy television. There are genuinely good shows on television that aren’t listed above. Maybe you should stop letting other people determine your taste for you and make some decisions for yourself.

Comment by Kris – June 9, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • WOW! lighten up people!

I’d have replied the same thing. It IS quite sad that djm hasn’t watched any of those shows listed above. Although I also realize some of those shows are not worth watching (Covert Affairs, Bones, L&O:SVU, Body of Proof,…), but the actresses do a superb job on them.

And asking if he/she’s a reality tv fan…it was hilarious!
          I don’t think it was meant as mean or anything.
          You guys take everything so personally… LIGHTEN UP!

Comment by tamara – June 9, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • bones is worth watching..forever worth watching

Comment by kp – June 9, 2011 05:17 PM PDT
          • DOn’t say anytinhg bad about bones!!!
            Bones is great!

Comment by arsra – June 10, 2011 03:26 PM PDT
          • Ummmmm… Don’t say anything about Bones! IT’s freaking great! So BACK OFF MY BONES! are we good? :)

Comment by Temperance – June 11, 2011 06:05 PM PDT
          • Bones rocks!

Comment by Sarah – June 13, 2011 09:12 AM PDT
          • Bones is awesome. Dont knock it. Ha. ED is winning in this poll. Must tell you something. Great actors. Great writing.

Comment by Dani – June 14, 2011 11:59 PM PDT
          • BONES is one of the best shows EVER! What are u talking about? Emily definitely deserves a nomination this year!!! Love Emily

Comment by AP – June 21, 2011 12:43 AM PDT
          • Bones is just Fringe without JJ Abrams’ input

Comment by Vagenda – June 22, 2011 06:28 AM PDT
      • Was that snarky remark really necessary?

Comment by V – June 9, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Where is Lisa Edelstein on this list of Best TV DRAMA Actresses. Seriously annoyed she gets overlooked especially this season where she WAS the lead actress and the lead actor Hugh Laurie’s counterpart through out season 7! WTF people???

Comment by catherine – June 9, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should totally watch Fringe, if you like good Sci-fi this show is for you :)

Comment by Spikey – June 10, 2011 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you like breathing this is good for you. Fringe is love. :D

Comment by Grace – June 10, 2011 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fringe is such an amazing show!!! I don’t like sci-fi, but I LOVE FRINGE!!!

Comment by Sarah – June 13, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Fringe is the best show I’ve ever watched! I’m so happy that Anna is second in the poll (although should be first), love her acting, love the show

Comment by Were – June 16, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emily Deschanel is the best and deserved to win the award for best actress

Comment by anna – June 15, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes she is and she really deserves an Emmy

Comment by andrea – June 28, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emily Deschanel is the best and deserved to win the award for best actress

Comment by anna – June 15, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Vote for Fringe !!

Comment by Jesss – June 16, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Went with Lauren Graham, Emmy Rossum, Julianna Margulies, Piper Perabo, Kathy Bates, and Anna Paquin, though its close for me between Emmy and Julianna, I have to give it to Julianna

Comment by Bobby – June 9, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Although it would be quite funny to see Emmy win an Emmy :)

Comment by Emily – June 9, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Britton, Graham, Margulies, Torv, Moss & Enos.

Comment by Dick Whitman – June 9, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa Edelstein of course! To me she’s (or was)the LEAD actress on House.

Comment by stef – June 9, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word. THIS LIST IS INVALID ;)

Comment by Alicia – June 9, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She has never been LEAD actress, get over it. Nor does she deserve an Emmy.

Comment by Liz – June 9, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen to that, Liz. Time for her to disappear into obscurity.

Comment by timshel – June 10, 2011 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So maybe her role wasn’t exactly lead, but it was the lead female, especially this season. I think her acting was fantastic this season, my personal favourite actress, and I don’t understand why she isn’t on this list?!

Comment by Molly – June 9, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • because she is one the list as the best “SUPPOTING actress” because that is what she is he is the lead and the rest is submitted as supporting just like TJ THYn from Bones is also listent as supporting and everyone who is one the list from Grey’s except Ellen Pompeo is submitted as supporting.

Comment by Josephine – June 9, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Torv deserves a nomination!

Comment by F – June 9, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone on Fringe… Noble, Jackson… so good

Comment by Elizabeth – June 9, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree with you on that!

Comment by fringeobsessed – June 9, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yeah – Anna Torv needs to be on the ballot this year. Genius character work – I’ve been in awe of her all year.
      Though Connie Britton needs to get ahead of everyone else!

Comment by Alex – June 13, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Torv deserves it this year! She has acted the hell out of everything that has been thrown at her.

