TVLine Items: Chloë Sevigny's New Hit, More Doctor Who Ahead, and Other News to Know

Chloë Sevigny has landed her first major post-Big Love TV gig, and it’s taking her across the pond.

Sevigny has been cast as the lead in Hit and Miss, a provocative new six-episode British series by Shameless creator Paul Abbott, Deadline reports. The actress will play Mia, a transgender contract killer who discovers that in a previous life he fathered several children.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• BBC has ordered 14 additional episodes of the Matt Smith-starring Doctor Who, U.K.’s Guardian confirms. Scheduling on the latest batch of eps remains up in the air, but it’s likely they’ll air in 2012.

Cristián de la Fuente (Private Practice, In Plain Sight) will guest star during the second season of Syfy’s Haven (premiering Friday, July 15). The actor is set to play a “straight-laced, conservative, mild-mannered banker” hiding a dangerous double life.

• First Lady Michelle Obama will play herself in a January episode of Nickelodeon’s iCarly, the Associated Press reports. According to network president Cyma Zarghami, Obama will promote Joining Forces, “an initiative aimed at increasing awareness and support for military families.”

• Fox just announced some tweaks to its summer schedule: Masterchef will soon become a two-night affair, with episodes airing Mondays at 9/8c (beginning June 13) and Tuesdays at 8 pm, until it moves to its new 9 pm slot on July 19; Hell’s Kitchen‘s two-night premiere will be served up on Monday, July 18 and Tuesday, July 19 at 8 pm; and Fox’s newest unscripted reality series, Buried Treasure, begins Wednesday, August 24 at 8 pm.

• On the heels of Extreme Couponing’s success, TLC has ordered High Stakes Sweepers, per TV Guide Magazine. The hour-long pilot will follow people addicted to entering — you guessed it — sweepstakes.

• Encore Westerns will pay tribute to late actor James Arness with a 24-hour Gunsmoke marathon this Saturday, June 11, beginning at “high noon” (aka 12 pm).

• Bravo’s Andy Cohen and E! News co-host Guiliana Rancic will host the 2011 Miss USA Pageant live from Las Vegas on Sunday, June 19 (airing on NBC at 9 pm).

Which TVLine Items have you talking today? Hit the comments!

1. pulguita says:

I hate June, nothing interesting is going on on TV! sigh, needed to vent*

2. I imagine that at some point in this new series that Chloe will be performing a sex act on screen since that seems to be her forte.

• John Berggren says:

And Tom Cruise only plays Irish Immigrants
      And Kathy Bates only plays rich ladies on sinking ships
      And Gwenyth Paltrow only plays medeivel ladies in drag trying to perform for Shakespeare.
      And Will Smith only plays rappers who live with rich families.

Quite ignorant of you. If you’ve never seen Chloe in any of her films, you’re not qualified speak on it.

3. Rose says:

I wish Doctor Who would replace Steven Moffat as Head Writer. He can write one or two episodes a year, as he does better when he isn’t responsible for the entire series. This year and last have been a mess.

• darclyte says:

Not everyone who watches Dr Who would agree with your opinion.

• Bruce_F says:

Exactly. I, for one, was glad that RTD finally left and I’d at least like to see what happens with the next companion before I start asking for another change at the top.

• Rowan says:

I think you are in the minority – plus Moffat doesn’t write each episode. With him as head writer, the series has become sharper and better than it was with RTD. Yes there are a couple clunkers, but all series have a couple episodes that aren’t quite up to snuff. Overall, it is more complex and better written – and I really enjoyed most of the first four seasons.

Perhaps you think it’s a mess because of the jump in sophistication in the writing, and it is a little above your level.

• RyanD says:

It seems a little lame to say somebody is only unhappy with Moffat’s writing because it’s too sophisticated for them. Honestly, when RTD stepped down I was so excited. Blink was one of the best episodes, and I loved a lot of Moffat’s pre-Doctor Who work. But honestly, I don’t feel he’s handling being in charge anywhere near as well as RTD did. I’ve found the last two seasons to be incredibly predicatable – the latest “twist” I spotted coming literally a year ago. Not to mention how Stephen Moffat managed to ruin the once awesome Weeping Angels in the episodes from last season (Showing them move, having them break necks etc).

