Fall TV Preview

Dexter Exclusive: Deadwood Alumna Cast As [Spoiler's] Sister

Ex-Deadwood heroine Molly Parker is headed to Dexter as — drumroll please — someone’s sibling!

But whose?!

TVLine has exclusively learned that Parker will appear in several Season 6 episodes of the Showtime drama as Lisa Marshall, the sister of Colin Hanks’ mysterious new character, Travis. Sounds innocent enough, but details surrounding Parker’s role are scarce — which piques our interest even more.

Exclusive: Dexter “Getting Back to Its Roots” In Season 6

As we first reported, Hanks will appear in all 12 episodes of Dexter‘s sixth season as a brilliant expert on ancient artifacts who somehow becomes linked to a series of grisly murders in Miami. It remains unclear if Travis will turn out to be a friend or foe of a certain Dark Passenger. Either way, as Showtime president David Nevins recently told TVLine, this year’s installment “ is not [about] one big bad.”

Hit the comments with your own Dexter theories about the Marshall Family.

Comments (73)

• Thrilled to see Molly Parker again! It’s going to be weird to see her not wearing a dress with a corset. I really miss Deadwood. I actually have always thought Ian McShane would be a perfect fit for Dexter, too. I wish they would bring him in as a character.

Comment by Amber – June 9, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amber, I could not agree with you more! I loved both of those characters on Deadwood. Ian McShane would make a perfect evil person for Dexter to undertake.

Comment by Connie Fischer – June 10, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t get me wrong, Ian McShane plays great villians and Deadwood ended way way too soon, but having him play a nemesis to Dexter would be too obvious. That’s why Lithgow’s killer was so great. It’s killer next door that makes the Dexter series what it is.

Comment by Tin – June 10, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crap, I wanted her to be Rita’s sister.

Comment by Tavis – June 9, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my thoughts exactly!

Comment by Marlane – June 9, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “my thoughts exactly!”

We don’t give a crap.

Comment by dradixx – June 9, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “We don’t give a crap.”
          dick.

Comment by elly – June 9, 2011 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She even looks like her!

Comment by Mikos – June 9, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She looks like lila… just saying

Comment by jay – June 10, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s what I thought! I was like nooooo! Not the topless english bitche’s sister!!!

Comment by danielle – June 10, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy gueststars, Batman! They are just filling the show with as many guest actors as possible in 12 episodes, aren’t they? As much as I love all of the actors casted, I just want Julia Stiles back….

Comment by wooster182 – June 9, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Julia Stiles is one of the WORST “actresses” (and I use that term loosely;) around!! I am sooo thankful to see them actually getting talent for this season! To go from John Lithgow to Julia Stiles is like going from a Porterhouse to a steak burrito at McDonalds;D

Comment by Erika – June 9, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Couldn’t have said it better myself! WHY does Hollywood keep casting Julia Stiles?

Comment by Aud – June 10, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Julia Stiles has played some good parts. She was excellent in “Mona Lisa Smiles” starring Julia Roberts and other famous actresses. She might have been better in this role if it was written a little differently. I like her.

Comment by weatherjune – June 10, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think you mean from a Porterhouse to a bologna sandwich! Let’s not insult a piece of beef like that.

Comment by Melissa H – June 10, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You can get a steak burrito at McDonalds?

Comment by Guido – June 10, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree.

Comment by Jeri Reiderer – June 10, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Couldn’t agree more! Love the analogy! We’re only halfway through the 5th season, but Julia Stiles’ character annoys me! I still love the show, but get really anxious with her on there…

Comment by Cdizzy – June 10, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mmmm… Steak burrito……*drool*

Comment by Joe – June 10, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Your last name wouldn’t happen to be Christensen would it?

Comment by Joe Camel – June 12, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ME TOO!

Comment by ana muller – June 10, 2011 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh god what why? Shes just awful. Erika’s John Lithgow and Julia Stiles comparison is bang on.

Comment by emileigh – June 10, 2011 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Julia styles almost wrecked the whole show, she was horrible……yuck

Comment by you suk – June 10, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • julia stilies made that show! i mean it was good. it was really good. but the 5th season with her was absolutly amazing, that role must have been so hard to play and she pulled it off better than anyone could have

Comment by julia stiles made the show – June 11, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “This year’s installment is not about one big bad”. Maybe it is about a family of bad guys.

Comment by Amenazamenor – June 9, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i was thinking the same thing! maybe its a brother sister team. maybe Dexter and Deb can team up and take them down lol

Comment by Jake – June 9, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what my first thought was: Brother/sister duo.