Comment by Angie – June 9, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Thrown at her” is right. The things she does on this show. One week she’s giving birth in a china shop, the next she’s impersonating Leonard Nimoy. She has the craziest acting job on this list. And she’s pulling it off admirably.

Comment by Pita – June 9, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed!! anna torv deserves the emmy! she’s proved to be a versatile actress and she delivers extremely credible performances no matter how unreal the challenge may seem (bellivia…). furthermore, the fact that her performance has been overlooked for the past two years should be what finally tips the scales in her favour! julianna margulies is a very fair contender, but this is anna torv’s year, hands down!

Comment by morgana – June 10, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who are all of you people voting for Piper Perabo? Are you voting solely from residual Coyote Ugly love? Because there’s no way people think she should be rewarded for her work on Covert Affairs (although in fairness NO ONE should be rewarded for the televisual abomination that is Covert Affairs)

Comment by Nate – June 9, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that Piper Perabo shouldn’t be on this list, but back off Covert Affairs. Its a great show!

Comment by Justin – June 9, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s really really not. I watch it, but I would never ever rate it or the acting on it as anything better than “tolerable”. Her golden globe nomination should stay the fluke it was.

Comment by Anne – June 9, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emmy lost their credibility when they never nominated Lauren Graham for Gilmore girls. The whole awards are a bad joke to me.

Comment by Lola – June 9, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So Lauren Graham deserved to be the ONLY actress to get nominated from a CW (UPN/WB) show? I didn’t check my facts on this so I could be wrong on a couple instances, but I don’t recall there ever been an actor/actress nominated for their work on these networks.

Comment by Mike – June 9, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, but honestly her and Emily Bishop were robbed of Emmys. They both should have been nominated for there work in Gilmore Girls

Comment by Yasin – June 9, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not a huge fan of most CW/WB shows (many are absurdly plastic) but the fact that the stars of Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, and Buffy never got nominated is just ridiculous. For one, these are some of the only shows portraying complex, well-rounded female characters (at least, teenage females). Kristen Bell was INCREDIBLE as the confident Veronica; Lauren Graham we all know was simply divine as Lorelai (and I think the actress who played her mother could have been nominated too, for giving Emily Gilmore a depth that a lesser actress wouldn’t have found; and even though it wasn’t Buffy’s best season, SMG’s work on season 6 was utterly amazing and heartbreaking.
        So, in conclusion, Emmy is blind to anything that ranges beyond courtroom/medical dramas and that is a real shame.

Comment by Sarah – June 9, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If the Emmy is to reward someone from The CW nowadays with a nomination in this category, it should be Leighton Meester for Gossip Girl… Without bias, I’ve never seen a role such iconic from the network since the days of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Gilmore Girls and 7th Heaven on The WB…

Comment by Missy – June 9, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy Emily Deschanel is on this list; she has been amazing on Bones for years.

Comment by Caroline S – June 9, 2011 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SRSLY.

Comment by Samantha – June 9, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Annika – June 9, 2011 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emily is amazing.

Comment by Emma – June 10, 2011 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree emily deschanel deserves it this year!
      she have been doing an flawless job at bones for 6 years!!!And nevr recived any emmy this year she deservs it!

Comment by arsra – June 12, 2011 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. Emily Deschanel is a superb actress who I enjoy watching.

Comment by Fran – June 15, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Paquin must win! She is amazing in True Blood. Makes us laugh, cry… She is great.
    Of course, it would be really nice if Emily Deschanel & Lisa Edelstein were nominated as well!

Comment by Liz – June 9, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lauren Graham to win!!! Love her as an actress!!!

Comment by katie – June 9, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellen Pompeo and Maggie Q need to be on that list.

Comment by Sabrina – June 9, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yes of course! I forgot Ellen Pompeo!! She is great, and should be nominated.

Comment by Liz – June 9, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maggie Q, yes! If only CW shows were more highly regarded. Nina Dobrev deserves an award too.

Comment by Emily – June 9, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah! Last year, Nina Dobrev was great, but after what she pulled off this season with the two totally different characters she definitely deserves a nomination. The Emmys overlooking at the CW is just so dumb!

Comment by sana – June 9, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Torv! Stop the sci-fi bias, please. Her work has been outstanding.

Comment by FP – June 9, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you that Anna Torv deserves a nomination, but I wouldn’t say that the Emmys are totally biased on sci-fi unless you didn’t consider LOST Sci-fi. Both Michael Emerson and Terry O’Quinn won for their outstanding work on LOST. And Matthew Fox was nominated in the final season. Actresses, though? Maybe not as much. But Elizabeth Mitchell was nominated for her “GUEST” re-appearance in season 6.