That said, I’m not calling for him to be replaced just yet, I just think his writing was better when he didn’t have an entire show to worry about. Good on him for giving the Daleks a break this season though, they were starting to irritate me!

• jenna says:

completely agree. I don’t see why you had to be rude Rowan, people have different tastes and your taste isn’t the ‘right’ one

• melissa says:

when the weeping angels started moving I wanted to scream at the tv! In Blink they said how fast the angels moved but when we saw them move it was so slow. Definitely lost the dramatic effect with that move.

• mst3k says:

i must have missed something.. I never saw them move. They moved unseen just like they always had been described. In what scene did that happen?

• jamie says:

mst3k I believe this is the movement melissa is talking about. And I agree, it took away the more dramatic effect that the angels had in blink

• Lois says:

Blink is one of my favorite DW episodes. Moffat changed the concept of the Weeping Angels when he brought them back, and ruined them in the process.

• Bob says:

But you have to admit the spring finale episode “twist” is spectacular, right? River Song is…

• jason says:

but were you really surprised by that one bob? I think far too many people saw it coming for it to have an effect

• Lois says:

That wasn’t a surprise at all. Who couldn’t have seen that coming?

• Lois says:

DW hasn’t had a ‘jump in sophistication’ under Moffat; just the opposite. He throws lots of ideas into the scripts but doesn’t flesh out much. The characters are shallow and Moffat really doesn’t show what makes them tick.
        Moffat is the Head Writer, which makes him responsible for ALL the scripts. He assigns scripts to other writers, but Moffat is responsible for the final edit/re-write of EVERY script This is the same situation as when Russell T. Davies was Head Writer.

4. darclyte says:

Glad to see they “renewed” Doctor Who! No mention of Karen/Amy, but I hope that doesn’t mean anything.

• Rowan says:

The renewal was never in doubt. The show one of the highest rated series in the UK and it’s becoming bigger and bigger overseas. This show isn’t going anywhere for a while.

As for Karen – they won’t want to release her renewal (if there is one) until the season is over. It takes away from the jeopardy of her character if you know she’ll be back next year.

• Bob says:

She had a baby in episode 7. Would you want to run around all of time carrying a baby? I think this season will be the end of Amy and Rory. Time for a new companion.

• hayley says:

I’m surprised the trio lasted 2 seasons since with RTD there was a character change every season. I agree that its time for a new companion. The trio (in my opinion) is getting a little stale and I agree that its because I feel less of an emotional investment towards Amy.

• Sophie says:

But we know she’s not actually going to raise her baby (unless something extremely paradoxical and time-changingy happens) so that’s not a problem!

• melissa says:

I don’t know if its just me but Amy has been the first companion I don’t feel emotionally invested in. I don’t know if its because we haven’t had that much back story from her (other than meeting her in childhood) or what but I find myself just not caring. Which is so strange to me considering i did a complete 180 on Donna Noble in season 4

• Lois says:

With the other companions of the revived DW, we saw their families and lives. We understood why they wanted to go off with The Doctor, and with Martha, why she wanted to go home. We saw all of The Doctor’s companions become better people, none more so than Donna. I also did a 180 on Donna, and she became my favorite companion.

With Amy, we don’t really see her family, nor do we understand why she wants to travel with The Doctor. Rory and Amy don’t have much chemistry, and their relationship doesn’t ring true. It’s hard to care about the characters when you don’t know much about them.

• Bob says:

OMG!!! River Song is…

5. Renee says:

I’ll have to record Gunsmoke. Haven’t watched an episode since I was a little kid.

6. dee123 says:

They BOTH have other work coming up, so it’s looking like neither of them will be back.

7. Tony says:

Not for nothing, but I believe referring to a male-to-female transgender person as “he” would be considered VERY offensive.

8. Just jukes says:

All I know, is #WaitingSucks

9. MEKISHA HALE says:

It’s really interesting that the networks are really putting on all the stops of creating some interesting shows. But the hard part of is that it’s in the fall line-up. So it’s the waiting that really is the hardest.
    Actress “Chloe Sevigny show looks really good. And a few other shows that are up for the Fall Line-up.
    If only this was the season and not the fall season for these shows to debut. Oh well there is always the reruns from this season to watch.

10. JAO says:

Why isn’t anyone blogging about the last Dr. Who episode!?! I want to discuss! I want details!