But Hanks as an “expert on ancient artifacts?” Sounds wicked cheesy. I envision this going terribly wrong… like “The Mummy.” I don’t see him playing such a serious role. Hopefully he’ll impress me.

Dexter is such a dynamic bad@$$. It doesn’t make sense. The only way to make him intriguing/dark would be to bring him on as a (historically) ritualistic serial killer. I’m thinking “sacrifice?” I see him playing double. He kills ritualistically, Miami seeks out an expert, he aids in “catching the killer.” Only he wouldn’t become a suspect, because he’s helping the PD. Going way out on a limb there, but that’s my best guess.

Here’s my logic. Parker is in “several episodes”, not the whole season. Every major killer has been in every episode. Hanks is in the entire season. There is no way a character with such a rich background is going to outplay the killer. Thus, he’s the killer, she’s an afterthought (maybe she tells him who to kill).

I have faith in the writers. I just hope they aren’t running out of ideas. It’s the only show I am completely addicted to.

Comment by Sassypants – June 10, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe going with the “Dark Passenger” storyline a bit??? Some sort of Dark entity that was with Lumen until the end, and still exists with Dexter? The Dexter book series deals with that aspect a bit more than the tv series…

Comment by Jack – June 11, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congratulations TVLine for another Dexter Exclusive. We cant wait!!!

Comment by JOHN – June 9, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When does Dexter begin? This summer?

Comment by Martha – June 10, 2011 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It should be starting in late september

Comment by Gally – June 10, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • September 26

Comment by Anne – June 11, 2011 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SCREW LUMIN!!!! I’M NEVER GETTING OVER IT!! YAY COLIN HANKS! GOING FROM MAD MEN TO DEXTER!!

Comment by HT – June 9, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t you think Colin was super CREEPY as the priest on Mad Men? I kept expecting him to do something evil with Peggy but it never happened. Colin does creepy very well.

Comment by Diane – June 10, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she looks like Hanks.

Comment by toni – June 9, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just MADE my day!!! Brilliant!!!

Comment by luke – June 9, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news! Molly Parker was also a guest star on Hall’s other series, Six Feet Under. She played Rabbi Ari during season 2. I also loved Parker on Swingtown.

Comment by Vince – June 10, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s just see how it turns out, guys. Personally I liked Lumin, but she is no longer in the equation. Dexter needs to meet up with Claire too.

Comment by Splat – June 10, 2011 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i just figured her being added as colin hanks’ sister was eh, maybe they’d both be a nemesis to Dexter. But now i agree with u lol her as Rita’s sister would so much cooler! :)

Comment by Nikolai – June 10, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this doesn’t mean that the show will be going back to the “roots” of the source material. The show has been SO MUCH better than the books it was based on—and I can’t remember if this pagan stuff was in the 2nd or 3rd, but it really wasn’t that good of a story.

Comment by A – June 10, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOOOVVVVEEE LOVE LOVE DEXTER , I have been a fan since season one, I CAN’T wait for season six, the anticipation is killing me…

Comment by kandice – June 10, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This lady is hideous. She better have a good part. And hopefully not related to dexter at all, in any way even distant. Maybe like someone in the precinct, but other than that … I can’t fathom this weirdo fitting into this normal looking cast of characters.

Comment by fairyprincessnyx – June 10, 2011 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “This lady is hideous.”

And since when did looks define talent?

Comment by Iron criterion – June 10, 2011 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been thinkin’ that Dexter and Deb’s father had several affairs with his CI’s (confidential informant’s) over the years…an unkown sibling may have been (produced) out of one of those affairs…..
      just a thought

Comment by professorsg – June 11, 2011 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks just like Lila. I really hope they’re not digging that storyline back up.

Comment by Jenny – June 10, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • huh?

Comment by Sharon – June 10, 2011 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter is one of the smartest shows on TV. I was worried that Showtime would pull a “Dead Like Me” with Dexter, but now we are going on 6 seasons. I prefer Dexter’s angst, like in season two, to storylines involving people I don’t really care about, like Lumin in the last season. Bring back a character like Lila. She was a crazy bitch.

Comment by Ann – June 10, 2011 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it wern’t for HBO cancelling Deadwood, I never would’ve discovered Dexter. I will never watch another HBO series as long as I live. Bravo Showtime you have the best Shows on TV

Comment by Luke – June 10, 2011 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t pay for HBO anymore either but their output it still miles above Showtime. Especially the historical stuff Showtime does. The “sexy history” is the antithesis of Deadwood. I’m surprised someone who was such a fan could endure it, actually.