But yeah, Fringe needs some love this year with LOST out of the equation. The show had a fantastic 3rd season and more attention to it certainly wouldn’t hurt! I’m hoping for nominations for at least Best Drama and acting nods for John Noble and Anna Torv. We’ll see!

Comment by Mike – June 9, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And Joshua Jackson.

Comment by Peter Bishop – June 9, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed, Josh is amazing too. My fave episode this season is Entrada. He NAILED it.

Comment by Aimee – June 9, 2011 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch many of these actresses and think they have been amazing this year, including Julianna Margulies. Any other year I’d say she deserves to win, however no one has done what Anna Torv did on Fringe this year. She deserves to be nominated at the very least. Winning would be justified but if she doesn’t get nominated…I’ll just have to believe the Emmy voters are oblivious.

Comment by May – June 9, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT ?? No Stana Katic ?
    Have you even watched Castle this season ? Because you did, you should have put Stana Katic to the list ! She was perfect this year !!!!

Comment by MCO – June 9, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Castle and Stana, but Castle only had a few really outstanding episodes this season.

Anna Torv on Fringe has been on top of her game all season, and deserves a nomination. I dream for a win, but the chances of me meeting my alternate from another universe are higher…

Comment by Aimee – June 9, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love stana and nathan! And castle! I think they should have at least, made it on the list, but best that they deserve emmys!

Comment by Glenda Shearman – June 5, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly.
      That season finale was flawless!

Comment by Lorena – June 9, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!!!!
      She stepped up her game, even more, this season. Along with her acting ability, she is one of (if not THE BEST) greatest non-verbal actress on primetime. She can say so much with her facial expressions than most actors can with 100 pages of dialogue.

Comment by Dalilla – June 9, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My thoughts exactly. Stana Katic has the best facial expressions of any actress I’ve ever seen. She is amazing and completely deserving of an Emmy.

Comment by ntbos – June 9, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed 100%!!!! There are so many episodes I’ve said she is deserving of an Emmy for and she doesn’t even have to open her mouth. You all just took the words right out of my mouth. Stana seriously needs to be on this list.

Comment by Caitlin – June 10, 2011 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Stana deserve to be there, she was incredible this season. She mad me laugh out load and cry depending on the scene. Plus she really owned her character, with a facil expression you could see so much emotion or depth.

Comment by Pau – June 9, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totaly agree with You:)
      Beckett rules !!!!!! :D

Comment by Myspace1529 – June 9, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m “Team Beckett” all the way!! : )

Comment by Stanatic – June 9, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I TOTALLY AGREE. STANA KATIC IS JUST AMAZING!

Comment by Jessica – June 11, 2011 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just about to post the same thing. It’s ridiculous that Stana Katic was left off this list.

Comment by Heather – June 13, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OH MY GOD I KNOW RIGHT??????????? The fact that stana is not nominated has put me off the emmys :(
      But even so GOOO EMILLYYYYYY <3 She's awesome too :D But Stana Katic is the best anytime! <3

Comment by Aiswarya – June 20, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Torv , no question .

Comment by Real1 – June 9, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a big fan of Connie Britton, Lauren Graham, and Anna Torv getting a nod, but I had to write in Nina Dobrev. Sure, it’s a CW show, but she blew me away as Elena/Katherine. I often forgot they were the same actress!

Comment by Melissa Miller – June 9, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    Anna Torv
    Anna Torv
    Anna Torv

Comment by MACK – June 9, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paget Brewster for sure. After an episode like “Lauren,” how could she not.

Comment by Gaby – June 9, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think people realize how the emmy nomination process works.

Ballots with all of the qualified entries are mailed to academy members. Each peer group member votes in his own category — performers for performers, directors for directors — and everyone votes in the program categories, such as best comedy series and best miniseries.

So, as much as I want Anna Torv to be nominated, the truth is that probably not enough people in her peer group even know who she is. Unfortunately, it’s name actors that people vote for, those who are in the public eye and are well known. Which she isn’t. Thankfully we have the CCTA who have a brain and see talent over names. That awards show is going to make the EMMYS look dated in a nano second.

Comment by karl – June 9, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sad to see that if you are low profile in real life, your Emmys chances are slim even if your work warrants kudos.
      My problem with the Emmys voting process is that when do the others performers get the time to actually watch the shows?? They are all working in television, that means crazy schedules and few time off. That doesn’t make sense. So they probably vote on word of mouth more then anything else. Meh.
      It should be a committee devoted to the task (majors critics included) that votes for these things. That’s why the CCTA list is so right on this year.

Comment by Pita – June 9, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KATEY SAGAL! Gemma kicks booty on SOA. Greatest show on TV.

Comment by Kate – June 9, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! I’m not sure that Maggie Siff shouldn’t be in this category as well. She’s becoming more and more of a lead actress as well and both she and Katey are fantastic!

Comment by alr – June 9, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I swear CBS are so desperate for an EMMY they have their staff voting on these polls. Anna Torv for the win!

Comment by steeper – June 9, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted Kathy Bates, Anna Torv, Julianna Margulies, Dana Delaney, Emily Deschanel and Lauren Graham. And the Emmy should go to either Anna or Julianna. They’re on my 2 favorite drama series on TV from last season. But in the end I think it would be great to see Aussie Anna Torv win it for playing Olivia in Fringe. The show had an absolute stellar season, and should also get a best drama series nomination. As should The Good Wife which had some of the best writing I have ever seen on TV.

Comment by Roy – June 9, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STANA KATIC “CASTLE”

Comment by Gigi – June 9, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN!!! Why isn’t the great Stana Katic in this? she a great actress

Comment by Cristina – June 10, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally Agree!!! Why she isn’t there!

Comment by Chandramas – June 13, 2011 03:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s gotta be Julianna. I’m hoping for a Good Wife sweep this year but I’m guessing that Archie will lose to Michelle Forbes.

Comment by sarah – June 9, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The lack of love for Connie Britton in these comments makes me sad. She’s incredible and had an AMAZING final season. The last few episodes were some of her best ever.

Comment by Allie – June 9, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emmy Rossum and Connie Britton of course! Both did a fantastic job and I really hope they will get their nomination.

Comment by Ella – June 9, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    ANNA TORV
    ANNA TORV

Comment by quantumx – June 9, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      ANNA TORV ANNA TORV ANNA TORV
      ANNA TORV ANNA TORV ANNA TORV
      ANNA TORV ANNA TORV ANNA TORV
      ANNA TORV ANNA TORV ANNA TORV
      ANNA TORV ANNA TORV ANNA TORV
      ANNA TORV ANNA TORV ANNA TORV

Comment by jon – June 11, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emmy Rossum, Anna Torv and Julliana Margulies hands down!
    Elisabeth Moss and Lauren Graham had a great year too :D

Comment by Mafalda – June 9, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana Katic “Castle”
    This season showcased her talents. If she can only submit one performance . . . . send in the season finale “Knockout”!
    It’s time for the award shows to branch out and stop with the same nominee’s time and time again. Especially when others who are deserving don’t get recognition. (I.E: Sarah Michelle Geller should have 2 Emmys at least for Buffy, if it were on a big network she would have.)

Comment by Vivienne – June 9, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed- top to bottom of your comment, Vivienne. SMG should have been given the recognition she deserved from the Emmy panel. But because “Buffy” was on a smaller network and considered a “genre” show…

Anyway, Stana Katic should have been on this list, and especially on the official one. She shined on this past season of “Castle.”

Comment by ann – June 9, 2011 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emily Deschanel is more than deserving for her excellent acting on Bones for the last 6 seasons.

Comment by L. – June 9, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lucy Lawless in “Spartacus” was *amazing*! But that show will never get Emmy love. It’s Julianna Margulies in a lock.

Comment by Leigh – June 9, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like that Anna Torv is listed but where is Regina King? She does great in every seasonof Southland and in particular, ‘Sideways’ from this past season she was exceptional. More Southland love, please.

Comment by Kristina – June 9, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Regina King does great, I agree. And she submitted herself for supporting actress. I would be shocked if tvline omitted her when they get around to doing that category.

Comment by Amber – June 9, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Kathy Bates get a nomination! She deserves it!

Comment by max – June 9, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emily’s work on Bones this year was incredible! She deserves at least a nomination. And Lauren Graham’s work has always been great.

Comment by Samantha – June 9, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Connie Britton and Jeanne Tripplehorn deserve this.

Comment by Eve – June 9, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since no one’s said it yet, I’m going to step up and pledge my love for Elisabeth Moss, Peggy Olsen, and the brilliance of everything that was “The Suitcase” this year. Best Emmy submission episode ever.

Comment by John – June 9, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The Emmy race is Elizabeth Moss’ to lose this year. Nothing I’ve seen even comes close to touching “The Suitcase.”

Comment by Yo Mama – June 9, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. The Suitcase was not only one of the best episodes of Mad Men (I say the best), but one of the best television episodes ever. Both Moss and Jon Hamm were absolutely incredible in this episode. They should both get nominated.