Comment by Joe Camel – June 12, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah you all want to complain about Julia but how many episodes did you not watch?none just as i thought

Comment by Denver – June 10, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Before I read the article my thought was that maybe she was Lila’s sister. Molly Parker and Jaime Murray could almost be twins.

Comment by TheDuckPassenger – June 10, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Molly Parker. Been a fan of this fine Canadian actress(actor?)for years..she’s talented,funny,and sexy as hell! Should be a fine addition to the show.Check out some of her movie work on IMDB.
    Lumin was a fascinating character; IMHO,Julia did a wonderful job,consdidering the limitations of the scripts she had to work with.

Comment by RocketJock – June 10, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Lithgow was awesome! He was one of the best guest stars. Fantastic actor! Too bad they can’t bring him back’

Comment by Vikki – June 10, 2011 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s great!!!!!, I love Molly Parker, Spoiler is my favorite character.

Comment by Hernán Guillermo Rojas Calzada – June 10, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! I missed the season finale on season 5 though! I still haven’t seen it! I personally would like Dexter to have a girlfriend or partner that can really be trusted. Rita got on my nerves! Glad she got killed off! He needs a new love interest! Cast me! Lmao!

Comment by babymomma – June 10, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …and he needs to get rid of the kids. They get in the way. I wish they would have stayed with the grandparents.

Comment by Diane – June 10, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still shaking from the John Lithgow season ender! It will be hard to top him as a villain.

Comment by Diane – June 10, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She appears to be asian. Maybe she’s masuka’s ultra conservative dry humor older sister. That would be fun to watch play out. Or if she were a long lost sister that masuka met while she were pole dancing and telling dirty jokes. Juat sayin that masuka needs more naterial. He’s way under utilized

Comment by Tim – June 10, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Dexter’s sister? Since the marriage has dissolved, what’s up with that?

Comment by Doc – June 10, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does everyone keep dogging Lumen. I think they are jealous(haters), she was hot and played a good role. Very excited to see what next season has to offer.

Comment by Paul – June 10, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DEXTER ROCKS!!! I really look foward to each new season. I don’t understand why people dislike Julia Stiles so??? I personally think she did a great job portraying Lumen. I hope she comes back.

Comment by Bonnie – June 10, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish it would just air already! Love the show! Best serial killer ever!

Comment by Girish – June 10, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED the relationship of Lumen & Dexter ! the *love scene* they had was A-PLUS! I want her to come back this season,they worked very well together.Because it is true that *pairs survive better in the wild!* ‘}

Comment by CRISSY U. – June 10, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Julia Stiles rocked on Dexter~~

Comment by janet gunn – June 10, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can think of many people that are great at evil parts. I just want to make sure that Deb isn’t leaving now that she and Dex are divorced in real life. She is excellent in that role and really adds to the show. She’s a kickass woman!

Comment by weatherjune – June 10, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Julia played her character brilliantly! Love dexter cant wait to watch season 6.

Comment by sia – June 10, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks like the writers are going to give another great episode. I hope they fill it with more glimpses of Dexter going from the great pretender to Mr. Bad Ass like he did with Doakes. I love it when he gets tired of his mask when someone annoys him like Quinn and Doakes and you see the menance come out. I also like it that he is never afraid of any situation he finds himself in. But, I really hope they develop his “human” side more also. His range is incredible!

Comment by Debra – June 10, 2011 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • colin hanks…really? he is such a terrible actor! totally miscast in mad men also.

pick someone better!

Comment by postbroadcast – June 10, 2011 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 5 was really boring. Only thing that was a little exciting was Quinn almost finding out Dexter’s real identity. Hope season 6 will be better. It’d be awesome if they’d top season 4, which was the heaviest season of Dexter. I can’t wait to see!!!!!

Comment by Anne – June 11, 2011 01:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I truly love the writing of the production staff…but I wish they would take a page from the books…start training Cody and Aster …they have their own DP after all!!
    Though I guess much of America would freak…love both the show and the source line stories..always look forward to the new book right before the new series starts..gets me in the mood to watch

Comment by Thom – June 11, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am guessing here but perhaps she will be Lila’s Sister, back for revenge……bwhahaha…..

Comment by Deb – June 12, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I get a scene with Mos Def and Alma Garrett then I will be quite pleased.

Comment by Joe Camel – June 12, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this movie remind me that comedy that in 15th century the guy wearing the Rolex wrest watch. this people talk like 21th but playing at 18th. its bring the quality down. keep swearing like down town LA.

Comment by John L Hammer – October 10, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post