Comment by Tom – June 10, 2011 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second the motion!!! Elisabeth Moss FTW…

Comment by Triple M – June 10, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STANA KATIC “CASTLE

Comment by CC – June 9, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana Katic should be on the list!!

Comment by Dawn – June 9, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else sick to death of the popularity contest they call “Emmy”? Maybe if we didn’t see the same nominees each year, it might mean something. Time to consider shows on smaller networks & time to consider shows on the genre fence. A worthy performance should be just as worthy on the CW, for example. Time to realize that “the best” shouldn’t always be “the most popular”.

And, let me add….Lauren Graham for “Parenthood”? Seriously? Whoever left her off of the nominee list for early “Gilmore Girls” needs their head examined. Her new character doesn’t showcase HALF of her talent. And, honestly, this show is the epitome of an ensemble show – she doesn’t even belong in this category.

Comment by Kelly – June 9, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kelly,
      Could not possibly disagree with you more. Anyone who has watched Lauren Graham’s performance this year in Parenthood – in particular the storyline dealing with the father of her children returning – absolutely knows she deserves this. She belongs there. It’s too bad you don’t recognize the incredible range of her acting. Loved her in Gilmore Girls, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t desrve to be nominated for Parenthood. She does!

Comment by Clara – June 9, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree completely, Kelly. I adore Lauren Graham and Lorelai Gilmore remains one of my favorite television characters of all time. But Lauren has been able to showcase her dramatic talents beautifully on Parenthood. She was never really given that opportunity with Gilmore Girls. Through Parenthood, I’ve found that Lauren has one of the most expressive faces and is one of those very few actresses who doesn’t need words to have a conversation– all she needs are her eyes. She’s at her best in those really quiet, emotional moments. The scenes between her and her TV daughter, Mae Whitman, are particularly amazing.

I will agree with you that it’s an ensemble show. She might be better suited for a Supporting Actress category (mostly because I don’t know how I’d possibly be able to choose between her and Connie Britton), but I think she’s absolutely worthy of ANY nomination she’d receive.

Comment by Allie – June 9, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with all of your post, Allie. except for the part about the lead actress category. Ensemble shows can have lead actresses, and that is exactly what Lauren is (w/ Peter Krause as lead actor). She deserves this so much, I really hope her talent is someday rewarded.

Comment by Clara – June 9, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some of those nominees are wonderful, but where is Stana Katic? This year of Castle has been phenomenal and in no small part because of her tremendous acting ability and deep understanding of her character Katherine Beckett. Not having Stana Katic on this list is a glaring oversight.

Comment by Rini – June 9, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Julianna, Anna Torv, Lauren Graham, and Connie Britton should all be nominated imo. I hope Julianna wins. I’m surprised though that Sally Field isn’t in the running for the final season of Brothers & Sisters, along with Lisa Edelstein for her final season of House. Weird. Maybe Lisa is in supporting actually, I don’t know.

Comment by Brittany – June 9, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And PLEASE no nomination for Piper Perabo. I was astounded by her Golden Globe nomination. And not in a good way.

Comment by Brittany Vogel – June 9, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emily Deschannel should win, but I dont think she will get a nod even. Julianne Marguilles deserves to win in that case. Lauren Graham and Kyra both deserve a nod.

Comment by Ingmar – June 9, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that stana katic
    will be cool if she win

Comment by Luiza – June 9, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dana Delany-Body of Proof and then Sarah Shahi-Fairly Legal

Comment by Fernando – June 9, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maggie Q from ‘Nikita’ should definitely be on theis list. She is a phenomenal actress!

Comment by Michelle – June 9, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jennifer Beals – I have no idea if she is any good on “The Chicago Code” but Emmy owes her one for her portrayal of Bette on “The L Word”

Comment by Tracy – June 9, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katey Sagal!!! She’s overdue for her role as Gemma.

Comment by Susan A – June 9, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana Katic from Castle, she was absolutely stunning this season. If anyone deserves even an Emmy nod, it’s her.

Comment by Paige – June 9, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i dont mean to be mean but how does being beautiful affect her acting??

Comment by alisonfaith297 – June 10, 2011 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant her acting was stunning… as in, really good.

Comment by Paige – June 10, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where is our lovely Stana Katic????? What list in their right minds would omit her??? I’ve watched tons of The Good Wife and I just have to say it: Stana blows the perpetually-wooden Julianna Marguiles out of the WATER. This just proves that the Emmys really are favoritist, I guess, because Stana Katic’s talent is massive and she deserves the award more than anybody. VERY disappointing list. I hope Castle actors will stop being snubbed one of these days.

Comment by AK – June 24, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post